What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon the new home for Sunday Ticket in 2023? (1 Viewer)

snogger

Footballguy
Article out yesterday has Amazon signing a new exclusive streaming contract with the NFL, which includes exclusive rights to a late season Saturday game:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/29/amazon-to-exclusively-stream-an-nfl-game-next-season-in-new-deal.html

As part of the new agreement, not only will Amazon air Fox’s Thursday broadcast, the company will also stream an exclusive national regular-season game on the company’s Prime Video and Twitch platforms. This year’s game will be a late-season Saturday contest, the NFL said.
:popcorn:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Long way between one exclusive game and NFL Sunday ticket. Plus the title is misleading...soonest any of this would occur is 2023.

...Sunday Ticket rights, which expire after the 2022 season

Long way between one exclusive game and NFL Sunday ticket. Plus the title is misleading...soonest any of this would occur is 2023.

...Sunday Ticket rights, which expire after the 2022 season
True.. But DirectTV is going the way of the Dodo bird :bye:  

So, the NFL is looking for a new home and I take this arrangement with Amazon as a Testing ground for who they go with.

Thanks on the date, I will update the title.

True.. But DirectTV is going the way of the Dodo bird :bye:  

So, the NFL is looking for a new home and I take this arrangement with Amazon as a Testing ground for who they go with.

Thanks on the date, I will update the title.
It's an interesting article for sure...and agree that the Amazon game is a good testing ground...but would characterize things a little differently.

Digital streaming technology has certainly emerged as a competitive distribution platform to satellite and cable since the original DirecTV deal in 2014.

So whoever wins the rights to 2023 and beyond will certainly have to have a strong digital platform. Will it be exclusively digital? Or even an exclusive provider? Not sure.

DirecTV has a huge subscriber base and is already offering digital streaming. Their 2023 bid is going to be competitive.

But hopefully this means the monopoly will end...more potential providers competing will help the consumer by bringing the prices down and both access and selection way up.

It's an interesting article for sure...and agree that the Amazon game is a good testing ground...but would characterize things a little differently.

Digital streaming technology has certainly emerged as a competitive distribution platform to satellite and cable since the original DirecTV deal in 2014.

So whoever wins the rights to 2023 and beyond will certainly have to have a strong digital platform. Will it be exclusively digital? Or even an exclusive provider? Not sure.

DirecTV has a huge subscriber base and is already offering digital streaming. Their 2023 bid is going to be competitive.

But hopefully this means the monopoly will end...more potential providers competing will help the consumer by bringing the prices down and both access and selection way up.
after AT & T bought DirecTV, they had some regrets I guess after really looking at the financials and were considering exercising an option last year to end the deal.  They eventually waited, but I don't know if there are any other options in the deal and/or if they will look to get out of it sooner anyway.

DirecTV as we know it is dead in the water.. AT&T are pushing their streaming service. In the Very near future, DirecTV will only be available to rural areas who are unable to get the AT&T service.. IMO, Dish has a better chance at getting Sunday Ticket( rumors they might just outright buy DirecTV). :shrug:

Why wouldn’t the NFL take this fully in-house once the DirectTV deal runs out? They have the NFL Network and the NFL App. Couldn’t they stream all the games to the app and get 100% of the Sunday Ticket subscription fees and the advertising/sponsorship dollars? What am I missing?

i guess going with a known/existing streaming company (like Amazon) you hope to get a much higher subscription rate from their existing customers than trying to get folks to buy into another app?

Why wouldn’t the NFL take this fully in-house once the DirectTV deal runs out? They have the NFL Network and the NFL App. Couldn’t they stream all the games to the app and get 100% of the Sunday Ticket subscription fees and the advertising/sponsorship dollars? What am I missing?

i guess going with a known/existing streaming company (like Amazon) you hope to get a much higher subscription rate from their existing customers than trying to get folks to buy into another app?
for one thing, selling the rights is guaranteed revenue for no expense.  additionally, The amount that DirecTV far exceeds what they make in sunday ticket subscriptions.  it's a loss leader for them to get people to buy their service.  The NFL would have no such incentive.  They wouldn't make as much as you might think on the subscription.

DirecTV doesn't disclose how many of its customers subscribe to Sunday Ticket, but people with familiar with the matter say there are around two million paying subscribers.Sep 27, 2019.

Further to this point, directv pays around 1.5 billion dollars per year for the rights.  In order for the nfl to get that revenue, they would need around 4 million subscribers paying full price (which surely not all of directv does).  And that’s before any additional Costs for technology/marketing etc.

Users who are viewing this thread