What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Never be broken? (other pro sports) (1 Viewer)

bro1ncos

IBL Representative
The baseball broken records thread got me thinking about other records in major sports that have very little chance of being broken. 

Gretsky has a few records that seem unattainable, but his total points in a career and season both seem untouchable. 

I think all NFL records can/will be broken especially with the upcoming 17 game seasons (NFL has never seemed to care about records when it comes to number of games/season) . Passing and receiving records being broken seem to be a forgone conclusion. I can see the season rushing record being falling. The career rushing yards may never fall simply because RB careers are shorter and the way RBs are used has totally changed. 

I can't think of any NBA records that are unattainable except maybe Russell's 11 rings, but don't think it is impossible with the way players want to be a part of super teams. 

I don't know enough about records in soccer or other sports to comment. 

Thoughts? 

Gretz is touchable career-wise, not for season. Nobody is going to score (or has ever scored) in the two hundreds again. The game was different in the early 80s, and the NHLs return to a little more wide-open hockey still isn't like 1980-85 anymore.

I don't think we'll see a season-breaking rushing performance in the NFL again, even given the extra game. But it's touchable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Even tho the next closest player (Jagr) still came up over 900 pts short? 
Yeah, wow. It's going to be tough to beat him for either, really. It's a perfect storm of talent and league style of play. Though they said the same about Magic and Bird-era scoring and look what happened in the NBA a bit.

It's just nobody before or after sniffed 200 points in a season, so it seems like a pretty tall order to break, even more so than longevity can account for. 

Gretzky's assist and points records (season+career) are untouchable. His single season goals record (92) also is untouchable. The most prolific goal scorer over the last 15 years, Alex Ovechkin, scored 65 in 2007-2008. This was his highest single season goals mark. Gretzky's 50 goals in 39 games is also untouchable. Think about that. He scored 50 goals in 39 games. By comparison, in 2007-2008, in Ovechkin's first 39 games, he scored 30 goals. 

Can Ovechkin get to Gretzky in career goals? Gretzky has 894 career goals. Ovechkin has 706 career goals in 1152 career games (this was his 15th year in the league). He turns 35 in September. 

In Gretzky's first 1125 games (first 15 years), he had 803 goals. 

Ovechkin needs 189 more goals. If he plays another 5 years until he's 40, he'd need to average about 38 goals per season. His current goals per game is about 0.61. 38 per year for the next 5 years gets him 190 more goals across (hypothetically he plays all 82 games over the next 5 years) 410 games. That's about 0.46 goals per game. Is that enough to account for general decline in performance late in one's career? Who knows. Also unlikely he plays all 410 games over the next 5 years. And who knows if he has the desire to play until 40. 

Here are some soccer ones that very likely won't be broken in my lifetime.

=====

Most goals in a calendar year: Messi's 91 in 2012 is going to be near untouchable with out rule changes.

Most consecutive World Cup appearances: Brazil owns this at 21 will likely never be caught since they simply extend the record every WC cycle

Highest Attendance at a match: The 199000+ that attended the WC final in 1950 will never be broken.  The combination of fire safety and no stadium being any where near big enough will keep this one safe for my life.

Longest goal in history: These are obviously complete flukes so maybe this could be broken some day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njREZgiu-4g

Fastest Red card in history: The ref blew the whistle to start the game, Lee Todd swore at him for being so loud and was sent off two seconds into the game :)

Most goals in a single World Cup: Just Fountain's record of 13 in one WC seems untouchable.  No one has scored even 9 goals since 1970

Ian Millar (Canadian dude) appeared in 10 Summer Olympics (equestrian).

woulda been 11 if not for Jimmah's boycott of Moscow '80. 

put that up with Wilt's 50.4 ppg. 

:coffee:

Wilt Chamberlain's 100 points in an NBA game. The closest to that was Kobe's 81. In fact there have only been nine times that a player scored over 70 points.

Wilt had five of those.

Most 30 - 30 (Points-Rebounds) Games in NBA history

• Eight players have 1
  • Three players have 2
  • Bill Russell has 3
  • Wilt has 128 !!!  8 of which were with greater than 60 points. 12 of which were with greater than 40 rebounds and 5 of which were triple doubles (with assists)!
The dude was far and away the greatest NBA center ever!

Brian Mitchell with 14,000 career kick return yards. Rules changes have brought down average single season kick return yardage a lot since the 90s.

Impossible - Edwin Moses won 122 consecutive 400M Hurdles

NFL Interception records will be tough to be beat - 14 in a season by Night Train Lane and 81 career by Paul Krause - but not impossible, no one has come that close in a long time.

Steve O'Neal 98 yard punt

Most 30 - 30 (Points-Rebounds) Games in NBA history

• Eight players have 1
  • Three players have 2
  • Bill Russell has 3
  • Wilt has 128 !!!  8 of which were with greater than 60 points. 12 of which were with greater than 40 rebounds and 5 of which were triple doubles (with assists)!
The dude was far and away the greatest NBA center ever!
You know this isn't transferable to the other thread......quit trying to build your case....hahahaha

Impossible - Edwin Moses won 122 consecutive 400M Hurdles

NFL Interception records will be tough to be beat - 14 in a season by Night Train Lane and 81 career by Paul Krause - but not impossible, no one has come that close in a long time.

Steve O'Neal 98 yard punt
It can be beaten.  Kick it into the end zone next time for a 99 yarder...

Thanx for creating!

MLB
- Luke Appling (1940) fouled off 24 pitches in a single at bat before eventually taking a walk.

Dorsett's 99 yd run from scrimmage (with only 10 Cowboys on the field) will never be broken
any play that covers 99 yds is the winner here ... impossible to break - sure, it can be tied, but if we mean "unbreakable" verbatim, then the 99 yd plays are the only ones safe. 

any play that covers 99 yds is the winner here ... impossible to break - sure, it can be tied, but if we mean "unbreakable" verbatim, then the 99 yd plays are the only ones safe. 
only line of scrimmage plays.  Interceptions & kick returns can be longer than 99 yds

Adrian Peterson has the only outside shot of catching Emmitt Smiths 18,355 rushing yards. If he can (continue to) inject copious amounts of test and HGH and is given the carries, he might just make it. Guice having bum knees allows that window to be open but ADP losing the best offensive line coach in the NFL (Callahan) might counter that. 

Adrian Peterson has the only outside shot of catching Emmitt Smiths 18,355 rushing yards. If he can (continue to) inject copious amounts of test and HGH and is given the carries, he might just make it. Guice having bum knees allows that window to be open but ADP losing the best offensive line coach in the NFL (Callahan) night counter that. 
take those away and he's Rudi Johnson  :thumbup:

Favres 297 straight games started streak. Closest one now is Rivers and he needs 53 more, might get there but doubt it as he would need to play another 4 years and he's 38 already
Ripken's consecutive game streak in MLB.

yes.  

i believe Ed Reed has a few 100+ yd returns on his resumé.

good snag. 
I think there are 2x 109 yard returns.  Ed's was only 107.

Longest Kickoff Return (109 yards)
 Cordarrelle Patterson, Minnesota Vikings vs. Green Bay Packers, Oct. 27, 2013

Longest Return of a Missed Field Goal (109 yards)
 Antonio Cromartie, San Diego Chargers vs. Minnesota Vikings, Nov. 4, 2007

Ripken's consecutive game streak in MLB.

I think there are 2x 109 yard returns.  Ed's was only 107.

Longest Kickoff Return (109 yards)
 Cordarrelle Patterson, Minnesota Vikings vs. Green Bay Packers, Oct. 27, 2013

Longest Return of a Missed Field Goal (109 yards)
 Antonio Cromartie, San Diego Chargers vs. Minnesota Vikings, Nov. 4, 2007
yeah, but i believe Reed is the only player with multiple returns over the c-note. 

31 December 1988 ... Mario Lemieux with 5 goals, 5 different ways ... even strength, power play, short-handed, penalty shot and empty net 

31 December 1988 ... Mario Lemieux with 5 goals, 5 different ways ... even strength, power play, short-handed, penalty shot and empty net 
Weak.....he couldn't even get the 6th type...……..shootout

(yes I know they didn't have shoot outs in 1988)

Mark McGwire's 70 homers in 1998, if all added up, would've made it over Mt Everest

If you take away all of Hank Aaron's HR's, he still has over 3000 hits

Here are some soccer ones that very likely won't be broken in my lifetime.

=====

Most goals in a calendar year: Messi's 91 in 2012 is going to be near untouchable with out rule changes.

Most consecutive World Cup appearances: Brazil owns this at 21 will likely never be caught since they simply extend the record every WC cycle

Highest Attendance at a match: The 199000+ that attended the WC final in 1950 will never be broken.  The combination of fire safety and no stadium being any where near big enough will keep this one safe for my life.

Longest goal in history: These are obviously complete flukes so maybe this could be broken some day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njREZgiu-4g

Fastest Red card in history: The ref blew the whistle to start the game, Lee Todd swore at him for being so loud and was sent off two seconds into the game :)

Most goals in a single World Cup: Just Fountain's record of 13 in one WC seems untouchable.  No one has scored even 9 goals since 1970
Lewandowski scoring 5 goals in 9 minutes will be hard to beat in a top league: https://youtu.be/XEfguy2M3yE

42 INTs in a season by George Blanda. Even with a longer season, I don’t see anyone beating it. Jameis Winston made a valiant effort last season, but still came up well short.

There will never be a bigger gap between the best and the next best like there is between The Great One and (insert X hockey player here). 

He's who I immediately thought of seeing this post title, and glad he was brought up right off the bat. 

I'm surprised no one mentioned Cy Young’s 749 complete games and 511 wins. The sport has simply changed where pitchers aren't pitching every day, so that will remain unbroken forever, IMO.

Celtics' 8 consecutive championships is pretty impressive.

Byron Nelson's 11 PGA tour wins - in a row.

Richard Petty's 200 NASCAR wins.

Ty Cobb's batting average.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, Engelberg said:
Favres 297 straight games started streak. Closest one now is Rivers and he needs 53 more, might get there but doubt it as he would need to play another 4 years and he's 38 already
If you count playoff games, Favre started 321 consecutive games.  Rivers is the only active player within 100, at 235. 

There will never be a bigger gap between the best and the next best like there is between The Great One and (insert X hockey player here). 

He's who I immediately thought of seeing this post title, and glad he was brought up right off the bat. 

I'm surprised no one mentioned Cy Young’s 749 complete games and 511 wins. The sport has simply changed where pitchers aren't pitching every day, so that will remain unbroken forever, IMO.

Celtics' 8 consecutive championships is pretty impressive.

Byron Nelson's 11 PGA tour wins - in a row.

Richard Petty's 200 NASCAR wins.

Ty Cobb's batting average.
Cy Young’s losses will also be tough to beat. 

Not nearly as impressive as 14-0 through the SB. :coffee:
their '72 schedule had the third lowest winning % for opponents in a season during the SB era. 

not one finished above .500

empty calories you're chewing on. 

ETA: FACTS ARE FUNNY!!!1!1!1

repeat ... FACTS ARE FUNNY!!!1!1!

their '72 schedule had the third lowest winning % for opponents in a season during the SB era. 

I’ll be full when another team runs the table. 

Wilt Chamberlain's 100 points in an NBA game. The closest to that was Kobe's 81. In fact there have only been nine times that a player scored over 70 points.

Wilt had five of those.
I don't know.  The prevalence of the 3 pter makes me wonder if someone will break this someday.  Most 3's attempted in a game is 22, I believe.  Most made is 14.  If someone were to make 15 or 16 that's 45-48 pts.  Give them 10 pts at the FT line and that's 58.  They'd need 21 two pt FG's.  

So.....

21 of 40 from 2FG
16 of 22 from 3FG
10 pts from the FT line

Ehhhh, could that happen?

I know bashing the ‘72 Fins is your hill to die on, but they played two teams that were 8-6 and three more that were 7-7.

KC: 8-6

HOU: 1-13

MIN: 7-7

NYJ: 7-7

SD: 4-9-1

BUF: 4-9-1

BAL: 5-9

NE: 3-11

STL: 4-9-1

NYG: 8-6

In the playoffs they beat the Browns (10-4), Steelers (11-3), and Redskins (11-3.) Lost their starring QB for most of the year - two backups started 12 of 17 games and most of two others - and only switched back at halftime of the AFCC. 

I know bashing the ‘72 Fins is your hill to die on, but they played two teams that were 8-6 and three more that were 7-7.

KC: 8-6

HOU: 1-13

MIN: 7-7

SD: 4-9-1

STL: 4-9-1

NYG: 8-6

In the playoffs they beat the Browns (10-4), Steelers (11-3), and Redskins (11-3.) Lost their starring QB for most of the year - two backups started 12 of 17 games and most of two others - and only switched back at halftime of the AFCC. 
of course they beat teams with winning records in the playoffs ... it was '72, not 2002 

as far as regular season ... i stand corrected, but whoop de ####in' doo ... real Murderer's Row there  :unsure:

if anyone thinks this is the greatest NFL team of all-time, have at it. 

ETA: they averaged less than 20 pass attempts per game, losing Griese (for very capable Morral) is not akin to losing Mahomes or Wilson or Rodgers, etc

Users who are viewing this thread