What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adam Trautman TE Broncos (1 Viewer)

Football Jones

Footballguy
Curious to hear what people think about this guy. I have him as my TE1 over Kmet.

It'll take some patience because of Cook, but this dude can play. Reminds me quite a bit of Kelce.

Also, I perked up when I saw the Saints trade 4 picks to move up & grab him. They have a good scouting department. Payton sounded giddy later in an interview.

Last edited:
Trautman is a receiving tight end, blocking is not his strong suit. Bu for fantasy that's awesome. Sean Payton spent a 3rd on a tight end that couldn’t block and was solely a pass catcher, remember Jimmy Graham? Remember how that worked out? He does have Jared Cook ahead of him, but Trautman should be in the driver seat by 2021.I wish I had room for him, patients will be required if you owned him, 2022 is probably a realistic start time for him. 2021 has a tremendous amount amount of talent coming out of the draft. It will be the year of the TEs.

Tex

Trautman is a receiving tight end, blocking is not his strong suit. Bu for fantasy that's awesome. Sean Payton spent a 3rd on a tight end that couldn’t block and was solely a pass catcher, remember Jimmy Graham? Remember how that worked out? He does have Jared Cook ahead of him, but Trautman should be in the driver seat by 2021.I wish I had room for him, patients will be required if you owned him, 2022 is probably a realistic start time for him. 2021 has a tremendous amount amount of talent coming out of the draft. It will be the year of the TEs.

Tex
I remember when Howard/njoku/engram was the year of the tes....hasn’t turned out that way. Of that group, engram, who leaned pass catching over blocking, is the only one who you can feel ok with as your starter. This year is “all the tes suck,” and for the prices I’ll take a chance on Kmet or Trautman, I usually have a spot or two that I’m willing to use on a wait and see type. 

Usually I wait for others to draft TE, get impatient, and I can swoop in and snag him at a reduced price.  But this one might be tempting to just take and stash.

Saints traded up with the Vikings to select Dayton TE Adam Trautman with the No. 105 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

The Saints traded picks No. 130, 169, 203 and 244 to the Vikings for pick No. 105. Trautman (6’5/255) was a four-year starting tight end at Dayton who was initially recruited as a quarterback. His receiving production improved every year, ending with 916 yards and 14 touchdowns across 11 games as a redshirt senior. On tape, he was way more physical than his small school opponents and, more importantly, he held up against Senior Bowl competition, especially as a run blocker and polished route runner. He posted a 96th percentile three-cone time at the NFL Combine, but he also ran the 40-yard dash in 4.80 seconds and is already 23 years old. Trautman was a pre-draft riser and has three-down starting upside in the NFL, but his transition from a small school to the big leagues may be tricky. He won't start ahead of Jared Cook in 2020, but a major role could be on the horizon as early as 2021.

Apr 25, 2020, 12:01 AM ET

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein wrote that Dayton TE Adam Trautman will need to improve as a blocker, as many teams project him to be an in-line tight end at the pro level.

Trautman (6'5/255) has good hands and size, with the latter attribute being the big reason why teams project him to be an in-line tight end. But in order to excel in that role, he'll have to make significant strides as a blocker. "He has a solid athletic profile, but his technique as a blocker will need to be upgraded as teams will likely expect him to play in-line due to his size," Zierlein, who believes that Trautman has Day 3 potential, wrote. Trautman moves well, with his background as a basketball player considered to be a big reason why that's the case.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 9, 2020, 2:39 PM ET

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks Dayton TE Adam Trautman first among tight ends prior to the NFL Scouting Combine in the 2020 NFL Draft class.

Trautman (6'6/253) gets the top rank despite playing for a program that has not exactly provided much NFL talent. A 6-foot-6, 251-pound "move" tight end, Brugler notes that he is a "fluid big man, and his basketball background shows at the catch point with his ability to adjust and attack." He also notes that his blocking needs work, and so does his route-running. "Overall, Trautman doesn’t have the body of work versus top-level competition," Brugler summarizes, "but his athleticism and pass-catching traits for a player his size make him a highly intriguing prospect, projecting as a player who should crack the starting lineup as an NFL rookie."

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 16, 2020, 6:02 PM ET

Pro Football Focus ranks Dayton TE Adam Trautman third among their list of top tight ends in the 2020 NFL Draft class.

Of the ten tight end prospects Pro Football Focus listed in their piece, Trautman is the only non-FBS player of the group. Trautman, a small-schooler from Dayton, is a former quarterback and has seemingly converted that knowledge into carving up defenses over the middle of the field. At 6-foot-6, 253-pounds, Trautman is a tree of a man and provides a huge target for any quarterback over the middle.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Feb 1, 2020, 5:36 PM ET

Maybe I'm wrong without looking up all the numbers, but I don't recall the Saints' scheme involving the TEs that much most years.  Goedert had more receptions than Cook and he's the number 2 TE on his team.  Cook at 51 receptions for the Saints and was a top 10 TE, but he made the most of his receptions.  I like Trautman more than any other TE in this weak class, but I'm not excited about drafting him in my rookie drafts.  Perhaps as a 4th round flier where it doesn't really matter if it works out or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm wrong without looking up all the numbers, but I don't recall the Saints' scheme involving the TEs that much most years.  Goedert had more receptions and he's the number 2 TE on his team.  Cook at 51 receptions for the Saints and was a top 10 TE, but he made the most of his receptions.  I like Trautman more than any other TE in this weak class, but I'm not excited about drafting him in my rookie drafts.  Perhaps as a 4th round flier where it doesn't really matter if it works out or not.
I think Brees and Payton are the type of smart offensive minds who will scheme for the talent they have. Just a couple years ago a very old Ben Watson got 74/825/6. Obviously Jimmy Graham had some of the best seasons in NFL history for the TE position. The biggest issue for Trautman is that he's a TE and likely won't make an impact for a year or 2 which means he probably is ready to breakout as Brees is retiring. 

He is an average speed for a TE but he does have good size and a large catch radius. He does have an athletic trump card in that he ran a 6.78 3 cone drill. This is the 5th best 3 cone time for a TE since 2010. 95th percentile 

The Saints gave up a lot to get him, so draft capital should have Trautman as one of the top rookie TE selected. After the combine he stood out to me along with a couple other guys as perhaps being that if drafted high enough. I guess this debate would be between Trautman and Albert Okwuegbunam who was selected by Denver in the 4th round, but as he is blocked by Fant Trautman seems like the logical choice. If you are just talking draft position Cole Kmet was selected first but there isn't a lot of upside there either, the QBs are worse.

Drew Brees has always liked using a TE over the middle. Part of what made Colston and now Thomas so successful is that they can catch the ball over the middle and do some of the same things that a TE can. Graham was of course the best of them but you also have Antonio Gates who was his number one target in Gates 2nd season.

Last year Taysom Hill had 400 yards and 7 TD as a TE/OW and Jared Cook had 700 yards and 9 TD

The main problem I see here for the short term is those 2 players are still with the Saints right now and ahead of Trautman on the depth chart, unless Cook is expected to be cut for some reason? Then maybe Trautman becomes more interesting.

The reason to not take a TE very high in a dynasty league is because it usually takes them 3 seasons to break out. So as 80's says, Brees might retire by the time Trautman is ready to produce.

I think he is as good as any other rookie TE prospect and the fit is favorable even though Brees might not be part of it by the time he is ready to start.

I'm not too worried about Brees retiring. As long as Payton is HC, a quality TE is going to produce given a decent QB.

This is a weak TE class, but I really like Trautman. I also like Devin Asiasi as a sleeper.

Trautman is a receiving tight end, blocking is not his strong suit.
As a Saints fan, everything I've read about him says the opposite.  While he holds Dayton's all-time records in receptions and receiving yards, he's also a great blocker.  He's said to be a complete tight end......at least that's what I've read.

As a Saints fan, everything I've read about him says the opposite.  While he holds Dayton's all-time records in receptions and receiving yards, he's also a great blocker.  He's said to be a complete tight end......at least that's what I've read.
Next year is the year to draft a TE with Kyle Pitts, Brevin Jordan, and Pat Freiermuth, anyone of which is better than last year (including Hockenson), let alone the weak 2020 class.

Next year is the year to draft a TE with Kyle Pitts, Brevin Jordan, and Pat Freiermuth, anyone of which is better than last year (including Hockenson), let alone the weak 2020 class.
OK?  Payton has a really nice track record.  I'll trust him here.  

A film study on the complete, playmaking tight end that is Adam Trautman

He racked up 916 receiving yards (second-most among NCAA TE’s) to go along with 14 TD’s (first), and his 2.71 yards per route run was tied for sixth-highest in the country. His Pro Football Focus run blocking grade was a solid 74.1.

With that being said, it’s fair to wonder how he fell so far in the draft. I’ll go ahead and give you a hint: It’s the level of competition he played against in college.

Trautman comes from the Pioneer conference in the FCS. His size and movement skills were absolutely unfair against the defenders he was going up against. They had no chance of stopping him.

But he did all he could do, which was utterly destroy the teams he went up against. Since PFF starting grading college players, the only tight end with a higher receiving grade than Trautman’s 94.3 mark was Dallas Goedert, who also went to a lower-level college.

In my Offensive Draft Sleepers piece, I wrote about how important Trautman’s Senior Bowl performance would be due to the questions about his level of competition faced.

Sure enough, he knocked it out of the park in Mobile. He showed he not only belonged on the field with FBS opponents, but that he could thrive in said environment.

NFL Week 1 Mailbag: Thoughts on Tom Brady, Denzel Mims, Justin Jefferson and more

Excerpt:

Thoughts on Adam Trautman in the Saints offense?

Trautman was, for my money, the best underneath route-runner in the draft class. He obviously lacks some top-end speed, but he can separate on ins and outs fairly easily. That's a decidedly different type of tight end from Jared Cook, who is at his best downfield and wins as a seam-runner. I think Trautman is a good complement and will play well in the Saints' quick passing offense.

Curious to hear what people think about this guy. I have him as my TE1 over Kmet.

It'll take some patience because of Cook, but this dude can play. Reminds me quite a bit of Kelce.

Also, I perked up when I saw the Saints trade 4 picks to move up & grab him. They have a good scouting department. Payton sounded giddy later in an interview.
Thanks for posting, I’ve kept thinking I needed to start this thread. I think the Saints start working him in as a serious wrinkle towards the middle of the season.

Everything 'still trending up' for Saints rookie TE Adam Trautman

Excerpt:

He didn't get the chance to get his feet wet, either, as rookie minicamp and organized team activities were canceled ahead of his introductory season in the NFL.

Even so, early in training camp, tight ends coach Dan Campbell noted that Trautman had not disappointed in his learning of the offense. 

"I would say he thinks of the game a little bit (more) like a vet than he does a rookie, which is a good thing," Campbell said. "He learns at a very high rate in regard to that. He doesn't make the same mistake twice, which is extremely encouraging."

Offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael said the same thing, noting how Trautman's been a "quick study" and has a good feel for the game.

Part of what's helped Trautman get accustomed so quickly into the Saints' offense is how he has two sort-of-coaches in his position room with veteran tight ends Jared Cook and Josh Hill.

Cook and Hill combined have 20 years playing experience, with Cook entering the league in 2009 out of South Carolina as a third-round pick and Hill catching on with the Saints in 2013 as an undrafted free agent out of FCS Idaho State.

"You can take things from both of them," Trautman said, adding that Hill is a jack-of-all-trades tight end and Cook brings elite athleticism with everything he does. "Being around those two is incredible."

Even though the season is just over a week away, the Saints are still figuring out what they envision for Trautman, though coach Sean Payton has previously said Trautman fits the mold of a "Y" tight end — a player who has the size to block, but can also work as a receiver.

Trautman said he's embracing both of those elements.

"Obviously, I think I could do both," he said. "I like to stick my hand in the dirt and run block, and be used in the passing game as well, but we're still figuring that out. I've only been here for maybe only like 25, 30 days. It sounds like a long time, but it's really not."

Whatever role he ends up playing for the Saints this season and beyond, the future appears to be bright.

"Everything's still trending up with this kid," Campbell said.

Maybe I'm wrong without looking up all the numbers, but I don't recall the Saints' scheme involving the TEs that much most years.  Goedert had more receptions than Cook and he's the number 2 TE on his team.  Cook at 51 receptions for the Saints and was a top 10 TE, but he made the most of his receptions.  I like Trautman more than any other TE in this weak class, but I'm not excited about drafting him in my rookie drafts.  Perhaps as a 4th round flier where it doesn't really matter if it works out or not.
Payton is highly flexible. The TE production was very mich a thing every year until Fleener. Fleener was very much a part of the game plan but he just outright failed, then he was out of football. The team also shifted away from RBs in the passing game (relatively, for them) until Kamara. They could just as easily switch back. Last couple years there’s been an awful lot of reliance on one WR, Thomas, and that is not overall typical Payton/Brees.

Usually I wait for others to draft TE, get impatient, and I can swoop in and snag him at a reduced price.  But this one might be tempting to just take and stash.

as a rule of thumb, i wait until a TE's 3rd years to roster them or perhaps the end of their 2nd year.

but with kittle and mark andrews making early impacts (and the general wasteland at the position), it seems a shift toward earlier production at TE may be underway. the 2nd year guys this year feel like they're still a bit pricey (hockenson, fant, irv smith) so i am starting to look at this rookie class, too.

and i like tautman's market share (97th percentile). so even though he went to a small school, at least he beasted while he was there.

seems like one of the better bets to turn into something nice after you get past the top 15, 20 guys.

as a rule of thumb, i wait until a TE's 3rd years to roster them or perhaps the end of their 2nd year.

but with kittle and mark andrews making early impacts (and the general wasteland at the position), it seems a shift toward earlier production at TE may be underway. the 2nd year guys this year feel like they're still a bit pricey (hockenson, fant, irv smith) so i am starting to look at this rookie class, too.

and i like tautman's market share (97th percentile). so even though he went to a small school, at least he beasted while he was there.

seems like one of the better bets to turn into something nice after you get past the top 15, 20 guys.
2nd year breakouts are what's most common among elite TEs. Not just Kittle & Andrews, but also Gronk, Graham, Gates, Witten, etc. And most of those guys also showed something as rookies.

There is another bucket of TEs who took longer to hit big, or gradually improved over their first several years, like Kelce, Ertz, and Olsen. But those guys are rarer, especially among TEs who hit really big. The fact that this is even a meaningfully sized bucket does make TE different from WR, but it's still not where I'd typically go looking for my dynasty TEs.

2nd year breakouts are what's most common among elite TEs. Not just Kittle & Andrews, but also Gronk, Graham, Gates, Witten, etc. And most of those guys also showed something as rookies.

There is another bucket of TEs who took longer to hit big, or gradually improved over their first several years, like Kelce, Ertz, and Olsen. But those guys are rarer, especially among TEs who hit really big. The fact that this is even a meaningfully sized bucket does make TE different from WR, but it's still not where I'd typically go looking for my dynasty TEs.

you might be cherry picking a bit here. a lot of good to great FF TEs are left off your list.

shannon sharpe, vernon davis, jared cook, ben watson, delanie walker, dallas clark, ben coates all took more than two years to become reliable FF starters. and that's along with kelce, ertz & olsen like you mentioned.

and this year, darren waller, hunter henry, tyler higbee & hayden hurst are all ranked in the top 10 and none of them broke out in their first two years.

and if you dip into the late TE1 / early TE2 area in dynasty rankings, guys like mike gesicki, dallas goedert, & austin hooper are all waiting for their breakout season and i definitely wouldn't write any of them off. then there's eric ebron, jonnu smith, blake darwin, and oj howard...

it may be that guys who break out before year 3 tend to be elite, but it's certainly not a requirement. 

i do think we'll see more of it going forward, though.

I have a spreadsheet of TE career trajectories, if you want to just look at all the good TEs and avoid cherrypicking.

For the top TEs who entered the NFL 1995-2014, here's the first season when they had a huge year (50+ VBD):

3 Tony Gonzalez
2 Antonio Gates
2 Jason Witten
5 Travis Kelce
2 Rob Gronkowski
5 Zach Ertz
2 Jimmy Graham
1 Jeremy Shockey
2 Todd Heap
5 Dallas Clark
8 Greg Olsen
2 Chris Cooley
3* Kellen Winslow

*missed prev yr

So 7/13 in year 2 or earlier and 2 more in year 3 (including 1 who missed his 2nd season). (This list is sorted by estimated career VBD, including future VBD.)

Also, all of these guys except Winslow showed something in their first 2 years. Here's their first season with >0 VBD (using this method of calculating VBD):

2 Tony Gonzalez
2 Antonio Gates
2 Jason Witten
2* Travis Kelce
1 Rob Gronkowski
2 Zach Ertz
2 Jimmy Graham
1 Jeremy Shockey
2 Todd Heap
1 Dallas Clark
2 Greg Olsen
1 Chris Cooley
3* Kellen Winslow

*missed prev yr

Yeah, that makes sense. Rookies rarely show but if they don’t bring it in year 2, it’s probably not going to happen. 

Saints TE Adam Trautman is expected to start in Week 4 against the Lions.

With Jared Cook (groin) out, Trautman is stepping into an every-down role as the only tight end on the Saints’ roster. He should see a few targets in an offense that’s also missing Michael Thomas (ankle) and hasn’t gotten much from Emmanuel Sanders and Tre’Quan Smith. Trautman is a back-end streaming option and DFS punt.

SOURCE: USA Today

Oct 3, 2020, 10:34 AM ET

I have a spreadsheet of TE career trajectories, if you want to just look at all the good TEs and avoid cherrypicking.

For the top TEs who entered the NFL 1995-2014, here's the first season when they had a huge year (50+ VBD):

3 Tony Gonzalez
2 Antonio Gates
2 Jason Witten
5 Travis Kelce
2 Rob Gronkowski
5 Zach Ertz
2 Jimmy Graham
1 Jeremy Shockey
2 Todd Heap
5 Dallas Clark
8 Greg Olsen
2 Chris Cooley
3* Kellen Winslow

*missed prev yr

So 7/13 in year 2 or earlier and 2 more in year 3 (including 1 who missed his 2nd season). (This list is sorted by estimated career VBD, including future VBD.)

Also, all of these guys except Winslow showed something in their first 2 years. Here's their first season with >0 VBD (using this method of calculating VBD):

2 Tony Gonzalez
2 Antonio Gates
2 Jason Witten
2* Travis Kelce
1 Rob Gronkowski
2 Zach Ertz
2 Jimmy Graham
1 Jeremy Shockey
2 Todd Heap
1 Dallas Clark
2 Greg Olsen
1 Chris Cooley
3* Kellen Winslow

*missed prev yr
The reason I say 3 years instead of two is because almost half of that sample size if success did not break out until their 3rd season.

I want to find these players and not ignore them because they haven't broke out by year two. I give all rookies 3 years as far as that goes but I know to be more patient with a TE than the other positions.

The injuries to TE are greater than WR also which does have an affect on things like VBD.

What the hell happened today in the Saints-Lions game? How did Trautman not even see a freaking target?!?!?! Anyone who watched the game, I'd really appreciate knowing what went down. I started him, and it's going to cost me dearly. I'd like to at least know why it went the way it did. TIA.

What the hell happened today in the Saints-Lions game? How did Trautman not even see a freaking target?!?!?! Anyone who watched the game, I'd really appreciate knowing what went down. I started him, and it's going to cost me dearly. I'd like to at least know why it went the way it did. TIA.
Rookie TE, no pre-season, probably doesn't have the whole playbook down. Little rapport with Brees at this point. Brees will look at several other players before looking at Trautman, who was probably more blocking today than going out for patterns due to game script.

It was a very run-heavy game script for the Saints today. 40 rushes versus 25 passes.

There have been times in the past where Sean Payton has gotten a green player involved to take advantage of the opposing defense not having film and not really preparing for said player. Trautman probably isn't ready to have Payton call a game for him like that, though. A comparison to a recent Saints TE as a rookie -- Jimmy Graham in 2010 had 7 targets in the first half of the season, and 37 targets over the second half.

He's precisely the type of player who needs at least a year to adjust to the big leagues. I love him for the rest of this year in any best ball format, and I'm holding through next year in dynasty. 

He's precisely the type of player who needs at least a year to adjust to the big leagues. I love him for the rest of this year in any best ball format, and I'm holding through next year in dynasty. 
The announcers referred him last night as their #3 TE. Is that accurate?

The Athletic's Katherine Terrell expects the Saints to "move on" from Jared Cook this offseason. 

This is Terrell's informed speculation, and not a sourced "report." Cook has an $8.04 million roster bonus due on the second day of the new league year, making the move something of a no-brainer for the cap-strapped Saints. Less involved in the offense this season, especially as the year wore on, Cook's 37 receptions were his second fewest since 2010. This, for a team that struggled for healthy pass-catching options. Cutting Cook would create $9.1 million in space for a team that is well north of $100 million over the cap. Cook turns 34 in April. 

Jan 26, 2021, 2:46 PM ET

The Athletic's Jeff Duncan said Adam Trautman could have a "big sophomore campaign" in 2021. 

This assumes the Saints part ways with Jared Cook, who is owed an $8 million roster bonus in March. Duncan projects Trautman as the team's 2021 starter and identified the second-year tight end as the Saints' 2021 breakout candidate. Trautman, 24, in 2020 caught 15 of his 16 targets, nine of them for first downs. Two of those receptions were big gainers of 29 and 40 yards. After standing out at the NFL combine with a 95th percentile agility score and an 81st percentile catch radius, the Saints traded up to draft Trautman with the 105th pick of the 2020 NFL draft. Cook's release could make Trautman a popular target in best ball formats this spring and summer. 

RELATED: 

Jared Cook

Feb 1, 2021, 8:16 AM ET

Trautman’s 2020 was ranked crazy high by PFF metrics and he has a very nice athletic profile. A great sleeper. 

Jared Cook and Josh Hill both released by the Saints.
With the Saints cap situation you have to believe they are not able to bring in a quality vet...so unless they surprise and take someone like Friermuth at the end of the first Trautman could be in a very good spot next season. 

Rostered in my 24 x 12 team dynasty, but a guy I would try to create space for if the current owner gets impatient.   Let's say that happens and I want to invest in a developmental tight end in the early 3rd round of a rookie / free agent draft.  How do people value the following?

Trautman

Freiermuth

Brevin Jordan

Harrison Bryant

The year of  development in the bank is definitely a plus for Trautman and Bryant.    Or does the #2 and #3 of the 2021 class have too much upside to pass up?

Users who are viewing this thread