What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Don Shula (1 Viewer)

Thanks, just came here to post this.

A GREAT.

How'd the Colts let him go? I'd love to hear that story.
After losing to the Jets in SB3 the Colts had a down year in 1969 and Shula fell out of favor with Carroll Rosenbloom.  I don't think  Rosenbloom ever got over the Jets loss.  The first ever NFL team to lose to an AFL team.  While on vacation in the Orient Carroll Rosenbloom's son Steve gave permission for Joe Robbie to speak to Shula and when Carroll got back from vacation, said he didn't give his son permission to talk to Shula. By then Shula probably had already agreed to a deal with the Dolphins, so Pete Rozelle gave the Colts their #1 draft pick.   Pretty cheap price and crappy how it all went down.  You have to give Robbie credit for his shrewd maneuvering. 

Last edited by a moderator:
After losing to the Jets in SB3 the Colts had a down year in 1969 and Shula fell out of favor with Carroll Rosenbloom.  I don't think  Rosenbloom ever got over the Jets loss.  The first ever NFL team to lose to an AFL team.  While on vacation in the Orient Carroll Rosenbloom's son Steve gave permission for Joe Robbie to speak to Shula and when Carroll got back from vacation, said he didn't give his son permission to talk to Shula. By then Shula probably had already agreed to a deal with the Dolphins, so Pete Rozelle gave the Colts their #1 draft pick.   Pretty cheap price and crappy how it all went down.  You have to give Robbie credit for his shrewd maneuvering. 
Didn't know that story - thanks.

RIP  to an NFL great.

RIP a great man, family man and the greatest NFL coach of all time. Integrity and toughness were always used in the same breath when describing Shula.

I lived in Miami in 1970, 12 years old. I went to many games all the way through his career. Before Don Shula you could get a Fins ticket for $4. After he arrived it was the same every game at the OB- sellout of 80,010 and no more cheapies.

'

While on vacation in the Orient Carroll Rosenbloom's son Steve gave permission for Joe Robbie to speak to Shula and when Carroll got back from vacation, said he didn't give his son permission to talk to Shula. By then Shula probably had already agreed to a deal with the Dolphins, so Pete Rozelle gave the Colts their #1 draft pick.   Pretty cheap price and crappy how it all went down.  You have to give Robbie credit for his shrewd maneuvering. 
That's probably why they named a stadium after him.

That's probably why they named a stadium after him.
I was at Joe Robbie stadium in 1995 when Marino broke the completion record.  Down 24-3 at halftime the Colts (Jim Harbaugh) rallied the Colts to win 27-24 in overtime.  Marino got injured in that game (came back in) and the Colts went on to play the Steelers in the AFC Championship game in a classic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny timing...I was just watching a thing about Shula on the NFL Network...you are right...he said Rosenbloom lived in NYC and was getting a ton of heat from the NFL about the Jets loss which he then pushed down to Shula...after that their relationship went south and do did Shula. 

I loved hearing the stories about him on ESPN and how tough a coach he was.

My favorite was when he was on the road and he was having trouble with his players missing curfew.  So, right before he went to bed, he gave a football and a Sharpie to the valet and told him that if any of his players showed up after midnight to get their autograph.  He even tipped the valet $100 for it.  The next day before the Dolphins were about to play their game, Shula went to the front of the team bus and read the names of the players who had signed the ball.  Then, he said whoever signed the ball was benched for the first half.  I'd really like to see Bill Belichick try to pull off something like that with the Patriots!

Another story was from Chris Berman the night the Bears played in Miami in 1985.  And right before the game, he saw all the Dolphins from 1972 on the sidelines with Shula and Berman said to himself,  "Oh, my!  They're here!  The Bears are not going to win this game!"  And, sure enough, the Dolphins beat the Bears to hand them their only loss of the season in 1985.

Don Shula was truly an icon.  The next time I go down to Miami, I'm going to go to one of his famed Shula's Steakhouses.

Watching the life story of Don Shula, you realize he was indeed the greatest NFL head coach of all time. He had more wins than Lombardi, George Allen, and Madden combined. 

We have truly lost a legend.

Users who are viewing this thread