What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2020 KBO THREAD*** (1 Viewer)

Dudley Do-Right

Footballguy
Let's do this. Opening Day in Korea is Tuesday, May 5.

ESPN will air 6 games per week. DraftKings will offer DFS.

10 teams, 144-game schedule. English language site is here.

Code:
Team 	        City 	      Stadium 	                           Capacity 	Joined
Doosan Bears 	Seoul 	      Jamsil Baseball Stadium 	           25,553 	     1982
Hanwha Eagles 	Daejeon 	  Daejeon Hanbat Baseball Stadium 	   13,000 	     1986
Kia Tigers 	    Gwangju 	  Gwangju-Kia Champions Field 	       22,244 	     1982
Kiwoom Heroes 	Seoul 	      Gocheok Sky Dome 	                   16,813 	     2008
KT Wiz 	        Suwon 	      Suwon Baseball Stadium 	           22,067 	     2015
LG Twins 	    Seoul 	      Jamsil Baseball Stadium 	           25,553 	     1982
Lotte Giants 	Busan 	      Busan Sajik Baseball Stadium 	       26,800 	     1982
NC Dinos 	    Changwon 	  Changwon NC Park 	                   22,011 	     2013
Samsung Lions 	Daegu 	      Daegu Samsung Lions Park 	           24,000 	     1982
SK Wyverns 	    Incheon 	  Munhak Baseball Stadium 	           26,000 	     2000

I think I'm going to adopt the Kia Tigers in support of Matt Williams.

And I saw some guy on Twitter say they're the KBO equivalent of the Cardinals... so that's good enough for me.

Following the NC Dinos for the same, some guy on twitter reasoning:

• - Not a founding franchise
  • - have never won a championship, but have gone to Korean Series
  • - Logan Verrett, who was a Ranger for about five minutes

What would you say this is? The third-best league behind MLB and Japan, or lower?
Probably depends on how you classify the Caribbean-ish leagues. A lot of those are winter leagues, so not really apples-to-apples.

The Mexican League is probably in the discussion as well. But, yeah, I'd say 3rd or 4th-best is probably right.

Enjoying the league so far. Great pace, a lot of balls in play, bat flips, cheerleaders even though there are no fans.

Ravech and Perez doing a nice job, I think. Learning a new league, calling games at 2AM from their basement. Tough task. 

And ESPN should pay Josh Lindblom to come in for as many broadcasts as possible. He's great. He pitched there for 5 seasons, was the MVP last year, and just signed a 3 year deal with the Brewers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
QuizGuy66 said:
🦕 Dinos for Life! 🦖

-QG
Shamefully, I think I'm wavering. I like those LG Twins.

One of their still quarantined pitchers, former Oriole Tyler Wilson, is from Lynchburg. They have Yong-Taik Park. 41 year old all-time KBO hits leader who wears delightful glasses. Seriously, it's impossible to root against this guy.

I also like that they share a city and stadium with the mighty Doosan Bears, so a chance to root for the underdog in a big rivalry. 

And I like that their cheerleaders are very spirited even in an empty stadium.

And I like wondering why a team in Seoul, South Korea is called the Twins.

And I had an LG phone once that I liked.

Shamefully, I think I'm wavering. I like those LG Twins.

One of their still quarantined pitchers, former Oriole Tyler Wilson, is from Lynchburg. They have Yong-Taik Park. 41 year old all-time KBO hits leader who wears delightful glasses. Seriously, it's impossible to root against this guy.

I also like that they share a city and stadium with the mighty Doosan Bears, so a chance to root for the underdog in a big rivalry. 

And I like that their cheerleaders are very spirited even in an empty stadium.

And I like wondering why a team in Seoul, South Korea is called the Twins.

And I had an LG phone once that I liked.
:cryingdinoemoji:

-QG

These broadcasts really are fantastic. Fitting for this very odd time. A unique and awesome viewing experience.

And they line up a few fantastic interviews every game. Especially considering the time of day. 

Heck, for this Dinos game, they've got Adam Jones popping in from Japan.

Man @QuizGuy66 Dinos really are pimps. Koo is effing dealing. 

I'm still on the fence about my love of the Dinos vs. Twins. They've got a face-off this weekend, so that may help me shamelessly decide.

Interesting thing about the pitching is the timing of these 14 day quarantines. Best I can tell, each team brings over a couple of hard throwing (92-93 mph) Americans, but many are still in the 14 day quarantine. They should be coming around soon.

Interesting thing about the pitching is the timing of these 14 day quarantines. Best I can tell, each team brings over a couple of hard throwing (92-93 mph) Americans, but many are still in the 14 day quarantine. They should be coming around soon.
Former Rangers and current Lotte Giants pitcher Adrian Sampson is supposedly traveling to Korea today to begin his quarantine.

I think I'm going to adopt the Kia Tigers in support of Matt Williams.

And I saw some guy on Twitter say they're the KBO equivalent of the Cardinals... so that's good enough for me.
It's early, but I can't imagine how this would be a good idea.

You've got a 28 man roster. By rule, only 25 of those players can be born outside of S. Korea, and thus, unlikely to have English as a first language.

Unless all the players know a lot of English (very possible) or Williams knows a ton of Korean (highly unlikely), I'd think the damn manager needs a translator. And is surely still learning the league.

It's obviously no big deal for a player to need a translator, but a manager? It's hard to see that going well. 

Can you imagine the uproar if an MLB team signed a manager that didn't speak fluent English and didn't know the league at all? Not to mention the franchise that's won 25% of league's championships. 

Actually, nevermind. There's no way Williams is really managing the team. 

Kia's got the cash to burn. They are just paying him to make a splash, shake a few hands for the cameras, then hang out at the bar all day while KBO lifers to manage the team. 

Only in the second inning but these announcers don’t seem to be anywhere near as interested/prepared as Ravech and his partner were. 

Only in the second inning but these announcers don’t seem to be anywhere near as interested/prepared as Ravech and his partner were. 
In fairness, it's Sciambi 2nd game, and Mendoza's 1st game. 

Ravech and Perez have been great. Truly impressive. But I'd expect they had a little more time to prep than the new guys. 

Though, for both games, Sciambi seems to have just woken up and is certainly taking bong rips off camera. Given the situation, I certainly can't blame him for either. 

pollardsvision said:
In fairness, it's Sciambi 2nd game, and Mendoza's 1st game. 

Ravech and Perez have been great. Truly impressive. But I'd expect they had a little more time to prep than the new guys. 

Though, for both games, Sciambi seems to have just woken up and is certainly taking bong rips off camera. Given the situation, I certainly can't blame him for either. 
I'm not a fan of the extended picture-in-picture interview innings. 

But I am a fan of Dan Straily of your undefeated Lotte Giants.  11 is a Lotte strikeouts in 7 IP.

ETA:  조지훈 응원단장이 전하는 화이팅송(어떻게?? 으막에 맞춰서~!!)

Never knew Dinos has 4 syllables 🦖🦕

-QG
Weird 1st inning for our boy Rucinski. He loads the bases, but all three of those hits came from batters that he started off 0-2.

Then, he has a beautiful bases loaded strike out on the red-hot Mel Rojas, Jr on a backdoor breaking ball. Looks like he's about out of if it. But then the catcher muffs one, then a dribbler up the middle. 

Boom. He's looked pretty good, but he's down 3-0 early. 

Apparently Rucinski and Despaigne were both Marlins together for about a week.

The 3 run Rucinski inning aside, this should be a nice pitchers duel. 

Nevermind on the pitchers duel.

If you anybody just wants to watch an inning to fall in love with Korean baseball, just check out the 1st of this KT vs. NC game. 

2 hotshot foreign pitchers throwing pretty well, but both teams with a barrage of 2 strike hits. 

Not to sound like an old-timer, but it's pretty cool to see people actually seem like they'd rather not strike out. It's been a while.

No Dinos on TV for the next few days :(

(though if you are able to get on FanDuel's sports betting site you can get live video of ALL the games - presumably in Korean).

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread