What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

KJ Hamler, WR DEN (1 Viewer)

I really like what I saw from Hamler at Penn, wondering if I should roster before he blows up. Which is a better hold, Hamler or trequan smith?

I really like what I saw from Hamler at Penn, wondering if I should roster before he blows up. Which is a better hold, Hamler or trequan smith?
Tre'Quon is moreso short term. Hamler, while the excitement is now because Sutton is out and Jeudy is questionable, may be more long-term/rest of season if he shows well. I cut Smith for Hamler.

Last edited by a moderator:
DFS community jumping on Hamler as cheap value right now also. My Flex options

Marvin Jones Jr. @ Arizona

Michael Pittman Jr.  vs. Jets

KJ Hamler vs. TB

Eff it, I'm starting Hamler in my main Flex spot. Good luck gentlemen.

Starting him today due to depleted roster. Loved watching him catch bomb after bomb at Penn State. 

KJ Hamler caught 3-of-5 targets for 30 yards in Week 3 against the Bucs.

The Broncos got Hamler involved early, giving him a designed run that went for negative yards. He was held back by Jeff Driskel, who was benched in the fourth quarter. Hamler finished fourth behind Noah Fant (10), Jerry Jeudy (8), and Melvin Gordon (6) in targets. Hamler's upside is capped by the Broncos' quarterback situation, but his role is trending up.

Sep 27, 2020, 7:47 PM ET

I never thought Driskel would be a problem for the Broncos O; he's been in this situation before last year and though he wasn't great, he was able to lead competitive drives and do ok in garbage time. He looked terrible in this game...

Hamler didn't play as well as he did against Pittsburgh. He dropped an easy one and wasn't always open. I still say he's better than Jeudy though.

Even when Hamler got seperation, Driskel was in no position to get him the ball. This quarterback did not help anybody on the offense, except maybe the running backs. He played scared - unwilling to let deeper routes to develop, dumping off at any hint of pressure. I thought he did well against the Steelers in nearly leading a comeback; but this game was just bad. I don't know if Rypien is better but it wouldn't take much. At least Rypien will hang in the pocket trying to push the ball downfield. His interception on the last drive resulted from forcing the ball to Jeudy in the endzone on 4th and 1. Terrible outcome for the Broncos, but it's what you want to see as a Jeudy or Hamler owner.

But then there's Bortles. This is just a mess.

Hamler didn't play as well as he did against Pittsburgh. He dropped an easy one and wasn't always open. I still say he's better than Jeudy though.

Driskel did not help anybody on this offense, except maybe the running backs. He played scared - unwilling to let deeper routes to develop, dumping off at any hint of pressure. I thought he did well against the Steelers in nearly leading a comeback; but this game was just bad. I don't know if Rypien is better but it wouldn't take much. At least Rypien will hang in the pocket trying to push the ball downfield. His interception on the last drive resulted from forcing the ball to Jeudy in the endzone on 4th and 1. Terrible outcome for the Broncos, but it's what you want to see as a Jeudy or Hamler owner.

But then there's Bortles. This is just a mess.
Thanks for the added color.  Much appreciated.  :thumbup:

I guess we will get a QB announcement today.

Thanks for the added color.  Much appreciated.  :thumbup:

I guess we will get a QB announcement today.
Good timing.   This situation is a good reminder that talent at WR is still tied to QB play.   I felt Jeudy would be a good WR this season and as a PSU fan, I knew Hamler has speed and skill.   If the QB is really awful, that negates WR talent quickly.   

I kinda want to play K.J. Hamler tonight against a moribund Jets secondary. Rypien is going to be the QB and K.J. is the type of guy who only needs one big play to play off in the Flex spot If a certain burnabe Jets CB is on him he's going to the house and my options aren't great.

I kinda want to play K.J. Hamler tonight against a moribund Jets secondary. Rypien is going to be the QB and K.J. is the type of guy who only needs one big play to play off in the Flex spot If a certain burnabe Jets CB is on him he's going to the house and my options aren't great.
That's a bold strategy Cotton let's see if it pays off.... 

KJ Hamler was forced from the Broncos' Week 4 game against the Jets with a hamstring injury and will not return. 

It's very bad news for a rookie who missed most of training camp and Week 1 with a hamstring issue. It also leaves the Broncos perilously thin at wideout in Courtland Sutton's (ACL) absence. Speedster Hamler had yet to draw an official target before going down in New Jersey. 

- Rotoworld
Really unfortunate that he got hurt, was in for a good workload in a game that became a shootout.

KJ Hamler (hamstring) has been ruled out for Week 5 against the Patriots.

The early rule out is a bad sign for Hamler, who missed most of training camp and Week 1 with the same injury. The Broncos will also likely be without Noah Fant (ankle) this week. Jerry Jeudy and Tim Patrick should lead the Broncos in targets in what projects as a pass heavy game.

SOURCE: DNVR Sports

Oct 7, 2020, 5:11 PM ET

KJ Hamler (hamstring) was removed from the Week 7 injury report.

Hamler has been out since a Week 3 setback with his hamstring. His return is good news for an offense that's also getting back Melvin Gordon and TE Noah Fant.  Hamler's snaps may be limited coming off injury, but there should be targets for him in what projects as a pass heavy gamescript against the Chiefs.

Oct 24, 2020, 10:17 AM ET

KJ Hamler caught 5-of-10 targets for 50 yards in the Broncos' Week 10 loss to the Raiders.

Hamler now has back-to-back games of 10 targets and he led Denver in targets this week. A second-round selection out of Penn State, Hamler is fighting Jerry Jeudy for the title of top pass-catcher in Denver. While Jeudy likely has the lead over Hamler going forward, the former Nittany Lion is shaping up to have an impressive second half of his rookie season. He may struggle to bring down some of Drew Lock's errant passes but Hamler has cemented himself as a viable FLEX option in deeper leagues.

- Rotoworld

Anyone like this guy rest of season?
10 targets the last 2 weeks isn't bad plus the occasional run.  Like Insein stated above, lots of mouths to feed. Plus I always wonder if he's going to make it through the game. Not because of any past soft tissue issues, but he seems to get crunched by 2 defenders on every pass by the time that Lock decides to throw it to him.

K.J. Hamler (concussion) entered the league's protocol.

It will likely end Hamler's rookie campaign since the Broncos have nothing to play for in the regular season finale. Hamler made the occasional splash play when healthy but was brought down due to Drew Lock's poor play and the sheer number of mouths to feed around him. Hamler desperately needs a league-average quarterback situation in 2021 to pop for fantasy teams.

SOURCE: Kyle Newman on Twitter

Dec 28, 2020, 2:25 PM ET

Broncos coach Vic Fangio said WR KJ Hamler "tweaked his hamstring" in practice.

Fangio added that the team will be cautious with Hamler. The NFL season is still a few months away so this is almost certainly a non-issue but it's at least worth noting. Hamler missed two games with a hamstring injury last year. Fangio seems more cautious than concerned so, for now, we can assume Hamler will be back on the field soon. Regardless of the injury, Hamler is the third receiver on a team projected to have a weak passing offense no matter who the starting quarterback turns out to be. He is nothing more than a long-shot in extremely deep fantasy leagues.

SOURCE: Andrew Mason on Twitter

Jun 1, 2021, 1:10 PM ET

KJ Hamler caught 3-of-4 targets for 41 yards in the Broncos' Week 1 win over the Giants.

Hamler burned Giants CB Adoree' Jackson on a deep shot but dropped what would have been a 50-yard touchdown. Broncos QB Teddy Bridgewater spread the ball out, with none of the wideouts going over 75 yards. Hamler outplayed Courtland Sutton, who had one catch for 14 yards. With Jerry Jeudy (ankle) getting carted off and potentially looking at an extended absence, Hamler’s target share and ROS outlook are pointing up.

Broncos WR KJ Hamler suffered a torn ACL in Week 3 and will miss the remainder of the season.

Hamler has struggled with injuries through two years in the league. He missed three games as a rookie with a concussion and a hamstring issue and will now log just a trio of games in his second year. It's an unfortunate time for the Broncos to lose a wideout as they'll be without Jerry Jeudy, who was placed on injured reserve two weeks ago, for at least another game. Jeudy is dealing with a high-ankle sprain and could be out longer than the minimum of three games for players who hit injured reserve. That leaves Courtland Sutton as the unquestioned WR1 in Denver with Tim Patrick starting alongside him. Patrick posted 98 yards last week and scored in the Broncos' first two games of the year. He becomes an interesting stash in deeper leagues with the loss of Hamler.

Speaking Wednesday, KJ Hamler said he's in a "good spot" with his rehab from a torn ACL and dislocated hip, and he wants to play the "Tyler Lockett role" for new QB Russell Wilson.

Hamler tore his ACL and popped out his hip -- which also required surgery -- in Week 3 last season before then losing his grandmother, admitting he was in a dark place. But he's rocked his rehab and is said to be ahead of schedule. Hamler expects to be ready for training camp. Hamler is the forgotten man behind Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy, and Tim Patrick as the No. 4 wideout, but he has more deep speed to his game at 5'9/178, and profiles similarly to the 5'10/182 Lockett. Hamler is unlikely to see starter's snaps, but he can serve as a legitimate deep threat. Hamler still has some dynasty value.

SOURCE: Zac Stevens on Twitter

May 11, 2022, 3:29 PM ET

We always used to say a guy is too short and going to wind up getting hurt. Many smallish players have done well in the league and changed this. I think Hamler is simply the former.

It is not normal for a hip to pop out when you tear an ACL. He's always been dinged up and that was just a big woah hip too?

He has an insane first step. I have no doubt he could have a big big day. He explodes off the line and if things are just right he can explode after a catch and take off.

The problem is he's not built for the pressing CB or big hitting safety. I can only imagine if a DL ever gets his hands on him. He reminds me of a little kid running away from older kids on a playground. 

It's not Welker or chrebet or cupp hopping up after a big hit like it was nothing. Every other tackle is like "woah is he ok?" And it's not just that- the very next play he is a guy that got shellacked. 

I think he's just a normal dude that is able to explode and made it way further than any of the rest of us normal people. I absolutely never see football player in this guy

KJ Hamler (knee, hip) remained limited in Friday's practice.​

Hamler is still working his way back to 100% from ACL and hip surgeries. The limited practices put him on track to play in Monday night's opener against Seattle, but it's not yet a given at this point. He shouldn't be in season-long lineups.
SOURCE: Zac Stevens on Twitter
Sep 9, 2022, 2:07 PM ET

NFL Network's James Palmer reports that WR KJ Hamler (knee) is expected to play in Week 1 against the Seahawks.​

Hamler was able to get some reps in the Broncos' final preseason game, which was a good sign for his Week 1 prospects. He got in a limited week of practice and is officially questionable for the game. Hamler is expected to operate as the Broncos' third wide receiver once fully healthy. He could split time in that role in Week 1. Hamler's speed should provide some big play upside even if he is on a bit of a snap count.
SOURCE: Around the NFL on Twitter
Sep 12, 2022, 12:45 PM ET

Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett said the team wanted to play if safe with ruling out WR KJ Hamler (knee/hip) for Week 2 against the Texans.​

"Part of the maintenance," Hackett said on Hamler sitting out this week. "We want to make sure we get him for as many games as we possibly can. It’s a unique deal what happened to him." After playing over 60 percent of snaps in Week 1, Hamler missing Week 2 looks more rest related than a setback. Hackett's comments suggest Hamler has a chance to return for Week 3.
SOURCE: 9News Denver
Sep 16, 2022, 6:29 PM ET

Yahoo Sports Jordan Schultz reports NFL teams are inquiring about in KJ Hamler.​

According to Schultz, Hamler who's still on his rookie deal, is getting more calls for his services than Jerry Jeudy because of the asking price. Although no action has been taken, Schultz stated that teams view Hamler as a deep threat option who isn't being utilized to his potential in Denver. With the Broncos now listening to offers on Hamler and Jeudy, it's clear the Broncos feel like the ship may have sailed despite it only being eight weeks into the regular season.
SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter
Oct 25, 2022, 6:35 PM ET

Yahoo Sports Jordan Schultz reports NFL teams are inquiring about in KJ Hamler.​

According to Schultz, Hamler who's still on his rookie deal, is getting more calls for his services than Jerry Jeudy because of the asking price. Although no action has been taken, Schultz stated that teams view Hamler as a deep threat option who isn't being utilized to his potential in Denver. With the Broncos now listening to offers on Hamler and Jeudy, it's clear the Broncos feel like the ship may have sailed despite it only being eight weeks into the regular season.
SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter
Oct 25, 2022, 6:35 PM ET
It makes sense that teams are nibbling around the edges of "cheap and useful". Hamler probably fits that mold.

KJ Hamler played 70% of snaps in the Broncos' Week 8 win over the Jaguars.​

Hamler's role remained unchanged in this one, as the third-year receiver has now played on 40+ snaps in back-to-back weeks. Hamler hauled in two-of-three targets against the Jaguars, with his longest play coming on a 47-yard bomb from Russell Wilson in the fourth quarter. Hamler has been on the field plenty in recent weeks, is nothing more than a boom-or-bust option for fantasy.
Oct 31, 2022, 12:41 PM ET

Broncos WR KJ Hamler (hamstring, IR) has been ruled out for the season.​

Hamler was placed on IR in Week 13 and eligible to return in Week 17. With Denver playing out a lost season, the Broncos will shut Hamler down for the final two games. Injuries limited Hamler, who returned from ACL surgery, to seven games this year. Hamler should be 100 percent for the start of Denver's offseason.
SOURCE: Denver7.com
Dec 9, 2022, 7:56 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread