What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summer Activities (1 Viewer)

rascal

Footballguy
With covid a lot of our previous plans and activities have been cancelled (kids camp, swim lessons, etc).

Kids are already starting to go a bit crazy, along with the wife, so trying to think of some ideas of what we can do.

Thoughts?

Going to try to teach the kids how to fish.

Thinking of putting a basketball hoop in my driveway although it's not really big enough.

Try to play with the drone more.

Build rockets and launch them.  Did this a few years ago and was pretty fun.

May check out what geocaching is all about.

We built a swing set using these brackets. Also bought the other they sell that goes in the middle to extend it another section. 

Built a pull up bar exactly like this one. I'm going to build a dip station as well. 

Wife and I are considering having a concrete patio installed and buying a hot tub. I'd love a pool but it just doesn't make a lot of sense financially. We want less responsibility, not more. 

Considering renting a condo at extremely secluded beach for two weeks. 

We go for walks almost daily wit the kids. We stay away from the parks and school playgrounds where the morons all hang out together. 

Not really a summer activity but I'm currently building a combo wood shed/trashcan and recycling shed out of pallets. I'll posta pick when im finished. Im pretty proud of this one. 

May check out what geocaching is all about.
My 9 year old son and I started doing this last summer.  Pretty fun and a great way to get outdoors.  I did a search here a while back and was surprised there was no discussion about it, thought it was something a segment of the FFA would be into.  

My 9 year old son and I started doing this last summer.  Pretty fun and a great way to get outdoors.  I did a search here a while back and was surprised there was no discussion about it, thought it was something a segment of the FFA would be into.  
I could have sworn there was a thread in here a few years ago.

Any tips for a beginner?

I could have sworn there was a thread in here a few years ago.

Any tips for a beginner?
Maybe should start a thread for this but the most basic tip is to review the details of the cache(s) before you go out searching: 

• Read the description as it will typically include important details about what you’re looking for.  Also sometimes there’s a hint you can read as well.  
  • There’s a “difficulty” rating which is what it sounds like, though that’s somewhat subjective so you’ll learn as you go.  
  • A “terrain” rating which is important for understanding what you’ll be dealing with (e.g. an urban cache hidden under a mailbox will be a 1.0, while something that requires rappelling down a cliff might be a 5.0).  
  • And a “size” rating which helps indicate what you’re actually looking for - many urban caches are literally the size of your thumbnail, these are micro caches that just have a small paper log rolled up inside them or something.  A regular size cache will be something like a tupperware container, these are more likely to contain tradeable items, etc.  
  • Check the activity log for a cache before you go looking.  If there are several DNFs (did not find) in a row it’s likely the cache has gone missing and you’re wasting time looking for it.  Alternately you can feel good about going after one that has been found recently.  Also read through the comments, there are sometimes useful hints, photos of the location, etc. that may be useful in your search.  
  • As a corollary, always log in the app whenever you find OR don’t find a cache you go looking for, either way that information is useful to the community.  
Always bring a pen to sign the log, as more often than not there won’t be one.  I also typically bring a small pad in case the log is full / wet / missing / etc.  Can just write your name on a sheet and leave it in the cache as a new log.  Optionally bring some small tradeable items if you’re looking for caches with stuff in them, this is part of the appeal for the kids - the idea is if you take something from the cache you should leave something equal for the next person (imagine the small trinkets you can buy for 10 tickets at the arcade or something, nothing of great value).  

If you’re using your phone for navigating, once you get within 20 feet or so of the location it’s best to just put it away and search with your eyes.  The GPS on your iphone is usually not going to lead you to literally the exact spot the cache is located, it’ll be closse enough and then the fun is in the search.  If you have a dedicated GPS device those are presumably more accurate (I’ve never used one). 

There’s more but those are the basics, I’m mostly still a beginner myself but happy to answer any specific questions you have. 

Geocaching is a great family activity.  If you live in tick country, make sure you're wearing your repellent.    Maybe get some dedicated clothing that you can coat in permethrin.   

Maybe should start a thread for this but the most basic tip is to review the details of the cache(s) before you go out searching: 

• Read the description as it will typically include important details about what you’re looking for.  Also sometimes there’s a hint you can read as well.  
  • There’s a “difficulty” rating which is what it sounds like, though that’s somewhat subjective so you’ll learn as you go.  
  • A “terrain” rating which is important for understanding what you’ll be dealing with (e.g. an urban cache hidden under a mailbox will be a 1.0, while something that requires rappelling down a cliff might be a 5.0).  
  • And a “size” rating which helps indicate what you’re actually looking for - many urban caches are literally the size of your thumbnail, these are micro caches that just have a small paper log rolled up inside them or something.  A regular size cache will be something like a tupperware container, these are more likely to contain tradeable items, etc.  
  • Check the activity log for a cache before you go looking.  If there are several DNFs (did not find) in a row it’s likely the cache has gone missing and you’re wasting time looking for it.  Alternately you can feel good about going after one that has been found recently.  Also read through the comments, there are sometimes useful hints, photos of the location, etc. that may be useful in your search.  
  • As a corollary, always log in the app whenever you find OR don’t find a cache you go looking for, either way that information is useful to the community.  
Always bring a pen to sign the log, as more often than not there won’t be one.  I also typically bring a small pad in case the log is full / wet / missing / etc.  Can just write your name on a sheet and leave it in the cache as a new log.  Optionally bring some small tradeable items if you’re looking for caches with stuff in them, this is part of the appeal for the kids - the idea is if you take something from the cache you should leave something equal for the next person (imagine the small trinkets you can buy for 10 tickets at the arcade or something, nothing of great value).  

If you’re using your phone for navigating, once you get within 20 feet or so of the location it’s best to just put it away and search with your eyes.  The GPS on your iphone is usually not going to lead you to literally the exact spot the cache is located, it’ll be closse enough and then the fun is in the search.  If you have a dedicated GPS device those are presumably more accurate (I’ve never used one). 

There’s more but those are the basics, I’m mostly still a beginner myself but happy to answer any specific questions you have. 
Any specific websites?

It wasn’t cheap but GB my wife for convincing me to install an in ground pool last year. We are certainly going to get our money’s worth this summer.

Next up - turning my garage into a pool house/man cave/bar.

It wasn’t cheap but GB my wife for convincing me to install an in ground pool last year. We are certainly going to get our money’s worth this summer.

Next up - turning my garage into a pool house/man cave/bar.
This might be the first summer that I wish I had a pool.   This has the makings of being a rough one and I only have my kids half the time.   

With covid a lot of our previous plans and activities have been cancelled (kids camp, swim lessons, etc).

Kids are already starting to go a bit crazy, along with the wife, so trying to think of some ideas of what we can do.

Thoughts?
We're in the same boat. Plus, our summer family trip was cancelled due to corona. Ouch. 

- Gardening. Daughter now helps my wife with it. They're growing both flowers and veggies. 
- More DIY in our daily life now, both son and daughter like it. Teaching them to use power tools is really fun and handy for real life. You can even build smth together.
- We also got a foldable tennis table (Joola, if it matters). Playing with my son a lot. 
- Visiting local museums when it's possible. 
- Family bike rides when the weather is fine. 
- If you have any good - and not overcorwded - parks near you, try bird and animal watching (we're using iNaturalist for our observations and it's fun). Keep journal and take photos. 

I would like to rent a summerhouse and take them out for hikes and stargazing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
posted this in the outdoor gadget thread and Cats thread and figured it needs to be copied here as it would also entertain families and be an "activity" to involve/educate kids:

Squirrel Buster Standard Bird Feeder:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABGSX4S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have 3 cats that love to sit and watch the backyard............so i bought this and decided to hang it from the gutter right outside their window about 2 feet away from the house. 
It's been about a month now and it's perfect because we now have birds come by and feed each day (mostly bluejays and cardinals).   The cats love it and they are now entertained.
The best part about it is that it really works........it's fun to watch squirrels try to figure it out but the spring mechanism closes when the weight of a squirrel is on it.  I think they finally gave up.   (UPDATE:  The squirrels are still trying to figure out how to get to the birdseed, but not successful)

Users who are viewing this thread