What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 greatest songs of 1971 #1 “When the Levee Breaks” Led Zeppelin (2 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
My latest countdown thread. 1971 was, in the opinion of many (including me) the greatest single year ever in the history of popular music. So I made a list.

As with all my countdowns this is completely objective and authoritative. If you disagree with any ranking, inclusion or omission, simply keep in mind that my personal tastes are superior to yours. 

100. “Vincent” Don McLean 

99. “Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves” Cher 

98. “A Horse With No Name” America 

97. “Long Distance Runaround” Yes 

96. “Outa Space” Billy Preston 

95. “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey” Paul & Linda McCartney 

94. “Quicksand” David Bowie

93. “Don’t Pull Your Love Out” Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds 

92. “Day After Day” Badfinger

91. “Mercedes Benz” Janis Joplin 

90. “Walk Away” James Gang 

89. “Northern Sky” Nick Drake 

88. “Crayon Angels” Judee Sill 

87. “Angel from Montgomery” John Prine

86. “You Can Close Your Eyes” James Taylor 

85. “(I Know) I’m Losing You” Rod Stewart and the Faces 

84. “I Am...I Said” Neil Diamond 

83. “Love Her Madly” The Doors 

82. “The Battle of Evermore” Led Zeppelin 

81. “Willin’” Little Feat

80. “Bargain” The Who 

79. “Maggot Brain” Funkadelic 

78. “It Don’t Come Easy” Ringo Starr

77. “Never Been to Spain” Three Dog Night 

76. “Misty Mountain Hop” Led Zeppelin 

75. “The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys” Traffic 

74. “Sister Morphine” The Rolling Stones 

73. “Jeepster” T-Rex

72. “The Song Is Over” The Who

71. “Wild Night” Van Morrison 

70. “You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere” Bob Dylan 

69. “Rock and Roll” Led Zeppelin 

68. “L.A. Woman” The Doors 

67. “Take Me Home, Country Roads” John Denver 

66. “Madman Across the Water” Elton John 

65. “Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me” The Temptations 

64. “Sway” The Rolling Stones 

63. “Getting In Tune” The Who 

62. “California” Joni Mitchell

61. “Oh My Love” John Lennon 

60. “Sweet Lady Mary” Faces

59. “I’d Love to Change the World” Ten Years After 

58. “Sunshine on My Shoulders” John Denver 

57. “Peace Train” Cat Stevens 

56. “Mother Goose” Jethro Tull 

55. “Rainy Days and Mondays” Carpenters 

54. “So Far Away” Carole King 

53. “Roundabout” Yes 

52. “I Shall Be Released” Bob Dylan 

51. “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” Carole King 

50. “Black Dog” Led Zeppelin 

49. “Happy Xmas (War is Over) John Lennon

48. “Moonlight Mile” The Rolling Stones 

47. “Mr. Big Stuff” Jean Knight 

46. “Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress” The Hollies 

45. “Theme from Shaft” Isaac Hayes 

44. “Every Picture Tells a Story” Rod Stewart

43. “Locomotive Breath” Jethro Tull

42. “My Old Man” Joni Mitchell

41. “Family Affair” Sly & the Family Stone 

40. “Riders on the Storm” The Doors 

39. “You’ve Got a Friend” James Taylor/Carole King (tie) 

38. “Bang a Gong (Get it On) T Rex 

37. “Morning Has Broken“ Cat Stevens 

36. “Superstar” Carpenters

35. “I’ve Seen All Good People” Yes 

34. “Baby Blue” Badfinger

33. “It’s Too Late” Carole King

32. “Stay With Me” Faces  

31. “Brown Sugar” The Rolling Stones 

30. “Queen #####” David Bowie 

29. “I Feel the Earth Move” Carole King 

28. “That’s the Way I’ve Always Heard It Should Be” Carly Simon 

27. “Respect Yourself” The Staple Singers 

26. “Me and Bobby McGee” Janis Joplin 

25. “Changes” David Bowie 

24. “American Pie” Don McLean 

23. “Aqualung” Jethro Tull

22. “Going to California” Led Zeppelin 

21. “Can You Get to That” Funkadelic 

20. “Tupelo Honey” Van Morrison 

19. “Levon” Elton John 

18. “Oh! You Pretty Things” David Bowie 

17. “A Case of You” Joni Mitchell 

16. “Mandolin Wind” Rod Stewart 

15. “Behind Blue Eyes” The Who 

14. “Imagine” John Lennon 

13. “Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)” Marvin Gaye 

12. “Wild Horses” The Rolling Stones 

11. “Baba O’ Riley” The Who 
10. “Life On Mars?” David Bowie 

9. “Tiny Dancer” Elton John 

8. “Maggie May” Rod Stewart

7. “Stairway to Heaven” Led Zeppelin 

6. “Won’t Get Fooled Again” The Who 

5. “Ain’t No Sunshine” Bill Withers 

4. “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” The Rolling Stones 

3. “Let’s Stay Together” Al Green 

2. “What’s Going On” Marvin Gaye 

1. “When the Levee Breaks” Led Zeppelin 

Last edited by a moderator:
100. Don McLean “Vincent” (from American Pie)

https://youtu.be/4wrNFDxCRzU

Known forever as “the other Don McLean song”. The painting “Starry Night” by Van Gogh can be found at the Museum of Modern Art in New York (MOMA) and I annoyed my wife by humming this song when we saw it. 

I like this song but one of my favorite jokes about it, don’t know who said it, is that if Van Gogh had heard it he would have cut off both ears. 

https://youtu.be/4wrNFDxCRzU

Known forever as “the other Don McLean song”. The painting “Starry Night” by Van Gogh can be found at the Museum of Modern Art in New York (MOMA) and I annoyed my wife by humming this song when we saw it. 

I like this song but one of my favorite jokes about it, don’t know who said it, is that if Van Gogh had heard it he would have cut off both ears. 
My wife plays this song at least five times a day - sometimes much more and sometimes various cover versions. In other words, I'M NOT CLICKING ON THAT LINK!!!

It's a decent song but it drives me crazy hearing the same song over and over.

But when there was no hope in sight
On that starry, starry night
You took your life and something something something
But I could have told you, Vincent
The world was never made for one as beautiful as you

I can cite that on demand because of Me First and The Gimme Gimmes

Welcome back, Tim.

I just was really struck by Me First and The Gimme Gimmes' band name. Hwarf again.

Last edited by a moderator:
99. Cher “Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves” (from Cher)

https://youtu.be/dLTETaWswCY

This was the song that launched Cher’s solo career. She wanted something more “serious”, dealing with social issues- a trend she continued with 1973’s “Half-Breed” (I actually once met one of the writers of “Half-Breed”, Mary Dean, years ago at a wedding.) The band accompanying her is Los Angeles’ famed Wrecking Crew. They use a little too much organ for me but that’s typical of the time period. The lyrics are cheerfully cheesy- not quite as awful/awesome as “One Tin Soldier” but in the same vein. The melody is folky and delightful. Cher’s vocals show some maturity here over her teen duets with Sonny. Variety shows and a future acting career were yet to come. 

This was the song that launched Cher’s solo career. She wanted something more “serious”, dealing with social issues- a trend she continued with 1973’s “Half-Breed” (I actually once met one of the writers of “Half-Breed”, Mary Dean, years ago at a wedding.) The band accompanying her is Los Angeles’ famed Wrecking Crew. They use a little too much organ for me but that’s typical of the time period. The lyrics are cheerfully cheesy- not quite as awful/awesome as “One Tin Soldier” but in the same vein. The melody is folky and delightful. Cher’s vocals show some maturity here over her teen duets with Sonny. Variety shows and a future acting career were yet to come. 
I hate this song so so much.

As sung by Richie Sakai (by way of Dan Castellanetta).

Lawyers, Guns and Money > Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves
Oh I agree. But the former is from 1977 and thus not eligible. 

Incidentally, Excitable Boy is one of my all time favorite albums. So full of goodness. I can’t think of a weak song. Warren had a decent career after that, but never really matched the grandeur of his first two efforts. 

98. America “A Horse With No Name” (from America

https://youtu.be/zSAJ0l4OBHM

In the immortal words of Randy Newman, this is a song about a kid who thinks he’s taken acid. It also sounds a whole lot like Neil Young. The band doesn’t seem to be embarrassed by this fact, they’ve always taken it as a compliment. I gotta think though that Neil would have penned slightly better lyrics than “there were plants and birds and rocks and things”. 

Anyhow it IS very catchy and pleasant to listen to. If you like this sort of thing. And I do. 

Oh I agree. But the former is from 1977 and thus not eligible. 

Incidentally, Excitable Boy is one of my all time favorite albums. So full of goodness. I can’t think of a weak song. Warren had a decent career after that, but never really matched the grandeur of his first two efforts. 
Yeah, I know. That was in reference to the comment about whether you were going with 1971-1999 (which I knew you weren't).

In the immortal words of Randy Newman, this is a song about a kid who thinks he’s taken acid. It also sounds a whole lot like Neil Young. The band doesn’t seem to be embarrassed by this fact, they’ve always taken it as a compliment. I gotta think though that Neil would have penned slightly better lyrics than “there were plants and birds and rocks and things”. 

Anyhow it IS very catchy and pleasant to listen to. If you like this sort of thing. And I do. 
Song helped me learn that heat was hot.

This was the song that launched Cher’s solo career. She wanted something more “serious”, dealing with social issues-
Ofcourse she got political.

She was fighting for her people...

Tramps. Baa Daa Boom Bing...  Rimshot

----------------------------

I actually quit a job because of Cher.  True story.

Summer of 1990.  I was working security at an outside amphitheater in Colorado (Fiddlers Green).  It was supposed to be a fun summer job and it was till I had to work Rush and then Cher was on the calendar.  I didn't bother to pick up my last paycheck and I don't think I phoned-in to tell them I was quitting.  I just couldn't handle Cher.

97. Yes “Long Distance Runaround” (from Fragile

https://youtu.be/La9Me7alNqA

The 1971 edition of the band Yes consisted of: 

Jon Anderson: Vocals 

Steve Howe: Guitar 

Chris Squire: Bass 

Rick Wakeman: Keyboards 

Bill Bruford: Drums 

What an incredible ensemble this was! Putting aside Anderson (who is kind of an acquired taste vocally somewhat in the same way Geddy Lee is) all of these guys were among the best at their respective instruments who ever lived. And they never really sounded as well put together as they did on Fragile. “Long Distance Runaround” was on the B-side of another song which I’ll get to later, but DJs and radio listeners on AOR enjoyed it so much it became a standard. (At which point the discord started because Anderson, who wrote the lyrics, claimed ownership, while Howe and Squire insisted it was a collaborative effort, and that started the squabbling which eventually led to the breakup of this version of the band. These egos were never going to last together very long. ) 

Anderson claims the song is about organized religion, and the second verse is about Kent State, though there’s no way you can tell either fact from the obscure lyrics. I just love listening to it. Though I enjoy all of the instruments involved, inevitably my ear always returns to Squire’s bass because he is playing a countermelody through most of the song. Love that. 

What an incredible ensemble this was! Putting aside Anderson (who is kind of an acquired taste vocally somewhat in the same way Geddy Lee is) all of these guys were among the best at their respective instruments who ever lived. And they never really sounded as well put together as they did on Fragile. “Long Distance Runaround” was on the B-side of another song which I’ll get to later, but DJs and radio listeners on AOR enjoyed it so much it became a standard. (At which point the discord started because Anderson, who wrote the lyrics, claimed ownership, while Howe and Squire insisted it was a collaborative effort, and that started the squabbling which eventually led to the breakup of this version of the band. These egos were never going to last together very long. ) 

Anderson claims the song is about organized religion, and the second verse is about Kent State, though there’s no way you can tell either fact from the obscure lyrics. I just love listening to it. Though I enjoy all of the instruments involved, inevitably my ear always returns to Squire’s bass because he is playing a countermelody through most of the song. Love that. 
all great players to be sure but, if Steve Howe dont join this band before The Yes Album, we dont know who they are today any better than we know Gentle Giant

97???

nfw 97.  

if this song could process food, those processed food remnants would be better than the next 90 songs.  

There is nfw that “Long Distance Runaround” is 97th best song of 1971.  I’ve enjoyed reading your threads and disagreed with a lot of your Dylan rankings as I’m a huge Dylan fan but I think overall you did a decent enough job.  But this ranking is absolutely ludicrous.  

There is nfw that “Long Distance Runaround” is 97th best song of 1971.  I’ve enjoyed reading your threads and disagreed with a lot of your Dylan rankings as I’m a huge Dylan fan but I think overall you did a decent enough job.  But this ranking is absolutely ludicrous.  
reaction

this cannot stand

My wife plays this song at least five times a day - sometimes much more and sometimes various cover versions. In other words, I'M NOT CLICKING ON THAT LINK!!!

It's a decent song but it drives me crazy hearing the same song over and over.
So you would not listen, you did not know how
Perhaps you'll listen now.

timschochet said:

https://clyp.it/hlhyb4pu

Binky The Doormat said:
97???

nfw 97.  

if this song could process food, those processed food remnants would be better than the next 90 songs.  
At first glance I saw the topic and thought, I'm not seeing a ton of songs but then I started to dig and 1971 is one of the most incredible if not the greatest year for songs EVA!

I hope that it isn't just established pop or limited to AOR and included one-hit-wonders who put out some great songs that year.

Lots of meat left on the 71 bone Bink.

95. Paul and Linda McCartney “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey” (from Ram

https://youtu.be/DupyAkOZLYA

Beginning with the second side of Abbey Road, Paul McCartney for a few years enjoyed taking song fragments he had been working on and mashing them together. This is one of those efforts, “Band on the Run”, which came out a couple of years later, was another. Of the three “multi-songs” I just mentioned, “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey” is the weakest, but it’s still quite good, still vintage McCartney that some find annoying but most adore. 

Despite the artist name, Linda had very little to do with it. I think she played some keyboards. Later that year, Paul changed the name of his band to “Paul McCartney & Wings”. 

I'm looking forward to eventually seeing the entire list as I think that 1971 was a great year for music!

Users who are viewing this thread