What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 greatest songs of 1971 #1 “When the Levee Breaks” Led Zeppelin (1 Viewer)

19. Elton John “Levon” ( from Madman Across the Water)

https://youtu.be/f9sP_rt9c_k

And Jesus, he wants to go to Venus

OK so Bernie’s lyrics are a little silly here. They still roll off the tongue pretty well. And what makes this tune is Elton’s magnificent piano  melody, one of his very best, and his singing, which is underrated. The link is to a live version back in the day which displays just how talented a performer this guy truly was. 
Great song

19. Elton John “Levon” ( from Madman Across the Water)

https://youtu.be/f9sP_rt9c_k

And Jesus, he wants to go to Venus

OK so Bernie’s lyrics are a little silly here. They still roll off the tongue pretty well. And what makes this tune is Elton’s magnificent piano  melody, one of his very best, and his singing, which is underrated. The link is to a live version back in the day which displays just how talented a performer this guy truly was. 
God's Holy Trousers, does this mean i'm gonna have an Almost Famous moment in the frikkin Top 10 of this annus mirabilis?!? Not bloody likely - I quit!

18. David Bowie “Oh! You Pretty Things” (from Hunky Dory

https://youtu.be/ixLm9eSYldE

The great Rick Wakeman (have we mentioned him yet?) joins Bowie on piano for one of his greatest songs which is “ostensibly” about the younger generation merging with superior extraterrestrials at the expense of their elders- if this sounds a little like Nazis in space, well, that’s the sort of thing Bowie flirted with at times. Set to a music hall tune, somehow the whole thing becomes a work of art. 

Yeah we had an 8-track player on our boat in 1969 and the family station wagon by the next year.

The internet says in 1973, 71% of the recorded music sales were vinyl records. Tapes represented the other 29% of music sales in that year, with the large majority of those sales (84.2%) being represented by 8-track tapes and the rest were mostly cassette tapes.

Man, I feel like in the next 3-5 years that totally flipped. Everyone I knew had moved onto cassettes by the time I got to high school (‘76-‘80), and we were constantly recording LPs or making mixed tapes for each other.
The fact that 8 tracks could not be reversed hurt imo. Cassettes had that plus size and sound quality. And no clunks in the middle of a song.

I remember being in my older cousins' cars and they had to jam a book of matches by the tape so they could play some of their 8 track tapes.

I think it helped the tape make contact with the heads.
Yes, right up there with the other audiophile nightmare of taping a quarter to the tone arm to keep the needle on the record.

So now you are including songs on your greatest songs of 1971 list just because they got California in the title? Hell, why not?  That makes as much sense as the other arbitrary choices I have seen here that seemed like they were picked out of a hat. 

I guess if this trend continues in this theme, we should soon see:

Carole King "Back to California" - released at the end of that year.

Norman Greenbaum "California Earthquake" - This seems like a Tim twofer, as it not only mentions California but an earthquake too!

Mama's and Papa's "Pacific Coast Highway" - California not in the title but the highway runs almost the entire state coastline and technicalities haven't stopped you so far. 
Weird take.

I haven't chosen to accept your superior attitude, which explains why your list has at least about a dozen choices that won't be found on any greatest  top 100 list of 1971 that has ever been done except yours. 
You don’t have to read this thread if it bothers you this much. 

17. Joni Mitchell “A Case of You” (from Blue)

https://youtu.be/0YuaZcylk_o

Earlier, at #42, this list had “My Old Man”, about Joni’s love affair with Graham Nash; “A Case of You”, written a few months later, is about their breakup. It’s largely regarded, along with “Both Sides Now” and “Woodstock” as her finest effort, and it’s actually much more sophisticated than those two great songs. The chord changes are much more influenced by jazz than by folk, which foreshadows her career after this record.

Joni was never as constant as the northern star, but she was awesome nonetheless. 

Leroy Hoard said:
The fact that 8 tracks could not be reversed hurt imo. Cassettes had that plus size and sound quality. And no clunks in the middle of a song.
I don't think I'm over the trauma of having "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth" on Meatloaf's "Bat Out Of Hell" abruptly end and then start again when the tape switched to the next part.

Luckily my friend Jim had it on LP for our listening pleasure (it was a picture disc too, remember those?)

17. Joni Mitchell “A Case of You” (from Blue)

https://youtu.be/0YuaZcylk_o

Earlier, at #42, this list had “My Old Man”, about Joni’s love affair with Graham Nash; “A Case of You”, written a few months later, is about their breakup. It’s largely regarded, along with “Both Sides Now” and “Woodstock” as her finest effort, and it’s actually much more sophisticated than those two great songs. The chord changes are much more influenced by jazz than by folk, which foreshadows her career after this record.

Joni was never as constant as the northern star, but she was awesome nonetheless. 
I grew up in Joni's hometown. So, every year in music class we had to learn another of her classic songs. Her odd tunings of the guitar drove me crazy and I could never master them. I blame Joni for the fact I am not currently a filthy rich, rock guitar god.

I'm sure my complete lack of musical talent has nothing to do with it.

I don't think I'm over the trauma of having "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth" on Meatloaf's "Bat Out Of Hell" abruptly end and then start again when the tape switched to the next part.

Luckily my friend Jim had it on LP for our listening pleasure (it was a picture disc too, remember those?)
I promise this is my last 8 track post in here. Double LPs like Physical Graffiti or Quadrophenia were the solution to this part of the 8 track problem. One album side per track, no interruptions.

16. Rod Stewart “Mandolin Wind” (from Every Picture Tells a Story

https://youtu.be/AlCLTWRFVyI

Oh I never was much with romantic words, so the next few lines come really hard 

Don’t have much, but what I got is yours, except of course, my steel guitar 

Ha! ‘Cause I know you don’t play, but I’ll teach you someday because I love ya

So sings Rod Stewart in this masterful ballad, one of the very best folk rock songs ever written. 

northern exposure said:
Or inserting a ballpoint pen into one of the holes on a cassette tape to manually rewind the tape when some of it spilled out. That was if you were lucky and the player didn't "eat" the tape.
A butter knife worked, too. 

Still waiting for the classic albums by Black Sabbath and the Moody Blues from 1971 to be featured in this countdown. :popcorn:
Parinoid was a great album, but that was 1970.  Masters of Reality from 71 is considered the classic metal album, but never listened to it.  Is it better? 

And Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, the Moody Blues album of 1971, is not very good IMO. Really the only song worthy of this list is “The Story In Your Eyes” but I couldn’t find room for it. 

15. The Who “Behind Blue Eyes” (from Who’s Next

https://youtu.be/dMrImMedYRo

Originally this was supposed to be the villain’s song from the Lifehouse project, something along the lines of “Uncle Ernie” or “Cousin Kevin” from Tommy. I’m so glad they ended up not going there, because the idea  that Daltrey is not necessarily playing a character, but could actually be expressing Pete’s inner thoughts makes the song much darker and hence richer IMO. In any event it’s an extraordinary effort both musically and especially lyrically; the line “my dreams are not as empty as my conscience seems to be” might be as good as anything Townshend ever wrote. 

Parinoid was a great album, but that was 1970.  Masters of Reality from 71 is considered the classic metal album, but never listened to it.  Is it better? 
No, but it's still a really good album, with several three metal classics (Sweet Leaf, Children of the Grave, Into the Void), plus a few killer deep cuts.

And Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, the Moody Blues album of 1971, is not very good IMO. Really the only song worthy of this list is “The Story In Your Eyes” but I couldn’t find room for it. 
:no: :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, at Rate Your Music, which is a good site for album rankings, Master of Reality is number 2 for the year 1971 (and that site generally does not favor metal).

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/1971
I have to ask how they get the ratings because it looks like individuals make their own list.  For the year 1971 their are pages and pages of individuals who made lists.

For instance this page is a list by some dude who has three albums, two by Alice Cooper:

A list by SrEspeso

1  Alice Cooper

Love It to Death (1971)

2  Alice Cooper

Killer (1971)

3  Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin [IV] (1971)
I have to question if they compile the lists of the people on their site because... well.  I'm dubious about their list from 71.

I have to ask how they get the ratings because it looks like individuals make their own list.  For the year 1971 their are pages and pages of individuals who made lists.

For instance this page is a list by some dude who has three albums, two by Alice Cooper:

A list by SrEspeso

I have to question if they compile the lists of the people on their site because... well.  I'm dubious about their list from 71.
Their rankings are based solely on ratings from users, instead of a bunch of jugheads running a site and ranking them.  It's not a definitive list or anything, but considering how popular the site is, it's not a bad site to reference. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That voting reminds me of when Random House issued their Experts’ list of the 100 best novels of the 20th Century: #1 was Ulysses, #2 was The Great Gatsby, etc. Then they decided To open it up to Internet voting: #1 was Battlefield Earth, #was Atlas Shrugged. 

I'll take it over that Joni Mitchell stuff, IMO.

We can all be thankful that One Tin Soldier was released in 1969. We’re not quite out of the woods yet, though - the Cloven cover version used for the “film” Billy Jack was released in 1971.
Sadly no room. And I am certainly betraying my youth here because the timschochet of 1971 would have ranked Coven’s version of “One Tin Soldier”  second only to “Take Me Home, Country Roads” as greatest song of the year or perhaps ever. And as you for you mocking it: go ahead and hate your neighbor. 

Users who are viewing this thread