What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

35.20 or 21 Steve Winwood - Back in the High Life

(1986)

Totally forgot about this one or I would have taken this roooooooounds ago. Definitely over Glass Animals. I remember hearing a lot of this as a kid riding around with my parents, and my special lady friend loves his music. no idea how i forgot about this one. The rhythm section is so good and tight I had to look up who was on the album credits. Turns out Winwood did almost all of it. Excellent album that has fallen too far here so i'm gonna snatch it up.

If this is playing loud enough that rescue boats can hear Chaka's backing vocal on Higher Love I might just wave them on. 

songs:

Higher Love

Finer Things
Another steal. I just saw Winwood a year or 2 ago and he’s still got it

Going back to another post-30 double dip for an album that should have gone long ago. This is stacked with so many classics and was a backdrop to my early high school years. Yo Mama selects:

35.19 - U2 - War (1983)

1 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

2 - Seconds

3 - New Year’s Day

4 - Like a Song ...

5 - Drowning Man

6 - The Refugee

7 - Two Hearts Beat as One

8 - Red Light

9 - Surrender

10 - 40
MTV premiered the New Year's Day vid on New Year's Day '83. The first real evidence of the 2nd level U2 was gonna hit in their music and popularity, it replaced Prince's 1999 as the video you kept turning the TV on hoping to see.

Going back to another post-30 double dip for an album that should have gone long ago. This is stacked with so many classics and was a backdrop to my early high school years. Yo Mama selects:

35.19 - U2 - War (1983)

1 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

2 - Seconds

3 - New Year’s Day

4 - Like a Song ...

5 - Drowning Man

6 - The Refugee

7 - Two Hearts Beat as One

8 - Red Light

9 - Surrender

10 - 40
INSANE value.

The only reason I didn't take it many rounds ago is I already had another U2 album.

MTV premiered the New Year's Day vid on New Year's Day '83. The first real evidence of the 2nd level U2 was gonna hit in their music and popularity, it replaced Prince's 1999 as the video you kept turning the TV on hoping to see.
My memory is failing, was that the one with the live concert footage from Red Rocks? 

That video gave me chills as a 14 year old.

They had some cool videos in the beginning, including that New Year's Day one, Two Hearts, and Gloria on the barge. Was contemplating War all draft long, but the latter day U2 just wore me out of them. Still a much bigger fan of their first three albums.

34.38: Van Halen - Fair Warning (1981)

With all due respect to the debut, this is the Van Halen fan's Van Halen album.

Sinner's Swing

Unchained

35.03: Zebra - Zebra (1983)

Another band that got accused of being too Zeppelin-ese, but they had a nice sound for a short stay and I think still holds up. Have always had a huge following in Long Island and New Orleans. 

Tell Me What You Want

Who's Behind The Door
35.03: Living Colour - Vivid (1988)

Pretty groundbreaking for the time. Plus the best lead singer to ever appear in Oliver Stone's Platoon.

Cult of Personality

Open Letter (To A Landlord)

Last edited by a moderator:
They had some cool videos in the beginning, including that New Year's Day one, Two Hearts, and Gloria on the barge. Was contemplating War all draft long, but the latter day U2 just wore me out of them. Still a much bigger fan of their first three albums.
U2 just could never surpass their first moment in my recollection - 4 Irish boys singing rock in Latin on Dublin's Grand Canal (which i knew well from summerly trips in my youth) in Gloria. when soonafter i heard that their practice house was in our family's part of Dublin (Dun Laoghaire), i became a fan at a level i didnt think my jading experience would ever allow me to be

34.38: Van Halen - Fair Warning (1981)

With all due respect to the debut, this is the Van Halen fan's Van Halen album.

Sinner's Swing

Unchained
Of course Eddie can play the impossibility fast and clean solos but the riff in Unchained is one of the best guitar riffs ever.  This playlist has really been filled up with great music in the last 24 hours.  Thank you all for your dedication to this music draft.   

35.07 Blondie - Autoamerican 1980

This record touches on all kinds of different genre.  It's great from top to bottom, but has two of my top five Blondie tunes.

The Tide is High

Rapture
Love it.   Have I mentioned that I have a thing for cool women?   Is Blondie the coolest woman ever?   Hell if I know but she is really cool.   I have been in love with her before I even knew what love is.   

KarmaPolice said:
:lol:

I would be interested to hear what some of those where.  

You were probably on the cusp of the Napster/mp3 wave when you hit the college age, so I would image it might me a little different experience that way since people would have access to more albums and you didn't get hammered with the same Beck and Weezer songs on a loop in the dorms.  
I'm over whelmed trying to coherently respond to this. You're right about the napster/mp3 wave - it peaked during my sr year in high school then sustained into college before itunes slowly took over. Nu metal, boy bands, female mickey mouse clubhouse graduations, and bastardized versions of country/punk/post-grunge are flowing through my heard. If I had to just blurt out 5 songs it'd be Nookie, This Is How You Remind Me, Bye Bye Bye, I'm A Slave For You, and The Way You Love Me.

Please don't make me say any more. I'm already gonna have night tremors.

Rd 35

Black Market Clash - The Clash (1980)

sorta like their "Hey, Jude", if you will ... a culling of b-sides, remixes, unreleased, and new material - smack dab in the middle of "London Calling" & "Sandinista" ... and, ya know what? i'd rather have this than either of the other two. 

this band was yuuuuuge to me back then ... my favorites - and snatching this at a fleabag jernt in Babylon was a revelation ... i didn't know it existed, so all of this was brand spanking new to a Clashphile who thought he knew it all. 

... then they lost me on "Sandinista" big time ... and i'm no fan of "Combat Rock" at all, i'll leave it at that. 

this here nine song EP was emblematic of the best intentions of what they aspired to be ... a terrific romp through their genre bending wont, and all of the "swings" here are Home Runs, unlike the platters that would follow. 

good buddy Don Letts is on board, so the Reggae/Dancehall/Dub was very prominent ... as well as a couple of choice covers. 

as i moved on from this band (selling out "London Calling" to ####### Jaguar? ehhh), i grew less concerned with their radical chic, and more interested in the sonic brilliance their music laid out ... in small doses. 

this is that perfect dose ... a supreme appetizer of all that made them so vital, but without all the bloated filling.  it's a lean ride through Camden Town - gotta love it. 

Side one:

"Capital Radio One" – 2:09

"The Prisoner" – 3:00

"Pressure Drop" (Toots Hibbert) – 3:30

"Cheat" – 2:06

"The City of the Dead" – 2:26

"Time Is Tight" (Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Al Jackson) – 4:05

Side two:

"Bankrobber/Robber Dub" (Strummer, Jones, Mikey Dread) – 6:16

"Armagideon Time" (Willie Williams, Jackie Mittoo) – 3:50

"Justice Tonight/Kick It Over" (Williams, Mittoo) – 7:00

The Prisoner   the greatest Clash song nobody ever talks about - best lyric the ever laid, imo ... Jonesy on vocal works so well here, couldn't see Joe pulling this one off - my favorite Clash song. 

Armagideon Time  can't help loving the living #### outta this one, it never gets old ... best foray they ever made into this kinda space - killer.  

man, when they HIT, there ain't much better. 

plz add to Spotty list, TYVM ✌

Have got to get something from the best band from our friends to the south(sorry Rush fans)-- The Tragically Hip. This is my fav album by them and listen to it at least once a week when I need a break from the metal. The hard part is picking the 2 songs to spotlight- everyday it seems I change my mind as almost every track is stellar. After giving it a listen earlier today these are the 2 that made the cut for today.

The Tragically Hip- Road Apples(1991)

Little Bones

Cordelia

I'm fine with whatever number you guys want to go to.  Binky, sorry I've been no help this morning; very busy workday.  Just catching up now while I eat an omelet.

####IMG PHONE.

just spent 10 mins writing this up and got nothing...will rewrite and add tracks later.

32.30....The Brand New Heavies- Heavy Rhyme Experience, vol 1 (1992)
i still have this jewel case right next to me at my desk.  Though it is empty, and lots of my discs are mixed up or lost...

I don't know that I've ever noticed it spelled the first way
Just found this on grammarly:  "An omelet (or omelette) is a type of egg dish, often served at breakfast or brunch. Neither spelling is wrong, but there are some guidelines for when to use which. Omelet is the standard spelling in American English. ... The British spelling, omelette, is actually the modern French spelling."

You are tres chic.

Users who are viewing this thread