What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

ANNOUNCE:  Re-announcing for anyone who doesn't read every post (why???).  KP indicated last night that he won't be able to enter songs into the playlist anymore, so please either (1) enter them your own damn self, or (2) let one of your friendly neighborhood drafters know that they should enter your picks for you.  I am entering Uruk's and can do anyone, but not everyone, else's, too.

Smaller announce:  Please double-check your picks on the spreadsheet now and then.  Right now I notice that we are missing a 24th round pick from Mister CIA on there, and I'm sure we have other mistakes, too.  @Mister CIA, can you help with this one?

Signed,

The Staff
@shuke @Nigel Tufnel and anyone else who missed it.

FYI, I went back and checked and looked like I had some picks back to round 23 that were not added to the playlist.

Does anybody ever watch Stephen Colbert? I usually watch his opening monologue type thing. His Trump stuff makes me laugh, and he usually nails it.
Every night since October, 2005. 

I loved the Colbert Report and, although I was worried about him taking over a major network late night show,  think he has been great on the Late Show. 

And before that on The Daily Show. 

FYI, I went back and checked and looked like I had some picks back to round 23 that were not added to the playlist.
Yeah, as mentioned it was only loosely based on which round we were in, but was actually just a hard cut-off sometime on 5/30.  So if you were behind in picks at that time, you'll have more that are missing.

@wikkidpissah I'm going back through your last couple to ensure they were entered (which they weren't), since I vowed to do that.

ETA:  wikkid, yours are caught up now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elbow - One Day Like This - Anthem.  

Chris Stapleton - TN Whiskey - This one caught my ear when it came on.  Nice shuffling beat and Stapleton has a nice high register.  Went on a minute too long.

Richard Buckner - Jewelbomb - This is a cool rocking tune.  I remember him.  He used to be based in SF I think.

Pretenders - Talk of the Town - Martin Chambers has got to be the second most Ringoest drummer ever.

Golden Smog - Another Fine Day - Good noisy track.  Are these guys a supergroup or is that just Smog.  

Radiohead - Everything in its Right Place - A glass of lemonade would be nice right now.

31.10 - Dave Matthews Band - Listener Supported (1999)

Live album with pretty much all of my favorite Dave songs on it.

I'm so, so sorry.  I give you permission to skip these songs when they come up on the playlist.  It's a 9-minute version of "#41" and a 14-minute version of "Two Step".

"#41"

"Two Step"
That #41 is worth a click if you haven't already.  So chill.

I'm down the DMB rabbit hole tonight.  When I arrived in the dorms at URI back in September of 95, Dave was just taking off.  I had brought Under the Table with me and was trying to Bisco everyone with it.  None were having it unfortunately.  In the Fall of 1995, I was alone in my obsession. By early 96, Dave was all you heard on campus.  It really was amazing how fast they exploded on the scene, and how big this band was from 96ish until 2006ish.  They deserve much more respect than they received in this draft imo.  

I listened in headphones while playing euchre for a bit just now, so not full attention but shout outs to:

Arabian Nights - Siouxie

Mother We Just... - New Radicals

Forgotten Eyes - Big Thief

Feelin Satisfied - Boston

The Medication... - The Eels

Also totally not by design but that list might hit the 70s/80s/90s/00s/10s superfecta? I don't know exact year on Siouxie or Eels but they feel 80s/00s

Supertramp - Take the Long Way Home - I like their earlier more proggy stuff better but this is a lovely piece of Pop.

The Band - Chest Fever - Their harmonies always sound so casual but they're spot on.  Ten stars for the french horn.

Foo - Walking After You - The transition from Everlong to this song is so great.

Doobies - Another Park Another Sunday - Never heard this before only know the hits.  It's a good song but the guitar solo broke the momentum a bit.

Talking Heads - Mind - Fear of Music has the best blacked out album cover ever

matthew sweet- monday monday... kinda straight up, except for the chipmunks doing backing vocals. meh

maggie rogers- alaska... new artist to me. I like the instrumentation. digging the vocal layering. I like.

bad brains- she's calling you... well, sure. one of the first bands I thought of for this draft... and then promptly forgot to draft them.

built to spill- you were right... they were never quite in my sweet spot, but I always liked them. good tune.

freddie king- I'm tore down... feel like this is the second time I'm hearing him. I liked him last time, but not in the mood for blues this time. .

ac/dc- live wire... floppinho did a bunch of their tunes with school of rock, so I have a soft spot. don't know this one as well... tbh, sounds like the rest of their stuff- which is good.

depeche mode- halo...  I was a big fan for their first couple albums and then mostly lost touch with them. don't hate, but not feeling this one.

stevie wonder- smile please... this was the first of his albums I bought. nice and less obvious selection for the playlist. a national treasure.

the cleftones- heart and soul... doo dah dippity. feel like I should be heading to the sock hop later. fun to hear... once. 

I believe that every heart is kind
Some are just a little underused
Hatred is a symptom of the times
Lost in these uneducated blues

I just want to love you while I can
All these other thoughts have me confused
I don't need to try and understand
Maybe I'll get up, turn off the news

Turn off the news and build a garden
Just my neighborhood and me
We might feel a bit less hardened
We might feel a bit more free
Turn off the news and raise your kids
Give them something to believe in
Teach them how to be good people
Give them hope that they can see
Hope that they can see
Turn off the news and build a garden with me

Round 34  An Evening With John Denver  (1974)

I don't really like live albums that much, but I love this one.  John Denver never hit a bad note in his life as far as I can tell.  His personality and rapport with the audience really comes through here.  And it's a double album.  More lyrical goodness!  I have no idea what to pick, so whoever helps me with Spotify can pick, I guess.

Farewell Andromeda (Welcome To My Morning)

Matthew

Rocky Mountain Suite (Cold Nights In Canada)

Sweet Surrender

I wish I could have been at this concert.  At least with this album, I can be just a bit.

36.21 Augustus Pablo - East of the Nile

(1977)

another one I'm not sure is on anyone's radar but I would like some dub on my island. And imo Augustus Pablo had it when it comes to dub reggae. This is a mostly instrumental album showcasing his melodica and it is vintage 70s reggae. 

Songs:

Nature Dub

Memories of the Ghetto

Edit: doesn't look like this is on Spotify...bummer

Uruk, I added your Good/Bad/Ugly songs and the first one above, but I could not find the second one above on Spotify.  Is anyone else able to locate it?  If not, let me know if you'd rather select something else for the playlist.
Let's just ride with the one you found. Thanks for checking.

Still playing catch up on Jimi, slightly obsessed at the moment as I've been collecting anything I can get my hands on( mostly vinyl) this set released last year is an expansion of the Band of Gypsies LP with Buddy Miles, all the Fillmore East concerts over the course of NYE and NYD 1969/1970.  Mind blowing stuff and sounds phenomenal on vinyl, and I would call this essential for any fan.

36:23 Jimi Hendrix ‎– Songs For Groovy Children (The Fillmore East Concerts) - 2019 (via NYE 1969/1970)

Tracklist

• Dec. 31, 1969 - First Set
  • Power Of Soul5:30
  • Lover Man3:14
  • Hear My Train A Comin'9:06
  • Changes5:58
  • Izabella3:29
  • Machine Gun8:54
  • Stop5:30
  • Ezy Rider5:55
  • Bleeding Heart6:38
  • Earth Blues6:24
  • Burning Desire9:40
  • Dec. 31, 1969 - Second Set
  • Auld Lang Syne3:55
  • Who Knows8:40
  • Fire5:15
  • Ezy Rider4:24
  • Machine Gun13:51
  • Stone Free17:22
  • Changes8:06
  • Message To Love3:37
  • Stop7:02
  • Foxey Lady6:45
  • Jan. 1, 1970 - First Set
  • Who Knows9:32
  • Machine Gun12:33
  • Changes7:04
  • Power Of Soul6:19
  • Stepping Stone5:20
  • Foxey Lady6:45
  • Stop5:43
  • Earth Blues5:50
  • Burning Desire8:22
  • Jan. 1, 1970 - Second Set
  • Stone Free13:25
  • Power Of Soul9:10
  • Changes9:33
  • Message To Love5:25
  • Machine Gun12:13
  • Lover Man2:35
  • Steal Away5:53
  • Earth Blues6:21
  • Jan. 1, 1970 - Second Set (Continued)
  • Voodoo Child (Slight Return)5:45
  • We Gotta Live Together9:29
  • Wild Thing3:13
  • Hey Joe3:57
  • Purple Haze4:55
http://spillmagazine.com/spill-album-review-jimi-hendrix-songs-for-groovy-children-the-fillmore-east-concerts/

Despite passing away at an untimely age, just under 50 years ago and considering he only really enjoyed a truly extraordinary career that spanned only four years, it is equally shocking as it is amazing that in 2019, there is still unreleased music from Jimi Hendrix. Songs For Groovy Children: The Fillmore East Concerts documents four concerts performed by Hendrix and The Band Of Gypsies at The Fillmore East on New Year’s Eve 1969 and New Year’s Day 1970. What’s more, the box set also includes well over two dozen unreleased tracks making Songs For Groovy Children a true landmark among the vast collection of live material from Hendrix.

From the very beginning, with the emcee introducing the band, you will be hooked as the band dives into “Power Of Soul”. I was immediately impressed with just how immersive the record proved to be from the very get-go, capturing the excitement and thrill of the 1969 New Year’s Eve performance and delivering it today. It goes without saying that Hendrix and the Band Of Gypsies are effortlessly tight – as a band and as individual musicians – however, this being their debut performances, Songs For Groovy Children is especially exciting and captures an incredibly strong debut.

It must also be mentioned that the recordings were mixed and mastered by none other than long-time Hendrix engineer, Eddie Kramer. His work on Songs For Groovy Children is exceptional; not only are all the musicians crystal clear, but their performance is truly electrifying and this stems equally from their performance on the day and Kramer’s work. Without him, Hendrix and co. would still have delivered a great live record, but it is Kramer’s work that puts Songs For Groovy Children a cut above most.

Over the course of 43 tracks, Hendrix blasts through classic material from all sides of his career with a sense of wild abandon. While a number of tracks make multiple appearances throughout the length of the album – “Machine Gun” is performed four times while many others are played at least twice – they all feel new and different from each other as the band indulges in different solos, extended sections, and all-out jams. This is even more impressive when you consider these four concerts were performed over the course of two nights, back to back. These varying performances are especially exciting to listen to and provide a deeper understanding of the musical direction Hendrix would have likely taken over the next few years as he blends rock, psychedelia, funk, soul, and jazz elements together at a level unlike anything before. Front to back, Songs For Groovy Children is full of highlights, but the conclusion of the final concert, including “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)”, “Wild Thing”, “Hey Joe”, and “Purple Haze” is simply jaw-dropping.

Definitively, Songs For Groovy Children: The Fillmore East Concerts stands among not only some of the best live records to come out from Hendrix and his estate, but also among some of the greatest live albums of all time. Hendrix and The Band Of Gypsies’ performance is simply brilliant and overflowing with a level of chemistry and passion that you’d be hard pressed to find elsewhere. Furthermore, despite being recorded half a century ago, Kramer’s mix truly brings the concert to life making it sound, from purely and audio perspective, better than even some live recordings from the last decade. All in all, Songs For Groovy Children: The Fillmore East Concerts captures Hendrix at the upswing of what was perhaps his greatest creative and performing peak, making it an essential collection of music for all. Once again, I am further reminded that if I ever stumbled upon a time machine, my first stop would be any Hendrix performance from the ‘69/’70 era.

@PIK95ITC

@wikkidpissahITC

@wazoo11ITC

The Latest

• 36.1cosjobs-skip-
  • 36.2simey-Gram Parsons-GP
  • 36.3rockaction-skip - timed out-
  • 36.4Mister CIA-permaskip-
  • 36.5Bonzai-skip Tuesday-
  • 36.6RedmondLonghorn-Killing Joke-Night Time
  • 36.7MAC 32-skip-timed out prior pick - owes pick-
  • 36.8Dr Octopus-Pete Townshend-White City: A Novel
  • 36.9Ilov80s-Big Thief-U.F.O.F.
  • 36.10Hov34-10 minute clock-skip timed out-
  • 36.11rcam-Violent Femmes-Why Do Birds Sing?
  • 36.12Mr Ected-skip until I catch up-
  • 36.13Mrs Rannous-skipped after 15 min clock-
  • 36.14JZilla-@ and then skip-
  • 36.15landrys hat-Baby Huey-The Baby Huey Story
  • 36.16krista 4-Elvis Costello-Spike
  • 36.17Raging weasel-AC/DC-High Voltage
  • 36.18Eephus-Bruce Springsteen-Tunnel of Love
  • 36.19otb lifer-Johnny Winter-Still Alive and Well
  • 36.20Binky the Doormat-skip-
  • 36.21Buffaloes-Augustus Pablo-East of the Nile
  • 36.22Yo Mama-The Cure-The Head on the Door
  • 36.23mphtrilogy-Jimi Hendrix ‎-Songs For Groovy Children (The Fillmore East Concerts)
  • 36.24shuke-Jim James-Eternally Even
  • 36.25The Dreaded Marco-The Jesus and Mary Chain-Automatic
  • 36.26Chaos Commish-permaskip-
  • 36.27Charlie Steiner-The Human League-Hysteria
  • 36.28Long Ball Larry-skip until further notice-
  • 36.29Abrantes-skip until further notice-
  • 36.30El Floppo-Tropical #### Storm-A Laughing Death in Meatspace
  • 36.31Steve Tasker-permaskip-
  • 36.32Northern Voice-The National-Alligator
  • 36.33Uruk-Hai-Just keep me on skip. I'll catch up later to.-
  • 36.34PIK95-ITC-
  • 36.35wikkidpissah-ITC-
  • 36.36timschochet-permaskip-
  • 36.37wazoo11-ITC-

Looks like I owe one...

I need to get Nirvana on my island. But I couldn’t tell you the last time I queued up Nevermind, In Utero, or the other one beginning-to-end. I probably listen to this rendition of it once per month though.

Round 36 - Vitamin String Quartert - Master Series: Nirvana's Nevermind (2010)

Probably that whole getting older thing. I can’t pick In Bloom because Sturgill’s rendition is better, so we’ll go with…

Breed – I don’t know if it’s better than the original, but the fact that I’m debating my favorite from the original kinda answered the question whether to add it or not.

Territorial Pissings – I think I just instinctively picked the two most aggressive tracks from the original

36.21 Augustus Pablo - East of the Nile

(1977)

another one I'm not sure is on anyone's radar but I would like some dub on my island. And imo Augustus Pablo had it when it comes to dub reggae. This is a mostly instrumental album showcasing his melodica and it is vintage 70s reggae. 

Songs:

Nature Dub

Memories of the Ghetto

Edit: doesn't look like this is on Spotify...bummer
That's the one where he's holding a giant wood pipe and red-eyes exhaling a massive ripper?

Hadn't thought of that for here, but a fun record.

ETA...just clicked the first link...different Pablo album. This is a good one too.

36.34 R.E.M. Out of Time 1991

This is actually the S.O.D. in my opinion.  It may be their best record, and it probably has their best song in Losing My Religion.  This record is loaded with great tunes and is really fun.  Give it a spin if you are not familiar with it.

Half a World Today

Me In Honey (a lil Kate B52 help)

Edited to add: This may be the best record I took all draft.  KRS-One is the first voice you hear on the record which is unexpected.

I will decided on songs later, but if we are going 50 albums my collection will for sure need some more dance/pop/gin music, so I need to start in on that for the next few rounds since a lot has been taken already.  

36.40:  JANELLE MONAE - THE ARCHANDROID (2010)

37.01:  GIRL TALK - FEED THE ANIMALS (2008)

I will decided on songs later, but if we are going 50 albums my collection will for sure need some more dance/pop/gin music, so I need to start in on that for the next few rounds since a lot has been taken already.  

I've been mulling some Girl Talk albums, nice to see him get picked.

I don't know enough about her- but what I've heard, I've liked. Was just talking about her to my 12yo musician son.

That #41 is worth a click if you haven't already.  So chill.

I'm down the DMB rabbit hole tonight.  When I arrived in the dorms at URI back in September of 95, Dave was just taking off.  I had brought Under the Table with me and was trying to Bisco everyone with it.  None were having it unfortunately.  In the Fall of 1995, I was alone in my obsession. By early 96, Dave was all you heard on campus.  It really was amazing how fast they exploded on the scene, and how big this band was from 96ish until 2006ish.  They deserve much more respect than they received in this draft imo.  
I think there's a lot of irrational dislike for their music, but I still love the stuff.  They were my actual first concert, 1999-ish?  I've fallen out with his newer stuff over the years, but every so often I'll go to one of his live shows and it's still great.  For awhile it seemed like he would tour every summer, but it's been a few years now since I've seen him.  I have a couple coworkers who will do a mini-tour and follow him city-to-city for like 3-4 nights like Deadheads used to.

I think there's a lot of irrational dislike for their music, but I still love the stuff.  They were my actual first concert, 1999-ish?  I've fallen out with his newer stuff over the years, but every so often I'll go to one of his live shows and it's still great.  For awhile it seemed like he would tour every summer, but it's been a few years now since I've seen him.  I have a couple coworkers who will do a mini-tour and follow him city-to-city for like 3-4 nights like Deadheads used to.
I have a bunch of friends that do the mini tours.  His voice got screwed up, or just changed a couple of years back unfortunately.  Maybe it will come return, but I doubt it.

I only know of her because my wife makes me watch the Masked Singer :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread