What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (6 Viewers)

I probably wouldn’t go so far as to say I prefer Syd’s playing to Gilmour’s but it’s a nice contrast. Crunchier, punkier, more garagey maybe. Idk

36.xx Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)

Astronomy Domine

Lucifer Sam
big cosign on this ... i mentioned earlier in the thread that i'm really digging into Syd these days, and i had my eye on this one - muchmuchmuch more in love with this PF than the post Syd stuff, which i can handle in small doses only. 

it is fascinating ####, definitely fits all you described it as 👍

I am surprised @Ilov80s hasn't grabbed some yet.  
Yeah, that is a good call. I honestly haven't heard her full albums- I just know some of the singles and they are very good. Funny story, one of my students 2 years ago had a Janelle Monae concert shirt on and so I engaged her a conversation about it. She got invited by a friend to the show. She said she was really surprised to find out Monae was a singer, she just knew her for her social advocacy. Though that probably isn't typical for teens, this kid was really aware and got a summer internship after sophomore year to work at the New York Times and she was the projectionist for a local old movie house. 

• 36.35wikkidpissah-ITC-
  • 36.36timschochet-permaskip-
  • 36.37wazoo11-ITC-
  • 36.38zamboni-You can skip my next two-
  • 36.39Nigel Tufnel-Pink Floyd-The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
  • 36.40Karma Police-JANELLE MONAE-THE ARCHANDROID
  • 37.0--
  • 37.1Karma Police-GIRL TALK-FEED THE ANIMALS
  • 37.2Nigel Tufnel-ITC-
  • 37.3zamboni-You can skip my next two-
  • 37.4Wazoo11--
  • 37.5timschochet-permaskip-
@wikkidpissahITC

@wazoo11ITC

@Nigel TufnelITC

@wikkidpissah with two ITC

@wazoo11with two ITC

we can add an ITC at 11am EST I suppose...

• wikkidpissah-ITC-
  • timschochet-permaskip-
  • wazoo11-ITC-
  • zamboni-You can skip my next two-
  • Nigel Tufnel-Pink Floyd-The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
  • Karma Police-JANELLE MONAE-THE ARCHANDROID
  • --
  • Karma Police-GIRL TALK-FEED THE ANIMALS
  • Nigel Tufnel-White Reaper-The World’s Best American Rock Band
  • zamboni-You can skip my next two-
  • Wazoo11-ITC-
  • timschochet-permaskip-
  • wikkidpissah-ITC-
  • PIK95-the Beach Boys-All Summer Long

36.34 R.E.M. Out of Time 1991

This is actually the S.O.D. in my opinion.  It may be their best record, and it probably has their best song in Losing My Religion.  This record is loaded with great tunes and is really fun.  Give it a spin if you are not familiar with it.

Half a World Today

Me In Honey (a lil Kate B52 help)

Edited to add: This may be the best record I took all draft.  KRS-One is the first voice you hear on the record which is unexpected.
You think it is better than Automatic For the People  that came out a year later?

Last edited by a moderator:
36.35 Honky Tonk Angel, Ellen McIlwaine (1972)

Most likely, i would be a very wealthy man if i'd never heard this record. When i did, my last year as a nobody, i thought i was hearing the Next Big Thing. A bigger voice than anyone this side of Aretha but as well used soft as hard, guitar chops yet to be matched (in 60s Greenwich Village after-hour jams w Jimi Hendrix, he is known to have quit more than once from her smakyak) and a boldness which belied the position of any woman in music to that point. I was thrown into her path but a couple years later and ruined myself in the music business trying to be the Galahad for a person who couldnt let anyone else fight her battles. As a result, i'm doing music drafts from my parents' basement and this record has been out of print for over 40 yrs. Both these tunes are on Spotify, though - plz add them to the mix.

Weird of Hermiston

Wade in the Water

You think it is better than Automatic For the People from that came out a year later?
I said may be.  This, Green, and Automatic are all so great that it's tough to say.  My opinion changes often in this subject. It's like Kid A and Amnesiac from Radiohead.  I go back and forth often on my favorites.  Zep is like that too.  There are three other REM records that are great and just off this tier imo.  One is still out there actually.

• 37.1Karma Police-GIRL TALK-FEED THE ANIMALS
  • 37.2Nigel Tufnel-White Reaper-The World’s Best American Rock Band
  • 37.3zamboni-You can skip my next two-
  • 37.4Wazoo11-ITC-
  • 37.5timschochet-permaskip-
  • 37.6wikkidpissah-ITC-
  • 37.7PIK95-the Beach Boys-All Summer Long
  • 37.8Uruk-Hai-skip me. I'll pick this afternoon-
  • 37.9Northern Voice-ITC-
  • 37.10Steve Tasker-ITC-
  • 37.11El Floppo-10 minute clock-
  • 37.12Abrantes-- SOOOON
  • 37.13Long Ball Larry-skip until further notice-
  • 37.14Charlie Steiner--SOOOOOONish
  • 37.15Chaos Commish-permaskip-
  • 37.16The Dreaded Marco--SOOOOOOOOOnisher

I love you all, but think I am going to tap out at an even 40 rounds. I will probably still hang around a bit and continue to depress the signal to noise ratio (it is what I do best), but I don't need to keep picking albums.

There are two still out there that I like a lot.
@simey

You are correct in a closer look.  Three actually for me.

Today, my R.E.M. rankings are

Green, Out of Time, Automatic are tier one.

***, ****, *** are tier two.

Murmur, and Document are probably tier two and a half.

Hi Fi and ***** are tier three

**** is tier four

Other ones are tier five

I love New Adventures in Hi Fi more than most on a personal note.  I did not reflect that bias in these rankings.

Yeah, that is a good call. I honestly haven't heard her full albums- I just know some of the singles and they are very good. Funny story, one of my students 2 years ago had a Janelle Monae concert shirt on and so I engaged her a conversation about it. She got invited by a friend to the show. She said she was really surprised to find out Monae was a singer, she just knew her for her social advocacy. Though that probably isn't typical for teens, this kid was really aware and got a summer internship after sophomore year to work at the New York Times and she was the projectionist for a local old movie house. 
Ah, that makes sense.  I just thought I had recollection of you taking some Janelle in past drafts.  

I will decided on songs later, but if we are going 50 albums my collection will for sure need some more dance/pop/gin music, so I need to start in on that for the next few rounds since a lot has been taken already.  

36.40:  JANELLE MONAE - THE ARCHANDROID (2010)
I saw her touring this album in 2010 opening for Arcade Fire (The Suburbs tour) :wub:

@Binky The Doormat  part of the reason I showed that video last night was to pick on you, and partly to show some of the fur warriors. When you mentioned the Bee Gees on my first video, I decided to have Rundgren playing in the background and call it garbage, and change it, etc. I don't know if anyone caught on to that, cause the volume might not have been turned up high enough, or cause it just wasn't watched, or whatever  :lol:   By the way, I use commas whenever I f'ing feel like it.  I should have turned up the volume more, but I was already driving (and making U-turns) and shooting a video, and turning the song selection, so at one point I had no hands on the steering wheel. weeeeee  That was only for a brief moment. Anyway, I didn't know if you caught my Todd dig, which I do like him, and love the song that I called garbage.

On a side note, someone once again took my buggy at the grocery store this morning. This happens often. I have some items in my buggy, and walk away from it for a few minutes so I don't have to push it all across the store, and I come back and my buggy is gone. Sometimes I find a couple of the items that were originally in my buggy abandoned nearby on a random shelf, where the perpetrator ditched them. Why don't they go to the front of the store, and get their own buggy? Even with the C19 still out there and germing up things, there are still buggy stealers out there. I guess should just keep mine with me at all times. 

I've been mulling some Girl Talk albums, nice to see him get picked.
Not something I listen to a ton, but when I do I always have a big smile on my face.  Also good background albums for get together, especially for people who haven't heard it as they start trying to keep up with figuring out all the samples.   Hard to pick songs since it's more of push play and go type of experience, I just remember some of the metal samples on this one and it stood out more for that reason.  

Listening to playlist mix as I do some yard work. Never really listened to Al Green on purpose before but going to change that.(Belle) Have the disc but haven't listened to Petty's The Wild One in years(great pick)

PJ-Animal - fav PJ album and great song

B Howard- the Fear- new to me but was a nice listen as I took a "smoke" break. As a bonus has a 4:20 run time

Back to work, will check in periodically.

Listening to playlist mix as I do some yard work. Never really listened to Al Green on purpose before but going to change that.(Belle) Have the disc but haven't listened to Petty's The Wild One in years(great pick)

PJ-Animal - fav PJ album and great song

B Howard- the Fear- new to me but was a nice listen as I took a "smoke" break. As a bonus has a 4:20 run time

Back to work, will check in periodically.
that's one of mine, love that record!

Abrantes is also on "skip until further notice." 

Sorry, I'm looking at the sheet now and trying to help you catch up.  Thanks for keeping this going all morning. I'll put Uruk's and wikkid's songs on the playlist, too.

ETA:  wikkid's songs are added.  Didn't realize Uruk hadn't made any picks.

Stepping out for lunch

but here is my pick, I've only stumbled across Rory the past few years and am now slightly obsessed, just a fantastic talent and gone too soon, I have discovered that there is no such thing as a bad Rory record and I am still digesting all of his material, but I need the record that I first stumbled into him, after this the hunt has been on to acquire more and more Rory into my lp collection.

37:18 pick - Rory Gallagher ‎– Irish Tour '74 - 1974

• walk on hot coals
  • just a little bit

Profile:

Irish guitarist and songwriter (born 2nd March, 1948, Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal - died 14th June, 1995, London). One of the most influential guitarists of all times. Gallagher was a master on his Fender Stratocaster in playing the blues (as a born Irishman). He was also a stage "beast" (proof of which the various great live albums). A musical purist who refused to release singles or music videos and turned down the opportunity to join The Rolling Stones in the 1970's. A rumoured chronic alcoholic, Rory became ill on tour in the Netherlands and later died in London due to complications arising from a liver transplant.

AllMusic Review by Dave Thompson  [-]

The companion piece to director Tony Palmer's documentary of the same name, Irish Tour was recorded in January 1974 in Belfast, Dublin, and Cork at a time when precious few performers -- Irish or otherwise -- were even dreaming of touring the trouble-torn island. Northern Ireland, in particular, was a rock & roll no-go area, but Gallagher never turned his back on the province and was rewarded with what history recalls as some of his best-ever gigs. Irish Tour, in turn, captures some of his finest known live recordings and, while it's impossible to tell which songs were recorded where, across nine in-concert recordings (plus one after-hours jam session, "Back on My Stompin' Ground"), the energy crackling from stage to stalls and back again packs an intensity that few live albums -- Gallagher's others among them -- can match. Highlights of a stunning set include dramatic takes on Muddy Waters' "I Wonder Who" and Tony Joe White's "As the Crow Flies," a raw acoustic rendering that is nevertheless totally electrifying. A frustratingly brief snip of the classic Shadows-style "Maritime" (aka "Just a Little Bit") plays the album out in anthemic style and then, of course, there's "Walk on Hot Coals," a marathon excursion that posterity has decreed Gallagher's most popular and accomplished statement -- a status that Irish Tour does nothing to contradict. It's foolish playing favorites, however. Even more than Gallagher's earlier Live in Europe album from 1972, Irish Tour confirms Gallagher not simply as the greatest bluesman Ireland ever knew, but as one of the island's greatest-ever performers.

Is anyone regularly adding @Mrs. Rannous's picks to the playlist?  If not, I'll add her to my list, too.

ETA:  Doesn't look like anyone is.

Just listened to Wish You Would(Dumpstaphunk). Now this I like alot!! Definitely going to check out this album- love me some groovy funk. Reminded me of taking a ride on the Mothership with the Electricfying Mojo.

Round 34  An Evening With John Denver  (1974)

I don't really like live albums that much, but I love this one.  John Denver never hit a bad note in his life as far as I can tell.  His personality and rapport with the audience really comes through here.  And it's a double album.  More lyrical goodness!  I have no idea what to pick, so whoever helps me with Spotify can pick, I guess.

Farewell Andromeda (Welcome To My Morning)

Matthew

Rocky Mountain Suite (Cold Nights In Canada)

Sweet Surrender

I wish I could have been at this concert.  At least with this album, I can be just a bit.
I added the first two, because...well, they were the first two.

Users who are viewing this thread