What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (5 Viewers)

@Binky The Doormat I rolled a 31 which gets me Grand Funk Railroad - Caught in the Act.  I believe that's a live album.

I have no idea what the exact rules are but I'll start with this album.  I probably won't get to listen until tomorrow AM.  I'm watching Watchmen and Top Chef with my daughter starting in 15 minutes.

Also need to write up Pik's Tesla album which I made it through most of it.  I also need to post a round 47 pick because I'm an idiot.

Speaking of toes, I think I broke the pinky toe on my left foot today.  It's all black and blue and doesn't bend very well.  I've splinted it to the adjacent toe and we'll see what it looks like in the morning.

Weird that I have no idea when it happened.
No #### ... the exact same thing happened to me one month ago.

Eh, it was my right pinkie toe, but - I sure as #### have no clue how; when; or where it happened.

I was prolly stoned tho.

It took about 3 weeks to feel "ok".

GL, Ee 👍

@Abrantes please give me some recs, but Siri randomized me to Tom Waits, Rain Dogs.  I am taking this because I have generally liked the little Tom Waits I have heard and my dad became a fan very late in life. So this will be mostly new to me. 
Rain Dogs is a good one.  Probably the most accessible of his Island records.

My leftovers were a lot of metal:

Megadeth, a few Maiden albums (surprised Piece of Mind didn't go), more Opeth, Messhugah, Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss, Deftones - Around the Fur, Slipknot - Iowa.  

But also:

Chvrches - new one

10,000 Maniacs - MTV Unplugged

Phantogram - any of them

Helmet - Meantime

Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

Quicksand - either

Faith No More - Epic 

a bunch of pop like Lady Gaga, Kesha, etc.. 

Captain Beyond

Deep Purple - in Rock

Ex Hex

Tegan and Sara
I considered double dipping on Pearl Jam round 50, but couldn't convince myself Vitalogy was better than Core. Its high points (Spin, Not For You, and Courdoroy) are but the rest is...just good.

I realized listening to Deftones that they had a phenomenal album if they just combined the best of their first two. Too many skips or indistinguishable from another on each. 

No #### ... the exact same thing happened to me one month ago.

Eh, it was my right pinkie toe, but - I sure as #### have no clue how; when; or where it happened.

I was prolly stoned tho.

It took about 3 weeks to feel "ok".

GL, Ee 👍
Yeah, I've broken toes multiple times when I was a runner. 

I was changing a toilet set this afternoon; the old bolt was rusted and frozen so I ended up using about 20 different tools to eventually get it free.  I don't recall using my feet for anything.

Speaking of toes, I think I broke the pinky toe on my left foot today.  It's all black and blue and doesn't bend very well.  I've splinted it to the adjacent toe and we'll see what it looks like in the morning.

Weird that I have no idea when it happened.
If it's really "just" broken, there's not a whole lot more you can do

Don't forget you still owe me one!
RNG has granted you the 1-in-50 shot of hitting the only album from Spain on my list, and probably one of the few ones in this entire draft, Hinds' I Don't Run.  Hope you enjoy jangly garage rock featuring multiple female vocalists singing over one another for an entire 40 minute album.  It was my favorite album of 2018, and they're probably my single favorite "new" band of the last 5 years.

And I'm done.  My assignment was  Marcy Playground - Shapeshifter.  The full album on YouTube even had the hidden track at the end.  I read the lyrics while I listened to get the whole effect of liner notes.  This is nice stuff.  Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure, but what is?  I especially liked "America", "Secret Squirrel", and "Wave Motion Gun".  Mr R is a fan of Star Blazers, so I knew what they were on about.  I want to listen again, and I'm considering buying it.

The yodeling is still odd.

I reckon I'll try the next one tomorrow.

RNG has granted you the 1-in-50 shot of hitting the only album from Spain on my list, and probably one of the few ones in this entire draft, Hinds' I Don't Run.  Hope you enjoy jangly garage rock featuring multiple female vocalists singing over one another for an entire 40 minute album.  It was my favorite album of 2018, and they're probably my single favorite "new" band of the last 5 years.
Oh boy, this one might be a tougher sell.  It's good; I like a challenge.

Yeah, I've broken toes multiple times when I was a runner. 

I was changing a toilet set this afternoon; the old bolt was rusted and frozen so I ended up using about 20 different tools to eventually get it free.  I don't recall using my feet for anything.
😄

I broke me toes multitudually , too.

Broke'm twice break dancing the alligator/worm - in my mid 20's - at friend's weddings. Embarrassingly, the 2nd time I was trying to "show how" I broke'm last time - the previous wedding. Oof.

Then, I broke'm a little more coolerly - motocycle wrecks - bout 4 times - not sure.

So, we the Broke Toes Guys, here!  :hifive:

@Abrantes please give me some recs, but Siri randomized me to Tom Waits, Rain Dogs.  I am taking this because I have generally liked the little Tom Waits I have heard and my dad became a fan very late in life. So this will be mostly new to me. 
A couple.

-Novos Baianos: I'd say it transcends language barriers and is a great listening experience as a full album. I love all the Brazilian albums I took, though.

-The Wrens: Personal favorite, worth digging into with the lyrics at hand.

-The Avalanches: You took ...Endtroducing ( :thumbup: ), and this is a similarly sample-based labor of love - though more dance-oriented than the DJ Shadow.

-Gang of Four: On the post-punk side, if you'd like another rec. Their sound is so tight.

Hey @krista4,

The 2 I’m going to pick from your island are:

Big Star - #1 Record

The Flaming Lips - Pink Robots

Im honestly not familiar with a lot of your choices aside from the bigger names. Other ones that look interesting to me are Elliott Smith, The Shins, Belle & Sebastian, The Both, The Frames, and Anthony and the Johnsons, but I’ll take any recommendations you have from that short list or any others of your preference. 

Thanks!

Hey @krista4,

Big Star - #1 Record

Im honestly not familiar with a lot of your choices aside from the bigger names. Other ones that look interesting to me are Elliott Smith, The Shins, Belle & Sebastian, The Both, The Frames, and Anthony and the Johnsons, but I’ll take any recommendations you have from that short list or any others of your preference. 

Thanks!
And if it helps you choose, I may be inebriated in one form or another while listening to one or more of these albums. 

Hey @krista4,

Big Star - #1 Record

Thanks!
The Frames, definitely!  I'd love to push them anywhere I can.  It is a live album, though, so hope you would be ok with that.

I might go with Elliott Smith second, but I just looked through your picks and don't see a lot of love for acoustic/lo-fi, so that one might not be best, nor would Belle or Anthony...  I think the Shins might fit you more than the others.  Check it out?

ETA:  Depending upon type of inebriation, Elliott Smith might work after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Desert Island Take XI

Pick 31:  Various Artists, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me Soundtrack (1999).  Just limbo's under the requirement bar I set for soundtracks, but Lenny Kravitz did his cover of American Woman specifically for this, it wasn't supposed to be on his own album until it turned out to be a big hit, so he re-released his previous album and added it.  Either way, it was written for this, so I'm callin' it cool (and a great song!!).  Just be warned if you listen to the album there's a track of Dr. Evil singing to Mini-Me (and a Burt Bacharach track, too  :X )

Pick 32:  Evanescence, Fallen (2003).  The idea of lyrical female singing over acid rock tracks made this group really stand out, unique sound.  One of those acts that disappeared too soon.

Pick 33:  The Darkness, Permission to Land (2003).  THIS is what happens when you take the humor of Spinal Tap and go out and do it for real.  Waaaaaaay over the top metal with super funny lyrics.  On the second spotlighted song listed here, he's singing about (and I'm not making this up) genital warts.  :lmao:

PS. Here's a video juxtaposing some of the samples in the Avalanches album with how they're used. I was just watching it earlier today. Probably best to listen to the album first, though.

The old Motown albums were short and sweet which is probably a big plus for people reviewing and not so great if you were really stuck on a desert island. The Smokey album might have the best 3 songs to start an album ever. Tracks of My Tears, Going to a Go Go and Ooo Baby Baby are timeless. 

Pick 33:  The Darkness, Permission to Land (2003).  THIS is what happens when you take the humor of Spinal Tap and go out and do it for real.  Waaaaaaay over the top metal with super funny lyrics.  On the second spotlighted song listed here, he's singing about (and I'm not making this up) genital warts.  :lmao:

I nearly spotlighted this the other day. Tell me this Sum 41 video isn't Darkness inspiration (its from 2 years before Permission to Land). They do a Beastie Boys-pastiche, some very solid pop-punk, then a cheesy as hell Darkness-eque metal take all in 5 minutes.

The Frames, definitely!  I'd love to push them anywhere I can.  It is a live album, though, so hope you would be ok with that.

I might go with Elliott Smith second, but I just looked through your picks and don't see a lot of love for acoustic/lo-fi, so that one might not be best, nor would Belle or Anthony...  I think the Shins might fit you more than the others.  Check it out?

I forgot you mentioned The Both.  I'd put that up with The Shins as a possibility.

Also forgot to say I think your initial two choices will be great for you.  I hope...

Thanks!  I tend to stick to my comfort zone most of the time, so I’m willing to try some new stuff here. I’ll go with the Frames and Elliott Smith and let you know what I think. Thanks for the recs  :thumbup:

I nearly spotlighted this the other day. Tell me this Sum 41 video isn't Darkness inspiration (its from 2 years before Permission to Land). They do a Beastie Boys-pastiche, some very solid pop-punk, then a cheesy as hell Darkness-eque metal take all in 5 minutes.
Snicker - good stuff.  I'd say the metal section is more Weird Al joins Korn than The Darkness, but it's definitely related.

Rain Dogs by Tom Waits: LIVE BLOG

- It’s the evil version of the Decemberists. Crazy pirate stories, lots of theatrics. I don’t hate it but also it’s not grabbing me right away. 

- The second song, Clap Hands, is better. MUCH BETTER. CLAP HANDS. 

- Cemetery Polka is one of the few Waits songs I know. I drafted the Cabaret soundtrack so you know I dig this. 

- Jockey Full of Bourbon….best song title I’ve seen in awhile 

- This has so much old school vaudeville, blues, jazz, showtunes, weirdo in it. I love it. 

- It’s just one weird story after another. Each makes me think of a little short film- usually a silent one. Lon Cheney, humiliated circus clowns, desperate widows, sepia faced sadists. Diamonds and Gold. 

-I love how Hang Down Your Head plays like the upbeat pop song of the album. On any other album, it would be the gutter tune.

- Rain Dogs is a better album name than song. Disappointed here. Midtown was exciting  jazz but didn’t really go anywhere. 

All the donuts have names that sound like prostitutes 

- Union Square is a fun blues tune but I do think his style and voice wears me down over time. It’s a lot to listen to as a full album. 

- Downtown Train is good stuff. My mom loved the Rod Stewart cover. So cool. 

- Ok, I now realize my Spotify somehow got set to shuffle midway here. I stopped in the middle and was talking to my wife, I must have hit shuffle when I went back to it. 

- Anywhere I Lay My Head: #### this is a crazy album. Love it a lot but it is overwhelming in one shot. 

Ok, I have not been able to keep up with the thread, so I'm sure my question has an answer here - but I dunno where.

Q: Is the draft "complete"? Is "spotlighting" ok yet (i.e. listing undrafted albums)?

I scanned the spreadsheet, and noticed lotsa empties. So, I figured official drafters may still be pickin.

Ok, I have not been able to keep up with the thread, so I'm sure my question has an answer here - but I dunno where.

Q: Is the draft "complete"? Is "spotlighting" ok yet (i.e. listing undrafted albums)?

I scanned the spreadsheet, and noticed lotsa empties. So, I figured official drafters may still be pickin.
You're good. Some stragglers picking but Val is posting a missed the cut 50 a few at a time, some of us have posted some near misses either as one offs or as a list. It's kind of an open album discussion thread now to save all from the PSF

Thanks!  I tend to stick to my comfort zone most of the time, so I’m willing to try some new stuff here. I’ll go with the Frames and Elliott Smith and let you know what I think. Thanks for the recs  :thumbup:
It's a minor point, but be sure to listen to the expanded anniversary edition of the Elliott Smith album in order to get one of my two song picks for the draft, "I Figured You Out."  You could skip all the extra live versions, but that one is important to the album I chose and is my second-favorite Elliott Smith song.  :)   I think that record is the riskiest pick for you anyway.  Not sure you'll like it.  :scared:  

In Case You Need Love is an AA+++++ song
Right, Motown doesn't get enough credit for how deep some of these albums are. The lyrics on this, hot hot hot

In the case of a fire, call the man with the hose

If your desire is to put out a fire, he's the guy who knows

and you can call on a lumber man if you want to chop down a tree

but in case you need love, baby, call on me 

Rain Dogs by Tom Waits: LIVE BLOG

- It’s the evil version of the Decemberists. Crazy pirate stories, lots of theatrics. I don’t hate it but also it’s not grabbing me right away. 
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  Perfect.

Apropos of nothing, I like the "making feet for children's shoes" (AKA doin' it) turn of phrase in "Singapore".

Users who are viewing this thread