Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Northern Voice

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

LOL.  I thought I was getting too tipsy to start some Bonzai reviews, but I guess this is what we are doing tonight?

I am super happy I got to hear that Waits album. It's something I really always wanted to check out. It is easy to see why it's considered a classic by so many and it is something I will for sure listen to again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:
10 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

In Case You Need Love is an AA+++++ song

Right, Motown doesn't get enough credit for how deep some of these albums are. The lyrics on this, hot hot hot

In the case of a fire, call the man with the hose

If your desire is to put out a fire, he's the guy who knows

and you can call on a lumber man if you want to chop down a tree

but in case you need love, baby, call on me 

Yeah, I liked every song on this, if I were going to nitpick, sure some of the songs say 6-11 are pretty very similar but who cares. And like you said, the first 3 are great. In Case You Need Love is great, From Head to Toe is great and Fork in the Road is great and a really good album closer. And even the sameyness of those few songs works in keeping it as a cohesive album. And it's not overly long, but like I tell Mrs. NV, short and thick'll do the trick. I'll likely add Going to a Go-Go to my favorutes playlist.

Also, Spotify played Tears of a Clown after the album ended, what a ####### song.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

You're good. Some stragglers picking but Val is posting a missed the cut 50 a few at a time, some of us have posted some near misses either as one offs or as a list. It's kind of an open album discussion thread now to save all from the PSF

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

We are basically done. Spotlight away. 

Thnx gents.

I'll be going off the spreadsheet - so I may list sompin already listed in the thread.

Off the top-o-my-head:

Tigerlily - Natalie Merchant (1995)

"San Andreas Fault" – 3:57   This song ... 😥

"Wonder" – 4:26

"Beloved Wife" – 5:03

"River" – 5:32

"Carnival" – 5:59  This song ... 🐿️

"I May Know the Word" – 8:07

"The Letter" – 2:12

"Cowboy Romance" – 4:39

"Jealousy" – 2:41

"Where I Go" – 3:59

"Seven Years" – 5:31

Not saying this is my #1 undrafted, but it is on me mind. Great album.✌️

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

LOL.  I thought I was getting too tipsy to start some Bonzai reviews, but I guess this is what we are doing tonight?

:oldunsure:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Abrantes said:

Are we free to post some leftovers that couldn't make it to the islands?

I have 4 picks left, give me some ideas.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

@Buffaloes you drew the golden ticket to the weirdest thing I drafted.  It's 148 minutes long (2 CDs) which is a definite slog.  The second disc is probably a better listen because you avoid nine minutes of Debussy and the Peter Brotzmann track which is hard to listen to  CD2 starts with track 16 (Black Satin)

I'm going to go with both discs. Honestly, when I read your write up, it seemed like something I would be into either way. Four songs in and it's eclectic as heck. Song 1 is a dub reggae mix (I brought an entire album of dub reggae to my isle), song 2 some cool jazz fusion and song 3 has that 90s dance synth that is like aural crack to my ears. Digging it so far. Full write up later.

Also, I hope your toe is ok. 

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 1

Just now, Northern Voice said:

I rolled a 48. What is a Galaxie 500?

Wikipedia says alternative/indie rock!! Let's ####### go

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Northern Voice said:

Yeah, I liked every song on this, if I were going to nitpick, sure some of the songs say 6-11 are pretty very similar but who cares. And like you said, the first 3 are great. In Case You Need Love is great, From Head to Toe is great and Fork in the Road is great and a really good album closer. And even the sameyness of those few songs works in keeping it as a cohesive album. And it's not overly long, but like I tell Mrs. NV, short and thick'll do the trick. I'll likely add Going to a Go-Go to my favorutes playlist.

Also, Spotify played Tears of a Clown after the album ended, what a ####### song.

Glad you appreciated it and I don't think I could review it better. I drafted a  Supremes album that is a similarly short but sweet album if you wanted to do something similar next time. 

:shrug:

I am getting a stoner-rock signal on the Spidey sense though.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Thnx gents.

I'll be going off the spreadsheet - so I may list sompin already listed in the thread.

Off the top-o-my-head:

Tigerlily - Natalie Merchant (1995)

"San Andreas Fault" – 3:57   This song ... 😥

"Wonder" – 4:26

"Beloved Wife" – 5:03

"River" – 5:32

"Carnival" – 5:59  This song ... 🐿️

"I May Know the Word" – 8:07

"The Letter" – 2:12

"Cowboy Romance" – 4:39

"Jealousy" – 2:41

"Where I Go" – 3:59

"Seven Years" – 5:31

Not saying this is my #1 undrafted, but it is on me mind. Great album.✌️

I thought about this one as well as 10,000 maniacs unplugged.  Really liked this album though.

• Like 1

It's like dream pop 

2 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Wikipedia says alternative/indie rock!! Let's ####### go

Yeah, I do think it's your style. 👍

2 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I got @shuke, which should be fun. I probably won't get to listen until tomorrow.

I'm gonna start with the Jayhawks' Mockingbird Time. I've heard maybe a dozen songs by these guys over the years and liked every one of them - don't know why I haven't gone deeper into their catalog. 

Shuke, if you have any recommendations, throw 'em out there. I know most of the classic rockers you chose pretty well, so maybe one of the others?

Hey buddy.  Give Heartless Bastards a try.  If you like the Jayhawks, then try Sun Volt or Uncle Tupelo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

:shrug:

I am getting a stoner-rock signal on the Spidey sense though.  

Yeah that is dead accurate 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

What is a Galaxie 500?

I thought it was a Ford.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, shuke said:

Hey buddy.  Give Heartless Bastards a try.  If you like the Jayhawks, then try Sun Volt or Uncle Tupelo.

I'll try Heartless Bastards next - thanks. I know the other two fairly well.

I did play the Jayhawks LP a little while ago, but just as background. I'll listen again tomorrow and post some thoughts. I was about what I expected, in a good way.

• Like 1

I guess doing recommendations for me is interesting. Looking at MAC's album list, I can immediately pick one album I drafted that I think would be right in the wheelhouse of the albums he picked. But maybe that's not what we want to do. Maybe we want the outside the wheelhouse. Or maybe some of each. That's why I'm going random at first for what I listen to. I haven't even looked at the full Ilov80s list yet. Though confession, I did roll a 43, saw "Jazz Classics" and took a pass.

• Like 1

Galaxie 500 is a  little on the weirder side and more dream pop than indie alt rock...an album that took me a few listens to fully like though

2 minutes ago, Val Rannous said:
9 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

What is a Galaxie 500?

I thought it was a Ford.

"Galaxie" by Blind Melon is a fantastic song, best they ever did IMO, including No Rain. And it's about the car.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Galaxie 500 is a  little on the weirder side and more dream pop than indie alt rock...an album that took me a few listens to fully like though

Yeah it's slow and headphones-y but I am enjoying it so far. The songs kind of run into each other a bit but I think that is the idea, though not great for commenting and reviewing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I guess doing recommendations for me is interesting. Looking at MAC's album list, I can immediately pick one album I drafted that I think would be right in the wheelhouse of the albums he picked. But maybe that's not what we want to do. Maybe we want the outside the wheelhouse. Or maybe some of each. That's why I'm going random at first for what I listen to. I haven't even looked at the full Ilov80s list yet. Though confession, I did roll a 43, saw "Jazz Classics" and took a pass.

If you aren't a jazz fan, that album won't make you one.

I am hoping to find albums that I am unfamiliar with but that are something I would like. 

Edited by Ilov80s

Yeah it's slow and headphones-y but I am enjoying it so far. The songs kind of run into each other a bit but I think that is the idea, though not great for commenting and reviewing.

Yeah, it is the idea but you are right it's not an easy review. There is a reason I took it so late too. The vibe on this album is s good. I just love the vibe. 

3 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

"Galaxie" by Blind Melon is a fantastic song, best they ever did IMO, including No Rain. And it's about the car.

Blind melon was also on my short list of albums that missed the cut. Change is easily my favorite song of theirs

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Since we're in the "Gala-" section of the encyclopedia, I was going to take a Galactic album. But my 42 open youtube windows must have locked my computer up, so I had to restart it and forgot most of what I had queued up.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Alright, I got one more for the night:

Bubblegum - Mark Lanegan (2004)

"When Your Number Isn't Up" - 3:01

"Hit the City" - 2:48 (featuring PJ Harvey) - Love the bass line ... and anguish.

"Wedding Dress" - 3:07

"Methamphetamine Blues" - 3:16

"One Hundred Days" - 4:36 - One of my very fav songs ... all time.

"Bombed" - 1:08

"Strange Religion" - 4:07

"Sideways in Reverse" - 2:46

"Come to Me" - 3:45

"Like Little Willie John" - 3:53

"Can't Come Down" - 3:37

"Morning Glory Wine" - 4:27

"Head" - 3:04

"Driving Death Valley Blues" - 2:48

"Out of Nowhere" - 2:43

This could possibly be my favorite undrafted album. At the moment, it could be very possible.

Perhaps.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Since we're in the "Gala-" section of the encyclopedia, I was going to take a Galactic album. But my 42 open youtube windows must have locked my computer up, so I had to restart it and forgot most of what I had queued up.

The '59 Sound by The Gaslight Anthem was a near miss for me (I don't think anyone drafted it).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Strange by Galaxie 500 - I see this is their most played on Spotify. It would be the "single" based on what I've seen so far. It's really jumping out at me. I also switched to headphones. And I'm going back to listen to this song about him eating Twinkies another time before going forward. 

Edited by Northern Voice
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Couple songs later....chanting. And banging on stuff like 2020 Fiona apple

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Binky The Doormat said:

outside of not managing this ...wtf are doing?

@Northern Voice

Pick an album from the island you've been assigned. Drink. Listen to album and drink some more. Post stuff about the album. Or not. That's just what I'm doing.

• Like 1

Desert Island Take XII

Pick 34:  Aerosmith, Honkin' on Bobo (2004).  Aerosmith used to have a habit of dropping a full bore blues song into every other album or so.  This album is the answer to the question "What if we did a whole show of that?"  Makes me wish they had done more blues over the years.

Pick 35:  Nox Arcana, Transylvania (2005).  OK, now for something completely different.  Nox Arcana's Wikipedia genre listing includes "atmospheric gothic", "dark ambient", and "dungeon synth", whatever the hell that is.  They specialize in concept albums based on gothic or classic horror fiction, and are wildly moody.  The album on offer here is based on Dracula, complete with fluttering bats, howling wolves, and scraping stone coffin lids.  Love it.  Note that if you listen to the second spotlighted track, make sure to wait through the silent patches, as stuff... happens...

Pick 36:  Jack White, Blunderbuss (2012).  Jack White is one of those guys that I just can't stop listening to, no matter what group or project he's in this week.  Here he's got an eclectic mixture of grungy rock, punk, and hardcore blues - so normal Jack White.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Val Rannous said:

Desert Island Take XII

Pick 36:  Jack White, Blunderbuss (2012).  Jack White is one of those guys that I just can't stop listening to, no matter what group or project he's in this week.  Here he's got an eclectic mixture of grungy rock, punk, and hardcore blues - so normal Jack White.

:goodposting:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When Will You Come Home and Decomposing Trees are both a bit more traditional rock songs too. Really growing on me. 

• Like 1

Are the upcoming Isn't it a Pity and Ceremony songs I see covers? Cause get could be a fun way to end this night. 

It's KPs baby now. 

What, 340 pages of schtick, and NOW you bail?

I’m sure many of you know, but I’ve also wondered what Eephus does for a living.

5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I’m sure many of you know, but I’ve also wondered what Eephus does for a living.

my guess is he gives flowers to the soldiers that hold him back from being successful

• Laughing 1

19 minutes ago, Val Rannous said:

What, 340 pages of schtick, and NOW you bail?

Well I also have no idea what Binky was asking there...

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Well I also have no idea what Binky was asking there...

I asked Eephus what he did for a living

Edited by Binky The Doormat

1 hour ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Alright, I got one more for the night:

Bubblegum - Mark Lanegan (2004)

I drafted Screaming Tree's Dust

1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

@Eephus what do you do for a living besides watch flea play drums?

Retired

• Like 1