Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Northern Voice

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

Buffaloes would have made it to that Peter Brotzmann track by now.

I listened to Tesla's The Great Radio Controversy (1989) from @PIK95's island before KP's pairings were announced so I might as well get partial credit for it.

It's late 80s commercial metal with big choruses and guitar solos.  The singer has a raspy tenor that's kind of reminiscent of John Waite from the Babies which I mean in the most complimentary way.  The record has a nice bright sound which has aged well.  Heaven's Trail is a good Rock 'n Roll song and the one that came a song or two after with the slide guitar was a jam as well.  There's a power ballad on side 2 that touches all the power ballad bases.  Tesla's never going to be on my radar but this is a pretty solid record.

• Thanks 1

47.23 - It's Too Late to Stop Now - Van Morrison (1974)

This one is In the Pantheon of great live albums.  Morrison is in peak form and his band, horns and strings are all perfect.  Better late than never but this is one of the #50 contenders that was causing me the most immediate regret.

St. Dominic's Preview

Domino

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Desert Island Take XIII

Pick 37:  Lindsey Stirling, Lindsey Stirling (2012).  OK, show of hands of anyone who though electronic dub-step music played on a violin would be interesting?  Lindsey apparently thought it would, and damned if it's not.  One of my weirder YouTube finds.

Pick 38:  The Pretty Reckless, Going to Hell (2014).  I apparently have a thing for female fronted rock bands.  Taylor Momsen, our lead singer here, focuses on themes of innocence and blasphemy, while the band lays down a seriously hard groove.  

Pick 39:  Dorothy, RockIsDead (2016).  Look, another girl leading a hard rock band, it's definitely a theme for me during the 2000's.  Unlike most of my later finds, this one wasn't a YouTube winner - I heard this absolutely slammin' song backing a Skullcandy headphone commercial, and just had to find out more.

Pick 40:  Ningen Isu, Shin Seinen *New Youth* (2019).  I was reading on another discussion board, and somebody said he was spending his time listening to, and I quote "Old Japanese Dude Cthulhu Space Death Metal".  OK, what the hell does that mean?  It means I just got hooked on something strange but awesome.  I have to give my highest recommendation to the first track spotlighted here - if you like hard rock at all, it's amazingly good.  And these guys have been doing this sorta thing for 30 years, just nobody outside of Japan knew about them until recently.  Now there's stacks of reaction videos for this them, and most people are having the same reaction I am - "What the hell is that?", followed by "Wow, they rock!"  I've included Spotify links, as while they're on there, you have to read Japanese or already know the track order to know which track is which.

Note:  When I started this list, you guys were doing 40 rounds, so I prepped for 40 picks.  I never had a chance to up the list to 50, so I think that's all from me for now, unless I get REALLY busy tomorrow.  No promises.

Edited by Val Rannous
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Alright, I got one more for the night:

Bubblegum - Mark Lanegan (2004)

"When Your Number Isn't Up" - 3:01

"Hit the City" - 2:48 (featuring PJ Harvey) - Love the bass line ... and anguish.

"Wedding Dress" - 3:07

"Methamphetamine Blues" - 3:16

"One Hundred Days" - 4:36 - One of my very fav songs ... all time.

"Bombed" - 1:08

"Strange Religion" - 4:07

"Sideways in Reverse" - 2:46

"Come to Me" - 3:45

"Like Little Willie John" - 3:53

"Can't Come Down" - 3:37

"Morning Glory Wine" - 4:27

"Head" - 3:04

"Driving Death Valley Blues" - 2:48

"Out of Nowhere" - 2:43

This could possibly be my favorite undrafted album. At the moment, it could be very possible.

Perhaps.

Thought about this for my last pick. Hit the City and Strange Religion are my favs.

4 hours ago, Eephus said:

47.23 - It's Too Late to Stop Now - Van Morrison (1974)

This one is In the Pantheon of great live albums.  Morrison is in peak form and his band, horns and strings are all perfect.  Better late than never but this is one of the #50 contenders that was causing me the most immediate regret.

St. Dominic's Preview

Domino

Was going to be one of my first few picks if I missed out on Astral Weeks. 

• Like 1

Blew off work yesterday to play golf and then hit the bar for 3 hours. Had a great day but paying for it today.

Hopefully this Muse I'm about to listen to(Absolution) is good hangover music.

13 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

Blew off work yesterday to play golf and then hit the bar for 3 hours. Had a great day but paying for it today.

Hopefully this Muse I'm about to listen to(Absolution) is good hangover music.

If huge guitars soothe your hangovers then, sure. 

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, shuke said:

@Dr. Octopus Give me something.

I'll give you a few records I think you may like based on your apparent tastes. Not sure which ones you are already familiar with but I'll list five and you can choose a few from that list and a few on your own (or randomly):

Sister Sweetly - Big Head Todd and the Monsters

Harlem River Blues - Justin Townes Earle

$1.99 Romances (Live at Tri Studios) - God Street Wine

Between The Buttons - The Rolling Stones

Southern Rock Opera - Drive-By Truckers

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Long Ball Larry it was meant to be I pulled this one off the shelf yesterday 

CSNY 4way street

I haven’t looked at your list yet but I do think you drafted this one, spinning it now.

Give me 4-5 to check out...😎

@otb_lifer let me know if you want me to throw some suggestions your way....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tell 'Em What You Name Is! - Black Joe Lewis & The Honey Bears

Drafted by @Uruk-Hai

If I could only use one word to review this record it would be "Wow". This album cooks and I've already downloaded a few of his other offerings. Gunpowder starts it off with a force that grabs you and doesn't let go. The next two songs, Sugarfoot and I'm Broke, were the two representative samples Uruk chose and they were great choices as the power of Joe's (not sure if that's his real name) voice and the backing musicians including some amazing horns just blows one away. I'm a big fan of Maceo Parker, who was the saxophone player for James Brown, and saw him 4-5 times in NYC and it was always a blast. This record reminds me very much of those experiences and would love to see these guys live.

A few other highlights:

Big Booty Woman - just keeps coming at you, and that's more than ok with me.

Boogie - another sonic tour de force and the horns just blew me away (pun may or may not be intended)

Master Sold My Baby - sort of a Bo Didley beat here with wonderful results

Please Pt. Two - Much different than the rest of the record as it's more of a rock song with the guitars cutting right through you - and some killer vocal effects.

Bottom line is that I'd highly recommend this album.

:banned::banned::banned::banned:and one half chugs (out if 5)

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

14 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

CSNY 4way street

I haven’t looked at your list yet but I do think you drafted this one, spinning it now.

i did draft that one! 

will get it to you this morning.  wanted to look at your list again.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Tell 'Em What You Name Is! - Black Joe Lewis & The Honey Bears

Drafted by @Uruk-Hai

If I could only use one word to review this record it would be "Wow". This album cooks and I've already downloaded a few of his other offerings. Gunpowder starts it off with a force that grabs you and doesn't let go. The next two songs, Sugarfoot and I'm Broke, were the two representative samples Uruk chose and they were great choices as the power of Joe's (not sure if that's his real name) voice and the backing musicians including some amazing horns just blows one away. I'm a big fan of Maceo Parker, who was the saxophone player for James Brown, and saw him 4-5 times in NYC and it was always a blast. This record reminds me very much of those experiences and would love to see these guys live.

A few other highlights:

Big Booty Woman - just keeps coming at you, and that's more than ok with me.

Boogie - another sonic tour de force and the horns just blew me away (pun may or may not be intended)

Master Sold My Baby - sort of a Bo Didley beat here with wonderful results

Please Pt. Two - Much different than the rest of the record as it's more of a rock song with the guitars cutting right through you - and some killer vocal effects.

Bottom line is that I'd highly recommend this album.

:banned::banned::banned::banned:and one half chugs (out if 5)

Glad you enjoyed it. Those I recommended last night are...... different....... than this one. 

6 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Glad you enjoyed it. Those I recommended last night are...... different....... than this one. 

I’ll get started on them at some point. 

@KarmaPolice did I correctly read you wanted to listen to a jazz album for your assignment??

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

@KarmaPolice did I correctly read you wanted to listen to a jazz album for your assignment??

I think he said he wants to hear a Yaz record. 

• Laughing 3

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yep.  Mr. Bonzai gave me some Mingus for my ear holes.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

CSNY 4way street

ok, how does this work?

i ask for suggestions from you, and you from me?

@Bonzai - same ... where we at?

how many albums are we talkin'?

i thought the platters were gonna be assigned randomly?

not for nuttin', but i think you two fellas were probably the closest to my tastes ... 

here's my rooster  - plz suggest works from your selections that deviate a bit from my milieu 

13 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Here we go.   Person on the right is who's island you are mining albums from (so shuke gets to listen to Doc Oct's albums, etc.. )

Shuke -- Dr. Octopus

Ilov80s -- Abrantes

Dreaded Marco -- Raging Weasel

Buffaloes -- Eephus

Dr. Octopus -- Uruk-hai

Abrantes -- KarmaPolice 

Yo Mamma -- krista4

Mrs. R -- Buffaloes

Steve Tasker -- mac 32

Eephus -- Binky the Doormat

Krista4 - Steve Tasker

Northern Voice -- Ilov80s

mac32 -- Northern Voice

Bonzai -- otb__ lifer

Otb__lifer -- mphtrilogy

LongBallLarry -- Mrs. Rannous

Binky -- wikkidpissah

wikkidpissah -- The Dreaded Marco

Raging Weasel -- Yo Mamma

KarmaPolice -- Bonzai

mphtrilogy -- Long Ball Larry

Uruk-Hai -- Shuke

Have fun, everybody !!! 

Bump for the morning crowed

12 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

Awesome. Here are my recommendations:

#1 - Free - Fire and Water

#2 will be based on your mood and how far out of your comfort zone you want to go (I remember your picks favor metal and hard rock)

Prog - Genesis (Selling ...), or Yes (Close to the Edge)

80s - The Cure (Boys Don’t Cry), or Erasure (Two Ring Circus)

Hip Hop - Tribe (Low End Theory), or OutKast (Aquemini), Run the Jewels 2

Rock/Alternative - Wolfmother, Sublime

Beware any randomizing since a number of my later picks have lots of holes in them. 

Enjoy!

Finished the Muse listen and sorry to say they are not my thing. The music itself is good but they need to rock a little harder for my tastes and really dislike the vocalist.

Wasn't terrible but not an album I'd listen to again other than maybe The Fury. Time is Running Out and Stockholm Syndrome were the only others that stood out. Give it a 6/10

I thought at first that the last song on the album was the best by far but turns out it's from a different album. Was called Knights of Cydonia  so may check out that album at some point.

On to another new to me band that gets alot of love- Spoon

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

Finished the Muse listen and sorry to say they are not my thing. The music itself is good but they need to rock a little harder for my tastes and really dislike the vocalist.

Wasn't terrible but not an album I'd listen to again other than maybe The Fury. Time is Running Out and Stockholm Syndrome were the only others that stood out. Give it a 6/10

I thought at first that the last song on the album was the best by far but turns out it's from a different album. Was called Knights of Cydonia  so may check out that album at some point.

On to another new to me band that gets alot of love- Spoon

Spoon rock much much less hard than Muse... they're also a lot better IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

ok, how does this work?

i ask for suggestions from you, and you from me?

@Bonzai - same ... where we at?

how many albums are we talkin'?

i thought the platters were gonna be assigned randomly?

not for nuttin', but i think you two fellas were probably the closest to my tastes ... 

here's my rooster  - plz suggest works from your selections that deviate a bit from my milieu 

I just bumped the list from @KarmaPolice

looks like you drew me, I drew LBL. and Bonzai drew you.

You can randomly sample a few and I can give you a few selections...

from my list taking a look at yours.. and maybe sample an album or two you might not have heard... grab a few from this short list below if you haven't heard of any....

•  Atlas Genius When it Was Now2013
  •  Ben Howard Every Kingdom2011
  •  Brandi Carlile Brandi Carlile ‎2005
  •  Dawes Stories Don't End2013
  •  Fountains of Wayne Welcome Interstate Managers2003
  •  Julian Cope Saint Julian1987
  •  Keane Hopes and Fears2004
  •  Richard and Linda Thompson I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight1974
  •  Richard Thompson Rumor & Sigh1991
  •  Rockpile Seconds of Pleasure1980
  •  Rory Gallagher Irish Tour 741974
  • Warren Zevon Warren Zevon1976

46 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

i did draft that one! 

will get it to you this morning.  wanted to look at your list again.

btw, Southern Man is an epic 13.45 mins on this CSNY 4Way Street 👍

10 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - THE RIVER (1980)

COVER -  Bruce looking 1/2 pouty, 1/2 badass here.   I still usually question album covers with just a pic on it.  

ALBUM -   This was long, but damn good.   I will be honest - I thought was in a little trouble as I didn't love the opener.  Something about the chorus on The Ties That Bind that grated on me a tad, but after that the trip was great.   Seems like I am drawn a little bit more to the slower/sad side of Bruce so a lot of the stand outs for me are on that spectrum - The River, Point Blank, Drive All Night, Wreck on the Highway, and a couple others I forgot to write down.    Always impresses me with these songs how he is able to transport me and basically paint that story in my head as I listen.  Remember again, I am not one to pay too much to the lyrics right away, but Bruce is able to transport me right away.    Easy 8/10 here.  

Like every other review, I intentionally limited what I said beforehand so it wouldn't influence your experience. And a big grin came across my face when you singled out those 4 songs. 

This album doesn't really hit its stride until track 11. How many albums can you cite in which that's the case? If you told me to name my 8 favorite they would be tracks 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, and 20. The somber notes you cited (and I added 2 of them to the playlist) but I think the 3 best rockers (Cadillac Ranch, The Rocker, and Ramrod) are intertwined among them as well. 

So no matter what you thought of the first 10 my biggest concern was that you may inadvertently check out before getting to the album's best work. Not that the first 10 aren't good; they are. For me, it just represents the slow build - and to get through that whole experience with only one throw away (for you it was the opener, for me it is 'Marry You') made it an easy consolation prize for not getting Born To Run.

• Like 1

@Abrantes I just fired up Gang of Four, I’ve always wanted to really give these guys a closer look. I know I’m going to dig this.

• Like 1

@mphtrilogy

Ok, let's try these 5:

A Tribe Called Quest	Midnight Marauders	1993
Portishead		Dummy			1994
Fleet Foxes		Fleet Foxes		2008
Chris Cornell		Songbook		2011
The Mystery Lights	Too Much Tension	2019

let me know if any issues with these...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

STURGILL SIMPSON - SOUND & FURY (2019)

COVER - Another bad ### cover from Sturgill.  Explosions and cars and #### !! 

ALBUM -  Yeah, this was a surprise.   What an interesting step up (probably not the right phrasing) of music.   I will be honest - I was expecting a little more rockin', but not quite the mix of genres as he threw out there on this album.   I mean #### - that sounds like a Daft Punk song at the start of Make Art Not Friends.  I don't know about him - how was this album received by fans??    I think the country-ish song on there was maybe All Said and Done?   I guess Mercury in Retrograde has "twangy" vocals, but then it's backed by synths so it's still interesting.   Anyway - really dug this journey and will for sure try out anything new he throws out there.  mac made this anti-country guy a bit of a convert.   I really liked the openers and closer and Best Clockmaker on Mars.   Again, probably around an 8/10 for me.  I haven't kept up on newer stuff, so just assuming this is one of the better albums I listened to last year.  

I've been itching for this since @Raging weasel provided his summary several pages back. Again, restricting what I wrote about it because I didn't want to influence your opinion going into it. I chose the phrasing that I did because of your clear disdain for country and that I thought you may expect more rock n roll given the crossover appeal between our islands. When that isn't what this is. Nice curveball, huh?

I couldn't tell you how the album was received by fans - I try to stay away from general commentary like that. Music's personal for me. I love discussing music with others and I don't find absorbing content in that manner personal. This exercise has shown that I enjoy 25 years later write up's and perhaps I will do the same with this Sturgill cut in 2044 though. For me:

*Ronin/Remember to Breathe - by themselves interesting enough to grab my attention, but not special enough for me to seek them out on their own...but I came to really appreciate them on the repeat listens

*Sing Along/Good Look - when this album really takes off. Like you probably were, I was not prepared for the twist that came with that opening riff in Sing Along. WHAT IS THIS. ####. THIS ROCKS!!! This whole 4 song sequence listened to in order makes 13 minutes of life just fly by. 

*Make Art Not Friends - the intro to this song is necessary. It's long, but after that frantic start a reset is necessary. So I think it's deliberate. Then just when you're re-calibrated that synth kicks in again. And this wild ride continues.

*Best Clockmaker in Mars - this album really does have everything, doesn't it? Agree, love this track.

*All Said & Done - first time through it took until now for me to realize it, but I love the touch he threw in there with the radio static between tracks. In many cases, it was the only way to distinguish one track from another. Each one may vary, but the natural flow from one-to-the-next made it easy to miss if you were lost in the music and not looking for it. The sign of a great album.

*Last Man Standing - weasel made a fair criticism of this song, as the one throwaway on the album. Listening to it by itself I see where this is coming from. But listen to the album again and listen to this song for its place within it. It's glue. It's meant to attach All Said & Done to...

*Mercury in Retrograde/Fastest Horse In Town - what. a. finish. I'm glad to read you were able to get past the twang because I completely agree about the sound of this cut - and how it naturally fires right into the finale. The biggest pure rocker on the record. That builds...and builds...and builds - then just as you're at your breaking point it cuts out, the radio static takes over, then the tires of his motorcycle you heard at the outset to Ronin are heard - and if you look closely you can see his middle fingers in the air at Nashville as he fades into the distance.

---

What a ####### record.

Edited by MAC_32
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Steve Tasker said:

@MAC_32 you got an album list in here somewhere?  Looking to make some selections.

@KarmaPolice give me two randoms off his list, I'll do the 2/2/2 like @krista4 is doing with my island

@Steve Tasker - not that you can't do a repeat review but I noted the ones Karma Police has already done.

1 Rage Against The Machine Self Titled

2 Led Zeppelin IV

3 Jane's Addiction Ritual de lo Habitual

4 Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water

5 Pearl Jam Vs.

6 Bruce Springsteen The River - KP

7 Sturgill Simpson Sailor's Guide to Earth - KP

8 Tool Aenima

9 The Doors LA Woman

10 Metallica Master of Puppets

11 White Stripes Icky Thump

12 Green Day Insomniac

13 Tenacious D Self Titled

14 Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill

15 Janis Joplin Pearl

16 The Offspring Smash

17 Billy Joel Live at Shea

18 Zac Brown Band The Foundation

19 Sturgill Simpson Sound & Fury - KP

20 Velvet Revolver Contraband

21 Toadies Rubberneck

22 Greta Van Fleet From the Fires - KP

23 System of a Down Mezmerize - Randomizer gave you

24 System of a Down Hypnotize

25 John Mayer Live at LA

26 Aerosmith Permanent Vacation

27 Eagles of Death Metal Death by Sexy

28 Incubus SCIENCE - KP

29 The Refused The Shape of Punk to Come - Eephus did this one

30 Tool 10,000 Days

31 Foo Fighters In Your Honor

31 Fall Out Boy From Under The Cork Tree

33 Bob Seger Live Bullet

34 Doobie Brothers What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits

35 Vitamin String Quartet Nevermind

36 Flogging Molly Swagger

37 DMB Under the Table

38 Neil Young Freedom - Randomizer gave you

39 Audioslave Self Titled

40 Shakey Graves Audiotree

41 Neil Diamond Hot August Night II

42 Death Cab For Cutie Plans

43 Snow Patrol Final Straw

44 fun. Some Nights - KP :lol:

45 Halestorm The Strange Case Of…

46 Rise Against Appeal to Reason

47 Elton John Madman Across The Water

48 Enter the Haggis Casualties of Retail

49 OAR The Wanderer

50 Stone Temple Pilots Core

Edited by MAC_32

10 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

I can give suggestions based on your island or just go 'splorin, let me know.

I am picking Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight and LCD Soundsystem - self titled.

---

I am already familiar with Born To Run, Harvest, Franz Ferdinand, and Ten in a they were on my list sorta way. 

I am already familiar with Is This It, Hot Fuss, Pretty Hate Machine, Modest Mouse, Mellon Collie, Jagged Little Pill, and Black Parade in a I like them but they weren't on my list sorta way.

I am already familiar with U2, Taylor Swift, Dixie Chicks, Janet Jackson, and Rhianna in a KILL IT WITH FIRE sorta way. From what I've heard of INXS I'm guessing they fit here too.

---

So maybe gimme another handful and I'll pick 2 or 3. No rush - I won't start til Monday. Already gonna be a scramble to get all my work done before golf this afternoon then I intend to spend most of the rest of the weekend outdoors. Good time for mixes. Not so much for new listening.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

@Abrantes I just fired up Gang of Four, I’ve always wanted to really give these guys a closer look. I know I’m going to dig this.

Good stuff here. I listened while doing some chores so I don’t have any song by song review but it rocked and the chores flew by. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

I am picking Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight and LCD Soundsystem - self titled.

---

I am already familiar with Born To Run, Harvest, Franz Ferdinand, and Ten in a they were on my list sorta way. 

I am already familiar with Is This It, Hot Fuss, Pretty Hate Machine, Modest Mouse, Mellon Collie, Jagged Little Pill, and Black Parade in a I like them but they weren't on my list sorta way.

I am already familiar with U2, Taylor Swift, Dixie Chicks, Janet Jackson, and Rhianna in a KILL IT WITH FIRE sorta way. From what I've heard of INXS I'm guessing they fit here too.

---

So maybe gimme another handful and I'll pick 2 or 3. No rush - I won't start til Monday. Already gonna be a scramble to get all my work done before golf this afternoon then I intend to spend most of the rest of the weekend outdoors. Good time for mixes. Not so much for new listening.

:thumbup:

The one last night that came to my mind that I think you may really like based on the albums you drafted it Arkells - Jackson Square. 

I'm just basing it on your island being a bit more harder/mainstream rock than a lot of my picks but also those "mainstream" albums you picked (Audioslave, Foo Fighters, PJ etc... would be the same ones I would have picked). 

Also that LCD Soundsystem album will be very interesting as a first time listen :oldunsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

:thumbup:

The one last night that came to my mind that I think you may really like based on the albums you drafted it Arkells - Jackson Square. 

I'm just basing it on your island being a bit more harder/mainstream rock than a lot of my picks but also those "mainstream" albums you picked (Audioslave, Foo Fighters, PJ etc... would be the same ones I would have picked). 

I have never heard of Arkells, so I'll do that one based on your suggestion.

3 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Also that LCD Soundsystem album will be very interesting as a first time listen :oldunsure:

:lol:

55 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

@mphtrilogy

Ok, let's try these 5:

Portishead		Dummy			1994

no issues, looks good! will dig in over the next few days!

12 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I really don't want to make you listen to something you won't have any chance of liking.  I'm pretty sure you are familiar with some of my albums already.  If you haven't listened to the Eurythmics album, or Delta Rae, ELO, Elton John, Ronstadt, or the Tull any of those would be good choices as far as I'm concerned.

I'm willing to listen to anything.  Started with that Eurythmics one today and will cycle through those others as work background today to get a feel and then dive deeper over the weekend...

8 hours ago, Eephus said:

Buffaloes would have made it to that Peter Brotzmann track by now.

Is that the one with the car horns, dogs barking, and train? 

Posted (edited)

I am already familiar with U2, Taylor Swift, Dixie Chicks, Janet Jackson, and Rhianna in a KILL IT WITH FIRE sorta way:lol:

Just finished Spoon- Hot Thoughts

Right away I liked this much more than Muse- it's better in every way. There were not really any bad songs and the worst were better than any of the Muse. Best tracks imo are-Shotgun, I Ain't the One and Us.Overall a solid 7/10 and will listen to more of their stuff.

Now on to something I'm sure Ill like  Free- Fire and Water

Edited by Raging weasel
  • Like 1

@shuke here is my full list. Just noticed Ryan Adams was misidentified as Bryan Adams :(.

I'll highlight the 5 I picked before for your consideration. Like I said maybe choose a few from there and a few on your own.

The Who-Tommy 1969

Pink Floyd-The Wall 1979

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers-Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers 1976

Wilco-Being There 1996

Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 1973

Drive-By Truckers-Southern Rock Opera 2001

Derek and the Dominos-Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs 1970

R.E.M.-Life's Rich Pageant 1986

The Rolling Stones-Some Girls 1978

Jason Isbell-Southeastern 2013

John Lennon-Imagine 1971

Tom Waits-Blue Valentine 1978

Heartbreaker-Ryan Adams 2000

The Police-The Ghost In The Machine 1981

Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jabim-Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jabim 1967

Lou Reed-Transformer 1972

The Jayhawks-Hollywood Town Hall 1992

Dire Straits-Making Movies 1980

Levon Helm-Dirt Farmer 2007

White Stripes-Get Behind Me Satan 2005

Frank Zappa-Hot Rats 1969

The Rolling Stones-Between the Buttons 1967

Big Head Todd & The Monsters-Sister Sweetly 1993

Bruce Springsteen-The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle 1973

Justin Townes Earle-Harlem River Blues 2010

Various Artists-Singles-Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 1992

Chuck Berry-Berry Is On Top 1959

Dwight Yoakam-If There Was A Way 1990

Supertramp-Breakfast In America 1979

James Taylor-Sweet Baby James 1970

Johnny Cash-American IV: The Man Comes Around 2002

Tony Bennett and Dave Brubeck-The White House Sessions 1962

Traffic-Live From The Canteen 1971

Phish-A Live One 1995

God Street Wine-$1.99 Romances (Live at Tri Studios) 2014

Pete Townshend-White City: A Novel 1985

Jack Johnson-In Between Days 2005

Margo Price-Midwest Farmer's Daughte r2016

The Temptations-Gettin' Ready 1966

Neil Young-On the Beach 1974

Miles Davis-The New Miles Davis Quintet 1965

Paul McCartney-McCartney

Jeff Tweedy-Together At Last 2017

Billy Joel-Piano Man 1973

Faces-Ooh La La 1973

Golden Smog-Down By The Old Mainstream 1995

Muddy Waters-The Folk Singer 1964

David Bowie-Scary Monsters 1980

George Michael-Faith 1987

Bob Dylan-The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan 1963

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

I rolled a 48. What is a Galaxie 500?

Galaxie 500's got a great vibe. Picked Fourth of July off their undrafted This is Our Music for the '90s mixtape draft.

10 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

"Galaxie" by Blind Melon is a fantastic song, best they ever did IMO, including No Rain. And it's about the car.

"Galaxie" is great. Love Mouthful of Cavities too, also from Soup - which, along with This is Our Music, was on my list of leftovers. And like Buffaloes, "Change" is probably my favorite of theirs.

• Like 1

@Yo Mama

Finished up Fire and Water and not surprisingly it was my fav so far. I've heard Fire/Water and All Right Now a bunch and expected them to be the best tracks. I was wrong- Mr Big is my new fav from this album. Overall a solid classic rock album with no clunkers and a couple greats 8.5/10

I like Peter Gabriel but never listened to any of the old Genesis so going to give that a spin after lunch.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

Do Courtney Barnett Sometimes I Sit and Think...

its different enough than her stuff with Vile and for New Pornos, I'd actually recommend the album Tasker took over the one I have anyway. 

Soooo much i like about this record, and i'll probably never listen to it again.

Why would i avoid a such a genuine voice & vision, quite possibly her generation's Chrissie Hynde or Elvis Costello? Because she is training me to do so. I fear she is either getting bad advice or feels that tightening her lyric structure or heightening her production value is in some way dishonest. But she is immersed in banality, it's pretty much all she writes about. But if banality makes you banal, there's no contrast, nothing for the listener to grab onto but the chance to wallow in her mudpit.

She's better than that. There are observations, internal rhymes, suggestions of musicality that establish the possibility of a singular artist here. But she's missing the boat because she's not singing for me, she's singing for her. I can guar-on-dam-tee that Chrissie Hynde is no more impressed with the world than Courtney Barnett. But she fights against letting it drag her down, if only to be able to tell us her story in a way to which we might connect. That's the job of songs - to make a connection, not grocery lists of fugitive thoughts. Chrissie sneers, she pines, she insults, she pleads, she screams with frustration, anger and need. Courtney sighs and continues on. I don't pay for that. My first exposure to her was a video on a tennis court where she blithely waves her racquet at the projectiles, then becomes whimsical over how lame the game is and allows the ref to call it so they can at least chest bump once. If she'd run to the ball, square her feet and hit the sweet spot, she would have had a good time playing, the least we expect if she's selling tickets.

I'm an A&R type so, as soon as i'm not swept away, i start asking 'why'. And it's not cuz she's not talented. Not even close. The first issue to deal with is the flattened effect of her singing. She may indeed have vocal limitations, but there are plenty of artists more limited who are more musical. Case in point,  Pedestrian at Best - the verses are grocery lists like she does (which could almost always be tightened for effect, clever as they are - even Dylan syncopates his monotonic wordstorms), but there are deep suggestions of melody within the chorus that she doesnt commit to or allow backup voices to shape into that melody for her. There's no word for that but lazy, except possibly an unnecessary commitment to doing everything ironically. But you can't grab me by the lapels, and scream "I dont care" while you shake me and expect me to do anything but avoid the next encounter.

Gimme a day, one frikkin' day, and i turn Small Poppies into a masterpiece - a song that empty-nesters will be paying big to sing back to her 30 years from now just as they did when they were falling out of love for the first time. It's all there, all the materials to frame "An eye for an eye for an eye for an eye for an eye" into a generational chant. Likewise, Dead Fox can be tightened into a radio hit that makes social comment - a Pretenders song, if you will. Kim's Caravan could be anthemic, too, but was as dead as the seal before Courtney finished naming it and polished off by her refusal to yell at us. But, if Miss Barnett can't be bothered, why should i?

The final insult is Boxing Day Blues (yet another song tited almost purposely not to register as it should). She knew it had to be last, the haunt after the harsh of Caravan. But, for a change she underwrites the set-up, but then underproduces it, so that couplets Joni Mitchell would be proud of, like "My house has an open door/You need a lock and key" and "I love all of your ideas/You love the idea of me" get cast as fade-out music, throwaways. Sorry to harsh your nonch, baby, but you dont matter to me anymore and it's a shame you meant anything to me at all. Have a seat.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Gimme a day, one frikkin' day, and i turn Small Poppies into a masterpiece - a song that empty-nesters will be paying big to sing back to her 30 years from now just as they did when they were falling out of love for the first time. It's all there, all the materials to frame "An eye for an eye for an eye for an eye for an eye" into a generational chant. Likewise, Dead Fox can be tightened into a radio hit that makes social comment - a Pretenders song, if you will. 

It's very interesting to me that you view things through the label side rather than the artists side. Like the guy who dreams of being a GM and not a player.

Using the quoted part as an example, turning Dead Fox into a radio hit is the last thing I think when I hear it. It's way better than that. 

When I hear radio, I think generic.  Chrissie already exists, radio hits are all the same.

Like I say though, we listen and like music very very differently. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

It's very interesting to me that you view things through the label side rather than the artists side. Like the guy who dreams of being a GM and not a player.

Using the quoted part as an example, turning Dead Fox into a radio hit is the last thing I think when I hear it. It's way better than that. 

When I hear radio, I think generic.  Chrissie already exists, radio hits are all the same.

Like I say though, we listen and like music very very differently. 

not the label's side - the listeners' side. our art argues with the gods for us. these songs could storm the gates of Olympus, instead they brush off its shoulders like dandruff

ETA: plus, it's unfinished work - cured & boiled porkbelly, lying there waiting to be sizzled & seasoned into unctuous edibility. come on over, i'll mix us up a bowl of metaphors instead

Edited by wikkidpissah

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

not the label's side - the listeners' side. our art argues with the gods for us. these songs could storm the gates of Olympus, instead they brush off its shoulders like dandruff

ETA: plus, it's unfinished work - cured & boiled porkbelly, lying there waiting to be sizzled & seasoned into unctuous edibility. come on over, i'll mix us up a bowl of metaphors instead

It's really not, no more than any other indie rock album of the last 25 years. I honestly think based on all your posts in here a band like Nickelback is more your speed for current artists. This ties in with you thinking Foo Fighters should be our Beatles or whatever. Big ####ty guitars to the heavens. Hey they incorporated some southern rock, can't be any worse than Little Feat. You want polished pop/rock, this ain't for you. 

Edited by Northern Voice

This band is awesome and as prolific as you’d ever possibly want. I like a ton of their stuff but this is probably their best and most cohesive album. As an added bonus, the album ends at the moment it starts so it can be listened to on an infinite loop if that makes you horny.

45.02 King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity (2016)

Robot Stop

Mr. Beat

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

@mphtrilogy

Ok, let's try these 5:

Portishead		Dummy			1994

just finished up Portishead, Dummy - 1994.

Really dug this one, actually the track Sour Times was circulating on my local College radio WFUV 90.7 back in the day... so I had heard it before.... really enjoyed that one.... the rest of the album gives a very cool vibe,  glad I discovered this one again, had not heard the entire thing, good stuff..

Digging into Chris Cornell now, for some unknown reason he has been off my radar and well, catching up on his back catalog seems well overdue... thanks for the selection...

Will probably be listening to the other albums early next week... but I would say we are at an 80-85% + match, so going to dig into your list a bit more over the next few weeks 👍

Edited by mphtrilogy

@Bonzai @mphtrilogy

sorry guys ... got major plumbing #### at the house, and working on the sports draft judging today ... will dive in tmrw if you wanna suggest a few for me, plz do.  

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

@Bonzai @mphtrilogy

sorry guys ... got major plumbing #### at the house, and working on the sports draft judging today ... will dive in tmrw if you wanna suggest a few for me, plz do.  

Here's a few:

• Ben Howard Every Kingdom 2011
  •  Dawes Stories Don't End 2013
  •  Fountains of Wayne Welcome Interstate Managers 2003
  •  Julian Cope Saint Julian 1987
  •  Keane Hopes and Fears 2004
  •  Richard and Linda Thompson I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight 1974

PS: good luck with the plumbing, always a challenge!

Edited by mphtrilogy

Just now, mphtrilogy said:

Here's a few:

• Ben Howard Every Kingdom 2011
  •  Dawes Stories Don't End 2013
  •  Fountains of Wayne Welcome Interstate Managers 2003
  •  Julian Cope Saint Julian 1987
  •  Keane Hopes and Fears 2004
  •  Richard and Linda Thompson I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight 1974

right, my bad on not remembering you already suggested those ... crazy day here. 

i'll take Ben, Dawes, Keane

34 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

It's really not, no more than any other indie rock album of the last 25 years. I honestly think based on all your posts in here a band like Nickelback is more your speed for current artists. This ties in with you thinking Foo Fighters should be our Beatles or whatever. Big ####ty guitars to the heavens. Hey they incorporated some southern rock, can't be any worse than Little Feat. You want polished pop/rock, this ain't for you. 

OK millenial

• Laughing 1