Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Northern Voice

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

Just now, Yo Mama said:

I have not listened to Nick Drake, so I’ll defer to whichever you recommend more between the two. 

I'd say go with Drake.  Nick Drake, I mean.

• Like 2

Spinning Built to Spill right now.   

Probably sit down with a beer or two tonight and tackle another on the list tonight after the kiddo goes to bed.  

• Like 2

I'd pay the cost of an entire wheel of parmigiano reggiano to have Padma stop speaking Italian.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

2 hours ago, krista4 said:

Daft Punk - Discovery 

I purposefully did not read anything about this record nor look to see which songs @Steve Tasker took for the playlist, as I didn't want to be influenced in any way.  

Not going into great detail on the musicality here but just my impressions and whether I liked it or not.  Overall I enjoyed this much more than I expected considering I am not usually one to listen to electronic or house music.  This record combined so many styles that I shouldn't even classify it that way; it was a terrific blend of elements of different types of music, and I felt like it flowed and held together as a whole very nicely. 

One More Time – This start off fun.  Makes me want to Jazzercise.  Is that still a thing?  Oh, that autotuned voice.  Oh, that's yucky.  There are not a lot of lyrics here, are there?  Why do I keep picturing Flashdance?  What am I supposed to do while listening to this?  If I were dancing, this slowed down part would throw me off.  Does this get played at a lot of NBA games? Sounds like it would be.

Aerodynamic – Much more musically interesting to me than the first.  Nice blend of styles, good funk plus baroque??  Ah, short and sweet.  Enjoyed that a lot.  Was surprised when it ended; I was just getting into the groove.  This would be great background music for…something.  I'm not sure what.  [Listened a second time after running through the whole album and noticed even more interesting stuff going on.  Great song.]

Digital Love – Starts out like the theme song to an 80s show, maybe one with Greg Evigan or the other guy from Bosom Buddies.  Vocal starts in…and it still sounds like that to me.  Not in an unpleasant way, though.  Definitely has a Greatest American Hero vibe to me.  I mean that as a compliment.  This is very smart, interesting music.  My fave so far.  Would listen again on purpose.  [I listened a second time later, and this was definitely my favorite on the record.]

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger – Why does every song remind me of 70s/80s TV and movies?  This starts like Fat Albert.  No, I do not like this one.

Were these songs all new to you? One More Time was a huge, huge night club song when I was late teens early 20s club age. 

Digital Love comes up frequently on "best songs of the 2000s" type lists and such. 

Harder Better Faster is sampled in a huge 10s hit (Kanye). 

I kind of wish I got to hear all these songs for the first time in album context but for me those three are such a part of the zeitgeist as singles and I wasn't into Daft Punk when this album first came out. 

• Like 3

I think just seeing One More Time typed out I catch a buzz. It's either that or the patio beers...

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Were these songs all new to you? One More Time was a huge, huge night club song when I was late teens early 20s club age. 

Digital Love comes up frequently on "best songs of the 2000s" type lists and such. 

Harder Better Faster is sampled in a huge 10s hit (Kanye). 

I kind of wish I got to hear all these songs for the first time in album context but for me those three are such a part of the zeitgeist as singles and I wasn't into Daft Punk when this album first came out. 

Harder, Better, Faster is one I definitely knew, and One More Time sounded very familiar.  I spent a lot of time in the 2002-2006 timeframe with friends who were very into the club scene and this style of music, but frankly a lot of it always sounded same-y to me, so I don't remember much specifically.  I don't remember ever hearing Digital Love before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

@Northern Voice any more suggestions to add to my reviews? 

For your tastes, I recommend a Canadian rabbit hole. Arkells. Matthew Good (Beautiful Midnight), Tokyo Police Club (Champ).

This is assuming you mostly know the 00-04 albums I picked since I know you said earlier that was a bit of a blank spot for you. 

• Thanks 1

wikkid's selection

Joni Mitchell - Shadows And Light

I checked out a few reviews to find out more about this album before diving in.  It's commonly described as the end of her jazz experiment.  I am not a "jazz guy" so I am a bit leery of heading into this.  But figure wikkid isn't going to lead me down a bad path.  

It's a live album with a couple of jazz/rock heroes - Pat Metheny on guitar and Jaco Pastorius on bass.  Likely the keyboardist and drummer are high quality ...but I'm not much a jazz guy so just don't know them.  I opened up and started with the introduction on spotify and I couldn't tell what the hell was going on - it was an argument ...sounded like it was from a movie.  I did some quick research and found that it was a scene from "Rebel Without A Cause" where James Dean is arguing with his parents.  I went to youtube to find the concert live and they played the actual footage at the concert that also included a young Vic Morrow (Combat TV show) as teen hoodlum!!  (I had the Sgt. Chip Saunders action figure) 

I watched the youtube version for a while to get a better visual in my head and more than an eyeful of the late-30s version of Joni.  Always had a big crush on her ...seemed to give out a Faye Dunaway type vibe - slinky, sexy, cool and might possibly consume her lovers like a praying mantis afterwards.  

In France They Kiss on Main Street - starts out very Joni-like but without the high-pitched notes ...don't know if it's age, smoking or both - but I like it ...a lot.  Was this every a hit?  If not, it could have been.  (checked:  charted for 4 wks/peaked at 66)

Edith & The Kingpin - it sounds very much like another song, I wish I could place it ...very much a CSN feel to it though.  

Coyote - love the bass line, and it reminds me of core Joni (I'm no expert, but know the hits).  And #### coyotes - they'll eat your babies ...no, wait, those are dingoes.  Well, I don't like'em anyway.  I have no regrets about this coyote song though.

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - starts off with a pretty squeeky sax but moves into a focus on her vocals.  Now this sounds very early 50s female jazz singers - I only know a handful of the bigger names ...and I would get wrong whichever one I picked as a comparison.  Now back to the sax solo - I feel like wearing some Raybans and snapping my fingers.

The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines - starts with a jazzy drum solo and kind of Joni scat.  Great bass line with more sax overhead.  These last two take you back to early jazz days.  

Amelia - nice quiet song, apparently a mixture of a breakup and Amelia Earhart.  This sounds more like Joni - but it is odd to not hear the high notes.

Pat's Solo - for an award winning jazz guitarist, I admire his restraint, it's actually enjoyable and not like most guitar solos

Hejira - relaxing tune, though the subject matter was not for her - another break-up tune, I really like it though

Black Crow - Joni with a jazzy groove, I'd like less sax ("that's what she said")

Don's Solo - drum solo ...which in concert ettiquette, officially means it's time to go to the bathroom and get another beer 

Dreamland - the drum solo just smoothly converted to bongos and a South African beat.  It's like Joni crashed Paul Simon's Graceland album or I just walked into the Dawa Bar at Animal Kingdom and waiting on my Tikiti Margarita 

Free Man In Paris - well know classic and this is a great live version.  Even though it is about the stupid French again.  

Furry Sings The Blues - nice storytelling in a laid-back style ...I'm really liking this version of Joni

Why Do Fools Fall In Love - doo-wop, this doesn't seem fit the mood of the rest of the music - was expecting a different take 

Shadows And Light - takes me to a Baptist church on Sunday morning (not in a bad way) with the combination of the tempo, organ and background choir

God Must Be A Boogie Man - the kinda of finger-snapping beat jazz that is not up my alley - still love the bass on here though, and it picks up a little for me on the back end

Woodstock - come on ...the best, like this different version ...I even picked this song off the Deja Vu CSN&Y album in this draft

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

For your tastes, I recommend a Canadian rabbit hole.

sounds like a maitre d at a sex club.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

I listened to @Raging weasel's first album choice for me---REO Speedwagon/Live: You Get What You Play For (1977)

So, when I said I was an REO fan back in the day I should have said it was 40 years ago when Hi Fidelity was released----an album that I don't think has held up very well. 

This album contains live versions of songs from before HiFi.  Other than Ridin' the Storm Out, I've not heard any of these songs before.....and they're not really in my wheelhouse.   Part of it may be that I'm not a huge fan of live albums and wouldn't typically choose one to be my introduction to a band.  The lead singer is not a favorite but the lead guitarist is pretty great on several songs.  I didn't hate the album but probably not one I'll go back to. Hate to start with a negative review but  I have high hopes for the next 3 albums.  :banned: 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, krista4 said:

I canceled my trip to the coast.  Didn't feel entirely comfortable being where I couldn't be reached, given my mom's accident.  Plus it was going to be cold and rainy anyway.  So I won't be walking up and down the beach listening to Daft Punk after all, but will do it from my own home.

I rolled a die to see which one I'd start with of these six Steve Tasker picks:

Daft Punk - Discovery

The Postal Service - Give Up

Nas - Illmatic

Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster (*currently the thread theme)

Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe

Hinds - Don't Run

And the winner is...Daft Punk!  Here we go.

Second die roll gave me Los Campesinos!  :popcorn: 

ETA:  Think I'm going to watch Da 5 Bloods instead before launching into this.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1

Can someone unconfuse me, or link me to what's going on?  I think I want to play along, but if it entails listening to an entire album of System of a Down, I'll tap right now.

I'm going to select one more album so that I can append "52 Pick-UP" to my playlist title.  I encourage everyone to pick two more. 

• Like 1

I meant to pick this earlier, but good intentions and all that.

ROUND 52: Church of the Falling Rain, by the Stone Coyotes (straight outta Massachusetts).

My Little Runaway

Folded Wings

From a different albums:

Bad Luck

She's an Angel

Most of the Time

Rhythm Guitar ... rhythm guitar (not this song) done right might be the most underappreciated things ever.

ok ...going with wikkid's second choice for review

Ellen McIlwaine's debut album of 50 yrs ago - he said go with the first 11 songs off this album that's on spotify - Up From The Skies:  The Polydor Years

I have never heard of Ellen and wanted to find out a little about this person before I dove in.  Love the Jimi/Jack Bruce connection.

As a female vocalist who is known for her acoustic and electric slide guitar, her music tends to be classified in the folk sections of record stores, despite her strong roots in blues, gospel soul and rock music, and her cover versions of songs by Isaac Hayes, Stevie Wonder, Jack Bruce, Jimi Hendrix and Browning Bryant. McIlwaine met Hendrix in New York in 1966, briefly played with him and wrote "Underground River" about him.[citation needed]. She is also an ardent fan of Jack Bruce and recorded a version of a song by Bruce and his lyricist Pete Brown on each of her first four solo albums - notably songs from Bruce's first solo album Songs for a Tailor, as well as songs associated with Bruce (such as "Born Under A Bad Sign"), This culminated in her collaboration with Bruce himself on her fourth solo album, Everybody Needs It (1982).

Toe Hold - opening riffs take me immediately to early Doobie Brothers, but when she starts singing it's clear this lady is about the blues 

Weird Of Hermiston - so weird, the opening riffs here remind me of a Led Zeppelin acoustical - this time her vocals are less bluesy and more folk rock - this such an early 70s song - and I love it.   

Up From The Skies - female Jim Croce anyone?  

Losing You - bluesy guitar jammin'  

It's Growing - up tempo bluesy

Ode To Billy Joe - much faster in tempo than the original and its better for it

Pinebo (My Story) - South African beat ...nice background music

Can't Find My Home - her style and voice fits this great Blind Faith song - my favorite so far

Wings Of A Horse - bit of a Caribbean flair 

It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels - channeling Hank, super twangy and dead on the money

Wade In The Water - these openings are crazy ...this sounds like an Elton John song, love it

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised, this really sounds like the early 70s and I really like that.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Wade In The Water - these openings are crazy ...this sounds like an Elton John song, love it

As in the black spiritual?  It’s made to sound like an Elton John song?

4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

well the first 17 seconds ...and then how the guitar strums at the end of lines 

• Like 1

That reminds me, someone took Cassandra Wilson’s Blue Light ‘Til Dawn, and I don’t remember if I commented on it.  Was in strong consideration for my island.  Saw her do an excellent version of Wade in the Water once.

19 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Up From The Skies - female Jim Croce anyone?  

I got a Croce song in the shuffle last week.  I'd never heard it before but the verse had a melody that was very similar to Bad Bad Leroy Brown.  I kept looking around for a girl named Doris.

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

That reminds me, someone took Cassandra Wilson’s Blue Light ‘Til Dawn, and I don’t remember if I commented on it.  Was in strong consideration for my island.  Saw her do an excellent version of Wade in the Water once.

That was me.  I've seen her perform a couple of times a long time ago.  Once was in the lounge of one of the swanky old Nob Hill hotels and the other was in a converted loft in Oakland where she had to halt the song because a train was passing by outside.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, krista4 said:

here u go - dunno about the elton part

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

here u go - dunno about the elton part

Her voice is a tremendous instrument ther Gospel stylings didn't connect with me.  They seemed kind of mannered and disconnected from the Holy Spirit.

Enjoyed the guitar accompaniment, the playing was similar to Joni circa Hejira.

16 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

THIS ALBUM DOES NOT GET ENOUGH LOVE:  Honky Chateau

kinda brilliant

Is that 53?

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

That was me.  I've seen her perform a couple of times a long time ago.  Once was in the lounge of one of the swanky old Nob Hill hotels and the other was in a converted loft in Oakland where she had to halt the song because a train was passing by outside.

Ah, much cooler than me.  I first saw her around this/New Moon Daughter time, so she was “big.”  I saw her first with the Chicago Symphony!

Well holy hell, if you tell me that you see a better performance in 2020 than Delroy Lindo in Da 5 Bloods, I’ll tell you why you’re wrong.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Well holy hell, if you tell me that you see a better performance in 2020 than Delroy Lindo in Da 5 Bloods, I’ll tell you why you’re wrong.

Planning to watch this tomorrow or Sunday. 

• Like 1

@Dr. Octopus listened to God Street Wine $1.99 Romances live.  

This started off really hot with Princess Henrietta.  Although not a huge fan of lead singer's voice, this song was pretty good.

Then came a lot of decent songs, but nothing I was too excited about until track 11, "Wendy".  Pretty good.  I also really like Into the Sea.  Then near the end of the album, I start hearing a cover of Candyman. All right! But wait, that's Bob Weir's voice.  What's going on here?  Followed by Cassidy.  Glad I stuck around.

Not sure I'd listen to the whole album again, but a few songs I hearted.

Two straight songs I've never heard before that are really good:

Speedy Ortiz - MKVI 

Spiritualized - Hey Jane - wow this is incredible!

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2020 at 8:02 PM, Eephus said:

@Buffaloes you drew the golden ticket to the weirdest thing I drafted.  It's 148 minutes long (2 CDs) which is a definite slog.  The second disc is probably a better listen because you avoid nine minutes of Debussy and the Peter Brotzmann track which is hard to listen to  CD2 starts with track 16 (Black Satin)

Finished disc 1 last night and disc 2 tonight. I have some notes to sift through but I'll post thoughts most likely tomorrow. This was an eclectic compilation though.

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shuke said:

@Dr. Octopus listened to God Street Wine $1.99 Romances live.  

This started off really hot with Princess Henrietta.  Although not a huge fan of lead singer's voice, this song was pretty good.

Then came a lot of decent songs, but nothing I was too excited about until track 11, "Wendy".  Pretty good.  I also really like Into the Sea.  Then near the end of the album, I start hearing a cover of Candyman. All right! But wait, that's Bob Weir's voice.  What's going on here?  Followed by Cassidy.  Glad I stuck around.

Not sure I'd listen to the whole album again, but a few songs I hearted.

They have two lead singers - admittedly not great vocalists. It was them covering their full album at Bob Weir’s live venue and Bob joined them for the two Dead covers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, krista4 said:

Hmm, did you see that new David Spade joint on NF?  ;)

2 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Everyone at the bar or restaurant last night? 

Yeah quiet night. 

3 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Yeah quiet night. 

I can't comment too much- I didn't get to my review.  Ended up watching LA '92 instead. 

Hung out with some friends yesterday at a patio bar. Today am having a few friends over for a bbq. Tomorrow I need to watch Stalag 17 and the new Spike movie so I probably won’t be around much.

12 hours ago, Eephus said:

Her voice is a tremendous instrument ther Gospel stylings didn't connect with me.  They seemed kind of mannered and disconnected from the Holy Spirit.

Enjoyed the guitar accompaniment, the playing was similar to Joni circa Hejira.

yeah, that was my plight - the one i left a fast-track career for and would do again in a heartbeat. Ellen wanted to hammer the #### out of every song and, when you'd call her on that, she'd tell you a "jammim' w jimi" story and ask why nobody ever told Hendrix not to hammer the #### out of anything. she couldnt write to save her life, but she could play big (even tho she rarely left her acoustic guitars, she was using phase shifters & ring modulators before even the fusion jazz guys) and sing bigger. scats, howls, vamps of every kind, could bury a mix without a mike. kicks off the 70s with an album covering Hendrix, Bruce, Winwood, country, gospel that is the talk of every college radio station at JUST the time everyone's looking for the new Janis, ends it as a pig farmer in Michigan, leaving several mgmt types such as your humble servant in her wake. oh well - such is what makes life a glorious ride...

• Like 1

Tried some more Spoon today -Kill the Moonlight. Not sure if it was drafted but is a solid album I'd listen to again( but skip Paper Tiger and Stay Don't Go). Really liked the Way We Get By and All the Girls and Vittorio E weren't far behind. Solid 7.5 and will continue going through their catalog.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2020 at 7:57 AM, Ilov80s said:

Hung out with some friends yesterday at a patio bar. Today am having a few friends over for a bbq. Tomorrow I need to watch Stalag 17 and the new Spike movie so I probably won’t be around much.

Forgot to mention the new Spike movie also features Lester Freamon and Clay Davis (who even throws a sheeee-it in).  :excited: 

It’s not without faults, but well worth the watch.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Everyone at the bar or restaurant last night? 

2nd quasi normal weekend in a row, but not congreagating at any establishments. Baseball, grilling, yard games,, and patio beers. The location just changes depending on the day. We may stay low key Sunday, so if that happens I'll start spinning though. 

@Mrs. Rannous

After listening to this on background yesterday, I started really listening to Out of the Blue this morning.  Will continue with it later, but I guess I will give my  thoughts on where I've gotten so far.  Overall, I do like it.  I know ELO, but probably couldn't have necessarily picked out a song of theirs as opposed to other bands.  Here are the thoughts on the first 6 songs which I wrote down while listening in real time...

Turn to Stone - Nice upbeat little number.  Verse sounds a little like an 80s TV theme song.  What are they talking about?  When you come home, I turn to stone?  Like emotionally he can't open up?  Or like he hates her and just kind of blocks her out when she gets there?  Wait, did he say he turns to to stone when she is gone?  So he's like ####ed either way?

It's Over - Is that a guitar or a harpsichord?  Ok, I guess it's a guitar.  I guess he's become stone and now realizes the whole thing is over?  It sounds like he might be saying that it's over, but we will wait to see how many more times he says it just to be sure.  Do they use real strings or is this all synth based?  Is that why they are called Electric Orchestra?  Ok, I'm now inclined to believe that it is, in fact, over.  It's over, Johnny!  It's over!

Sweet Talkin' Woman - Hey, another bus has come along!  Opening sounds totally like a Beatles thing.  If you had played just that first 10 seconds, I would swear it was those lads from Liverpool.  Wait, lonely nights and i gotta get back to you, is he still talking about the same lady from before?  Wow, he is more hung up on this chick than Trent Reznor on Pretty Hate Machine.  Some of the other music and melodies sound Beatles-y as well.  This is my favorite of the first 3.  See, so like there at 2:49, is that synth strings or real strings just run through like a talkbox or something?

Across the Border - Horns!  Gotta get across that border!  I'm not sure exactly why.  I assume from the horns that we are talking about the Mexican border?  Gotta get the train south tonight?  The music is cool, but overall the song doesn't seem to necessarily go anywhere.  What happened to the girl?

Night in the City - Opening sounds like Boston or maybe Journey (?)  These sound like real strings to me.  I have no idea what this song is about.  I like a lot of the music, but overall the start and stop and repeating of different sections make it feel a little muddled.  Just kind of feels like some cool musical riffs thrown together without a real progression.

Starlight - What happened to the girl from the beginning?  Does he now want to go to outer space, evoking the cover?  Across the border not good enough?  Overall, kind of repetitive and feels like 70s easy listening type stuff.

I know that there were some other good songs later in the album, so will dive in again later.

On 6/12/2020 at 9:52 AM, MAC_32 said:

@Steve Tasker - not that you can't do a repeat review but I noted the ones Karma Police has already done.

1 Rage Against The Machine Self Titled

2 Led Zeppelin IV

9 The Doors LA Woman

12 Green Day Insomniac

14 Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill

16 The Offspring Smash

23 System of a Down Mezmerize - Randomizer gave you

31 Foo Fighters In Your Honor

31 Fall Out Boy From Under The Cork Tree

37 DMB Under the Table

38 Neil Young Freedom - Randomizer gave you

39 Audioslave Self Titled

For the 2 albums for you to pick for me - the above are all albums that I am already very familiar with + the 2 from the randomizer.  I would say any albums other than these would be sufficient for me.

Posted (edited)

Listened to Ocean of Sound compilation (double disc) complied by David Toop based on recommendation by internet randomizer. Slected by @Eephus in (I think) the 13th round, it's a compilation of a dozen or more different genres with most being pretty low-tempo. Fortunately, eephus provided a link to listen to it all because I had trouble finding it anywhere else. This review will probably be all over the place. I didn't really look at the artists all that closely. this will likely end up being tl;dr, but it's 2 discs of a 148 minutes of megaspectrum of music.

Disc 1 (stereo speakers) 😞 <---accidental smiley face after closing parenthese and colon. idk how to delete it

Alright, dub reggae. This segued nicely into a jazz fusion number and then into an ambient electronic track with some deliciously 90s dance beats. My notes say it has sounds that sound like bubbles. This opening stretch was promising. Although the transitions from song to song were not the smoothest, they worked and they set a nice tone for what I was expecting to be a chill, relaxing mix. Songs 1 through 3 I checked since they were the standouts of the 1st disc were King Tubby - Dub Fi Gwan, Herbie Hancock - Rain Dance, Aphex Twin - Analogue Bubblebath I. Alright so far so good...after that though it gets a bit hit or miss. Notes indicate some eastern flutes over light percussion, a 9-minute Debussy that was a highlight of the disc, 2 songs later My Bloody Valentine - Loom got some run, but it seemed shortened. Maybe not. When I listen to most things off Loveless by MBV I prefer to listen to the entire album so this felt out of place.  Last bit of notes on disc 1 stream of conscious style: monks chanting?; the flow of tracks getting a little disjointed, train horns, car horns, dogs barking; segue jolts into some wild avant garde sounding jazz; chanting and banging; some freestyle chanting or rapping I'm not sure; a lovely sounding finish to disc 1 with Harold Budd - Bismillahi 'Rrahmani 'Rrahim

Disc 2 (earbuds):

Starts of with some light world percussion and then is that a sitar? into jazz percussion and bass, keyboard, handclaps, whistles, jingle bells, this first song reminds me of #####es Brew. Checks out since it's a Miles Davis joint called Black Satin. Just like disc 1 this is a strong start. Going back to notes for this pseudo review: good segue into an ambient electronic track of beeps and noises. You can almost see the dj twisting the knobs to distort the sound. Sounds like 2 albums playing at once and the dj is switching back and forth with each ear getting bursts of sound and volume; song 3 is maybe the most beautiful sounding piece of music on the the 2 discs. This was worth it just to hear this song. Detty Kurnia - Coyor Panon is the name of the song. Soft eastern music with a woman singing over it. The music is simply gorgeous with strings and soft percussion flowing into, underneath, and around one another. Woman's voice and delivery hit the mark on this one as do the backing vocals which heighten to a near chant. This was the best track of the 2 mixes. From here it gets a lot jazzier, but the sequencing is notably better and smoother than the prior disc. well, until that part with squelching and screaming guitars and drumming. serious, that came out of nowhere. Ambient noises and what sound like seals; musice starts to sound cinematic for a couple tracks; downtempo dub reggae with what sounds like a melodica, and the final track which is simply what sounds like water dripping into a bucket is a really good closer.

Whew.

Quickish tl;dr summary:

This was quite a journey. I am going to refrain from giving it a numbered ranking because it just doesn't seem to suit the album. As an album, it can work in bits and pieces, but several segues on each disc are abrupt/disjointed. I think eephus said this was a cd in collaberation with a book Toop wrote on music and meditation. It's kind of a sampler platter of a wide spectrum of music. I could see playing it the background at the office and honestly I would be impressed if my dentist spun this while I was getting my teeth cleand. that might not have come out right, but it's interesting enough to pique my interest in a lot of the places and I think it would work in a setting where you aren't focusing too much on the album construction/flow. A lot of the songs are not easily digestable so a 1-sit review is probably not totally fair either. And although I prefer a more cohesive album experience, there are some standout tracks in this and I enjoyed the journey.

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Raging weasel said:

Tried some more Spoon today -Kill the Moonlight. Not sure if it was drafted but is a solid album I'd listen to again( but skip Paper Tiger and Stay Don't Go). Really liked the Way We Get By and All the Girls and Vittorio E weren't far behind. Solid 7.5 and will continue going through their catalog.

I drafted it. It's my favourite, along with Girls Can Tell. I think they're the two most "minimal" if that's the right word? More production as you go later in their catalogue. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I drafted it. It's my favourite, along with Girls Can Tell. I think they're the two most "minimal" if that's the right word? More production as you go later in their catalogue. 

Also listened to They Want my Soul and liked that one too. Think I've been converted to Spooning- lol.

On the other hand, also listened to 2 more by Muse(Absolution, Resistance and Black Holes.  ) and still don't like them. I think their music is good to great at times but the singers voice just makes my ears bleed.