Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Northern Voice

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

BTS has several other records (as you discovered from your research), all of them good to great.

I was just browsing this thread mindlessly while watching TV, and said to myself "holy #### someone drafted a BTS album in here?"

Then I realized you were talking about Built to Spill :bag:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

I was just browsing this thread mindlessly while watching TV, and said to myself "holy #### someone drafted a BTS album in here?"

Then I realized you were talking about Built to Spill :bag:

:lol:

Happy to report I had no idea who they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bonzai said:

Glad you dug them!

I'm on the same page with your takes here. If you dig these you'll likely find other records by them worth a listen. Royal Headache have one other album that's a little more punkish, but just as good as High. I had a hard time deciding which one to take. At the very least crank up "Psychotic Episode" sometime. BTS has several other records (as you discovered from your research), all of them good to great. My other favorites are Perfect From Now On and You In Reverse, but a lot of folks claim There's Nothing Wrong With Love as their favorite.

Looking forward to the other write ups. :thumbup:

 

I started some Mingus, but for sure need to restart tonight.  Not in the right headspace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2020 at 12:10 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

@Mrs. Rannous

After listening to this on background yesterday, I started really listening to Out of the Blue this morning.  Will continue with it later, but I guess I will give my  thoughts on where I've gotten so far.  Overall, I do like it. 

 

16 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

You do realize that the instruments and personnel are listed on Wikipedia?  I just found out that one band member plays a fire extinguisher on "Wild West Hero".  If you don't like it, move on to something else.  I won't tell.

:confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

the greatest tribute to Sly's talent is how long folks would wait to hear him. Saw them a month after Woodstock and we had already been treated to some righteous tunage by Wikkid Pickett, then the Rascals but waited til almost midnight for Sly's 9pm showtime to kick off. totes worth it.

By this standard, Chinese Democracy is one of the greatest albums of all-time.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 6:29 PM, Raging weasel said:

I'll give you 2 of my live albums to listen to- REO Speedwagon and Tedeschi Trucks

Really enjoyed the live Tedeschi Trucks album.  I've never listened to them before.  I was never a fan of jam bands in the past but I've grown to appreciate them over the past 10 years and this one is chock full of 9+ minute bluesy/rock jams. 

Tedeschi's voice is perfect for these songs and Trucks' guitar playing is unbelievable. Based on a quick search, they typically have 11 or 12 musicians on stage for their shows.  I can hear how they'd be even better live than on record.   I'll definitely be listening to more of this.  Thanks for the rec.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Didn't want to find a 23-song deluxe edition buzzcocks so glanced at a tracklist for the og studio version. :lol:   this looks fun

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

Didn't want to find a 23-song deluxe edition buzzcocks so glanced at a tracklist for the og studio version. :lol:   this looks fun

Singles Going Steady is eight singles and eight b-sides. Tracks 1-8 & 13-20 on Spotify. 

It was perfect as is. The additional late singles and b-sides made it bigger not better. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Tedeschi's voice is perfect for these songs and Trucks' guitar playing is unbelievable. Based on a quick search, they typically have 11 or 12 musicians on stage for their shows.  I can hear how they'd be even better live than on record.   I'll definitely be listening to more of this.  Thanks for the rec.  

They are great live, and they have a huge band that consists of a couple drummers, 3 horn players, backup singers, guitar players, piano/organ, bass, etc. They are a well-oiled machine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Rate this song:  Days of the Broken Arrows

The first few notes sounded like The Kinks to me, but then more like Jeff Lynne.  A lot going on in it. I rate it as a good song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, simey said:

The first few notes sounded like The Kinks to me, but then more like Jeff Lynne.  A lot going on in it. I rate it as a good song.

There's definitely some Jeff Lynne action going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mister CIA said:

There's definitely some Jeff Lynne action going on.

He’s in that band, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wikkid's review suggestion:  "What Up, Dog" by Was (Not Was)

I only knew of Don Was as a big time producer - had no idea he was a bass player/songwriter.  These guys had a couple of hits in the late 80s - a time where I was mainly listening to older albums I had and was focused on work.  

They have an interesting blend of funk meets R&B meets pop meets some jazz.  The lyrics can be wild - think Zappa-lite with some of their wackier tunes

Straight Ahead Pop/R&B

Somewhere In American There's A Street Named After My Dad - beautiful though sad song - nothing funk here - outside of a nice bass line

Love Can Be Back Luck - another straight up Motown tune - they like to do some odd stuff ...but they do this style extremely well

Anything Can Happen - sounds like it ought to be top 40 in that time

More Funky

11 MPH - very funky, great beat

Walk The Dinosaur - catchy ...addictive

Robot Girl - sounds so familiar but can't place it - familiar beat 

Wackier Style

Found I prefer them when they play it straight up - the wacky stuff didn't work as well for me.  

Out Come The Freaks

Earth To Doris

Dad, I'm In Jail

Can't Turn You Loose - doesn't fit in this category ...it's an Otis Redding tune in the Blues Brothers style which never "took" for me - on point with the cover though

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

wikkid's review suggestion:  "What Up, Dog" by Was (Not Was)

I only knew of Don Was as a big time producer - had no idea he was a bass player/songwriter.  These guys had a couple of hits in the late 80s - a time where I was mainly listening to older albums I had and was focused on work.  

They have an interesting blend of funk meets R&B meets pop meets some jazz.  The lyrics can be wild - think Zappa-lite with some of their wackier tunes

Straight Ahead Pop/R&B

Somewhere In American There's A Street Named After My Dad - beautiful though sad song - nothing funk here - outside of a nice bass line

Love Can Be Back Luck - another straight up Motown tune - they like to do some odd stuff ...but they do this style extremely well

Anything Can Happen - sounds like it ought to be top 40 in that time

More Funky

11 MPH - very funky, great beat

Walk The Dinosaur - catchy ...addictive

Robot Girl - sounds so familiar but can't place it - familiar beat 

Wackier Style

Found I prefer them when they play it straight up - the wacky stuff didn't work as well for me.  

Out Come The Freaks

Earth To Doris

Dad, I'm In Jail

Can't Turn You Loose - doesn't fit in this category ...it's an Otis Redding tune in the Blues Brothers style which never "took" for me - on point with the cover though

 

 

I like this record a lot, walk the dinosaur was a mild hit if I recall....  Don Was is now the president of Blue Note Records they are doing a great job reissuing some classics on vinyl for the 80th anniversary releases and doing them  the right way under his stewardship (AAA cuts where available and top mastering engineers Like Kevin Gray), the old regime did not do a great job with the 75th anniversary releases

 

Quote

In honor of Blue Note Records’ 80th Anniversary, the legendary Jazz label is launching the Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series. Distinct from the Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series, this 2nd series curated by Don Was and Cem Kurosman features mid-priced 180g vinyl releases in standard packaging with albums spanning the many eras of the label’s history presented by themes: Blue Note Debuts, Blue Grooves, Great Reid Miles Covers, Blue Note Live, and Blue Note Drummer Leaders. The series will be all-analog whenever an analog source is available with Kevin Gray mastering directly from the original master tapes. The albums will be pressed on 180g vinyl at Optimal in Germany.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This goes right along with @simey's question that she asked me about the twang (yes, there is a t in there).    I can't quite vocalize what the difference is, but what exactly about the music is difference between country that I can't seem to make it through a song or two of, and something like Neil Young, some Stones, some of the songs from The Band that are right there teetering on the country line if not stepping over the line and I like all of that? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more to add to the honorable mention list:
Tool - Fear Inoculum

I justified doubling up on this group because #2 had enough prog metal elements to it to differentiate it from OGT. But I resisted tripling despite this being substantially higher than some I picked because this one went all-in on the prog - it was a continuation of the last effort. There isn't a single lyrical track under 10 minutes, so I figure if what @KarmaPolice and I added attracts a new listener then they can pursue this on their own. I think there are 2 stand-out's (others argue 3), but I think it's best listened to beginning-to-end anyway. Thing is it's a long listen (86 minutes) and it took a big Tool fan (hi) 3 listens before I even began to grasp it, so as much as I love this album adding it in this particular draft just didn't seem to make sense.

Now let's see if I can get my work for the day done before this album ends then I can focus on starting @Northern Voice 's assignments.

Immunity...long overdue...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

One more to add to the honorable mention list:
Tool - Fear Inoculum

I justified doubling up on this group because #2 had enough prog metal elements to it to differentiate it from OGT. But I resisted tripling despite this being substantially higher than some I picked because this one went all-in on the prog - it was a continuation of the last effort. There isn't a single lyrical track under 10 minutes, so I figure if what @KarmaPolice and I added attracts a new listener then they can pursue this on their own. I think there are 2 stand-out's (others argue 3), but I think it's best listened to beginning-to-end anyway. Thing is it's a long listen (86 minutes) and it took a big Tool fan (hi) 3 listens before I even began to grasp it, so as much as I love this album adding it in this particular draft just didn't seem to make sense.

Now let's see if I can get my work for the day done before this album ends then I can focus on starting @Northern Voice 's assignments.

Immunity...long overdue...

I was for sure staring at this for my 50th pick instead of Gojira.  Like I said - if this was a real life deserted island situation, I would basically just be grabbing albums from 15-20 bands, and for sure 4 Tool albums would be on there.  I did back off a little bit because of what you describe in the bolded.   I think this is one of those things that if you didn't like the songs from Tool that we have drafted, especially as they veered into this sound and length of songs with something like Right in Two, you probably aren't going to love this album.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another honorable mention that I was looking at was the Judgement Night soundtrack.   Didn't hold up quite as much as I wanted it to though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

This goes right along with @simey's question that she asked me about the twang (yes, there is a t in there).    I can't quite vocalize what the difference is, but what exactly about the music is difference between country that I can't seem to make it through a song or two of, and something like Neil Young, some Stones, some of the songs from The Band that are right there teetering on the country line if not stepping over the line and I like all of that? 

I think these emotions you are going through mean deep inside you like country music. Now all you need is for D. Ray White to teach ya some flat footing dance steps.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

El Dorado - Marcus King

drafted by @Uruk-Hai

I was not familiar with King before listening to this but he fits right into my current musical wheelhouse, (real) country-blues. The mellow guitar riff that starts the album out on Young Man's Dream captured me right away. King's vocals aren't technically great but I've always been one that loves unique vocals, and he fits that brand. He has a very gritty but soulful singing style. The song was a perfect song for me.

The Well was a lot more heavy and a lot more bluesy and his voice was well fitted for that style and this dude's tone on guitar is solid and he can play.

Wildflowers & Wine shifts more to a gospel type blues (complete with a backing vocal chorus). Very pretty.

The tracks alternate between funky blues, country blues, heavy blues, gospel, and even some straight classic R&B and all work well. I didn't really experience any songs that dragged the record down. I listed yesterday while sitting out on my terrace with the sun shining and the cool ocean breeze blowing in - doing nothing else at all - and this was the perfect soundtrack for it. 

This record will take it's place in my rotation (which grows by the day) and I'll start exploring his prior work with the Marcus King Band. I think the Black Joe Lewis record was a better product but I feel I'll be listening to this one more since it fits me better. I drift to more mellow music now a days.

 

:banned::banned::banned::banned:chugs out of 5.

 

 

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I was for sure staring at this for my 50th pick instead of Gojira.  Like I said - if this was a real life deserted island situation, I would basically just be grabbing albums from 15-20 bands, and for sure 4 Tool albums would be on there.  I did back off a little bit because of what you describe in the bolded.   I think this is one of those things that if you didn't like the songs from Tool that we have drafted, especially as they veered into this sound and length of songs with something like Right in Two, you probably aren't going to love this album.  

And that is precisely why I added Right In Two - it's either the gateway or the end of the road, listener's choice. These riffs in 7empest though. If there is another track ever made by anyone with this level of quality and quantity I'm not aware of it.

Edited by MAC_32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Another honorable mention that I was looking at was the Judgement Night soundtrack.   Didn't hold up quite as much as I wanted it to though.  

I watched Last Action Hero over the weekend.  That had a really good soundtrack.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Another honorable mention that I was looking at was the Judgement Night soundtrack.   Didn't hold up quite as much as I wanted it to though.  

 

7 minutes ago, landrys hat said:

I watched Last Action Hero over the weekend.  That had a really good soundtrack.

I was eyeing the Until the End of the World soundtrack near the end of the draft:

 

Graeme Revell: "Opening Titles" (Revell) 

Talking Heads: "Sax and Violins" 

Julee Cruise: "Summer Kisses, Winter Tears" 

Neneh Cherry: "Move With Me (Dub)" 

Crime and the City Solution: "The Adversary" 

Lou Reed: "What's Good" 

Can: "Last Night Sleep" 

R.E.M.: "Fretless" 

Elvis Costello: "Days" 

Graeme Revell: "Claire's Theme" (Revell) 

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: "(I'll Love You) Till the End of the World" 

Patti Smith and Fred "Sonic" Smith: "It Takes Time" 

Depeche Mode: "Death's Door" 

Graeme Revell: "Love Theme" (Revell) 

Jane Siberry and k.d. lang: "Calling All Angels" 

T-Bone Burnett: "Humans from Earth" 

Daniel Lanois: "Sleeping in the Devil's Bed" 

U2: "Until the End of the World" 

Graeme Revell: "Finale" (Revell)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, as previously mentioned, I don't have the time to do an album listen justice. I usually just listen while I am working and that means I miss a lot and generally only pay attention if something is really good - or really bad. That said, out of my 50 picks, if you aren't familiar (or only vaguely familiar), with these I would highly recommend a listen.

Violent Femmes-Violent Femmes

Pixies-Trompe le Monde

Supergrass-I Should Coco

Cracker - Cracker

Madness - Madstock!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

El Dorado - Marcus King

drafted by @Uruk-Hai

I was not familiar with King before listening to this but he fits right into my current musical wheelhouse, (real) country-blues. The mellow guitar riff that starts the album out on Young Man's Dream captured me right away. King's vocals aren't technically great but I've always been one that loves unique vocals, and he fits that brand. He has a very gritty but soulful singing style. The song was a perfect song for me.

I think the Black Joe Lewis record was a better product but I feel I'll be listening to this one more since it fits me better. I drift to more mellow music now a days.

 

:banned::banned::banned::banned:chugs out of 5.

A song from this came up randomly at a friends birthday party on the weekend. We were outside on his deck drinking beer and so the host put on a random playlist on Spotify, we all agreed we liked the song.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, simey said:

I think these emotions you are going through mean deep inside you like country music. Now all you need is for D. Ray White to teach ya some flat footing dance steps.  

Lol.  

I assumed this was going to be the response.  Was also looking for something more specific that maybe I am not thinking of, having never played any other instrument besides percussion.  I think voice does have quite a bit to do with the equation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

And that is precisely why I added Right In Two - it's either the gateway or the end of the road, listener's choice. These riffs in 7empest though. If there is another track ever made by anyone with this level of quality and quantity I'm not aware of it.

That's a damn good way of putting it.  

I know I am a broken record, but if anybody in the draft might like Opeth it's you.  I don't think the back and forth normal/growl on their first wave of albums would be an issue if you listen to stuff like SoaD.  The musicianship is top notch, and most of their songs are 10min+ journeys.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

That's a damn good way of putting it.  

I know I am a broken record, but if anybody in the draft might like Opeth it's you.  I don't think the back and forth normal/growl on their first wave of albums would be an issue if you listen to stuff like SoaD.  The musicianship is top notch, and most of their songs are 10min+ journeys.  

I like Opeth, at least the Damnation and Ghost Reveries albums. What album did you draft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Lol.  

I assumed this was going to be the response.  Was also looking for something more specific that maybe I am not thinking of, having never played any other instrument besides percussion.  I think voice does have quite a bit to do with the equation.  

Think Im in the same boat as you with country. In general I can't listen to it mostly due to the vocals and can put up with the female singers more so than the males. If it's a bluesy country song I usually like it but not if it's too twangy. The sound of country guitar(or geeetar) also bugs me. I don't know enough about music to explain it either but it's more pitched and jangly than deep and rich. Kind of like comparing the sound of the Edge to Hendrix. Like you say, it's hard to explain but I know it when I hear it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 1:11 PM, Raging weasel said:

Have got to get something from the best band from our friends to the south(sorry Rush fans)-- The Tragically Hip. This is my fav album by them and listen to it at least once a week when I need a break from the metal. The hard part is picking the 2 songs to spotlight- everyday it seems I change my mind as almost every track is stellar. After giving it a listen earlier today these are the 2 that made the cut for today.

The Tragically Hip- Road Apples(1991)

Little Bones

Cordelia

I love this one.  The Luxury was a personal fave.

Not sure why I haven't been listening to this band for the past 30 years as they're entirely in my wheelhouse.  The only song I really knew from them was their MTV semi-hit "New Orleans Is Sinking" from 1989---a song I loved, btw. 

I'll be going back through their entire catalog now.  

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

I love this one.  The Luxury was a personal fave.

Not sure why I haven't been listening to this band for the past 30 years as they're entirely in my wheelhouse.  The only song I really knew from them was their MTV semi-hit "New Orleans Is Sinking" from 1989---a song I loved, btw. 

I'll be going back through their entire catalog now.  

I have a thread on them here somewhere. It's only half finished, I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I have a thread on them here somewhere. It's only half finished, I think. 

Yeah, I remembered that you were a big fan.  Loving most of what I hear from them.  Sad about the lead singer.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

That's a damn good way of putting it.  

I know I am a broken record, but if anybody in the draft might like Opeth it's you.  I don't think the back and forth normal/growl on their first wave of albums would be an issue if you listen to stuff like SoaD.  The musicianship is top notch, and most of their songs are 10min+ journeys.  

I've never considered listening to one second of Opeth for a variety of what I thought were legitimate reasons, but am now wondering if I made that don't listen decision based on complete info. So, sell me. Cause despite what my draft indicates I feel compelled to note that most of my catalog is not anywhere near as heavy as SoaD. I think them, Metallica, The Refused, and Rage represent the extremes of my music tastes. Just clarifying because of your 'listen to stuff like SoaD' comment. I really don't. There is very little like them anywhere in my library.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 11:20 AM, Bonzai said:

Margot & The Nuclear So and So's - The Dust Of Retreat (2005)

You can't help but wonder: without that name, would they have been bigger? They certainly deserved to be. So many great tunes. Great live act too. 

 

 

@Bonzai

Margot's frontman Richard Edwards released a new album last week.  Like his other solo albums I've heard, it's a relatively quiet affair with mostly piano ballads sung in his hushed falsetto. 

Monkey is the standout track on first listen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was considering the Easy Rider soundtrack during gimmick #1

  1. Steppenwolf - The Pusher
  2. Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
  3. Smith - The Weight
  4. The Byrds - Wasn't Born To Follow
  5. The Holy Modal Rounders - If You Want To Be A Bird (Bird Song)
  6. The Fraternity Of Man - Don't Bogart Me (aka Don't Bogart That Joint)
  7. Jimi Hendrix Experience - If 6 Was 9
  8. The Electric Prunes - Kyrie Ellison Mardi Gras
  9. Roger McGuinn - It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
  10. The Byrds - Ballad Of Easy Rider

A couple of Steppenwolf, a couple of Byrds, a great Hendrix tune and Don't Bogart That Joint.

No cover of The Weight is ever going to measure up to The Band.  The original was in the movie but not on the soundtrack album.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Eephus said:

No cover of The Weight is ever going to measure up to The Band.  The original was in the movie but not on the soundtrack album.

I'm a fan of The Staple Singers version from their '68 album Soul Folk in Action. Their version with The Band on the Last Waltz is good too.  Still, The Band's original version is the ultimate one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I've never considered listening to one second of Opeth for a variety of what I thought were legitimate reasons, but am now wondering if I made that don't listen decision based on complete info. So, sell me. Cause despite what my draft indicates I feel compelled to note that most of my catalog is not anywhere near as heavy as SoaD. I think them, Metallica, The Refused, and Rage represent the extremes of my music tastes. Just clarifying because of your 'listen to stuff like SoaD' comment. I really don't. There is very little like them anywhere in my library.

@MAC_32 - what are those reasons? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, simey said:
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

No cover of The Weight is ever going to measure up to The Band.  The original was in the movie but not on the soundtrack album.

I'm a fan of The Staple Singers version from their '68 album Soul Folk in Action. Their version with The Band on the Last Waltz is good too.  Still, The Band's original version is the ultimate one. 

It doesn't take much to send me down a rabbit hole these days.

Diana Ross and the Supremes with the Temptations is just wrong.  It did outchart the original though.

King Curtis delivers the mail.  Duane Allman plays here as he did on Aretha's cover.

I love Cassandra Wilson and the chances she takes but not all of them work.

Rickie Lee Jones' version nails the half passed dead part.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Raging weasel said:

I like Opeth, at least the Damnation and Ghost Reveries albums. What album did you draft?

Have you listened to other albums?

I drafted Pale Communion.   Good late-stage Opeth that has 0 growls and is more on the proggy side.  More of the sound like Damnation, but that album is no growls, but on the softer, more introspective side.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

@MAC_32 - what are those reasons? 

Up to this point in my life death metal has been a hard pass for me and not something I've ever considered re-assessing, but is Opeth actually anywhere near that subgenre. Based on what you have written I'm wondering if I just imagined that. But in this group's case will it even matter. That's a briefing on what's going on in my head right now and why I decided just to ask for a primer. I really don't know anything about them. 

My time & energy is going into the world of the aughts this week, but maybe this will take priority to others I wrote down later this summer. I need more info on them though.

Edited by MAC_32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Have you listened to other albums?

I drafted Pale Communion.   Good late-stage Opeth that has 0 growls and is more on the proggy side.  More of the sound like Damnation, but that album is no growls, but on the softer, more introspective side.  

Those are all I have listened to, have both on CD.  I'll rate Pale Communion at work tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Raging weasel said:

Those are all I have listened to, have both on CD.  I'll rate Pale Communion at work tomorrow.

@Raging weasel - odd question, but how much do you like Ghost Reveries, and are there tracks on it you like better than others?

I am asking because I put Pale Communion on there so people wouldn't instaskip if it came up on the playlist.  However, if you like GR I would point you to other albums besides Pale Communion, if that makes sense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Up to this point in my life death metal has been a hard pass for me and not something I've ever considered re-assessing, but is Opeth actually anywhere near that subgenre. Based on what you have written I'm wondering if I just imagined that. But in this group's case will it even matter. That's a briefing on what's going on in my head right now and why I decided just to ask for a primer. I really don't know anything about them. 

My time & energy is going into the world of the aughts this week, but maybe this will take priority to others I wrote down later this summer. I need more info on them though.

Not death metal, more melodic prog with some cookie monster vocals the earlier you go. Kind of like if Tool sang about Norse mythology and the occult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Raging weasel said:

Not death metal, more melodic prog with some cookie monster vocals the earlier you go. Kind of like if Tool sang about Norse mythology and the occult.

:lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.