Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Northern Voice

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

Draft ideas that came up in the last one could be incorporated as well four songs last songs video game songs excetera

Given the month and climate, we could do gay pride anthems, black pride anthems, protest songs as categories

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Voice said:

Maybe back to a song draft next?

I get that my experience level is several tiers below most in here, but does anyone else have a list of dozens of artists they want to better familiarize themselves with? or re-familiarize themselves with? Barring something unforeseen I may even be able to start reviewing your albums this afternoon :pickle:The last thing I want to do is another draft. I have months of 'new' artistry I want to navigate before I even think about my own library again. But I also get the sense I'm the minority in these waters and that this is at least partially being done to keep yourselves out of the PSF.

• Like 1

I'm just way more motivated to do the listening and discussing of the music while the draft is ongoing, there's lots of people in the thread, and lots of other talk going on. Once the draft is over, I don't have the discipline

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I get that my experience level is several tiers below most in here, but does anyone else have a list of dozens of artists they want to better familiarize themselves with? or re-familiarize themselves with? Barring something unforeseen I may even be able to start reviewing your albums this afternoon :pickle:The last thing I want to do is another draft. I have months of 'new' artistry I want to navigate before I even think about my own library again. But I also get the sense I'm the minority in these waters and that this is at least partially being done to keep yourselves out of the PSF.

I am more on this camp, but I could be talked into something depending on what it is.   Like I said in another post, I am having more fun exploring this album thing and might on my own start vacationing on other islands.  

• Like 1

I've also realized I much prefer talking about why I like music, songs albums then hearing someone else tell me why that music I like sucks. Maybe I'll just keep posting albums in here

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

I am more on this camp, but I could be talked into something depending on what it is.   Like I said in another post, I am having more fun exploring this album thing and might on my own start vacationing on other islands.  

I've brought up some of the albums on Spotify that some people have reviewed to compare the songs to the reviews. The only island I have visited was stopping by krista's for an exchange. She grows premium catnip plants on her island, so she gave me some catnip plants in exchange for a crate of dirty carrots. win/win

• Laughing 1

@KarmaPolice Listened to Pale Communion,Damnation and Blackwater Park so far today. PC is a very good album(7.5/10)  that is more prog than metal as you said but prefer it to Damnation(6.5/10). Compared to Ghost Reveries(8.5) and Blackwater park(8) it sounds like a different band and like you guessed I prefer the latter albums.

Ron Iver

@ronnui_

14h

Explaining The Beatles: This one is about love.

Explaining The Decemberists: Ok this next verse is really important for the story arc of the wicked court jester. Did you read the Japanese folklore I sent you?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight

I listened to this album cover-to-cover twice. Once very intently along with the lyrics and once in the background while I worked. I'll probably do something this with most albums. 

I initially had a lot more words written out about this record - song-to-song reactions, trying to emulate the journey...my intent was to note high points, low points, and everything in between. But as each song passed by my writing seemed very redundant. And then as the latter portion of the album rolled along the second time through it slowly occurred to me - there's more to it but to keep it brief, I'm sound first/lyrics second when it comes to music. If you're lyrics first then you're gonna love this guy (this phrasing was intentional). If you're not then your impressions of this music may never be particularly high nor low (that's why the prior phrasing was intentional). It's not that the sound is bad; there just wasn't anything about it that stood out to me. There wasn't anything about this album that left me thinking I must listen to that again! But it was also a pleasing listen beginning-to-end. I can also see getting lost in this music if you're one that gravitates to lyrics first though. Cause this is Scott Hutchinson's poetry - that's the main event.  And that's what separates this album from others of its ilk.

Since I liked one thing @krista4 has been doing in her write up's I'm gonna steal it in mine - my high points were Old Old Fashioned, The Twist, and Keep Yourself Warm. I added the first 2 to my library and they would have been my picks. Looks up @Northern Voice 's picks - The Modern Leper and My Backwards Walk. On one hand, 0-2...but given what I wrote about lyrical content being the draw, I'm not surprised. By both, but especially the former. 

• Like 2

@Yo Mama  Took another trip to your island today. A lot of your albums are either stuff I know I wont like (rap/reggae) or stuff I listen to all the time. I chose Steely Dan- Can't buy a Thrill to take for a spin. I like SD but have only listened to greatest hits and Aja albums. This is a great album- has 3 of their big hits including my fav Do it Again. I never heard Kings or Change of the Guard but liked them alot and added to my library. Only track that I didnt really care for was Turn that Heartbeat Over Again.

all in all a great album and great pick 9/10

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Raging weasel said:

@Yo Mama  Took another trip to your island today. A lot of your albums are either stuff I know I wont like (rap/reggae) or stuff I listen to all the time. I chose Steely Dan- Can't buy a Thrill to take for a spin. I like SD but have only listened to greatest hits and Aja albums. This is a great album- has 3 of their big hits including my fav Do it Again. I never heard Kings or Change of the Guard but liked them alot and added to my library. Only track that I didnt really care for was Turn that Heartbeat Over Again.

all in all a great album and great pick 9/10

my favorite SD, I love Brooklyn knows the charmer as well..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

Maybe back to a song draft next?

How about an album opener/closer song draft?  I think i could do 50 rounds of those.

• Like 2

I’m open for whatever but I also agree with NV that most people are better about participating when there is a draft. That said, we put a ton of time into this one so I am very much cool with doing another shuffle up and hearing someone else’s playlists. Even if it comes with a negative review or 2.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I’m open for whatever but I also agree with NV that most people are better about participating when there is a draft. That said, we put a ton of time into this one so I am very much cool with doing another shuffle up and hearing someone else’s playlists. Even if it comes with a negative review or 2.

The spreadsheet doesnt show the drafter on my phone so send me a couple albums and I'll listen tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

The spreadsheet doesnt show the drafter on my phone so send me a couple albums and I'll listen tomorrow.

Cool anything genres you particularly like or really dislike and want to avoid? I’ll check out some of yours. I’m open to anything but if it’s metal or county, it better be really damn good. 

10 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Cool anything genres you particularly like or really dislike and want to avoid? I’ll check out some of yours. I’m open to anything but if it’s metal or county, it better be really damn good. 

I don't like country,rap or jazz. I prefer hard rock , classic rock and blues but also like Motown and funk.

I'm also a big cheerleader for the Tedeschi Trucks Band so if you've never heard them give it a listen- Everybody's Talking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

I don't like country,rap or jazz. I prefer hard rock , classic rock and blues but also like Motown and funk.

I'm also a big cheerleader for the Tedeschi Trucks Band so if you've never heard them give it a listen- Everybody's Talking.

I would say choose amongst these based on whatever strikes you 

Relationship Command by At The Drive In (hardcore rock- someone compared to Rage and System of a Down)

Jerry Lee Lewis Live at Starlight Club Hamburg (high energy old school rock/rockabilly)

West Side Soul by Magic Sam (Chicago blues, soul, R&B)

White Blood Cells by The White Stripes (garage rock) 

Where Did Our Love Go by The Supremes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah I’m into the listening to others Drafter’s discs as well.

• Like 1

I'm going to listen to a random from @Buffaloes because he did such great write-ups of my island.

Rolled a 35 so it's Back In the High Life for me.   I lost track of Stevie after Arc of a Diver so I only know the hits off Back in the High Life.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Raging weasel said:

@KarmaPolice Listened to Pale Communion,Damnation and Blackwater Park so far today. PC is a very good album(7.5/10)  that is more prog than metal as you said but prefer it to Damnation(6.5/10). Compared to Ghost Reveries(8.5) and Blackwater park(8) it sounds like a different band and like you guessed I prefer the latter albums.

@Raging weasel - nice!  glad you liked them.   Like I said, I think that next couple I suggested - Deliverance and Still Life would be more in that 8/10 along with Blackwater Park.   I also think you will like My Arms Your Hearse and Watershed as well.  On those, I think you will start to hear bridge from the other albums - My Arms is veering back a tad more to their heavier roots and their 1st two albums, and Watershed is a slightly proggier Ghost Reveries maybe?  Also the last album with any growls.

Anyway, if you like their sound, IMO it is hard to beat their run of albums from My Arms to Watershed.  That is six there without a dud, and that is still being too picky.  The only one that isn't in my regular rotation is their very first one.  So for me that is a run of 12 albums without a dud.  

It would be hard for me to pick faves, but I would say my most listened to are Watershed, Still Life (sucker for those concept albums), Ghost Reveries, and Deliverance.   So you have only heard 1 of my favorite 4 from them?

System of a Down - Mezmerize - drafted 23.34 by @MAC_32

I forgot how ridiculous, in a good way, Serj Tankian is.  I don't think you're supposed to smile and laugh when you're listening to him sing, but I can't help it sometimes.  I've always enjoyed their hits, but can't say I go deep into their catalog too often.  The only song on this album that I knew prior is "B.Y.O.B.", which was a hit many moons ago.

Thoughts:  I enjoyed it more than I expected to.  I wasn't expecting to enjoy it more than the Eagles of Death Metal one I listened to yesterday, but I have to admit that I did.  Some of the songs in the middle bleed together a bit in the classic Serj Tankian vocal delivery style - they're definitely SOAD songs.  I very much enjoyed the last song on the album, "Lost in Hollywood", which is probably the least SOAD-sounding that I've ever heard.  Some of the other ones I really enjoyed were "This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm On This Song", "Question!", and "Radio/Video".  A little surprised that "B.Y.O.B." is the big hit on this album, because I do think some of these other songs are more memorable.  I suppose "B.Y.O.B" has that bit of a hook though.

Overall:  I'll give it a 7.5/10.  Slightly better for me than the album I had yesterday, a little more diversity across the album, which is not really what I was expecting.  Still not a genre that I'd find myself revisiting often other than their hits, but I do think this has probably held up much better than most of the rest of the nu metal era (is this nu metal)?  Nice pick.

• Like 3

Back in the High Life - Steve Winwood (1986)

Drafted by Buffaloes in round 35.  This is an extremely well crafted record with a bright sound that's so polished you can see your reflection in it.  Winwood seldom gets classified under Synthpop but there's a lot of that going on.  Some of the songs like the title track mix in acoustic instruments like banjos but the album is largely synth-based.  I think it would have worked equally well with more organic instrumentation 

Where many of his British Invasion contemporaries seemed out of place in the 80s, Winwood sounds right at home.   This is a modern sounding production with the beat way up in the mix; I think it sounds closer to 21st century music than 1966.  Winwood's chops and songwriting skills are undeniable.  My only criticism is the songs stick too long with rhythmic middle sections before the final verse and chorus but that's an issue with a lot of 80s songs.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

My review of Hinds - I Don't Run, selected by @Steve Tasker

I knew this could be a hard sell for me.  Readers of such works as this thread might know that I don't love a lot of female artists.  My issue, not theirs; can't really explain it.  

The good:  these women know how to write a song, and to play a guitar.  I especially love the songcraft in these, almost without fail.  These are great, great songs, fun and melodic.  I also loved the jangly guitars.  A nice mix of garage feel and a pop sound from song to song.  It's a terrifically mapped out album, too.

The bad:  there are two lead singers, one of whose voice I simply could not tolerate.  If I have trouble loving female voices, I could multiply that by 1000 for women with baby voices.  I actually did enjoy the other singer and would love a record of just her on vocal.  But every time the baby voice popped in (unfortunately in every song), I cringed.  A few were so tough for me I didn't listen through.  :(  Others had a blend and balance that made the song still enjoyable to me.  I also got a little irritated that the vocals were always fuzzy and distorted.  I guess that's their thing. 

I probably wouldn't listen to this again just due to the baby voice, which is unfortunate because there is a lot I love here, too.  If it's not something that bothers you, then I'd suggest checking this record out.

My favorites:  The Club; Linda; Echoing My Name; I Feel Cold But I Feel More <---I would especially love to hear this one with just the one person singing, great tune

Let's see what Tasker chose:  The Club; Soberland (live version); 1 for 2 I guess?  That version of Soberland was not on the record.  I also saw from looking this up that this is a favorite band and record of his, so now I feel bad for not loving it.  

ETA:  Next up according to random number generator will be Nas - Illmatic.  Then Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe to round it out.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, krista4 said:

My review of Hinds - I Don't Run, selected by @Steve Tasker

I knew this could be a hard sell for me.  Readers of such works as this thread might know that I don't love a lot of female artists.  My issue, not theirs; can't really explain it.  

Had I known this, I may have fudged the RNG to give you a different album than the one with two female vocalists......

• Laughing 1

Just now, Steve Tasker said:

Had I known this, I may have fudged the RNG to give you a different album than the one with two female vocalists......

If only you'd read my posts!!  :lol:   I know; I worried when I saw it.  I'm still glad I listened.  There was a lot of talent and great songwriting there.

• Like 1

Followed Winwood down a rabbit hole with his Greatest Hits Live album from 2017.   It wasn't drafted by anybody but it's pretty good.

Winwood is in great voice for a 70 year old and does some interesting things reworking material from a lifetime ago.  Higher Love is given a more soulful arrangement with sax and B3.  It goes on for about two minutes too long but it must have been great at the show. 

It's a odd coincidence to have Stevies Winwood and Wonder both be teenage keyboard prodigies in the 60s.  The third most famous musician with the name Steve W. is either Walsh of Kansas, Wynn of the Dream Syndicate or Wilson of Porcupine Tree.

• Like 1

I heard song by Traffic on the shuffle machine at work today. I thought to myself what a talented musician Winwood was/is.

I'm glad you reviewed Back in the High Life, eephus. That's a good one that I was excited to draft. There are a handful of albums or artists that hold some weird sentimental value to me for one reason or another and Winwood is an artist who does.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

48.24 Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place (2003)

Tracklist
1    First Breath After Coma    
2    The Only Moment We Were Alone    
3    Six Days At The Bottom Of The Ocean    
4    Memorial    
5    Your Hand In Mine

Edited by shuke
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 5:02 PM, shuke said:

28.24 Fruit Bats - Absolute Loser (2016)

I didn't listen to this entire album until today, and it's great.  Humbug Mountain Song didn't make my top 1000 songs thread because I hadn't heard it until my list was compiled, but it was an add-on.  It has slowly crawled up into my top 100.

Tracklist:
From A Soon To Be Ghost Town    
Humbug Mountain Song
None Of Us

Absoluter Loser    
Baby Bluebird    
My Sweet Midwest    
Birthday Drunk    
Good Will Come To You    
It Must Be Easy    
Don't You Know That

I'm listening to this entire album tonight as part of my ancillary listening program.  I'm not doing a "review" but just want to say again how happy I am to discover it.  Thank you!

ETA:  Just reading about it and see this guy was an instructor at the Old Town School of Folk Music through the 90s into the early 00s.  I have several friends who were/are, too.  Plus he played with The Decemberists and Califone, which also have friends of mine.  It's all coming together.  How did I miss this band?

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

@Raging weasel - nice!  glad you liked them.   Like I said, I think that next couple I suggested - Deliverance and Still Life would be more in that 8/10 along with Blackwater Park.   I also think you will like My Arms Your Hearse and Watershed as well.  On those, I think you will start to hear bridge from the other albums - My Arms is veering back a tad more to their heavier roots and their 1st two albums, and Watershed is a slightly proggier Ghost Reveries maybe?  Also the last album with any growls.

Anyway, if you like their sound, IMO it is hard to beat their run of albums from My Arms to Watershed.  That is six there without a dud, and that is still being too picky.  The only one that isn't in my regular rotation is their very first one.  So for me that is a run of 12 albums without a dud.  

It would be hard for me to pick faves, but I would say my most listened to are Watershed, Still Life (sucker for those concept albums), Ghost Reveries, and Deliverance.   So you have only heard 1 of my favorite 4 from them?

Yes, only one of your favs. I'll check out the rest at some point but going to check out some albums from iluv80s first.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve Tasker said:

I very much enjoyed the last song on the album, "Lost in Hollywood", which is probably the least SOAD-sounding that I've ever heard.  Some of the other ones I really enjoyed were "This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm On This Song", "Question!", and "Radio/Video". 

My 2 adds :thumbup:

9 hours ago, Steve Tasker said:

Slightly better for me than the album I had yesterday, a little more diversity across the album, which is not really what I was expecting.  Still not a genre that I'd find myself revisiting often other than their hits, but I do think this has probably held up much better than most of the rest of the nu metal era (is this nu metal)?  Nice pick.

I don't know how to define their music and while they got lumped in with that scene I don't think they really fit. But regardless, I completely agree that they aged substantially better than their contemporaries. Of the two I'm glad you drew this one though. I think it's the stronger side of the double and displays more range than any of their other work. When they go thrash it's typically with at least some sense of humor, but they not only deviate from it more frequently than their other work - when they do they nail it. And I'll take what you said about BYOB a step further. It's one of the two weakest tracks on the record, just depends if I'm in the mood for some synth that day or not.

Glad you enjoyed it!

15 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Relationship Command by At The Drive In (hardcore rock- someone compared to Rage and System of a Down)

Jerry Lee Lewis Live at Starlight Club Hamburg (high energy old school rock/rockabilly)

First up was West Side Soul by Magic Sam who I've never heard of before.

From the first track I knew I was going to like this record. That's all I Need had a Motown feel- just missing the female backup singers. Then Need You so Bad takes it right to Chicago for some dirty blues. All of Your Love, My Live Will Never Die and Every Night Every Day were some more of my favs. This album was so good I have a hard time picking a fav or least liked- even gave it a second listen . Giving this one a 9/10!!

Next up is At the Drive-in, another band I never heard of.

• Love 1

Was The Both - Hummingbird a @krista4 pick?   That came up in a morning shuffle today and I really liked that one.  

• Love 1

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Was The Both - Hummingbird a @krista4 pick?   That came up in a morning shuffle today and I really liked that one.  

Yes.  :clap:

20 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Just finished listening to Relationship Command twice and have to say I like this one too. The opener did sound alot like Rage and just got better other than the final 2 songs. They weren't terrible just the weakest on this album and I wouldn't always skip them. 

Fav was Quarantined - the rain leading to a groovy bass line before it really kicks in.  Also liked Pattern Against User, One Armed Scissor and Invalid Litter Dept alot. Another very strong album and a new band to listen to 8/10.

• Thanks 1

I knew RW would like that album.  Just didn't want to say too much pre-listen.  

• Like 2

@Raging weasel

I’m glad you liked them. I figured Magic Sam would be a slam dunk given what you said you liked. I also totally agree with your assessment of At the Drive In. It’s probably a better album if they cut the last 2 songs. They aren’t bad but feel like a step down from the rest of the album- why end that way? As for Quarantined, yeah that song rocks and scarily sounds like it could have been written this week: 

Autonomous machete for hands
Warden and judge hide behind masks
Wet raindrop lull
Small rationing
Exhumed the rhetoric of
Break the weak in single file
Sanction this outbreak- a virus conspires
Push becomes shove, days become months
I seem to have forgotten the warmth of the sun

Feeding frenzy, it's contagious
Have trigger, will travel
Single sparks start spectral fires

Shackled the grapple and the sentinels found
Binoculars watch cardboard towns
Strung up in webs the net was flung
Over the auditorium
Slave trade the weak, no call to arms
Sanction this outbreak; a virus conspires
And I seem to have forgotten the warmth of the sun

A single spark can start a spectral fire

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

@Raging weasel

I’m glad you liked them. I figured Magic Sam would be a slam dunk given what you said you liked. I also totally agree with your assessment of At the Drive In. It’s probably a better album if they cut the last 2 songs. They aren’t bad but feel like a step down from the rest of the album- why end that way? As for Quarantined, yeah that song rocks and scarily sounds like it could have been written this week: 

Autonomous machete for hands
Warden and judge hide behind masks
Wet raindrop lull
Small rationing
Exhumed the rhetoric of
Break the weak in single file
Sanction this outbreak- a virus conspires
I seem to have forgotten the warmth of the sun

Feeding frenzy, it's contagious
Single sparks start spectral fires

Shackled the grapple and the sentinels found
Binoculars watch cardboard towns
Strung up in webs the net was flung
Over the auditorium
Slave trade the weak, no call to arms
Sanction this outbreak; a virus conspires
And I seem to have forgotten the warmth of the sun

A single spark can start a spectral fire

Yeah I thought the same thing but forgot to include that in my review. Didn't know the name of the song on first listen but thought he was talking about the oppressed having had enough and start to fight back. Then I saw the title and was like- Damn, when was this written!!?

Going to listen to their other albums when my speaker recharges.

• Like 1

Motown classics continue to be my go-to every morning as I eat breakfast.   Thanks to the drafters that chose the Motown artists for really getting me to listen to such wonderful music.   Im actually taking a break from the usual Beatles, Eagles, and Zep.   

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

Yeah I thought the same thing but forgot to include that in my review. Didn't know the name of the song on first listen but thought he was talking about the oppressed having had enough and start to fight back. Then I saw the title and was like- Damn, when was this written!!?

Going to listen to their other albums when my speaker recharges.

In/Casino/Out is the other one to listen to imo. It was their debut and is more raw but it’s the only other album by them that I really like. The band broke up after Relationship of Command came out and the guitarist and singer formed Mars Volta. That band has similar vibes but is more prog rock. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Motown classics continue to be my go-to every morning as I eat breakfast.   Thanks to the drafters that chose the Motown artists for really getting me to listen to such wonderful music.   Im actually taking a break from the usual Beatles, Eagles, and Zep.   

One of my Motown favorites:  My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me) by David Ruffin

(and a parenthetical song title)

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Some of the most timeless and easy to enjoy music ever made. Glad you are digging it.

• Like 2

@Raging weasel

I've started up the Tedeschi Trucks Band. I had heard of them and was expecting something like the Allman Bros/The Band/The Dead and that feels pretty spot on but the cool part I didn’t know was the singer would be a woman. Only a couple songs in, but it’s very good so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

@Raging weasel

I've started up the Tedeschi Trucks Band. I had heard of them and was expecting something like the Allman Bros/The Band/The Dead and that feels pretty spot on but the cool part I didn’t know was the singer would be a woman. Only a couple songs in, but it’s very good so far. 

Really good album. I love the band uses horns and the organ at different parts- I like that so much more than just a band that does guitar-bass-drums. Her voice is perfect for the style of music (I swear she sounds like Stevie on the cover of Uptight). The whole band can really jam and it’s obvious why fans of classic rock would be way into this. How do their studio albums compare to the live stuff? They sounded so good love that it’s hard to imagine their studio stuff coming close. 

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Really good album. I love the band uses horns and the organ at different parts- I like that so much more than just a band that does guitar-bass-drums. Her voice is perfect for the style of music (I swear she sounds like Stevie on the cover of Uptight). The whole band can really jam and it’s obvious why fans of classic rock would be way into this. How do their studio albums compare to the live stuff? They sounded so good love that it’s hard to imagine their studio stuff coming close. 

Only studio album I've listened to is their 1st- Revelator and it's a very good album. The sound is pretty much the same but the live versions are usually extended and the have more energy. I drafted this album because I prefer the live version of my fav song (Midnight in Harlem) over the studio version. At one of the Crossroads festivals they played at Buddy Guy and some others join in on this song and it's really great.

Was supposed to see them for the 4th time this summer but that's not going to happen :(. Glad you enjoyed it!

• Like 1