What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

White Light/White Heat went undrafted as well. 
Yeah but I was tied to V.U. via gimmick.

I don't have an absolute favorite Velvet Underground album because they have great songs and some not so great ones.  None of the albums jump out as a significantly better than the rest.  That's probably helped because I was introduced to all of them after the fact; none of them have strong personal memories like a lot of the albums I drafted.

This is a direct quote - Kinda doughy, slightly undercooked crust....little bit sweeter on the sauce, "cup-char" pepperoni.   ...I'm not sure if that description was supposed to sell me on it, but I have to admit, it was pretty great.
The "slightly undercooked crust" is a bit of an issue for me, but again I will not turn down trying any pizza.  The rest sounds good.  The "cup-char" pepperoni is what was on the Sicilian I posted.

Oh, man, The Weakerthans. I should have drafted them too. I contemplated doing a new thread that was something along the lines of "50 best Canadian bands of the last 30 years" or something. With one band per day and a write up and like a 30 song into to the band. Maybe I should. The Weakerthans are so good :wub:

This is a direct quote - Kinda doughy, slightly undercooked crust....little bit sweeter on the sauce, "cup-char" pepperoni.   ...I'm not sure if that description was supposed to sell me on it, but I have to admit, it was pretty great.
The "slightly undercooked crust" is a bit of an issue for me, but again I will not turn down trying any pizza.  The rest sounds good.  The "cup-char" pepperoni is what was on the Sicilian I posted.
Yeah, the Sicilian actually looked somewhat similar. 

Yeah but I was tied to V.U. via gimmick.

I don't have an absolute favorite Velvet Underground album because they have great songs and some not so great ones.  None of the albums jump out as a significantly better than the rest.  That's probably helped because I was introduced to all of them after the fact; none of them have strong personal memories like a lot of the albums I drafted.
I like Loaded way more than the early experimental stuff... :oldunsure:

Good call yesterday on Tony's Pizza Napoletana.  An outside table on a not so cold SF night while North Beach passes by is heaven.
Oh, that does sound like heaven.  We were there last November on a cold day, sat at the bar with one of the world's best bartenders.  I bet you'd know of the guy...he had an unusual name that I can't recall at the moment.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched season 1 episode 1 of Top Chef as an amuse-bouche today.  It's interesting to see how the show has evolved since 2006.  The S1 contestants were rank amateurs compared to the polished chefs who compete today.  Colicchio is a more comfortable TV personality now compared to his former, more twitchy self.  And Katie Lee Joel is no Padma.

I watched season 1 episode 1 of Top Chef as an amuse-bouche today.  It's interesting to see how the show has evolved since 2006.  The S1 contestants were rank amateurs compared to the polished chefs who compete today.  Colicchio is a more comfortable TV personality now compared to his former, more twitchy self.  And Katie Lee Joel is no Padma.
I didn't start watching until Season 3.  Interesting idea to go back and watch those earlier seasons.  What is a Katie Lee Joel?

I didn't start watching until Season 3.  Interesting idea to go back and watch those earlier seasons.  What is a Katie Lee Joel?
Nevermind, just looked her up.  She's pretty, though.  How's her Italian?

I don’t remember when the quality of the contestants improved but there definitely was a transition before it became a highly sought after opportunity for some of the best up and coming chefs. I remember some of the early contestants barely being a step above a Hells Kitchen contestant. Now, almost everyone that comes on has a Food and Wine or James Beard nomination or they trained under a Michelin star chef. 

Hey gang, sorry I disappeared this past week (not that I’m super active most of the time anyway). It’s been a rough week at work and I had it out this past Sunday with a close friend who’s turned into a big mask conspiracist so my heart really hasn’t been in it. 

Anyway, sorry I haven’t finished my reviews, Krista. I have some interesting notes from a quite-stoned listening of the Flaming Lips last Saturday night. I’ll try to decipher/transcribe them tomorrow and hopefully be in a better space to do more listening this weekend. 

Can we replace albums on our island?  

@MAC_32 - a drunk KP just watched the Pneuma drumming vid 4x in a row and probably need to replace that iffy Cypress Hill album with Fear Inoculum.  

Hey gang, sorry I disappeared this past week (not that I’m super active most of the time anyway). It’s been a rough week at work and I had it out this past Sunday with a close friend who’s turned into a big mask conspiracist so my heart really hasn’t been in it. 

Anyway, sorry I haven’t finished my reviews, Krista. I have some interesting notes from a quite-stoned listening of the Flaming Lips last Saturday night. I’ll try to decipher/transcribe them tomorrow and hopefully be in a better space to do more listening this weekend. 
No worries here!  You shouldn't feel obligated in any way.  Hope things are going better.

I've probably never mentioned before how bad Padma's Italian is, but just in case...

"Boooona fourtoona, eee toooooti"

I won't post anymore to avoid spoilers, but my last post is that Melissa putting some sauce into that octopus made me wanna die, in a good way.  So much yum.

My divorce is final today.  (No TPW necessary.)  Loudon Wainwright has something appropriate for every situation.
In case you guys didn't click the link (why??), I'd love to share some italicized lyrics for you that couldn't fit my life more perfectly.  Especially the part about always wanting to leave town!

Every night I get the blues
Greens and yellows and chartreuses
You're still living here with me, I'd rather be lonely

All the time I look around
For excuses to leave town
Everybody wants somebody but I'd rather be lonely

Loneliness is happiness it takes less than two
I confess that I digress from it when I'm with you

Let's us make a brand new start
Separate and stay apart
I've had enough having and holding
I'd rather be lonely

I think that I need some space
Every day you're in my face
How can I get rid of you, I'd rather be lonely

One more verse, a few more words
Love is for the bees and birds
Not for a human being like me
I'd rather be lonely

Thanks to Simey and whoever else mentioned the TV documentary Laurel Canyon.  It took us four nights to get through it but it was excellent.  The still photo and home movie material was wonderful. It was much better than Echo in the Canyon which had too much Jakob Dylan.

I was so inspired I listened to the Eagles on my noontime walk.  There's some stuff there to like musically but I can't get over my irrational hatred for them.  The side one closing pairing of Tequila Sunrise and Desperado is undeniably strong.
I enjoyed Laurel Canyon, but with only 2 roughly 80 minute episodes it felt rushed to me. I wanted to see more of some of the musicians. Maybe there was a lack of photos and home movies of them. 

I enjoyed Laurel Canyon, but with only 2 roughly 80 minute episodes it felt rushed to me. I wanted to see more of some of the musicians. Maybe there was a lack of photos and home movies of them. 
Carole King was noticeably absent.  She lived in the neighborhood but wasn't a big part of the social scene.

No Top Chef spoilers other than to say Dario the Italian butcher needs his own show.
I kept getting distracted with other stuff, and now it’s midnight and I’ve only watched about 1/2 hour of it.  Will watch later tomorrow, but don’t feel like you guys need to spoiler for me.

Something / Anything - Todd Rundgren

drafted by @Uruk-Hai

I wanted to listen to this one because other than his big hits, Todd's music had always escaped me. For no particular reason I just never explored his records. This album sounds so seventies (which is not a bad thing) and it really surprised me in many ways. I guess it really should have due to "Hello It's Me" and "I Saw The Light" but I did not realize how poppy he was. I thought he was more of a rocker for whatever reason. This was a really fun record. Like most double albums there were a few clunkers but the heights were fantastic. I get a Pink Floyd vibe on some level, but it's more like if Carol King made sweet love to Pink and this popped out nine months later. I could live without some of the transition "skits" in between songs but there was a run of greatness in the second half: "Breathless" through "Couldn't I Just Tell You".

This will remain in my ever growing rotation.

:banned: :banned: :banned: :banned:  out of five.

That's 4 from Uruk's Island - I may raft over to another. @KarmaPolice, I'm guessing the organized island visits are not happening anymore? I'll probably try to randomly pick some unless anyone really wants to sell me on their island.

Something / Anything - Todd Rundgren

drafted by @Uruk-Hai

I wanted to listen to this one because other than his big hits, Todd's music had always escaped me. For no particular reason I just never explored his records. This album sounds so seventies (which is not a bad thing) and it really surprised me in many ways. I guess it really should have due to "Hello It's Me" and "I Saw The Light" but I did not realize how poppy he was. I thought he was more of a rocker for whatever reason. This was a really fun record. Like most double albums there were a few clunkers but the heights were fantastic. I get a Pink Floyd vibe on some level, but it's more like if Carol King made sweet love to Pink and this popped out nine months later. I could live without some of the transition "skits" in between songs but there was a run of greatness in the second half: "Breathless" through "Couldn't I Just Tell You".

This will remain in my ever growing rotation.

:banned: :banned: :banned: :banned:  out of five.
You should hop over to Binky's island and give Todd's followup A Wizard, A True Star a listen. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the contrasts.

That's 4 from Uruk's Island - I may raft over to another. @KarmaPolice, I'm guessing the organized island visits are not happening anymore? I'll probably try to randomly pick some unless anyone really wants to sell me on their island.
@Dr. Octopus I am guessing no.  Seems like a couple started swimming to other island this week who were interested in doing more draft lists.  That's why I shuffled as well and got krista.  I would guess do the same and randomly pick one unless I hear in here that people want a group shuffle soon we can do that too.  

Tokyo Police Club - Champ

I can't tell if I've heard some of their music before or if there is just way too much of a Strokes vibe to it. I got irrationally annoyed when they veered towards the latter because if I wanted to listen to the Strokes then I'd listen to the Strokes. But anytime that annoyance started building up they made a left turn away from it - it happened with Breakneck Speed. Then again with Bambi and End of a Spark. And one more time as the album came to a close with Not Sick and Frankenstein. This album was at its best when they combined energy and enthusiasm with those left turns. 

I wonder with time which of those tracks will reside at the top of my to listen to list, but after 2 spins Bambi and Frankenstein reside above the other 3, but I needed a third time through to separate them from End of a Spark. Looks up @Northern Voice 's picks - Breakneck Speed and Frankenstein. So I got 1 out of 2 this time, but both were in my 5 high points. This is not a record I'd listen to again cover-to-cover, but its higher points resonated with me more than Frightened Rabbit. If you're at all into indie pop-rock from the aughts I highly recommend giving them a spin.

Tokyo Police Club - Champ

I can't tell if I've heard some of their music before or if there is just way too much of a Strokes vibe to it. I got irrationally annoyed when they veered towards the latter because if I wanted to listen to the Strokes then I'd listen to the Strokes. But anytime that annoyance started building up they made a left turn away from it - it happened with Breakneck Speed. Then again with Bambi and End of a Spark. And one more time as the album came to a close with Not Sick and Frankenstein. This album was at its best when they combined energy and enthusiasm with those left turns. 

I wonder with time which of those tracks will reside at the top of my to listen to list, but after 2 spins Bambi and Frankenstein reside above the other 3, but I needed a third time through to separate them from End of a Spark. Looks up @Northern Voice 's picks - Breakneck Speed and Frankenstein. So I got 1 out of 2 this time, but both were in my 5 high points. This is not a record I'd listen to again cover-to-cover, but its higher points resonated with me more than Frightened Rabbit. If you're at all into indie pop-rock from the aughts I highly recommend giving them a spin.
Bambi is the best song on here IMO, I just draft it every time we do one of these things, so I switched it up. 

Thanks to Simey and whoever else mentioned the TV documentary Laurel Canyon.  It took us four nights to get through it but it was excellent.  The still photo and home movie material was wonderful. It was much better than Echo in the Canyon which had too much Jakob Dylan.

I was so inspired I listened to the Eagles on my noontime walk.  There's some stuff there to like musically but I can't get over my irrational hatred for them.  The side one closing pairing of Tequila Sunrise and Desperado is undeniably strong.
I enjoy most Eagles tunes but cannot listen to a few seconds of Desperado.   “Alexa, next!”   

In case you guys didn't click the link (why??), I'd love to share some italicized lyrics for you that couldn't fit my life more perfectly.  Especially the part about always wanting to leave town!

Every night I get the blues
Greens and yellows and chartreuses
You're still living here with me, I'd rather be lonely

All the time I look around
For excuses to leave town
Everybody wants somebody but I'd rather be lonely

Loneliness is happiness it takes less than two
I confess that I digress from it when I'm with you

Let's us make a brand new start
Separate and stay apart
I've had enough having and holding
I'd rather be lonely

I think that I need some space
Every day you're in my face
How can I get rid of you, I'd rather be lonely

One more verse, a few more words
Love is for the bees and birds
Not for a human being like me
I'd rather be lonely
That’s rough.  

Impossible. 

I see the new Bob Dylan album is getting RAVES. 

You should hop over to Binky's island and give Todd's followup A Wizard, A True Star a listen. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the contrasts.
A Wizard, A True Star - Todd Rundgren

drafted by @Binky The Doormat

I listened to this one walking to the beach and sitting there for about an hour, so my review won't be as extensive as I really did not look at the song titles - just experienced the album. I expected more of a contrast based on the quoted post, but this one was a little more of what I expected out of Todd Rundgren. The pop sensibilities were still there but this one was surely a little "weirder". Some of it reminded me of early Frank Zappa with the silly lyrics and deliveries but a toned down version of that. I did not know any songs going into this record outside of the Motown cover melody (he did a great job with it). Some of it worked for me some of it was just "ok". I'll likely give it another listen eventually to form a stronger opinion but it was surely enjoyable at the very least.

:banned: :banned: :banned: chugs out of five.

Users who are viewing this thread