What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (6 Viewers)

I nabbed this guy tonight. I think he was dumped in the neighborhood about 5 months ago. Whatever his story is, he has been a stray for months.  He runs if you approach him. He is getting vaccinated and his balls cut off tomorrow morning. 💉 ✂️
Ohhhh, isn't he cute?!  That pink nose!  Sorry about your balls, buddy!*

*This is meant for the cat in the cage, not for Guy Who Likes Bad Music.

I nabbed this guy tonight. I think he was dumped in the neighborhood about 5 months ago. Whatever his story is, he has been a stray for months.  He runs if you approach him. He is getting vaccinated and his balls cut off tomorrow morning. 💉 ✂️
Are you sure he's unadoptable?  Who checks that stuff?  He's so scared, poor guy.

Are you sure he's unadoptable?  Who checks that stuff?  He's so scared, poor guy.
I'm sure that the shelter will not take him. His temperament is too wild in the trap. I only see this guy at night, and he doesn't come within 30 feet of me. He is welcome to befriend a neighbor around here. Someone might could work with him and gain his trust over time, but as I said, he only comes out at night right now. He has to survive the coyotes around here, but he has so far over the last few months. He will get neutered today and get his rabies and distemper. He will also be dewormed, and given one flea treatment. He will also get his left ear clipped at the top. I'll let him go right where I trapped him tomorrow morning and wish him well. That's the best I can do for him right now, but his womanizing days are over. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how Pitchfork rates the albums, but I've gotten through the T.Swift and Arkells albums so far and liked both. 

Will probably listen to another at work today.  

I think Joe is a gem and I would wish my kids to grow up with his values.  
He seems like a genuinely nice guy. However, from what I have gleaned from perusing the Politics Forum, the owner/founder of this site is pretty far right and Joe is pretty religious. I think those two things likely lead to a lot of stuff being acceptable that IMO shouldn't be. But, this isn't my site, I just post here so c'est la vie.

He seems like a genuinely nice guy. However, from what I have gleaned from perusing the Politics Forum, the owner/founder of this site is pretty far right and Joe is pretty religious. I think those two things likely lead to a lot of stuff being acceptable that IMO shouldn't be. But, this isn't my site, I just post here so c'est la vie.
I'm fairly apolitical, but I'd stay out of there even if I wasn't.  

Does anyone really believe they are going to change some stranger's mind who is as entrenched in their beliefs as they are?

Binky The Doormat said:

Does anyone really believe they are going to change some stranger's mind who is as entrenched in their beliefs as they are?
I can think of a handful of times in my life where it has happened - but those were the early days of the internet. In the current environment probably not. However, as much as I have tried to stop myself, I do get drawn into the COVID19 threads. These are political - but shouldn't be. I am pretty sad/disgusted/angry/frustrated regarding how the situation was handled and the various "acceptable opinions" on the subject. COVID19 threads rip the hope out of me. They are a microcosm of why we can't have nice things.

Back to music, I listened to a random album on my walk today.  Rolled a 32 and a 2 so it was one from @simey's island.

Word of Mouth - The Kinks (1984) 

This was a new one for me and my expectations weren't high going in.  The other post-1975 Kinks albums I've listened to in the past were uneven and I always approach 80s records by classic artists with some trepidation.  But this was a really good album with a solid collection of mostly rockin' songs.  I'll add it to my Kinks rotation for sure.

Ray had just turned 40 and hasn't forgotten how to write beautiful songs.  Dave's song "Living on a Thin Line" is one of the standout tracks.   Longtime drummer Mick Avory finally had enough of the Davies brothers and left the band during recording of Word of Mouth.  He appears on about half the songs but the guy they brought in to replace him has a nice Charlie Watts vibe in his playing.

The eightiesness of the production is mostly kept in check.  There are some drum machines and synths and more reverb than usual but nothing ridiculous.  In addition to the songs Simey repped, I liked the wistful "Summer's Gone"

The Kinks had eight albums drafted which left a bunch of great ones onshore.  Preservation Act 1 has always been a personal favorite.

Back to music, I listened to a random album on my walk today.  Rolled a 32 and a 2 so it was one from @simey's island.

Word of Mouth - The Kinks (1984) 

This was a new one for me and my expectations weren't high going in.  The other post-1975 Kinks albums I've listened to in the past were uneven and I always approach 80s records by classic artists with some trepidation.  But this was a really good album with a solid collection of mostly rockin' songs.  I'll add it to my Kinks rotation for sure.

Ray had just turned 40 and hasn't forgotten how to write beautiful songs.  Dave's song "Living on a Thin Line" is one of the standout tracks.   Longtime drummer Mick Avory finally had enough of the Davies brothers and left the band during recording of Word of Mouth.  He appears on about half the songs but the guy they brought in to replace him has a nice Charlie Watts vibe in his playing.

The eightiesness of the production is mostly kept in check.  There are some drum machines and synths and more reverb than usual but nothing ridiculous.  In addition to the songs Simey repped, I liked the wistful "Summer's Gone"

The Kinks had eight albums drafted which left a bunch of great ones onshore.  Preservation Act 1 has always been a personal favorite.
He was still putting out some excellent material back in 2006 with the album Other People's Lives. Solid B+/A- material with classic Kinks' signatures peppered throughout.

I'll give you a few records I think you may like based on your apparent tastes. Not sure which ones you are already familiar with but I'll list five and you can choose a few from that list and a few on your own (or randomly):

Sister Sweetly - Big Head Todd and the Monsters

Harlem River Blues - Justin Townes Earle

$1.99 Romances (Live at Tri Studios) - God Street Wine

Between The Buttons - The Rolling Stones

Southern Rock Opera - Drive-By Truckers
I used the search function after reviewing some chicken scratch notes to see if anyone dropped a reference to Big Head Todd.

Checks out.

Arc Angels, not so lucky.

My ice-land. Serving margaritas with prune juice chasers.

zamboni-Television-Marquee Moon 1977

zamboni-Love-Forever Changes 1967

zamboni-The Band-Music From Big Pink 1968

zamboni-Queen-A Night at the Opera 1975

zamboni-Iron Maiden-The Number of the Beast 1982

zamboni-Miles Davis-#####es Brew 1970

zamboni-Chicago Transit Authority-Chicago Transit Authority 1969

zamboni-Cat Stevens-Tea For The Tillerman 1970

zamboni-King Crimson-In The Court Of The Crimson King 1969

zamboni-Moby Grape-Moby Grape 1967

zamboni-Thin Lizzy-Live & Dangerous 1978

zamboni-Def Leppard-Pyromania 1983

zamboni-Tears for Fears-The Hurting 1984

zamboni-Varied Artists-Valley Girl Soundtrack 1983

zamboni-Deep Purple-Machine Head 1972

zamboni-John Coltrane-A Love Supreme 1965

zamboni-Buffalo Springfield-Buffalo Springfield Again 1967

zamboni-Lynyrd Skynyrd-(Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd) 1973

zamboni-The Church-Starfish 1988

zamboni-Scorpions-Blackout 1982

zamboni-Simon and Garfunkel-Bookends 1968

zamboni-Rush-Hemispheres 1978

zamboni-David Gilmour-Live In Gdansk 2008

zamboni-Robin Trower-Bridge of Sighs 1974

zamboni-Hall & Oates-Abandoned Luncheonette 1973

zamboni-ABC-The Lexicon of Love 1982

zamboni-Earth, Wind & Fire-That's the Way of the World 1975

zamboni-Jefferson Airplane-Surrealistic Pillow 1967

zamboni-Booker T. And The MGs-Green Onions 1962

zamboni-Humble Pie-Performance Rockin' The Fillmore 1971

zamboni-Jimmy Cliff-Wonderful World, Beautiful People 1970

zamboni-Wishbone Ash-Argus 1972

zamboni-Midnight Oil-Diesel And Dust 1987

zamboni-Van Halen-Fair Warning 1981

zamboni-Living Colour-Vivid 1988

zamboni-Spirit-Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus 1970

zamboni-Billy Squier-Don't Say No 1981

zamboni-Robert Cray-Strong Persuader 1986

zamboni-Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, and Stephen Stills-Super Session 1968

zamboni-Ozzy Osbourne-Blizzard of Ozz 1980

zamboni-UFO-Strangers In The Night 1979

zamboni-Simply Red-Stars 1991

zamboni-Quicksilver Messenger Service-Happy Trails 1969

zamboni-Weather Report-Weather Report 1977

zamboni-Oingo Boingo-Only A Lad 1985

zamboni-The Clientele-Strange Geometry 2005

zamboni-Manassas-Manassas 1972

zamboni-The Hooters-Nervous Night 1985

zamboni-Ennio Morricone-Once Upon A Time In America (Soundtrack) 1983

zamboni-Mike Massé-Covers (Mostly Live) 2012
So many gaps in my thread knowledge.  Glad to see Midnight Oil drafted here.  Cant say for sure, bt it might have been the first CD I ever purchased,  Petty's Full Moon Fever is in the running too.

On the flipside (pun intended, I suppose), around the same time, if I had to guess at what was the last album I ever purchased, I'd go with Mason Ruffner's Gypsy Blood, which I would definitely draft if we had a do-over; a good album with two super-heavyweight tunes

Gypsy Blood

Courage

Binky The Doormat said:

I believe in education and growth and knowledge and facts and science and research and academia and study and history and the ability for those things to shape policies but to be fair I am also very much not American, so to expect those things to have meaning on a US based message board was probably my bad.

My blood brother is an immigrant
A beautiful immigrant
My blood brother's Freddie Mercury
A Nigerian mother of three

He's made of bones, he's made of blood
He's made of flesh, he's made of love
He's made of you, he's made of me
Unity!

Fear leads to panic, panic leads to pain
Pain leads to anger, anger leads to hate
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Hey, ey, ey, ey
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Hey, ey, ey, ey
Danny Nedelko

My best friend is an alien (I know him, and he is!)
My best friend is a citizen
He's strong, he's earnest, he's innocent
My blood brother is Malala
A Polish butcher, he's Mo Farah

He's made of bones, he's made of blood
He's made of flesh, he's made of love
He's made of you, he's made of me
Unity!

Fear leads to panic, panic leads to pain
Pain leads to anger, anger leads to hate
Yeah, yeah, hey, ey, ey, ey
Yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Hey, ey, ey, ey
Danny Nedelko

The D, the A, the N, the N, the Y
The N, the E, the D, the E, the L
The K, the O, the C, the O, the M
The M, the U, the N, the I, the T
The Y, the S, the O, the F, the U
The C, the K, the Y, the O and the U
And you, and you, and you, and you

Yeah, yeah, hey, ey, ey, ey
Yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Hey, ey, ey, ey
Danny Nedelko
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Hey, ey, ey, ey
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Hey, ey, ey, ey
Danny Nedelko

I believe in education and growth and knowledge and facts and science and research and academia and study and history and the ability for those things to shape policies but to be fair I am also very much not American, so to expect those things to have meaning on a US based message board was probably my bad.
Pitchfork and NV had some beers together last night :lol:

:lmao:

It doesn't get more fitting than this- I just loaded up on gin and stuff to try 5-6 different gin cocktails.   The main reason for the trip was to get stuff to make a Negroni because of the discussions with @Abrantes.   I also got stuff for a gimlet, martinis, something called a Floradora, and a couple variations of a gin and tonic.   Anyway, I also did another randomizer since I was done with NV's island, and looks like I will be visiting Abrantes island next.  I haven't looked, but I am sure it will be a lot of stuff that is new to me, so I will be trying a Negroni tonight, and probably spinning an album that is new to me too.  

In my time here, my mind has definitely changed on some issues. It wasn't entirely because of some grand argument a poster made. However, there are posters I have read here that have made me think differently about things. However, most posts are just a personal venting more than any attempt to reverse the opinions of others. 

Last edited by a moderator:
NV's friend was talking about the first half of 2020 song draft starting after the 4th of July. 
oof.  i better try to listen to a few songs from 2020 then.  

Haim was pretty good, and I really dug the Phoebe Bridgers album, but besides that and RTJ4, I can't think of much I've listened to this year.  

It doesn't get more fitting than this- I just loaded up on gin and stuff to try 5-6 different gin cocktails.   The main reason for the trip was to get stuff to make a Negroni because of the discussions with @Abrantes.   I also got stuff for a gimlet, martinis, something called a Floradora, and a couple variations of a gin and tonic.   Anyway, I also did another randomizer since I was done with NV's island, and looks like I will be visiting Abrantes island next.  I haven't looked, but I am sure it will be a lot of stuff that is new to me, so I will be trying a Negroni tonight, and probably spinning an album that is new to me too.  

:suds:  Welcome to the island, GB! Hope you dig the Negronis! I've been lax on the album listening experiment (my bad, I do plan on getting back to it), though the shuffle's been killer this past couple of days.

Tried a few gin cocktails over the last couple nights, and I guess while I like gin, I am not fond of the bitter+bitter mixed drinks.  Gin and Tonics and Negronis are a hard pass for me, but I could drink Gimlets all night, and something called a Floradora was damn tasty too.   

Tried a few gin cocktails over the last couple nights, and I guess while I like gin, I am not fond of the bitter+bitter mixed drinks.  Gin and Tonics and Negronis are a hard pass for me, but I could drink Gimlets all night, and something called a Floradora was damn tasty too.   
move on - you havent lived until you've sipped a perfect vodka gimlet thru a widow's veil

Users who are viewing this thread