What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

I feel like we've had this conversation before but it should be deserted island right?
I think the original concept was alone and incommunicado on a remote desert island. Which albums are you taking?
Yeah,  I just mean it's not that the island is a desert, it's that it's deserted (no one on it), just being pedantic. I'm a bit irritated by the discussion in here this afternoon to be honest.

...And the person who wanted only to draft non classic albums (i.e. albums not taken in the first draft) who now seems to be quitting because all the classic albums will go in the picks before their turn. 

Can't please everyone.

How about this?

If you draft a soundtrack/compilation/live album/greatest hits collection, your next pick must also be from the same category.

I don't see the big deal in taking a soundtrack. A lot of soundtracks consist of some songs that were never on proper albums, but they also can include a few songs by various artists that were on some of theirs. I'm all for soundtracks and live albums. 

I think if you are choosing the twenty albums to keep you entertained the rest of your life, you should pick whatever you want- with a lot of latitude.

Imagine we're at a huge record store that has every album ever recorded. We go through the store one at a time (for safe social distancing) picking whatever we want.To be the only music we have for the rest of our lives. If you love love love Hooked on a Feeling and all the original albums suck- then you should be able to choose the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack. 

I'm just riffing here. I really don't care what the rules are-I'll find 20 albums i love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah,  I just mean it's not that the island is a desert, it's that it's deserted (no one on it), just being pedantic. I'm a bit irritated by the discussion in here this afternoon to be honest.

...And the person who wanted only to draft non classic albums (i.e. albums not taken in the first draft) who now seems to be quitting because all the classic albums will go in the picks before their turn. 

Can't please everyone.
dude ...seriously?  

The order hasn't been determined and I volunteered to help populate the spreadsheet.  

Not the ones I have in mind.  Besides, we only have to limit them to music composed for a film.
I might let soundtracks and other compilations in, only if 51% or more previously unreleased on a previous studio album. I really don't think the Forrest Gump soundtrack or the Beatles Love or the Eagles greatest hits or Now That's What I Call Music! should be eligible here. But I'm also willing to just say no rules draft whatever you want if that's what the people want.

In the linked draft - original soundtracks were allowed, compilation soundtracks were not.
Soundtracks seem fine given that they are connected in some way to a film/TV show. Not a fan of compilations, but if they're free reign and people want to draft them, that just means more studio albums left for the rest of us while the compilation drafter faces a re-enactment of The Lottery.

My position on soundtracks or a compilation album is they are fair game as long as there is at least one new song on it that was recorded for that specific release.  Just my 2 cents.

But I am fine either way. There’s certainly a few GH albums that were essential to my teen years.

SOUNDTRACKS?

I QUIT AGAIN.
LOL. I get it because as mentioned, some sountracks are just pure compilations of great songs from the past. Others are soundtracks to say a musical containing all new original work. Some are inbetween. I think it's easier to just let people draft however they want. I might say for bands like The Beatles that have so many compilation albums, we say 1 compilation album per band/artist. If someone drafts Justin Bieber's Greatest Hits, that means The Very Best of Justin Beiber is no longer eligible. IDK, just some early morning thoughts.

LOL. I get it because as mentioned, some sountracks are just pure compilations of great songs from the past. Others are soundtracks to say a musical containing all new original work. Some are inbetween. I think it's easier to just let people draft however they want. I might say for bands like The Beatles that have so many compilation albums, we say 1 compilation album per band/artist. If someone drafts Justin Bieber's Greatest Hits, that means The Very Best of Justin Beiber is no longer eligible. IDK, just some early morning thoughts.
JUSTIN BIEBER?

:wub:

Ok...you had me at Justin. Speaking of...does the From Kelly to Justin soundtrack count?

And I'm with Cos...or whomever said to take what you dig. It's my desert-filled island, and I'll listen to whatever I want.

I wouldn't want to be forced to take soundtracks though.  No way I could resist taking Empire Records early.

anybody know a soundtrack that has that Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds' ode to trucker sex from timmy's thread on it, cuz i'd like to have that without diluting the H,JF&R sonic impact with other of their tunes.

anybody know a soundtrack that has that Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds' ode to trucker sex from timmy's thread on it, cuz i'd like to have that without diluting the H,JF&R sonic impact with other of their tunes.
This sounds like something my friend Cintra has already written. Or my other friend, Dale, for that matter.

can't believe QT hasn't worked that in somewhere yet

:shrug:

IMO, compilations should be disallowed whether or not there is some previously unreleased acoustic track, recorded in the garage, with Billy Ray Cyrus backup vocals on the album. Though, I don't like the Beatles and I hate the Beach Boys - so maybe it is better for me to want compilations in so everyone else can waste picks on those irritating bands. 

Live albums should be allowed, whether greatest hits or not, as live sound is often much different than studio sound.

Soundtracks should only be allowed if the majority is original music for that movie or TV show. In other words, the Inception soundtrack should be allowed while a Forrest Gump soundtrack should not. Something like American Gigolo *might* be allowed (I know Blondie's Call Me was written for that movie but I am not sure about the other songs).

The original took place right before my son was born.  I assume that's why I missed it.  I would love to do this one if it's not too late.
I don’t think it’s too late - you’d make 26. At some point I think there needs to be a cutoff or rounds will take five days but I guess it’s hard to slam the door on anyone. Anyway that’s all up to @Northern Voice not me.

The original took place right before my son was born.  I assume that's why I missed it.  I would love to do this one if it's not too late.
I don’t think it’s too late - you’d make 26. At some point I think there needs to be a cutoff or rounds will take five days but I guess it’s hard to slam the door on anyone. Anyway that’s all up to @Northern Voice not me.
Yeah, I'm going to leave it open for now. PIK is in for sure and so are any of the draft regulars who find this over the weekend. Realistically, we will probably deviate from the draft order and go to picks at certain times of the day at some point, I just want to try to avoid that in the early rounds. I think this will be a group that will be amazing in terms of discussion around the picks, so I don't mind if the pace is a little slower than some.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread