What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ethics Question - Commercial Surrogacy (1 Viewer)

What is your opinion on surrogacy?

• Absolutely Ok with it.

Votes: 56 63.6%
  • Ok with it.

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • Ok with it. But just barely.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • On the fence

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Not Ok with it. But just barely.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Ok with it.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Absolutely not Ok with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
matuski said:
I mean unless we are talking about factories with women laying on their backs... I'm good with it.
I could see the advantages the Baby Factory, though. A controlled environment, nurses on call, don't have to worry about the surrogate doing drugs or running away. Seems like it could be a more efficient model for the future. 👍

I could see the advantages the Baby Factory, though. A controlled environment, nurses on call, don't have to worry about the surrogate doing drugs or running away. Seems like it could be a more efficient model for the future. 👍
Wasn't this a movie?

Havent read thread but my number one concern is that the recipient changes their mind. Now we have two potential parenting units who don't want the kid.

Second concern is the surrogate has twins but the requesters only want one kid.  I don't know if they should be allowed to choose tbh.

Third concern is if there are potential birth defects or autism gene markers  or other concerns.  Whose call is it to terminate a viable pregnancy?  Can the surrogate choose to terminate their contract and the birth mother choose to keep the child?  Etc etc

Seems like it should be codified and not left to a contract because there is a compelling interest in making sure the kids are taken care or even if the potential parents haven't negotiated well. 
This is a fair point. 

I'm good with the concept, but if Congress isn't proactive to enact laws, the SCOTUS likely would get involved at some point, years down the line. It's better if Congress stepped up. 

But that tends to not happen.

One of my wife's best friend's did this about 15 years ago. They paid $60K and got twins out of it. They are healthy and happy, and it worked out great.

I just don't see any issues at all with it. Families get to have kids they otherwise wouldn't, and someone gets to make a little money for carrying those kids around for 9 months.

There's no baby selling going on at all.

My SIL had 5 miscarriages and was told finally a baby wasn't going to  happen. They used a surrogate and have an amazing daughter. Baby for sale? 

I genuinely don't see a problem with it. I imagine people who object are bringing their own prejudices about who might be getting the baby ultimately. As long as the surrogate is consenting and not in some kind of mad max fury road arrangement....

This is a fair point. 

I'm good with the concept, but if Congress isn't proactive to enact laws, the SCOTUS likely would get involved at some point, years down the line. It's better if Congress stepped up. 

But that tends to not happen.
These are generally issues of state law so the Supreme Court probably wouldn't get involved.  I believe some of the issues @bostonfred raised in his post have been litigated in state courts before.  For example, Parents Back out on Surrogate Mom With Twins and Surrogate refused to reduce triplet pregnancy.

Like anything this has the potential to be abused, but on the face of it I am OK with it.  Consenting adults each getting something from the situation.  This is absolutely not the same as "selling" children.  

Users who are viewing this thread