What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite "Simon & Garfunkel" Song (1 Viewer)

Simon & Garfunkel

• The Boxer

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • Hazy Shade Of Winter

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • The Sound Of Silence

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • 59th Street Bridge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Am A Rock

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Mrs. Robinson

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • The Only Living Boy In New York

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Scarborough Fair

• Cecilla

• Kathy's Song

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Homeward Bound

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • America

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Bridge Over Troubled Water

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
What better lyrics are there right now?

I've built walls
A fortress deep and mighty
That none may penetrate
I have no need of friendship, friendship causes pain
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor
Hiding in my room
Safe within my womb
I touch no one and no one touches me

FWIW, here is my favorite version of this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My9I8q-iJCI

P.S.  They literally blew Bridge Over Troubled Water out of the water in Central Park.  It was the best live version of any song, ever, and even Art knew it when he finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Between boxer and sound of silence for me but to me the sound of silence is their iconic work.  Tempted to go Cecilia because it brings back memories of a high school girlfriend. I've never given bridge over troubled water it's due, and seeing Garfunkel talk about it made me revisit it later but it will never overtake the boxer or sos for me. 

Hard to choose, but gun to head I’d go with  Bridge Over Troubled Water.

IMO one of the few virtually perfect songs ever written.

Fantastic poll.  Absolutely love S&G.  I could have 10 different picks given the day.  I’ll throw a vote to Kathy’s Song as I know it won’t get many votes and it’s one of my go-to whiskey drinking songs.

And a song I was writing is left undone
I don't know why I spend my time
Writing songs I can't believe
With words that tear and strain to rhyme

And so you see I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you

And as I watch the drops of rain
Weave their weary paths and die
I know that I am like the rain
There but for the grace of you go I

Coin toss depending on the day.  The Boxer is one of my all-time favorites.  Went with Bridge Over Troubled Water today.

Toss up between Mrs. Robinson and Bridge. Went with the original MILF today.

Used to really like Sounds of Silence until Pandora played it every other song on too many stations.

Little tidbit about The Graduate. Anne Bancroft who played Mrs. Robinson was only 35 at the time, Dustin Hoffman who played the younger man was 29.  In the movie you thought they were 45 and 20.

The Boxer has a very personal and emotional connection for me for reasons not important here so that will always be my number 1.

But man. When Bridge Over Troubled Water is nailed.....like they did in Central Park...... that song is more than a song. Its a testament to the beauty we are capable of.

The Boxer has a very personal and emotional connection for me for reasons not important here so that will always be my number 1.

But man. When Bridge Over Troubled Water is nailed.....like they did in Central Park...... that song is more than a song. Its a testament to the beauty we are capable of.
When I read the PSF here I always think of The Boxer.   "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"

For Emily, as otb_ said.

What a dream I had
Pressed in organdy
Clothed in crinoline of smoky Burgundy
Softer than the rain

I wandered empty streets
past the shop displays down
I heard cathedral bells
Tripping down the alley ways
As I walked on

And when you ran to me
Your cheeks flushed with the night
We walked on frosted fields
of juniper and lamplight
I held your hand

And when I awoke and felt you warm and near
I kissed your honey hair with my grateful tears
Oh I love you girl
Oh I love you

Can't believe you remembered a dumb old draft pick from years ago, @otb_lifer. I remember you dug it. Cool is...

A band with so many high quality tunes it's hard to differentiate for me. Waffled between Boxer and Only Living Boy in NY and went with the latter...but could easily come back another day/minute and take a totally different song.
Absolutely can relate.  Love so many of their songs.  After moving away from NY, I’ve found it very tough to listen to Only Living Boy without getting super nostalgic.  That was my vote for #1.

For Emily, as otb_ said.

What a dream I had
Pressed in organdy
Clothed in crinoline of smoky Burgundy
Softer than the rain

I wandered empty streets
past the shop displays down
I heard cathedral bells
Tripping down the alley ways
As I walked on

And when you ran to me
Your cheeks flushed with the night
We walked on frosted fields
of juniper and lamplight
I held your hand

And when I awoke and felt you warm and near
I kissed your honey hair with my grateful tears
Oh I love you girl
Oh I love you

Can't believe you remembered a dumb old draft pick from years ago, @otb_lifer. I remember you dug it. Cool is...
it allowed for one of my favorite tales, about my favorite ex, in our/my favorite spot - can't wait to get back there once this madness is lifted.

Lovely bunch of songs, some of em even important, but i needed The Sound of Silence. It came out when i was pulling wings off flies, having to wear Irish sweaters all the time and almost everything made me want to kill or die. This was my sanctuary.

A band with so many high quality tunes it's hard to differentiate for me. Waffled between Boxer and Only Living Boy in NY and went with the latter...but could easily come back another day/minute and take a totally different song.
what he said

Meh, I liked the album Simon made with Chevy Chase better than any of these tunes.  That "My Name is Al" song is brilliant.

Yankee23Fan said:
https://youtu.be/WrcwRt6J32o

The confidence and audacity of belting that out at max volume on the biggest stage of your career and not just hitting every note but hitting some better than you ever would in any subsequent recording. It really is an amazing performance. 

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of every glove that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains

Gotta be for me.

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of every glove that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains

Gotta be for me.
James, watching "You Only Live Twice" right now.  Interesting chapter.

zamboni said:
Hard to choose, but gun to head I’d go with  Bridge Over Troubled Water.

IMO one of the few virtually perfect songs ever written.
I’ve always thought the same. Beautiful song. Still gives me goosebumps when I listen to it, and that voice....

Well, I guess I am a Rock, since I stand alone on the vote.  I almost went with Bridge, but I consider it more a song written by Paul and performed by Art.

The only live performance that can compete with Bridge Over Troubled Water in Central Park is Bob Dylan singing Like A Rolling Stone in 1966.  The crowd booed and he just had the band play louder and sang his heart out.

El Floppo said:
A band with so many high quality tunes it's hard to differentiate for me.  could easily come back another day/minute and take a totally different song.
This

Parrothead said:
America-   love the lyrics
Also, this.

Good topic.  When we first got a CD player for our living room my parents bought some Simon & Garfunkel CD's and I was hooked.

I went with Bridge Over Troubled Water, barely over The Sound of Silence.  I really could have voted for any song on the list other than 59th Street Bridge or Cecelia, neither of which I ever really cared for.

Years ago I came across an interesting article about Bridge Over Troubled Water (see link below - warning, Mark Steyn writes a lot of political stuff, so some of the other links on his site might raise your blood pressure, depending on your views, but he definitely loves music and the linked article is nearly politics free).  The article led me to the Elvis version, which is ...interesting.  I enjoy The King's rendition, although it's probably not everyone's cup of tea.

https://www.steynonline.com/10092/bridge-over-troubled-water 

Every day's an endless stream

of cigarettes and magazines hmm

And each town looks the same to me

The movies and the factories

And every stranger's face iI see

Reminds me that I that I long to be homeward bound

And I wish I was 

< chorus>

Tonight  I'll sing my songs again

I'll play the game and pretend hmm

But all my words come back to me