What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite "Simon & Garfunkel" Song (1 Viewer)

Simon & Garfunkel

• The Boxer

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • Hazy Shade Of Winter

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • The Sound Of Silence

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • 59th Street Bridge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Am A Rock

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Mrs. Robinson

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • The Only Living Boy In New York

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Scarborough Fair

• Cecilla

• Kathy's Song

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Homeward Bound

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • America

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Bridge Over Troubled Water

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
Well, I guess I am a Rock, since I stand alone on the vote.  I almost went with Bridge, but I consider it more a song written by Paul and performed by Art.

The only live performance that can compete with Bridge Over Troubled Water in Central Park is Bob Dylan singing Like A Rolling Stone in 1966.  The crowd booed and he just had the band play louder and sang his heart out.
It's a great song (I almost picked it, too) , but there are many others.

I was a percussionist back from fifth grade, so I tended to focus on rhythms and instrumentals rather than lyrics.  When it comes to a group like S&G, I have bigly regrets about not wrapping myself in lyrics like these two put out.  

Sorry I couldn't really pick a favorite. Biggest hit for sure was BOTW. Let' say my least favorite on this group is probably Cecelia.

There were many good songs that missed the cut. how about : Leaves That Are Green; Baby Driver; April Come She Will;

El Cóndor Pasa (If I Could); and just a fun song    A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd into Submission).

How about I leave it at that, and leave you with this set list from Aug 1966.

-Anji                                                      CBS Holland
-Richard Cory
-Homeward Bound
-Leaves That Are Green
-I Am A Rock
-A Most Peculiar Man
-A Poem On The Under­ground Wall
-He Was My Brother
-The Sound Of Silence
-Anji

Impossible choice. When I was really young (like 4 or 5) I'd make my parents play the Wednesday Morning 3 AM,  and Bridge Over Troubled water albums all the time. At one point I think I had them all memorized. So I can't choose one as a favorite. Even things like Bleeker Street, Peggy-O, So Long Frank Lloyd Wright, Keep The Customer Satisfied, Song For The Asking are in consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
As great as Bridge is, it became even more powerful to me when I watched S&G's "Songs of America" special. Originally aired in 1969, but PBS re-aired it for the first time not too long ago.

It plays over various scenes of JFK, MLK and RFK, including their funeral processions: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x51647l (go to 11:57 mark). 

zamboni said:
Hard to choose, but gun to head I’d go with  Bridge Over Troubled Water.

IMO one of the few virtually perfect songs ever written.
I agree with this, and am wondering if it's crazy to think that they've written several such songs.  Ended up not even voting in the poll because I find it impossible to decide between them all. 

One of my good friends attended that concert as a pre-teen with his parents.  So jealous.
I was at the Paul Simon one in around 1989 - it was insanity for the volume of people in Central Park. We were off to the side among the trees so I couldn't see anything but they had speakers all over the place and it was such a fun event.

Users who are viewing this thread