What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

League Idea (1 Viewer)

Zyphros

Footballguy
Wanted to run a league idea by everyone and see what people might think.  Obviously I need more dynasty leagues because I don't have enough already.

The idea I had was if the roster spots were up for a draft.  For example there would be a bunch of pieces of paper with starting requirements on it (QB, WR, RB, TE) and you have a draft each year to figure out what the league will play by.  So if the league has 12 starting positions it could turn out something like QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, RB, TE, QB/WR/RB, QB/TE, WR/RB/TE, WR/TE, WR/TE, RB/TE.  The draft could come out to be so many variations of different lineups that roster construction would be important but in-season management would be key.  To fill a need that the draft told you that you needed.  

At first I'm thinking 12 team, 12 starting requirements with 30 man rosters (18 bench).  I wonder if that would be enough bench spots to successfully be able to fill holes in a weird scenario of a draft year or lets say 4QB's or something?  Just thinking out loud maybe I'd have to max the strictly QB spots and use flexes for the rest.  

Depends on the draft obviously.  I haven't figured out any details about it yet but I'm curious as to your thoughts on the idea itself.  It's a draft that tells the league what the starting requirements would be every year.  I want it to be a dynasty league, but the logistics might not add up for that to work.  

The idea I had was if the roster spots were up for a draft.  For example there would be a bunch of pieces of paper with starting requirements on it (QB, WR, RB, TE) and you have a draft each year to figure out what the league will play by.  So if the league has 12 starting positions it could turn out something like QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, RB, TE, QB/WR/RB, QB/TE, WR/RB/TE, WR/TE, WR/TE, RB/TE.  The draft could come out to be so many variations of different lineups that roster construction would be important but in-season management would be key.  To fill a need that the draft told you that you needed.  
Love that idea for a redraft!

Wanted to run a league idea by everyone and see what people might think.  Obviously I need more dynasty leagues because I don't have enough already.

At first I'm thinking 12 team, 12 starting requirements with 30 man rosters (18 bench).  I wonder if that would be enough bench spots to successfully be able to fill holes in a weird scenario of a draft year or lets say 4QB's or something?  Just thinking out loud maybe I'd have to max the strictly QB spots and use flexes for the rest.  

Depends on the draft obviously.  I haven't figured out any details about it yet but I'm curious as to your thoughts on the idea itself.  It's a draft that tells the league what the starting requirements would be every year.  I want it to be a dynasty league, but the logistics might not add up for that to work.  
I'm so confused.

The teams with the most QBs would all pick QB (or superflex) starting spots, so you'd have 3+ starting QBs most years. So it would be even more QB-crazy than ordinary superflex leagues, and the teams with just 1 starting QB on their would have a hard time competing.

Although maybe it would work if you nerfed QB scoring like I did here.

Another option is to make it a keeper league, where (e.g.) you only keep 5 players and at most 2 QBs. If you did that, you could include the "decide what the starting lineup is" picks in with the draft of players. So you'd have to forego drafting a player that round in order to get to pick a starting lineup slot, and some owners would decide 0 of the slots while others decide 2 or more of them.

@ZWK I think a random draft for the positions would work a lot better than if the players themselves were picking which position to start.  Similar to how some leagues pull names out of a hat for a draft order.  That's what I was thinking at least.  

I kind of like the idea of nerfing QB scoring though.  The top QB's in your league average around 17 points, but everyone else is 10-12.  At first I was just thinking of capping each individual position, 2 for QB's, and then the ability to start more would be flex spots.  More flex spots would seem to be required so that there's enough roster flexibility to fill spots.  I think that might produce a problem if I went majority of flexes that nobody would even want QB's.  Or just don't adjust QB scoring as much as that.  

I'm so confused.
I'll try explaining again although I do admit it's complicated.  It's pretty clear in my head ha, just not sure how it would work. 

Each year there would be 2 drafts.  One for who your players are (startup or rookie), one for your roster starting positions.  You draft all your players, then you draft the starting lineup of positions.  Year to year the starting position's would change with a new draft.  Drafting (random draw) the ability to start a QB, WR, RB, TE, or flex spot in some combination.  

You'd have to limit QBs to a max of 2 starting spots. Easy enough, though, since you could do that when setting starting lineup requirement choices.

Not sure how it would work in dynasty unless you are locked into those requirements permanently. Otherwise, you'd draft one year and your dynasty team could be screwed the next year if the starting requirements were changed. 

I agree with @PantherThunder that it sounds like a really cool idea for redraft. Each season would be a new, unique draft, which would be super fun.

@ZWK I think a random draft for the positions would work a lot better than if the players themselves were picking which position to start.  Similar to how some leagues pull names out of a hat for a draft order.  That's what I was thinking at least.  

I kind of like the idea of nerfing QB scoring though.  The top QB's in your league average around 17 points, but everyone else is 10-12.  At first I was just thinking of capping each individual position, 2 for QB's, and then the ability to start more would be flex spots.  More flex spots would seem to be required so that there's enough roster flexibility to fill spots.  I think that might produce a problem if I went majority of flexes that nobody would even want QB's.  Or just don't adjust QB scoring as much as that.  

I'll try explaining again although I do admit it's complicated.  It's pretty clear in my head ha, just not sure how it would work. 

Each year there would be 2 drafts.  One for who your players are (startup or rookie), one for your roster starting positions.  You draft all your players, then you draft the starting lineup of positions.  Year to year the starting position's would change with a new draft.  Drafting (random draw) the ability to start a QB, WR, RB, TE, or flex spot in some combination.  
In the "starting lineup draft" is it a random draw from a hat?  Or do all 12 owners select a starting lineup requirement?  Would owner A have a different starting lineup requirement throughout the season than owner B?

Why not just put the 6-8 different starting lineups possibilities in a hat and draw one each year? More suspense?

If I am understanding this correctly that would be the same end result as the 'draft' of positions, right? (I think that's the part confusing us.)

In the "starting lineup draft" is it a random draw from a hat?  Or do all 12 owners select a starting lineup requirement?  Would owner A have a different starting lineup requirement throughout the season than owner B?
My thought was to do it from a hat or random drawing of which to have (or whatever other crazy idea there would be).  I'm really just trying to gauge if it would be interesting or not to own a team of players (dynasty), with a different resulting starting configuration every year.  That is the basis of the league, if I were to make one. 

It would add a lot of elements of in season management and differing evaluations.  Maybe 1 year nobody has to start a QB, but the next year you can start 3?  One team decides to "rebuild" and keep 4-5 QB's on their roster while the teams competing now would sell QB's for other positions.  At least in theory.  Or maybe I could set the starting requirements up a year in advance so people can prepare for one year or the other?  Everyone would have the same starting lineup requirements though but it would change year after year.  

My thought was to do it from a hat or random drawing of which to have (or whatever other crazy idea there would be).  I'm really just trying to gauge if it would be interesting or not to own a team of players (dynasty), with a different resulting starting configuration every year.  That is the basis of the league, if I were to make one. 

It would add a lot of elements of in season management and differing evaluations.  Maybe 1 year nobody has to start a QB, but the next year you can start 3?  One team decides to "rebuild" and keep 4-5 QB's on their roster while the teams competing now would sell QB's for other positions.  At least in theory.  Or maybe I could set the starting requirements up a year in advance so people can prepare for one year or the other?  Everyone would have the same starting lineup requirements though but it would change year after year.  
Oh ok I thought you were suggesting that people had a say in the starting requirements. So could the same requirements be drawn 2 yrs in a row or does the 2020 piece of paper get thrown out and not back in the hat the next year. 

I think 12 would be way too many starting spots as you have in your original post (you actually list 13 but say 12). But something like 10 could work. 

For me personally it would take the fun/skill out of drafting. Imagine being on the school yard with gretzky, Mj, Tiger, Brady, etc and picking teams before you even know what sport you're playing!  Definitely ups the "luck" factor imo which I like to try to minimize a bit in fantasy. 

Oh ok I thought you were suggesting that people had a say in the starting requirements. So could the same requirements be drawn 2 yrs in a row or does the 2020 piece of paper get thrown out and not back in the hat the next year. 

I think 12 would be way too many starting spots as you have in your original post (you actually list 13 but say 12). But something like 10 could work. 

For me personally it would take the fun/skill out of drafting. Imagine being on the school yard with gretzky, Mj, Tiger, Brady, etc and picking teams before you even know what sport you're playing!  Definitely ups the "luck" factor imo which I like to try to minimize a bit in fantasy. 
That is the idea of the league and 1 year Gretzky would be super valuable, the next Tiger could be.  That's what I'm trying to balance while I figure this out.  If there's enough roster spots in general than no outlandish starting requirements should throw a team off by too much.  Maybe 2-3 moves away from filling holes.  It's like a re-draft league every year but you keep your players and the entire starting requirements change.  

I'm thinking if I start the league with 1 of every position (4 spots, 1QB 1RB 1WR 1TE) and then fill in the rest with flex options from a hat of chance.  So lets say 6 more spots to choose.  If I put 2 QB/RB/WR pieces of paper in, 6 RB/WR pieces of paper, 2 TE/RB, and 2 TE/Kicker (or something weird) pieces in then the odds should be in favor of something relatively normal.  There'd be a chance at playing 3 QB's but the chances would be low, and even if it comes out with both of those being picked, you can still start RB's or WR's if you don't have the QB's.  It would change the values of every position year by year which I think would be super fun.  

So are you saying each team has a different starting requirement or you choose the league wide starting requirement new every year?   If each team had a different starting requirement you would really need to come up with a scoring system that made every position equal across tiers.  Otherwise some teams will get significantly screwed if they had to start the lower scoring positions while their opponent did not.

I have been kicking around the idea of having an experimental league where we just try various things throughout the year.  Some of the ideas are that we change starting lineup requirements weekly.  So one week you start no QB's.  The next week no RB's, the next week only WR's.  It's random so you don't know until it happens.  Other ideas are having a steal a player a week (you win you take a player off the team you beat for one of your players).  The purpose of the league is to try out a lot of different things to see if we could discover a "keeper" rule that would be different. 

But then if everyone is the same value, this is a whole lot of complication for nothing

in that case just make everyone flex, start 9 guys regardless of position, and go nuts
If you didn't have that then some lineups would be drastically at a disadvantage.  If QB's scored 15% more than RB's who scored 10% more than WR's who scored 10% more than TE's...etc then the team that gets to play 4 QB's 2RB, 1 WR, and 0 TE's will have a drastic advantage over the team stuck with 4 TE's and 1 QB. 

ETA:  If each position scored similar by tier then you still need to draft quality players across each position to gain an advantage.  You won't just get the advantage because you get to play more of a position that typically scores more points. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's the point of drafting your starting lineup. 

Overall I dont like this idea, as its confusing as all heck and I dont know how anyone could build a reasonable team without potentially getting screwed big time by luck of the draw drafting their positions last... just seems like a recipe for keeping the bad teams bad forever without any way out. 

However, if everyone is equal you dont need positions. You still need to draft good players, sure, but it doesn't matter if that player is QB1 or RB1... they score the same, so it's no advantage. 

Maybe I'm confused, which is very possible because this is a complicated league. I think we agree that there cant be one position that is such at an advantage as another
Realistically, I prefer leagues where all positions score as close to the same as possible across tiers.  That way you can build your team in multiple ways.  This is especially true in IDP leagues.  Positions still matter but it gives you flexibility to build your team in various ways.   Especially since tiers may be smaller/bigger in various positions. 

So are you saying each team has a different starting requirement or you choose the league wide starting requirement new every year?   If each team had a different starting requirement you would really need to come up with a scoring system that made every position equal across tiers.  Otherwise some teams will get significantly screwed if they had to start the lower scoring positions while their opponent did not.

I have been kicking around the idea of having an experimental league where we just try various things throughout the year.  Some of the ideas are that we change starting lineup requirements weekly.  So one week you start no QB's.  The next week no RB's, the next week only WR's.  It's random so you don't know until it happens.  Other ideas are having a steal a player a week (you win you take a player off the team you beat for one of your players).  The purpose of the league is to try out a lot of different things to see if we could discover a "keeper" rule that would be different. 
League wide universal starting requirements is what I had in mind initially which would change every year in a secondary draft.  Each team would have the same starting position options for ~10-12 spots.  

I've always wanted a unique league like you mentioned with "weird" rules or something, but the logistics are a nightmare for those types of things.  For this one, the logistics are just a nightmare for a draft, and then boom the league begins.  No headache mid-season, just setting up a lineup and building a team.  

Users who are viewing this thread