What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest Mistakes in Human History (1 Viewer)

H Jass

Footballguy
@boots11234's claim that public health response to Covid-19 will go down as The biggest mistake in the history of human civilization got me thinking.  As a true nerd and lover of history, I may disagree somewhat with that claim, BUT I thought for a few other folks it could be an interesting topic.  And probably funny too.  Or not....who knows?  Maybe this thread will end up at the top of this list.  :(

What say you?

1.  Covid-19 response?  Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade?  New Coke?  Og the First's Rejection of the Interstellar Peace and Infinite Energy Protocols from the Galaxy Elders at Goblecki Tepe? :tinfoilhat:

Not shutting Hitler down sooner seems like it ought to have a place on this list. 

Terrorists;

Allowing N. Korea and similar regimes to still exist;

Not figuring out peace in the Middle East;

Nuclear reactor melt down in Japan;

Covid 19 = stuck between a rock and a hard place, at least IMHO

Not really mistakes, but would humankind be better off with:

- One language
- One form of currency
- One religion (or none, take your pick)
- No borders
- Smoking weed is mandatory
Sure. Just as soon as we know what's right.

Hmm. I’m much more well versed in modern history than I am in ancient or Middle Ages, so I’ll stick to that. Two items come to mind instantly: 

1. The decision by the German people to ignore the facts and blame their defeat in World War I to “a stab in the back” by Jews and social Democrats. This led directly to Hitler and the Second World War. 

2. The decision by the left, both in this country and the world over, to romanticize Communism, to distinguish it from other great political evils by claiming it has “noble goals”. 

Compared to these two errors in judgment, the decision to shelter in place (which I don’t think is a mistake at all, frankly) isn’t in the same ballpark. 

No backup file of Library of Alexandria?
The fire destroying the great ancient library is a myth. It mostly fell apart as Rome did- lost funding and interest. One of the many signs of the decline of the empire. 

I don’t equate evil and mistakes. Slavery, the holocaust were evil. This Covid response will go down as the biggest mistake we’ve ever made. As I said more will die and subject to a life of misery than the virus would have caused. 
Good point though the line can be difficult to draw. Was invading Iraq or the Vietnam War evil or a mistake?

Hmm. I’m much more well versed in modern history than I am in ancient or Middle Ages, so I’ll stick to that. Two items come to mind instantly: 

1. The decision by the German people to ignore the facts and blame their defeat in World War I to “a stab in the back” by Jews and social Democrats. This led directly to Hitler and the Second World War. 

2. The decision by the left, both in this country and the world over, to romanticize Communism, to distinguish it from other great political evils by claiming it has “noble goals”. 

Compared to these two errors in judgment, the decision to shelter in place (which I don’t think is a mistake at all, frankly) isn’t in the same ballpark. 
Romanticizing communism? I know we are drifting into a different forum here, but it has never been my experience that anything outside of the smallest fringe of super extreme lefties have a rosy view of communism.

Not shutting Hitler down sooner seems like it ought to have a place on this list.  Great call there, definitely a major tactical mistake by Western Europe

Terrorists; Not sure that's a mistake. Like saying drug dealers or gang members or serial killers. 

Allowing N. Korea and similar regimes to still exist;  I look at our attempts in places like Iraq, Vietnam and North Korea and think that it's a lose-lose situation more than a mistake

Not figuring out peace in the Middle East; If you try to teach your 10 year old Calculus and they can't solve any of the problems, is that due to their mistakes? 

Nuclear reactor melt down in Japan; Yep- add Cherynobyl to this list 

Covid 19 = stuck between a rock and a hard place, at least IMHO

I don’t equate evil and mistakes. Slavery, the holocaust were evil. This Covid response will go down as the biggest mistake we’ve ever made. As I said more will die and subject to a life of misery than the virus would have caused. 
How about just telling us what was #1 on the list before this current biggest mistake ever?

The fire destroying the great ancient library is a myth. It mostly fell apart as Rome did- lost funding and interest. One of the many signs of the decline of the empire. 
Didn't know the exact fact there. 

5.  Loss of funding for the Library at Alexandria

Failure to address global warming is my serious answer.  We aren't quite at the point of this being an existential threat but it's closer than we should ever have allowed it to get and it will be our greatest shame to future generations that we knew about it and still allowed this to happen, 

Covid 19 social isolation, not a mistake.  Claiming only 15 people have it and it will soon be 0, would be.

Some mistakes in History cause it is in interesting topic

• Cherynobyl 
  • Mexico facination with the Alamo loses them Texas 
  • Franz Ferdinand’s assassination
  • Open gate at Constantinople leads to fall of Rome
  • Invade Russia in winter (Hilter and Napoleon)
  • Battle of Karansebes in 1788
  • Defense of Shao fotress in 260BC by Shao Kuo 
  • Operation Bagration (1944)
  • Battle of Inchon (1950)
But this game is lame because the premise is faulty  

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't know the exact fact there. 

5.  Loss of funding for the Library at Alexandria
There was a fire potentially cause by Julius Caeser but from all accounts, it was rebuilt and the library continued to function. The biggest issues were a general anti-knowledge attitude that became prevalent, the purging of scholars, loss of funding, etc. The loss of the library was more of a symptom than a cause. 

And it is still going on today.
Certainly is. Not to the scale or acceptance that it was but certainly still a problem. I am not even sure if there has been a single problem man has had that it has actually been able to fix. We have so much food that we are throwing it out by the tons but we still have people starving. We made changes that allowed the hole in the ozone to heal but now we have screwed it up again and the holes are growing. 

Failure to address global warming is my serious answer.  We aren't quite at the point of this being an existential threat but it's closer than we should ever have allowed it to get and it will be our greatest shame to future generations that we knew about it and still allowed this to happen, 
The beginning of America becoming a willfully stoopit country was not going for energy independence as a response to the 70s oil crisis. We were responding to the damage we'd done to the environment - reclaiming rivers and atmospheres - and there we could have forged the template for emerging nations to follow. But the shareholder in us took over from the citizen instead, as the customer has overtaken the citizen now. Decade after decade of watching so much fuss and so little change has been one of the great frustrations of my lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread