What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tyson Comeback - to fight Roy Jones Jr Sept 12th (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
MIKE TYSON NEW TRAINING VIDEO IS INSANELY VIOLENT... 'I'm Back'

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/11/mike-tyson-new-training-video-violent-boxing-evander-holyfield/

MORE MIKE TYSON TRAINING VIDEO -- AND GOOD LORD, HE'S GONNA MURDER SOMEBODY!!

The 53-year-old legend just dropped some brand new training footage after that 5-second teaser last week ... and it's scary good.

After throwing multiple ferocious combos -- and putting his trainer through hell -- Iron Mike looks at the camera and declares, "I'm back."

It's the same two words Evander Holyfield says in his comeback video, which he just dropped last week.

As we previously reported, both Mike and Holyfield are interested in getting back in the ring to raise money for charities through exhibition fights.

We spoke with Holyfield about a possible 3rd clash with Tyson -- the man who bit off his ear in 1997 -- and he told us he's down.

Now, the question is ... when can we get this 3rd fight going -- and how much money his at stake?!

We know Tyson has been getting multimillion-dollar offers from multiple organizations and promoters ... but ya gotta think the biggest payday could come by way of a Tyson vs. Holyfield III.

For the record, Holyfield won BOTH of their previous fights -- but the way Tyson looks now ... yeesh!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/us/mike-tyson-spt-trnd/index.html

In a pair of training videos posted on his Instagram page, Mike Tyson, 53, showed off his agility and power as he hit the pads with a trainer and declares "Im back" at the end of the second video.

It may not be over yet," Tyson said in a Facebook livestream. "Anything's possible. I feel unstoppable now. The gods of war have reawakened me, ignited my ego and want me to go to war again. I feel like I'm [young] again.

The former world heavyweight boxing champion is training again with plans to climb back into the ring to raise money for charities.

"I've been working out, I've been trying to get in the ring, I think I'm going to box some exhibitions and get in shape," Tyson said during a chat with rapper T.I. on Instagram. "I want to go to the gym and get in shape to be able to box three- or four-round exhibitions for some charities and stuff."

Once known as "the baddest man on the planet," Tyson looks just as fast and ferocious as he did in his heyday. In his prime, Tyson was arguably the most intimidating heavyweight boxer to climb into a ring, with 44 of his 50 victories by knockout.

Tyson's last professional fight came in 2005 in a loss to Kevin McBride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Tyson offered $20 million to fight in bare knuckle boxing promotion, report says

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/mike-tyson-offered-20-million-to-fight-in-bare-knuckle-boxing-promotion-report-says/

The line of suitors interested in hosting Mike Tyson's presumed return to boxing continues to grow as now an actual professional fighting organization has thrown eight figures on the table. David Feldman, president of Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship -- a bare-knuckle boxing promotion based out of Philadelphia -- has reportedly offered Tyson a $20 million-per-fight deal, according to Heavy.com.

Tyson would not only get that comically large sum for every fight he participates in, but he'd also have the right to choose his opponent from those currently on the BKFC roster.

While we did make a guaranteed offer of $20 million for Mike [Tyson] to fight for BKFC, we're open to many different options as to how we can work together. Obviously, the excitement of seeing Mike's video showing himself training and desire to participate in exhibitions inspired us to reach out and make the offer." Feldman told Heavy.com.

A senior boxing circuit would be amazing (and wildly dangerous). 

The father of HW champ Tyson Fury has officially challenged Iron Mike. When it comes to the Fury family, let’s just say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

link to the video challenge

The whole "if he dies, he dies" will definitely be relevant if some of these older fighters get back in the ring.
Yeah, Tyson Fury's dad mentions in his challenge to Iron Mike that he is willing to die in the fight. 

• Looks good in 10 second clip 
  • Hasnt fought in 15 years
  • is 53 years old
  • Lost 3 of his last 4 fights...when he was in his 30s
Unless they put him in against a tomato can, I'll take the other guy. 

• is 53 years old
If the other dude is north of 40 years old I’ll take Tyson. If it’s a young guy I’ll take the other guy. 

• is 53 years old
He'd get to hand pick his opponent from guys in the BNFC if he signs with them.

Heard an interview with the BNFC guy the other day...Tysons camp declined the 20 million, but he said they're working on a bigger better offer.

1) I'd be skeptical of BKFC being able to raise that kind of money.

2) Assuming it's going to be against another older fighter, it isn't a big deal. Older guys against decent fighters in their prime is a whole different ball of wax, find the video of B-Hop's last fight against Joe Smith when he was 50.

3) Glove size is an important factor. That said, no Commission worth their salt (and many of them are not worth any salt) is going to clear Holyfield to fight. He's clearly been compromised by his boxing career.

I am hearing Evander Holyfield for a rematch. I'd keep an ear out for news on that.
He wanted to do it for charity...Tyson wants to get paid. It would seem he is doing better financially with his investments in Vegas but I believe he was flat broke at a couple points and when they had him appear in The Hangover, he needed the money and seemed like that movie sparked a renewed interest in him. 

-You got me 😂

A Tyson comeback would be the only thing that would make heavy weight boxing relivant again.

Otherwise, no one is looking away from UFC.

• is 53 years old
One of those losses he finished with a torn ACL after dominating early. I don;t think he was knocked out, he just couldn't get up. 

Ill take a hungry Tyson over anyone.... ever. Ive always contended that if you let Tyson wail on Ali like Frazier did Ali would have never gotten up. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Boxing still makes BOATLOADS more than UFC. I couldn't believe it either. 
So SOMEbody is watching heavy weight boxing ..

just not me. Or anyone else in my family. Or anyone that I work with. Or anyone else that I know.

But we all talk about UFC ... go figure.

just not me. Or anyone else in my family. Or anyone that I work with. Or anyone else that I know.

The Heavyweight division is the best its been since the late 90s.

I know two people who watch UFC. I know dozens of people not including my family who still get together to watch boxing. Most people have a pretty low opinion of UFC and their fans. There is a reason Conor agreed to get his ### kicked by Floyd Mayweather. Between the two they earned between 300-400 million. 

Also, young people aren't sports fans like older folks. 

Boxers make more. The UFC, which is currently the subject of an antitrust lawsuit, effectively controls the sport. I think fighters get about 20% of the revenue, whereas in boxing (and most major team sports) they're in the neighborhood of 50%.

The HW division in boxing waxes and wanes, but it's pretty good right now. I went to a BWW for Fury/Wilder and it was packed and people were into it. :shrug:

As an example, Henry Cejudo, the UFC champ at 135 lbs, just got paid $350k to defend his title last weekend, I believe. He got into a Twitter spat with Ryan Garcia, a well-regarded prospect with Golden Boy who is selling tickets and is very good, but is still a couple years off from fighting for a title. Garcia's last fight he made half a million, and I think he signed a new contract that will pay him more. He's easily the most highly-paid prospect in boxing, but to still make more than reigning champs in the UFC is kind of wild.

Watching two old dudes fight as almost as bad as watching an old dude and old lady do you know what.  Slow and painful.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Ill take a hungry Tyson over anyone.... ever. Ive always contended that if you let Tyson wail on Ali like Frazier did Ali would have never gotten up. 
So which of his six losses was he not hungry? Pretty convenient excuse. Douglas was the first guy that showed no fear of Tyson and we know how that ended. Of course, Holyfield frustrated Tyson in both of their contests to the point he bit him twice. He knew he no longer had the skills to win. 

As an example, Henry Cejudo, the UFC champ at 135 lbs, just got paid $350k to defend his title last weekend, I believe. He got into a Twitter spat with Ryan Garcia, a well-regarded prospect with Golden Boy who is selling tickets and is very good, but is still a couple years off from fighting for a title. Garcia's last fight he made half a million, and I think he signed a new contract that will pay him more. He's easily the most highly-paid prospect in boxing, but to still make more than reigning champs in the UFC is kind of wild.
Not really. Take a look at what Brock Lesnar earned per fight. You're cherry picking. 

Not really. Take a look at what Brock Lesnar earned per fight. You're cherry picking. 
I'm seeing $7mm, all told? As far as heavyweights go, Wilder and Fury both cleared $25mm for their last fight. In the second Joshua/Ruiz fight, Joshua made $50-60mm, and Ruiz made about $10mm. Even for their first fight, Ruiz made something like $7mm.

About 20% of revenue goes to UFC salaries. It's way higher in other sports. Here's a link if yr interested: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/8/27/20835161/fighter-pay-details-revealed-during-mondays-ufc-antitrust-hearing-mma-news

https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/23/mike-tyson-fighting-roy-jones-jr-boxing-comeback-exhibition-triller/

MIKE TYSON JUST BOOKED HIS FIRST COMEBACK FIGHT -- AND IT'S AGAINST ROY JONES JR.!!

The 54-year-old boxing legend has been training his ### off to get back in the ring ... and now, we've learned his first opponent is one of the greatest fighters EVER!

"Iron" Mike will take on Roy Jones Jr. on Sept. 12 in an 8-round exhibition being called Frontline Battle -- available on Pay-per-view and on the social media platform, Triller.

We're told the fight will take place in California -- and will be sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission.

We've also learned Triller locked up the rights to a 10-part docuseries featuring Mike and Roy preparing for their fight ... with 2 episodes dropping every week until fight night, streaming on the platform.

As for the combatants, RJJ is 51 -- and held titles in 4 different weight classes ... middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight.

Roy most recently fought in Feb. 2018 -- but he's been training constantly and feels he can compete with Tyson.

Of course, Tyson hasn't had a pro fight since June 2005 ... and battled substance abuse and weight issues after he stepped away.

RJJ has had 75 pro fights -- with an unreal 66-9 record. He's got victories over guys like Antonio Tarver, Felix Trinidad, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins and Vinny Paz.

Tyson was 50-6 as a pro -- with victories over guys like Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks, Trevor Berbick and more.

Capella said:
Will 100% watch a Tyson fight. 
The fight has 2 outcomes:

A. It's boring, sloppy mess with both guys completely gassed by round 7

B. Roy Jones Jr is unconscious by round 3. You know if there is anything Mike can still do, it's punch hard. The last decade or so of Roy's career has been him thinking he still was as quick and slick as he was in 90s and getting brutally KO'd for it. He really should not take this fight. 

B. Roy Jones Jr is unconscious by round 3. You know if there is anything Mike can still do, it's punch hard. The last decade or so of Roy's career has been him thinking he still was as quick and slick as he was in 90s and getting brutally KO'd for it. He really should not take this fight. 
You are missing a likely option. The fight ends because of attempted cannibalism. 

I think a+b is a distinct possibility too.

B. Roy Jones Jr is unconscious by round 3. You know if there is anything Mike can still do, it's punch hard. The last decade or so of Roy's career has been him thinking he still was as quick and slick as he was in 90s and getting brutally KO'd for it. He really should not take this fight
I'll guess there are about 15 million reasons that Roy Jones WILL take this fight.

He can dance around and clinch for 2 or 3 rounds ... then he'll take a dive.

or...

C.  The fight has an intermission at 4pm because the early-bird special starts at the local Sherri's restaraunt.  After eating too much pie, both fighters agree to resume the fight the following day when the blood sugar levels are back in the green.

And yes.  I'd still likely watch this event.

Users who are viewing this thread