What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rights Regarding Tracking A Company Car (1 Viewer)

That they didn't tell him they were doing.  That they pimped as a perk.  It's not any more.  It's creepy spying at that point.  If he had known in advance, he could have negotiated a compensation deal where he used his own car.
He still can 

It seems cut and dry for the homeless issue as well.  If you want subsidized housing then you aren't allowed alcohol in the facility.  If that is an issue then don't take up the offer of subsidized housing.  Nobody is forcing it.  It is a choice.
It goes to the ridiculous notion that being poor is a moral failing.  Also, enforcing that is going to be intrusive on so many levels.  And having a beer after work is not illegal.

And everybody says it was a secret like he accidentally found out.

They informed their employees they were doing it,  albeit to late.

I'm half giving steady schtick hard time but as some one who worked deliveries and mileage tracking apps I am :shrug:

It goes to the ridiculous notion that being poor is a moral failing.  Also, enforcing that is going to be intrusive on so many levels.  And having a beer after work is not illegal.
I disagree.  There are many things in this world that have restrictions and you have to decide what works best for you.  It isn't a moral failing necessarily.  

Having no alcohol has other benefits such as lower insurance costs for the facility which is related due to the subsidized costs.  That is just one example.

LOL at "creepy spying".  Its just dumping records of their property's whereabouts (and probably some other data like speed and braking habits) into a numbered file that will almost certainly never even be looked at. It's not like there's a "where SteadyMobin goes every night" folder that management reviews at a meeting the following morning).

They'll probably review speed and braking data if there's an accident (or maybe just multiple accidents) but considering they're paying for his car and his insurance, I think they're well within their rights to do so.

The things that bother some people.......especially when you consider that due to our phones, there is basically already a record of where we are 24/7. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
Can't see why anyone would have a problem with this. They explicitly gave permission to use the car for personal business, so its not like they can slap your hand for driving it after hours. And since they're providing the insurance (commercial insurance generally covers cars, not drivers) 24/7  its perfectly reasonable that they get data on driving patterns and behaviors.  (so And yeah, their carrier is probably providing them with a pretty nice discount for doing so.  I guess I'd be a tad annoyed if I came in a Monday and my boss scolded me for going 70 in a 55 over the weekend, but I'd get over it pretty quick.

I guess we all have stuff that we get hung up on, but I cant imagine how this would ever be a reason to leave a job that you otherwise like. :shrug:
Right, the bold is the only issue I could see with it. 

And we both said that.

But they told him two months after they gave him that stuff.
I find it unreasonable for him to conclude that they weren't to some disagree. Or, put differently, I don't think he had a reasonable expectation of privacy even off hours for them wanting to know where company property it. 

Even if you did go to a hookers and blow party, unless they set up a notification for people that went to the hooker and blow emporium, I doubt they would even know. 
Or, has been stated, be actively checking to see if you are. 

It's an interesting question.

Some of you know I do a fair bit of work with the Homeless community in Knoxville, where I live.

One of the initiatives was a program to allow homeless people to qualify for permanent housing apartments with a drastically reduced rent rate. 

One of the conditions the city wanted was to prohibit the (other wise legal) possession of alcohol by people in the apartments. The logic was, alcohol abuse is a problem for homeless people. If the city is going to subsidize the rent for them, they wanted to not allow alcohol in the apartments. 

I remember being torn on that as one side, I can see it making sense. On the other side, I remember thinking these people had done nothing wrong, and many had NOT abused alcohol, so why should they have to comply with the city's desire to not allow alcohol for anyone. Those kinds of things get complicated. 

I'll start a poll on that one. 
I have zero issue with this.   We all make choices.  You want super cheap/free housing.  No booze allowed.

Why is that “no smoking” is ok in city buildings?  Same deal. It’s their prerogative to set the rules, in their buildings.

Costco and the mask policy, don’t like it?  Go somewhere else.  They aren’t infringing on anyone’s “rights”, they are setting a policy for their business. You have to wear shoes and a shirt too. You know the saying...No dice. :)  

I have a company provided vehicle (available for personal use, but I'm taxed on the personal miles), and a company provided phone.  Last year, they put an app on our phones that tracks our driving - accelerations/braking/speed, and # of phone manipulations while driving.  If you make or take a call while moving, it knows and logs it.  I have no issue with it.  They told us up front they were doing it, but it wasn't negotiable at all unless you were willing to give your vehicle back, and if you had opted out of the company provided phone as some folks had, they now issued you one with the app installed to be used in the vehicle.  

I truly do not believe that it is logging where I drive, it's just looking at how I drove to get there. I've made midnight out of town runs, I've not driven it for a week straight, I've gone to places without telling anyone that are way outside of my normal work territory, and heard nothing but crickets.  Its a safety feature only IMO, they probably get a discount on the insurance, and they have something mining data so they can say "28% of you have a hard braking problem, so let's focus on that next Q"....nothing more 

I forgot the audience I was speaking to. I’m looking forward to seeing your tears when Trump wins again and I don’t even like the dude.
yep all of these super liberal business owners who care about company property really chap my you know what too take that to the bank bromigo

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
I’m outraged And all tracking and monitoring whether it’s work related or not this isnt exclusive to my job this is Alexis in your house,  this is when you get in your car your GPS telling you where you’re going before you’ve even figured it out

at all tracking and monitoring whether it’s work related or not this is an exclusive to my job this is Alex is in your house this is when you get in your car your GPS telling you where you’re going before you’ve even figured it out. 

I get it, you guys are more than happy to give up your liberties and freedoms because it’s convenient for you. I think youre absolute morons and I’m sure you think the same of me. It’s cool it’s a matter of what you believe in.

Excuse the grammar and the misspellings. Are used voice to text because I’m eating my lunch and I really don’t feel like reading the responses that are totally cool with the big brother invading your entire life.Don’t have much to say to you people and we fundamentally disagree at our core
Your company is going to be able to tell you went to anger management now

Question for all 

Are you required to turn in a mileage log with your company car so that they can tax the personal miles?  Do you think the IRS could request the tracking data from the employee to validate the mileage log to see if you are trying to avoid paying taxes?  Maybe the log shows a 200 mile business trip to Atlanta, but the tracking data doesn’t show that trip. Could this open you up to an audit?

I have no problem with the company tracking their property, but telling him months after they started is lame.  That really should be something that should have been announced when they started it.  If they are doing it to save on insurance, in case they need it, etc. then announcing when it would start wouldn't be a problem.  

It is their property and I would be ok with it, but I'd feel some type of way if it was announced months/weeks after it started.  Transparency in these type of situations goes a long way.

Joe edit - I fixed the title to reflect the thread. Please don't change it. You're welcome to stop contributing to it, but once a thread is in the forum and has comments, it's no longer only your thread.

Just so everyone is clear, I politely asked @Joe 8ryant and his mods to delete this thread. It has nothing to do with the large majority of people disagreeing with me. This is something that they have never had even the slightest problem with in the past.

Fair enough, just like it isn't my personal car, I should know that this isn't my personal board. Thats my fault, I guess. It sure has felt like home for what, 15 plus years? I gotta be honest, I'm more blindsided by you denying my request than work telling everyone theyve been tracking them for two months without our knowledge. 

Seems wrong to me. It's your board and I can't be mad I guess. Not being a smart aleck when I say this, thank you tolerating me over the years, I haven't always been the model citizen. THis isn't a threat, and frankyl not many are going to miss me too badly, Im no EvilGrin72 or McGarnicle or the countless other awesome posters of the years but I don't think I can stay here anymore after this. 

Love you guys. 

Just so everyone is clear, I politely asked @Joe 8ryant and his mods to delete this thread. It has nothing to do with the large majority of people disagreeing with me. This is something that they have never had even the slightest problem with in the past.

Fair enough, just like it isn't my personal car, I should know that this isn't my personal board. Thats my fault, I guess. It sure has felt like home for what, 15 plus years? I gotta be honest, I'm more blindsided by you denying my request than work telling everyone theyve been tracking them for two months without our knowledge. 

Seems wrong to me. It's your board and I can't be mad I guess. Not being a smart aleck when I say this, thank you tolerating me over the years, I haven't always been the model citizen. THis isn't a threat, and frankyl not many are going to miss me too badly, Im no EvilGrin72 or McGarnicle or the countless other awesome posters of the years but I don't think I can stay here anymore after this. 

Love you guys. 
You can politely ask yourself since you're able to delete any thread you start.  Maybe that's why?

P.S.--If you're still here, that is.

Just to make sure that I understand right. Dude started a thread--didn't like that most people didn't share his point of view.  He then goes on a rant and needlessly politicizes something that is not political at all for no apparent reason.   After that--he asks moderators to delete a thread that he can easily delete himself--and then decides to leave the boards permanently?   That's strange to say the least.   Just seems weird to start a thread where you are inviting discussion--and then going off the rails when you don't like what most are saying in that discussion.  He wasn't looking for conversation--he was looking for validation. 

Just to make sure that I understand right. Dude started a thread--didn't like that most people didn't share his point of view.  He then goes on a rant and needlessly politicizes something that is not political at all for no apparent reason.   After that--he asks moderators to delete a thread that he can easily delete himself--and then decides to leave the boards permanently?   That's strange to say the least.   Just seems weird to start a thread where you are inviting discussion--and then going off the rails when you don't like what most are saying in that discussion.  He wasn't looking for conversation--he was looking for validation. 
My link

Mostly true and all fair criticism. 

I pretty much lost my mind when this all happened. I handled it poorly. I apologize, especially to @Joe Bryant. I got all bent out of shape. 

I had a wonderful job that was both flexible and rewarding. It was expected that you produce but we didn’t have set hours and could work remotely as much as we pleased. We were all doing well and producing. 

Then the tracking came.....

We were never told anything by our immediate boss about how many hours we were expected to be on the road. Our senior VP literally stated: “Look guys, the tracking isn’t to busy anyone’s balls, we just don’t want anyone sitting home for half the day every day.” It was suggested that everyone should be on the road no later than 9:00-10:00AM. (Our hours are 8:30-4:15).

The following week the VP starts calling people at 9:00 AM asking them why they haven’t left their house yet. 
Friday of that week we are all scolded, told we are on the hot seat and told that it is expected that we are all in our cars for the entire 8 hours, no exceptions.

On top of the tracking they now wanted daily reports of the names and addresses of everyone we speak with so that our reports can be validated with what the tracking report spits out. We have weekly call-in updates to discuss what we’ve done since last week, which is all documented (and validated  :grad: ) in our daily reports!!!!! 

That Friday he tells my brother in law that he may need to terminate people and I am one of them! This obviously upset my BIL and he suggested that something is wrong, that it’s well known that I am a hard worker and that a meeting should be called and everyone brought in to discuss. 

YES!!!!! Finally!!! PLEASE CALL THIS MEETING!!

But nooooooo, Monday our boss calls my BIL and backs off his comments and says that a meeting won’t be necessary. 

So that’s why I lost my ####. A few years ago I left a great job and company because of a new awful boss/poor leader (who was let go after I left) to a great job that was flexible. Then this job went to crap.

Lol, they won’t even give us WiFi in our cars. We all have to use our phone hotspot for our laptops!!!! So now I’m a traveling salesman who lives out of a mobile office which is a crappy Chevy Malibu!!!!!!!!

Needless to say production is way down and moral is low. 

I pretty much lost my mind when this all happened. I handled it poorly. I apologize, especially to @Joe Bryant. I got all bent out of shape. 

I had a wonderful job that was both flexible and rewarding. It was expected that you produce but we didn’t have set hours and could work remotely as much as we pleased. We were all doing well and producing. 

We were never told anything by our immediate boss about how many hours we were expected to be on the road. Our senior VP literally stated: “Look guys, the tracking isn’t to busy anyone’s balls, we just don’t want anyone sitting home for half the day every day.” It was suggested that everyone should be on the road no later than 9:00-10:00AM. (Our hours are 8:30-4:15).

The following week the VP starts calling people at 9:00 AM asking them why they haven’t left their house yet. 
Friday of that week we are all scolded, told we are on the hot seat and told that it is expected that we are all in our cars for the entire 8 hours, no exceptions.

On top of the tracking they now wanted daily reports of the names and addresses of everyone we speak with so that our reports can be validated with what the tracking report spits out. We have weekly call-in updates to discuss what we’ve done since last week, which is all documented (and validated  :grad: ) in our daily reports!!!!! 

That Friday he tells my brother in law that he may need to terminate people and I am one of them! This obviously upset my BIL and he suggested that something is wrong, that it’s well known that I am a hard worker and that a meeting should be called and everyone brought in to discuss. 

But nooooooo, Monday our boss calls my BIL and backs off his comments and says that a meeting won’t be necessary. 

So that’s why I lost my ####. A few years ago I left a great job and company because of a new awful boss/poor leader (who was let go after I left) to a great job that was flexible. Then this job went to crap.

Lol, they won’t even give us WiFi in our cars. We all have to use our phone hotspot for our laptops!!!! So now I’m a traveling salesman who loves out of a mobile office which is a crappy Chevy Malibu!!!!!!!!

Hang in there GB. 

In my experience with being tracked (through phone or car or whatever)... they really don't bother as long as you are being productive.

When you aren't being productive it very quickly becomes a focus and a tool used against you.

eta - just read the rest of the thread.  That sucks mobbin.

Lol, they won’t even give us WiFi in our cars. We all have to use our phone hotspot for our laptops!!!! So now I’m a traveling salesman who lives out of a mobile office which is a crappy Chevy Malibu!!!!!!!!

I hope my post didn't come across as me railing on you or making a personal attack on you.  Just felt like there might have been something more going on behind the scenes and your post today sheds some clarity to why things went down the way they did.  I'm sure it wasn't easy for you to put that out there for everybody to see--so I definitely respect that.  I also wish you the best of luck moving forward.  I'm certainly not any sort of motivational speaker--but I do know that businesses love results and productivity.  If they are more worried about squeezing a certain number of hours out of you more than they are how much business you bring them--they don't deserve you.  

So it went from being a problem that with them monitoring your personal time to being a problem with them monitoring your work time and validating your work efforts.  The gall these dang employers have, expecting people to give full effort. 

If you are not trying to pick up tail  the Malibu is a smooth riding vehicle. 

So it went from being a problem that with them monitoring your personal time to being a problem with them monitoring your work time and validating your work efforts.  The gall these dang employers have, expecting people to give full effort. 
On the personal time thing- well he clearly monitors peoples off time because he’s made comments on it. It’s a company vehicle “that’s available for personal use”. It is encouraged to be used for your family. Hell if I’ll ever use it for personal use. It sits when I’m not working. Besides, lol at me wanting to spend more than 8 hours in it!

On the monitoring everyone’s work time with an iron fist- Hey man, if you think that’s how it’s done than more power to you. As a former superintendent of construction who was in charge of upwards of a hundred people, I strongly disagree. 

If you can’t trust someone they should be fired on the spot. If not, you nurture, lead by example, and never ever ask your workforce to do something you are unwilling to do yourself. You dont push, you pull. 

There were workers under me who may not always agree and may not even like me, but they all respected me and many of  my best workers still text me years later on Christmas or Father’s Day. They would always tell me that none of the other supers would ever help them, only give orders.  

All I had to do was get my hands dirty when they needed my help and they loved me for it. 

Meanwhile....

Our “leader”:

-Attends Zoom calls from his kitchen wearing shorts, making breakfast while were all in our cars. Hey man, he can do it but imho it’s a bad look and isn’t endearing himself to the very people he relies on to produce under his rein. 

-One of the workers wives lives near our bosses’ house... apparently he’s home every day she passes by. 

-In a fleet of thousands of black vehicle he he chose a white SUV. Nothing wrong with that, my wife drives a white SUV. 

-All these threats and orders are conveyed to us by our immediate boss followed by him removing himself from our weekly calls the meeting following his heavy hand. Then he shows his face a week later and never acknowledges what’s transpired. 

- Has the worst ideas that make no sense for our industry. Zero forward thinking. 

-Texts us when our air pressure in low or were in need of an oil change. Lol this dude is one of about 20 of the most powerful people in our industry - doesn’t he have more important things to do besides watch us on his phone app all day while he’s chillin at home?

I hope my post didn't come across as me railing on you or making a personal attack on you.  Just felt like there might have been something more going on behind the scenes and your post today sheds some clarity to why things went down the way they did.  I'm sure it wasn't easy for you to put that out there for everybody to see--so I definitely respect that.  I also wish you the best of luck moving forward.  I'm certainly not any sort of motivational speaker--but I do know that businesses love results and productivity.  If they are more worried about squeezing a certain number of hours out of you more than they are how much business you bring them--they don't deserve you.  
No man, not at all. Even if it was, dispute how I reacted initially, I invite criticism. If it’s true I can learn from it and improve. If it’s untrue than WTF cares? 

Oh, and I wanted the thread closed - not because I didn’t like people disagreeing with me- At the time I was worried I conveyed too much that could lead to me getting fired. Now IDGAF. 

Appreciate the kind words. I enjoy your input on this board. 

Next people will want to start judging stocks on performance rather than efforts!

I’ll just say that what you laid out initially vs what’s going on now is pretty different 

I would definitely start seeking other employment 

It’s so bad. It’s a low end sedan with fabric on the dashboard. Far inferior to the Ford Fusions we had. 
I get it..I had a Malibu Limited as a rental and drove if from Nashville to Fort Meyers and thought the ride and performance was good.  Plus I was getting 33 mpg going 85.

I’ll just say that what you laid out initially vs what’s going on now is pretty different 

I would definitely start seeking other employment 
I was pretty upset initially and probably wasn’t clear in my posts. This has all gone down hill each week. First it was the oh btw we’ve been tracking you for 2 months w/o your knowledge. Then it was that we are expected to be out in our cars for a good four hours. Then it’s gone to no, we want you in your car for the entire 8 hours. 

I’ve recently learned that our immediate boss pretty much never left his house and a lot of this falls on him and we are left to suffer because of his actions. 

I get out of the car at the end of the day like an 85 y/o man and I’m starting to look at the interior of my vehicle mobile office like a pet does a bathtub at bath time. 

But, while I think it’s all wrong, Ive adjusted my attitude and if they want to pay me what they’re paying me to be in my car for 8 hours a day doing my job in the least productive manner possible that’s fine. I’ll fall in line. 

Ill do this with a smile on my face until my back gives out. I’m actually looking to see if massage therapy is covered under my insurance. 

In the meantime, my 401k and pension are in amazing shape and things could be worse so I have to stay positive. 

After a few conversations I believe I only have to put up with this for another year and a half. By then I should be moved into a better position with a lot Mo Money and no tracking. 

Users who are viewing this thread