What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you have a nickname? (1 Viewer)

WDIK2

Footballguy
Not talking about Pooky or Snuggle Bunny or whatever your SO might call you.  Referring to a legit nickname bestowed on you by friends, family, teammates, or coworkers that caught on.  If so, what is the story behind it?

I made the mistake of telling a friend that telemarketers would often pronounce my last name wrong.  That name happens to be the name of a secondary character in a popular sitcom.  It caught on to the point that it's odd if I hear one of my friends call me by my real first name.

Very small town near my small town and all of the guys from there I know have nicknames.  I knew several of them for years before I knew their real name.

Yep, my last name is long and starts with Mc so a friend in middle school shortened it to Mick and then Mix. Mix stuck and through HS/college that was basically my new first name. I still get called that by friends who knew me then. 

The entire state of Nevada, where i lived for 12 years, including my youngest son & his mother, knows me by my childhood nickname. My given name is a half-girls' name, so i was happy when kids in Boston started calling me Roger Wilco, made popular by my favorite show Sky King (a 50s airplane western, how does it get any cooler?!) and my affirmative response to anything. When we moved out to the burbs, nobody knew my nickname and the famous girl w the same name as me was no longer popular, so i went back to the name on the file.

I moved out to Reno to play the horses for a living, but was fascinated by the nearby poker room. After fighting temptation for a while, i finally decided to give it a try. Went into the room, they asked my name to put me on the list. I looked around and wasnt sure i wanted this assembly of shady characters to know my real name so i said "Roger". I made friends w a lady dealer and another player str8away, so i became Roger in the business that was to be my life for over 20 years. When i moved to NM after my wife died, i let the file name me again and my friends & customers would get very confused when Nevada players would pass thru and wanna hug & reminisce with ol' Rog.

Last edited by a moderator:
my initials sound out as "EmCee", so i got called "the host" by alotta folk. 

in my teenage years i displayed a propensity for ducking outta crowds/parties/etc. without being noticed (widely known as an "Irish Goodbye"), so it was "Iggy"for awhile - then some industrious chap just put the letter G in front of host, and ... WA-LA! "Ghost" (fit with my Irish Goodbyes + riff on "host" = win/win).

... but you can call me Al

Yes it's changed pending on times and group of friends over time.

You can tell how long someone has known me based on what name they used.

I'll get an occasional funny look when I see an old friend drop the old nickname and people I'm with are 😕

Yes it's changed pending on times and group of friends over time.

You can tell how long someone has known me based on what name they used.

I'll get an occasional funny look when I see an old friend drop the old nickname and people I'm with are 😕
Yes.  A friend's older brother used to call me Melvin.  That stuck for a little while, but I'm kind of glad it didn't stick into adulthood.  Apologies to the Melvins out there.  It's a fine name.

In college after a poor shooting recreational basketball my friends started calling me "Swish".

It started spreading that I was called that because I never missed a shot (which was also appropriate for when I was in a bar). It became legendary when in a dorm room this guy Ted was doubting my shooting ability and I crumpled up a piece of paper and fired it across the entire room into an old artillery shell that was used as an ashtray that had an opening only slightly bigger than the crumpled paper. It was pure luck but Ted let out an audible OMG and said "wow I thought it was just a joke.

A few of my college friends still call me Swish. I also have college friends that are grown men and still callled: Scooter, Stoner, Jeb and Melvin.

In college after a poor shooting recreational basketball my friends started calling me "Swish".

It started spreading that I was called that because I never missed a shot (which was also appropriate for when I was in a bar). It became legendary when in a dorm room this guy Ted was doubting my shooting ability and I crumpled up a piece of paper and fired it across the entire room into an old artillery shell that was used as an ashtray that had an opening only slightly bigger than the crumpled paper. It was pure luck but Ted let out an audible OMG and said "wow I thought it was just a joke.

A few of my college friends still call me Swish. I also have college friends that are grown men and still callled: Scooter, Stoner, Jeb and Melvin.
Ok hoops

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xBxQvU9wIUtFrW/giphy.gif

Ugh.  I'm not gigantic by any means, and even when I was thinner, a few folks called me "Big D".  Maybe there's another reason?   :excited:

Some just use "D" too.

Hellooooooooo, notebook!

My first name starts with an "E", and I've been called "E" my entire life... except here, where I'm a simple caveman.

I have several, but my favorite only my brother-in-law calls me.  He's 14 years older than me and basically helped my family raise me.  He started dating my sister when I was 4.  As far back as I can remember he's called me "Icepick", which he took from Magnum PI.  I've always felt like that was the coolest nickname, partly because it's so unique and partly because of how much I look up to him.

I answer to, "Bro," more easily than my given name. My nephew and niece even call me "Uncle Bro"

Could easily tell you the story, but, who cares. Well, my sister cares. She hates that her children call me that  :boxing:

:banned:

Not talking about Pooky or Snuggle Bunny or whatever your SO might call you.  Referring to a legit nickname bestowed on you by friends, family, teammates, or coworkers that caught on.  If so, what is the story behind it?

I made the mistake of telling a friend that telemarketers would often pronounce my last name wrong.  That name happens to be the name of a secondary character in a popular sitcom.  It caught on to the point that it's odd if I hear one of my friends call me by my real first name.

Very small town near my small town and all of the guys from there I know have nicknames.  I knew several of them for years before I knew their real name.
What.. You think Snogger is my legal name?? ;)  

It stands for half Snake, half frog and was given to me in high school. 

My friends said when it came to getting out of trouble I always seemed to either slither around it, or leap right over it, while they got busted. 

Remember the beer ad in the late 90’s where the beer man at a football game lectured everyone on not calling him a beer boy, beer maid, etc and said how it is and always will be “beer man.”  Then a hot girl stands up and yells “beer stud” and he runs over and gives her a beer?

I shaved my head once in high school and apparently looked like that guy so my friends dad started calling me “beer stud.”  

It stuck big time thru high school and little while afterwards.  My parents were mortified.  I loved it. 

Every now and then I’ll run into a high school friend and they’ll say it without missing a beat.  

So look at me....when I was 16 ish I was over a girl's house. We weren't dating per se but kind of. Her and two of her friends were over. Decide to go swimming. I don't have bathing suit so I go in my shorts. Get out of pool and you know how shorts suck to your body and you pull it to loosen it.   Well just before I do that the one girl says "hello Moby"

I didn't get it until way later :lol:

I was such a clueless teen

The fact that you had to explain it isn't a good look, let me tell you.

I never had a nickname. My last name is a two-syllable, easy to say, not-so-unique-it-stands-out but still-not-so-common.

So everyone has always just called me by my last name.
So not on amount of the schwantz. 

Our little league baseball games were during the day with very few parents there.  Small town early 80s.  Best baseball player I've ever played with only went by his nickname.

Get to HS and night games that his mom could attend.  She was a loud lady that always sat in the stands behind the plate and would yell stuff like, "Just throw strikes Danny!"  My first thought was, "who the #### is Danny?"  He would strike that batter out and flip his mom the bird.  True story. 

We have a group of 20-30 guys where we basically never use our real names. In fact at annual Ryder Cup golf tourney we have nicknames on hats. Some came from fantasy football team names, others from childhood, etc

We have a group of 20-30 guys where we basically never use our real names. In fact at annual Ryder Cup golf tourney we have nicknames on hats. Some came from fantasy football team names, others from childhood, etc
Not as many here, but the group of us that hung out in High School still call each other by the nicknames.

Bear, Kat, Goat, Moose, June Bug, Snogger.. Animal theme was strong with this group ;)  

Yes.  I'm  a Jr.  So I could have easily grown up being called Junior, or Little Firstname, or Firstnameie.  Thankfully my parents opted for a shortened version of our last name and it stuck.

My last name is not very common outside of this area, but evidently this nick name is common for the last name.  :loco:

In school I was always called Firstname, and my family and close friends called me Nickname.  To this day I am called both, and if a friend from school that always called me Firstname calls me Nickname, it sounds wrong and I correct them.  My wife knew my family before we started going to school together (4th grade), and has always known me as Nickname. 
At our 10 year high school reunion there was a rumor that she had forced me to change my name to Nickname because she didn't like Firstname.

But wait, it gets better.  Two of my high school classmates (one, best of buds to this day), their actual legal names are my Nickname.  So when we are all together, it gets confusing.

A young kid was staying overnight at a buddy's place with his son.  Late at night my buddy found the kid sitting on the basement steps looking kind of sad and thinking he was homesick.  My friend asked the kid what was wrong and the kid replied, "I don't like my name."  Friend asked the kid what he would like his name to be, and the kid replied, "I don't know.  Kermit?"

The kid has been known as Kermit ever since.  Buddy told that story at the kid's wedding.

One day I started a thread about nicknames and everyone started calling me W ####

A young kid was staying overnight at a buddy's place with his son.  Late at night my buddy found the kid sitting on the basement steps looking kind of sad and thinking he was homesick.  My friend asked the kid what was wrong and the kid replied, "I don't like my name."  Friend asked the kid what he would like his name to be, and the kid replied, "I don't know.  Kermit?"

The kid has been known as Kermit ever since.  Buddy told that story at the kid's wedding.
Damn, that kid must have had an awful name to prefer Kermit.

Users who are viewing this thread