What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you have a nickname? (1 Viewer)

First name is Richard.  I'm a twin, so it was natural that we'd be D### and Doug.  That was fine until the last couple of decades or so as D### picked up more of the, uh, anatomical connotation. I do use that term myself at times. 

Flash forward to about 12-15 years ago when I was going to run a race up in Milwaukee with one of the guys ( @gruecd) from the 10K Thread.  This was the first time I'd be meeting an internet friend, and I thought it might be weird if I said "Hi, I'm D###."  So I borrowed my son's longtime nickname, and all my running buddies (and now some of their families that I've met and people I meet at races) know me as Wally.

Funny PS: When the above friend came down to Chicago to stay at my place before catching a local race a couple years later, he shows up at my door and my college-age son answers the door.  He looks at my son and says "is Wally home?"  My son had to stop and think about that for a moment since he is Wally and he didn't know this big dude standing in front of him!  But then my son remembered that I use the nickname in the running circle and all was well.

PPS: If we were twin girls, we'd have been Mary and Martha, and I would have been the Martha.  So there's that.

Elementary and Jr High, 10 ton. When I would hit or tackle the other kids they said it felt like 10 tons. In high school and college my friends called me catfish because of my unruly mustache. I got tired of the mustache after college. My nicknames now are job related.

I just remembered one I got called for a few weeks in jr high. It was a couple of letters changed in my last name that made it sound like a cussword and something monkeys do. I quit getting called by it after I put a kid in a trashcan at school when he wouldn't stop saying it in the hallway. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My proud nickname moment.  This kid started up at my company and sat next to me.  His last name was ODonnell and on Day 1, I said "So....anyone ever call you Rosie?  You know...Rosie ODonnell?" and he said "No".

That was 20 years ago and everyone calls him Rosie to this day.  I'm sure there are people that don't even know his real first name.  There was one time he got recognized at an all EE meeting and the CFO of our organization called him Rosie.  Makes me LOL just to think about it.

My proud nickname moment.  This kid started up at my company and sat next to me.  His last name was ODonnell and on Day 1, I said "So....anyone ever call you Rosie?  You know...Rosie ODonnell?" and he said "No".

That was 20 years ago and everyone calls him Rosie to this day.  I'm sure there are people that don't even know his real first name.  There was one time he got recognized at an all EE meeting and the CFO of our organization called him Rosie.  Makes me LOL just to think about it.
I'm sure he finds this just as hilarious as you do.

I seem to get new one every ten years or so.

Jo Jo in my teens

Joey in my 20s    
(Satriani or Satch when I moved back up North)

Smokin’ Jo 30s

Sweet Jo 40s

Papa Jo 50s

Given name is Joseph, have always used two letters for the shortened version. People used to always tell me that’s the effeminate spelling. I would always act astonished, like I’d never heard that before. I think that finally stopped around 15 or so years ago.

Yep, my last name is long and starts with Mc so a friend in middle school shortened it to Mick and then Mix. Mix stuck and through HS/college that was basically my new first name. I still get called that by friends who knew me then. 
Same.  Mc Last name went to McNugget, then shortened to Nugget

Users who are viewing this thread