What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

favorite music front man (1 Viewer)

cant beat mick jagger.

jim morrison

cab calloway

ozzy

robert plant

who else?
Early 1990s.  It was late on the CU (University of Colorado) campus.  It was a hot evening with the sun going down a deserted main drag when I saw a white 1970s convertible with the top down with Robert Plant driving with his long hair billowing in the wind and a hot blonde sidled-up with him.

I was the only one on the street and he took no-notice of me or anyone.  He was just being Plant.

It was like I was watching a cliche promo for a movie about a rock star and it was AWESOME!

I think its against some sort of natural law to make anyone else my favorite rock-and-roll front man.

Maynard James Keenan—in Tool he lurks in the shadows. In Puscifer he plays various characters, in APC—he rolls with whatever he feels like.  Dude embodies completely different personalities within three different but really cool projects. 

Dave Gahan—criminally underrated front man.  

Zach de.la Rocha—got a chance to see rage live a couple of times—and his energy matches the intensity of the music really well.   

Front man appears a bit reductive of what Prince did, but he'd be my pick.

If we're just talking about the guy who sings and provides a charismatic presence in a group that is known as a band (as opposed to an extension of a solo artist), I'd pick Rod Stewart in his Faces days.

I believe front man to be sort of a generic, not gender specific, term. Does this have to be male? If not, my favorite would be Debbie Harry. She made me feel kinda funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym-class.

If male only; Jim Morrison

You guys are old, and I’m saying that as someone coming up on 40. 

in addition to Reznor, I’ll add Grohl to this list and Thom York’s gets a mention. 

You guys are old, and I’m saying that as someone coming up on 40. 

in addition to Reznor, I’ll add Grohl to this list and Thom York’s gets a mention. 
Dave Grohl is an awesome talent but he’s not really a “front man”. He’s been a drummer and a singer/guitarist. Maybe it’s too much of a semantics argument but generally a front man is a lead singer who is out in front of the band.

Maybe worthy of a separate thread, but as far as being surprised at how good of a front man goes, Rob Zombie is a hell of a front man. Saw him about 6 or 7 years ago at a smallish venue in NYC, and it was one of the best shows I’ve ever been to. I wasn’t expecting to be as impressed as I was going in, but man he was great. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Quint said:
Freddie Mercury
I was too young to see Queen live in person in their heyday, but if I’m being honest I’d probably pick Freddie. I’ve seen enough of their live stuff on video to be convinced that if I could go back in time to see one band, I’d probably pick Queen. 

Maybe worthy of a separate thread, but as far as being surprised at how good of a front man goes, Rob Zombie is a hell of a front man. Saw him about 6 or 7 years ago at a smallish venue in NYC, and it was one of the best shows I’ve ever been to. I wasn’t expecting to be as impressed as I was going in, but man he was great. 
Rob Zombie is a fun show. I’ve seen him twice.  I’d rather see a White Zombie show, but I’m sure it’s the same. 

Had the front man Rushmore discussion with a group last summer. Almost everyone was my age (50) pr older. Consensus was pretty clear for a top 3 - Mercury, Plant and Jagger. After that, there were a whole bunch of others for the fourth spot but I’d have to go Daltry.

Had the front man Rushmore discussion with a group last summer. Almost everyone was my age (50) pr older. Consensus was pretty clear for a top 3 - Mercury, Plant and Jagger. After that, there were a whole bunch of others for the fourth spot but I’d have to go Daltry.
Hard to debate the top 3, especially for the era of classic rock.  Would put Freddie at #1 mainly for his incredible voice.  Jagger is probably the most entertaining, but also the weakest voice of the bunch.    David Lee Roth, Ozzie, Steven Tyler would get consideration.  Probably go with Tyler. 

I think Stevie Nicks deserves mention.  Or perhaps just have a separate category for women?  Nicks is solidly one.  But there is also Blondie, Joplin, Wilson, Slick.  

Best newer one has to be Matt Bellamy of Muse.  Live crowds go nuts for almost everything he does, and he knows how to work a crowd like the best of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread