What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will 14 Playoff Teams Make Week 17 Fantasy Playable? (1 Viewer)

HairyGOATee

Footballguy
Too often I've seen teams  rest their players because they already have a bye locked up, or they just don't have anything to play for. Now there's one less bye on each side of the bracket and there's another spot to play for, which might make more teams play a full 4 quarters in week 17.

Who might not play a full 4 quarters? Teams with no shot of making the playoffs, a team that already has homefield advantage/#1 locked up, and/or other teams that have clinched playoff berths and would rather rest their players than 1.) risk losing them to injury or 2.) securing a higher seed from a win.

So what do you think, Will 14 Playoff Teams Make Week 17 Fantasy Playable?
Are you going to try playing a full 17 weeks this season?
Or do you do that already?

My league is already 17 weeks, and I think it will be better with the added playoff teams. Lot of talk also about adding another game and maybe bye week onto all that and shrinking the preseason in future years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too often I've seen teams  rest their players because they already have a bye locked up, or they just don't have anything to play for. Now there's one less bye on each side of the bracket and there's another spot to play for, which might make more teams play a full 4 quarters in week 17.

Who might not play a full 4 quarters? Teams with no shot of making the playoffs, a team that already has homefield advantage/#1 locked up, and/or other teams that have clinched playoff berths and would rather rest their players than 1.) risk losing them to injury or 2.) securing a higher seed from a win.

So what do you think, Will 14 Playoff Teams Make Week 17 Fantasy Playable?
Are you going to try playing a full 17 weeks this season?
Or do you do that already?
Absolutely don't play that already and while the extra playoff team SLIGHTLY makes it more playable, it brings it from a 5% to a 10% for me.  There will still be lots of times where a team has the 1 seed locked up (the only bye) and has nothing to play for and rests a huge fantasy stud during fantasy finals.  Garbage.

Leroy Hoard said:
My league is already 17 weeks, and I think it will be better with the added playoff teams. Lot of talk also about adding another game and maybe bye week onto all that and shrinking the preseason in future years.
Yeah, I'm with you on shrinking the preseason and adding another game as well as another bye week. Ideally, expand playoffs to 8 teams and give all playoff teams a bye week. During that down week, the NFL can have the Pro Bowl or something like that. Ionno, but that part they can definitely figure out.

Deamon said:
Absolutely don't play that already and while the extra playoff team SLIGHTLY makes it more playable, it brings it from a 5% to a 10% for me.  There will still be lots of times where a team has the 1 seed locked up (the only bye) and has nothing to play for and rests a huge fantasy stud during fantasy finals.  Garbage.
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. My league is approaching it as nothing has changed, but if we see a significant difference, then we'll consider it.

Obviously, when the league adds a 17th game, then week 17 will HAVE to be included, but ionno about week 18. Maybe. I'd imagine a lot more teams would have more on the line with their being an odd number of games then.

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. My league is approaching it as nothing has changed, but if we see a significant difference, then we'll consider it.

Obviously, when the league adds a 17th game, then week 17 will HAVE to be included, but ionno about week 18. Maybe. I'd imagine a lot more teams would have more on the line with their being an odd number of games then.
No matter how many teams make it and how many games there are, the last week of the regular season is always going to have numerous NFL teams that are not playing their starters.  Why would you leave the biggest week in fantasy, with the most on the line, to pure chance that your stud player you rode to the championship will be on the sidelines?  Makes no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread