What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG's in HOA's - is yours opening the pool and common areas? (1 Viewer)

-OZ-

Footballguy
(I know, "HOA's suck". Got it, but at least here if you want to be in the good school districts you're practically stuck being in an HOA) 

What has your HOA done with regards to the pool and other areas? 

Ours is still closed, with a lot of unhappy people. The property manager's attorney was very clear that it should not open without insurance covering infectious diseases.  Makes sense, but I'm curious to see what others have done. 

The property manager's attorney was very clear that it should not open without insurance covering infectious diseases
I don't understand HOAs because I've never really dealt with them. Who would get the insurance? Who would be liable if someone got sick? Is there a company of some kind? Do they own anything?  

Nope. Not yet. Seems to be an influx of semi-permanent pools popping up in the neighborhood as a result 

I don't understand HOAs because I've never really dealt with them. Who would get the insurance? Who would be liable if someone got sick? Is there a company of some kind? Do they own anything?  
The HOA itself gets the insurance. 

If someone got infected, there's potential liability on the HOA itself (usually covered by increased fees) and the individual board members. As if you ever needed another reason to not be on the board. (I'm our treasurer)

Nope. Not yet. Seems to be an influx of semi-permanent pools popping up in the neighborhood as a result 
I'm actually headed to Walmart this morning to explore options. 

We won't buy one of the cheapie kiddie pools but maybe water slide, or at least a better sprinkler.

I friend of mine, he lives in a single family home in Northern Virginia, his community has a pool but it’s not mandatory to join, but for the 1st time there wasn’t enough owners to sign up, around $500 is required and needed a minimum of 170 owners, they cancelled the pool for this year, this happened yesterday, too much uncertainty and no refunds was an issue.  

I friend of mine, he lives in a single family home in Northern Virginia, his community has a pool but it’s not mandatory to join, but for the 1st time there wasn’t enough owners to sign up, around $500 is required and needed a minimum of 170 owners, they cancelled the pool for this year, this happened yesterday, too much uncertainty and no refunds was an issue.  
This is playing out all through NOVA -- a lot of areas/large neighborhoods have a private pool you can join pretty cheap for the summer.  Our pool and the two neighboring pools aren't opening this year either.

I'm actually headed to Walmart this morning to explore options. 

We won't buy one of the cheapie kiddie pools but maybe water slide, or at least a better sprinkler.
I had one of these for 3 years.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-18-x-48-Easy-Set-Above-Ground-Pool-with-Filter-Pump/811767966?athcpid=811767966&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=11778c62-801-17223721ecc6c2&athancid=null&athena=true

I spent more on chemicals and filters than the pool....lol

Saw this at the store (or one very much like it). Might be worth while. We just bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/JOYIN-Sprinkler-Watermelon-Inflatable-Toddlers/dp/B07S2FLZQH

We'll consider a trampoline sprinkler (already have the trampoline)

Yeah the thing I liked was it was almost 4 ft deep so it felt like a regular pool.

But man I had to do actual pool maintenance...

I stopped setting it up cause my daughter didn't really use it a ton the last year
That's my thought.

We had a real pool for 4 years in a previous house. We liked it a lot, but the maintenance was a pain. So the HOA pool was a good compromise. 

And then this. 

We might be able to open, it looks like the governor has ordered "no frivolous lawsuits" but we'll need to dig deeper.

Ours is opening next weekend with capacity limits and only limited tables / chairs available. We have to sign a waiver if we decide to use the pool so that the HOA can’t be sued. 

In California here.  It normally would have opened May 1, but they said it is opening June 1 now which is when the current shelter in place expires. No idea if they’ll expand the SIP after May but I assume if they do, it will be delayed further. 

I am VP on my HOA (yeah just shoot me now...was president in my previous neighborhood for 10 years and been VP here since turnover back in 2012). Needless to say I am closing on our forever home we built this year in a month and I will for sure not be doing any kind of board volunteering ever again. Pure thankless job.

We are keeping our pool closed until further notice. It sucks for those who do not have their own pool. But we simply can’t control what the county guidelines in place want to re-open a public pool right now. It is just too difficult to control and the liability to great.

Life is not normal and it is what it is until we get a handle on what we are dealing with here in the next 6 months hopefully. 

Last edited by a moderator:
-OZ- said:
The HOA itself gets the insurance. 

If someone got infected, there's potential liability on the HOA itself (usually covered by increased fees) and the individual board members. As if you ever needed another reason to not be on the board. (I'm our treasurer)
Yup.....never doing it again. 17 years was enough for me....went through two developer turnovers and two developer lawsuits......done. Finished and just want to live in my new community next month.

Plenty of younger whipper snappers in there to take over the HOA on turnover. I am retired from that horse #### permanently. 

Our's is targeting a mid June opening.  I don't think all the details have been hashed out yet, so I don't have much to share other than the target time frame.  My son is a lifeguard and they have not mobilized that group yet.  I live in NE Ohio, so the weather hasn't been too conducive to swimming yet anyway, so we haven't missed musch yet.  We usually open Memorial Day weekend under normal conditions.

seems to be following some state guidelines that make it look like we shouldn't or cant open it.  Though those seem more for like public park swimming pool type things and we are awaiting more guidance in what neighborhoods need to follow.

Email from my HOA:

The Board is working with the pool management company to have the pools opened as soon as possible.  There will be new rules and regulations that must be followed once it can open and these must be adhered to.  Once the pools are opened, there will be NO guests allowed until further notice.  You must bring your own tables and chairs and you must maintain 6ft distance from anyone that is not in your immediate family.  There will only be a certain number of people allowed in the pool at a time so we are working on a system to make sure that is followed fairly.  If any user refuses to follow these requirements, that user will be asked to leave and/or the facility must close.  As soon as we have updated information, we will send out new eblast communication to the neighborhood.    Below are the current guidelines from DHEC on opening the pool.

1. Facilities should only allow 20% of normal occupancy or 5 people (staff and visitors) per 1000 square feet of pool and deck area, whichever is less.

2. Person-to-person interaction and activities between members of separate households should be limited and social distancing of six feet between them should be practiced.

3. Commonly used surfaces such as bathrooms, doors, handrails, ladders, gates, lawn chairs, drinking water fountains, picnic tables, etc. should be cleaned and disinfected between each use by a different person, or at a minimum, once a day.

4. Hand sanitizer should be provided for use by all staff and visitors.

5. Signs and/or examples of six foot areas related to social distancing should be posted.

6. Full compliance with SC Public Swimming Pool Regulation 61-51 is always required.

7. Remove from service or regularly disinfect shareable equipment (for example, kick boards, floats, etc.)

8. Consider lane reservations to allow family groups to use a lane or specific area of a pool.

9. Consider a phased approach to opening that brings back lane swimming and limited number participant classes before opening for general swimming.

10. Life guards should continue to follow universal precautions when rendering first aid of any type to patrons.

11. Follow CDC guidelines regarding cleaning and disinfecting.

12. Follow CDC guidelines for public pools, hot tubs and water playgrounds.

At this time, the gym will remain closed.  The requirements to open the gym per the SC Governor are not geared towards gyms that are not fully staffed.

Our Community Manager, ##########i, will be back on-site starting Monday, May 18 for appointments only.  If you need anything from her please call ######### or email mailto:########## to make an appointment.  Appointments will be held outside of the clubhouse where there can be social distancing.

Thank you for your patience as we all work through this new ‘normal’ together.

I'd add: our pool is awesome.  Olympic sized plus splash areas for tots, and a probably 30' water slide.  4th of July is awesome - we have a DJ and a ton of folks bring shade tents and hang out all day.  Fireworks as soon as it gets dark.

It's well worth the pain of an HOA to have a pool like that within walking distance. 

belljr said:
Yeah the thing I liked was it was almost 4 ft deep so it felt like a regular pool.

But man I had to do actual pool maintenance...

I stopped setting it up cause my daughter didn't really use it a ton the last year
Had that same pool for a few years.  Great value.   Got the sand filter which made things a lot easier.   Like you kids stopped using it so tossed it.    Hindsight, i shouldve kep it since i might  be picking up again so kids have something to do with most things being closed this summer.   

Our HOA just has a playground. Closed pretty quickly and hasn’t opened but I think it will any day now.  

I'm somewhat surprised any community pools would open this summer, I would think that being in a pool is about as much of a petri dish as you can get and,  considering how pool water disperses, it may circumvent good-natured attempts at social distancing.

The Karens on our Facebook page are flipping out about the playground being closed still. It’s hilarious to watch. 

update:

Please do not reply to this message.

Main Pool Opening

We appreciate everyone being patient as we navigate through the new rules and regulations released by the SC Governor.   The main pool will open Thursday, May 21 with normal pool hours.  These hours can be found in the attached pool rules.  Early morning lap swimming will not be allowed at this time.  The small pool will remain closed at this time.  The pool will be a Swim At Your Own Risk for the time being with only an attendant on duty.  This attendant is not a lifeguard and is solely onsite to make sure max capacity isn’t gone over, to sign in all residents entering the pool, verify waivers are signed and to clean.  Please make sure to pay close attention to the posted signage and make sure you are abiding by all rules and regulations listed below. During this time, only 20% (96 people) will be allowed on the pool deck at one time.  This includes staff and residents.  Any resident over 18 years of age will be required to sign a waiver in order to use the pool.  The waiver does ask that you include the entire family.  If you have any children over the age of 18, please have them sign their own waiver.  Please be patient when signing in as the attendant will be verifying you have a signed waiver each and every time you enter the pool deck.  Hand sanitizer is available at the attendant table when needed.  Below are rules that must be followed in order to keep the pool open.  Anyone who is not following these rules will be asked to leave and/or the pool could be shut down.  Every two (2) hours, the pool deck will be cleared for cleaning for 30 minutes.  You will be required to pack up your things and leave the pool deck at this time.  Once the 30 minutes is up, the pool deck will re-open which will allow those who have not had a chance to use the pool yet to enter.  We are hoping to do this without having to use a software to schedule times at the pool.  Please be respectful to your neighbors and take turns when visiting the pool.

• Main pool to open on May 21 as a Swim At Your Own Risk with only attendants on site.  No lifeguards.
  • Small pool remain closed for now.
  • Every person 18 and older must sign a waiver with the attendant before being allowed in to the pool.
  • You must bring your own chairs/tables to use.
  • You must practice social distancing and stay at least 6ft apart from anyone who is not in your family.
  • No guests will be allowed until further notice.
  • No parties will be allowed until further notice.
  • You MUST have your pool fob to enter the pool gate.  The attendants will not let anyone in that does not have an active fob.
  • Anyone not following these instructions will be asked to leave and/or the pool will be shut down.
  • Max capacity at this time is 96 people on the pool deck including all staff and attendants.
  • Slide will NOT be open until the pool has lifeguards on duty.
  • Gym to remain closed at this time.
We are excited for things to moving forward and our pool is able to open for the Memorial Day weekend.

update:

Please do not reply to this message.

Main Pool Opening

We appreciate everyone being patient as we navigate through the new rules and regulations released by the SC Governor.   The main pool will open Thursday, May 21 with normal pool hours.  These hours can be found in the attached pool rules.  Early morning lap swimming will not be allowed at this time.  The small pool will remain closed at this time.  The pool will be a Swim At Your Own Risk for the time being with only an attendant on duty.  This attendant is not a lifeguard and is solely onsite to make sure max capacity isn’t gone over, to sign in all residents entering the pool, verify waivers are signed and to clean.  Please make sure to pay close attention to the posted signage and make sure you are abiding by all rules and regulations listed below. During this time, only 20% (96 people) will be allowed on the pool deck at one time.  This includes staff and residents.  Any resident over 18 years of age will be required to sign a waiver in order to use the pool.  The waiver does ask that you include the entire family.  If you have any children over the age of 18, please have them sign their own waiver.  Please be patient when signing in as the attendant will be verifying you have a signed waiver each and every time you enter the pool deck.  Hand sanitizer is available at the attendant table when needed.  Below are rules that must be followed in order to keep the pool open.  Anyone who is not following these rules will be asked to leave and/or the pool could be shut down.  Every two (2) hours, the pool deck will be cleared for cleaning for 30 minutes.  You will be required to pack up your things and leave the pool deck at this time.  Once the 30 minutes is up, the pool deck will re-open which will allow those who have not had a chance to use the pool yet to enter.  We are hoping to do this without having to use a software to schedule times at the pool.  Please be respectful to your neighbors and take turns when visiting the pool.

• Main pool to open on May 21 as a Swim At Your Own Risk with only attendants on site.  No lifeguards.
  • Small pool remain closed for now.
  • Every person 18 and older must sign a waiver with the attendant before being allowed in to the pool.
  • You must bring your own chairs/tables to use.
  • You must practice social distancing and stay at least 6ft apart from anyone who is not in your family.
  • No guests will be allowed until further notice.
  • No parties will be allowed until further notice.
  • You MUST have your pool fob to enter the pool gate.  The attendants will not let anyone in that does not have an active fob.
  • Anyone not following these instructions will be asked to leave and/or the pool will be shut down.
  • Max capacity at this time is 96 people on the pool deck including all staff and attendants.
  • Slide will NOT be open until the pool has lifeguards on duty.
  • Gym to remain closed at this time.
We are excited for things to moving forward and our pool is able to open for the Memorial Day weekend.
I suspect your HOA has done its due diligence, but I am leary of "swim at your own risk" and sign a waiver policies.  I bet your HOA could still be found liable under some circumstances if tragedy were to strike.  Why no lifeguards?  Are they just saving money?

I'm somewhat surprised any community pools would open this summer, I would think that being in a pool is about as much of a petri dish as you can get and,  considering how pool water disperses, it may circumvent good-natured attempts at social distancing.
If pool water is maintained properly as required by law in a public pool there is no concern about COVID-19 transmission.  

Not this year. 
Lol, bunch of soccer moms started requesting a portion of the annual dues back and the HOA decided they’ll now open in 10 days. 

They are not allowing groups to meet in the pavilion though.

Users who are viewing this thread