What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What if coronavirus had hit in 2012? (1 Viewer)

Obama won re-election by four points in 2012. If there had been a pandemic, what would have happened

• Obama wins by larger margin

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Obama wins, but it's closer

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Romney wins a close race

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Romney wins in a landslide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No change

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

zftcg

Footballguy
I was originally going to ask what if the virus had arrived during Obama's presidency, but I thought it would be more interesting to place it in a parallel situation where Obama, like Trump this year, is running for re-election. Also, I don't remember exactly when Romney locked up the nomination in 2012, but for this hypothetical assume that, like BIden, he was the presumptive nominee by the time the pandemic hit.

And to remind everyone of the state of play that year: GOP controlled the House, Dems had the Senate. This was after the H1N1 pandemic but before Ebola. Perhaps most importantly, the economy was just crawling out of the Great Recession.

Honestly, I put in the poll questions for the hell of it, but I think the more interesting questions are the open-ended ones. Would we see a role reversal compared to right now, with the Democratic administration downplaying the crisis and the GOP hyping it? Or would we see the same dynamic with conservatives protesting shutdown orders? What would have been the political response? Hard to imagine Boehner and McConnell signing on to the trillions Congress has passed over the past few months.

Users who are viewing this thread