What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Supporting restaurants directly (1 Viewer)

Man, everybody is in the pockets of restaurants. Grubhub, Uber Eats and Post Mates 20-30% of the bill. Yelp, Open Table, taking pieces. Heck, if you even click on the phone # doing after doing a google search it’s a cut. I’m just going to order directly from the business and pick it up myself from now on. Read some of these restaurants doing 1K gross in a day and netting $300. Ridiculous. 
I've never used any of these delivery services and never will.  However, one thing I've noticed the past few weeks is that some restaurants are putting together special curb-side meals, whereas others are just using their normal pre-COVID dine-in menu prices, only for carryout  I'm still going to support them, but its something I've made a mental note of.  One local place puts together a box of tacos and sides for $40 that is going to easily feed my family.  Its a great deal, and there's always a line of cars out front. Dine-in would cost more, but we'd be getting the restaurant experience, table service, no dishes to clean, etc.  We picked up dinner at our local empanada place last week and it was their normal prices - almost $100 for a dozen empanadas and some sides.  I'd be happy if they would put together a curbside menu that takes into account they are just giving you the food to go in a paper bag.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Unfortunately a necessary evil for most businesses during this crisis. Many didn’t have a good system in place for online orders and it also got customers in may not have seen them without the resources. They were also forced into a leaner staff, so the extra help organizing and taking orders was needed.
We used grubhub for one joint because they only have one phone line. It's impossible to get through. We will start trying via phone and give it about 30 minutes off and on of effort, but if/when unsuccessful we used the app to order. They're a dine-in place, so it wouldn't surprise me if this was their hastily thrown together solution out of necessity. 

I order take-out an delivery quite a bit, and I go to the restaurant's site to see if it has its own online ordering system or at least a link to its postmates/grubhub etc. page. If not though, I will order through the app, and the restaurant gets hit with the big fee. I will do my best to help out the local folks (e.g., tip in cash when I order thru an app that requires the tip to be entered upfront and thus uses that to manipulate the delivery fee offered to a driver on a given order), but making a phone call is asking too much from me.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
I kinda don't understand all the hate on these delivery services. Sure, if they are jacking up prices and arranging deliveries without the restaurant knowing, that's not cool....but if the restaurant is willingly using the service.  :shrug:

They can simply not use them or do their own deliveries....right?

I kinda don't understand all the hate on these delivery services. Sure, if they are jacking up prices and arranging deliveries without the restaurant knowing, that's not cool....but if the restaurant is willingly using the service.  :shrug:

They can simply not use them or do their own deliveries....right?
And if anything the hate should definitely not be directed at the drivers making peanuts.  I feel bad for all of these guys as their jobs will all soon be displaced from drone delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of our local boroughs (PA) has suspended their open container law. This allows bars/restaurants to sell alcohol "to go" and allows citizens to consume alcohol on borough property (under state orders, food and alcohol cannot currently be consumed on a restaurants property). To take it a step further, the borough is setting up tables all throughout town on their property to encourage people to have a place to "go out to eat". The council said they wanted to help restaurants that are struggling to stay afloat on food alone. Love this. Hope it becomes the norm everywhere this summer.  :thumbup:

One of our local boroughs (PA) has suspended their open container law. This allows bars/restaurants to sell alcohol "to go" and allows citizens to consume alcohol on borough property (under state orders, food and alcohol cannot currently be consumed on a restaurants property). To take it a step further, the borough is setting up tables all throughout town on their property to encourage people to have a place to "go out to eat". The council said they wanted to help restaurants that are struggling to stay afloat on food alone. Love this. Hope it becomes the norm everywhere this summer.  :thumbup:
Who is sanitizing those public tables between users?

I should be better about this stuff, but frankly the apps make the whole delivery experience so much better.  All of our restaurant choices are there to scroll through, then it’s one click to the menu, and the standardized menus make reading/choosing so much less burdensome. GPS tracking the drivers is so nice. And as someone mentioned above, I don’t like to pickup my own food after I’ve already started boozing, which is virtually every day during this pandemic.  🤷‍♂️ 

Last edited by a moderator:
I should be better about this stuff, but frankly the apps make the whole delivery experience so much better.  All of our restaurant choices are there to scroll through, then it’s one click to the menu, and the standardized menus make reading/choosing so much less burdensome. GPS tracking the drivers is so nice. And as someone mentioned above, I don’t like to pickup my own food after I’ve already started boozing, which is virtually every day during this pandemic.  🤷‍♂️ 
Same here except I pickup.  I typically order from a handful of the same places and I get the same thing so its just a couple of clicks, my card is already on file and I don't have to talk to anyone.   If I had to go back to calling and dealing with the fun that can be, I'd probably order a lot less.  I do foster dogs so hopefully that buys me some goodwill with the almighty when its my turn to be judged.  

I only order directly from restaurants now if possible, too many times getting burned by a door dash driver making 4 stops before delivering our food and having it come out cold. Also, all the shady stuff places like Grubhub do where they make fake websites that mimic the restaurant's real website but increase the price of everything 20%, then they just pocket the difference when you think you are ordering directly from the restaurant. 

I believe the cocktails to go is about to become state law 

I have never ran a restaurant but it's obvious they subsidize food cost by price gouging on beverages.  I get it, I was merely pointing it out since there seems to be so much annoyance with the delivery drivers ripping people off.
If only there were a way to accept the subsidy and avoid the price gouging.

As I’ve posted before, I live in the country. No one offers delivery to me.

Wife and I spent the day working outside today, had a few this afternoon and didn’t feel like cooking

I doordashed tgifridays. First time I’ve had food delivered in my life. 

After I placed my order the app said it would be 45-55 mins. It was here in 30. Food arrived hot. If I ordered online and drove there immediately after it would have taken me longer than 30 mins round trip. 

Also got $5 off and no delivery fee because it was our first time.

Its not something we will do real often but I have to say, we were happy with it

🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread