What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The NFL's version of "The Last Dance?" (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I don't know about anyone else, but I just got through watching "The Last Dance" documentary on ESPN about Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls of the NBA.  This makes me wonder: if there were an NFL version of "The Last Dance," who do you think it should be about?  My personal choice would be Brett Favre and the Packers.  There's other choices you can consider, like Tom Brady's Patriots or Joe Montana's 49ers.  But I want to hear from everyone else: who do you think ESPN should do a documentary on that would be similar to what they've been showing the last 5 weeks about MJ?

Get the cameras out right now and show me how Aaron Rodgers handles this.  He's a salty dude and has a bug up his ### now for sure.

The Johnson/Switzer era of the Cowboys would be very entertaining...a lot of of characters, storylines and championships.

Listened to a John Middlekauf podcast a week or so ago and he discussed this very thing. His top two were NE and 90's era Dallas and I was in total agreement.

Has to be the Pats.  Not sure there's enough footage of stuff going on from way back in the day in the NFL.  Nor would the storyline be as interesting.  If you want someone who is or is close to being the GOAT, on a team with a bunch of Championships, and some drama and side stories around it, the Pats are the textbook definition and I can't even think of another team that would come close.

Yogibear said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I just got through watching "The Last Dance" documentary on ESPN about Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls of the NBA.  This makes me wonder: if there were an NFL version of "The Last Dance," who do you think it should be about?  My personal choice would be Brett Favre and the Packers.  There's other choices you can consider, like Tom Brady's Patriots or Joe Montana's 49ers.  But I want to hear from everyone else: who do you think ESPN should do a documentary on that would be similar to what they've been showing the last 5 weeks about MJ?
Richard Todd.

The Pats run for sure. You have so much material:

- BB's grumpy old man schtick

- Brady and the whole late round pick 

- The BS tuck game

- beating the Greatest Show on Turf

- the feuds with the Mannnings

- Gronk insanity 

- Aaron Hernandez saga

- Randy Moss

and that's just scratching the surface

- The BS tuck game

- Gronk insanity 

- Aaron Hernandez saga

- Randy Moss

Maybe in 20 years, sure. For now I've seen plenty of the patriots and would have zero interest in watching. Plus Brady is so full of bs you cant believe a word he says.

The Johnson/Switzer era of the Cowboys would be very entertaining...a lot of of characters, storylines and championships.
The Cowboys would be my pick too. Deion, Irvin, Jerry, Newton, Lett, so many interesting characters, not even counting guys like Aikman and Emmitt. 

- The BS tuck game

- Gronk insanity 

- Aaron Hernandez saga

- Randy Moss

You forgot cheating, massage parlors, and cutting Tiquan Underwood 24 hours before the biggest game of his life.

The Cowboys would be my pick too. Deion, Irvin, Jerry, Newton, Lett, so many interesting characters, not even counting guys like Aikman and Emmitt. 
I don't think it would be THAT interesting.  There's lots of NFL films and things on those older teams.  Plus how much 'new interesting' footage is there really going to be of those seasons?  You wouldn't be getting all the behind the scenes stuff that hundreds of millions of people were following and will be glued to their tv's for. 

Maybe for the die hard fans, sure.  But if you're looking for something with entertainment value, and storylines that fans and non fans would all be interested in, it simply has to be the Pats.  The ratings would be 10X that of if you did the old Cowboys teams... and at the end of the day, that's what they're after.

I'm watching Get Up! on ESPN, and Dominique Foxworth just gave an interesting answer for the NFL's version of "The Last Dance."  He said Al Davis and the Raiders teams of the '70s.  I'm not sure if that'll be worth watching as the Patriots of the 2000s or the Cowboys of the '90s or even the 49ers of the '80s.

I just dont think football has the same impact. Too many players involved. 
Agreed, never thought of that.  I don't think anything will duplicate the last dance, but even if its 25% of the success of it, it will be a success.  Brady/Pats was the easy/only choice.  Curious how it will be.

I'm a little biased as a Niner fan, but the '94-95 49ers would be a fun team to profile. You have the legends (Young, Rice), some notable depth (Ken Norton Jr., Ed McCaffrey), and some colorful personalities (Deion Sanders, Ricky Watters, William Floyd, Merten Hanks). That team was loaded and full of charisma.

I'd like to go the opposite direction. One of the greatest players ever playing for one of the worst franchises.

I would love to see Barry Sanders and the Lions inside story.

I'd like to go the opposite direction. One of the greatest players ever playing for one of the worst franchises.

I would love to see Barry Sanders and the Lions inside story.
No worldwide mass market appeal there.

Don't these already basically exist and they're called All or Nothing?

I don't really see what an hours overview of a winning football season can offer to any but the most cursory fan.

Users who are viewing this thread