What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Do You Consume Your Music? (1 Viewer)

Binky The Doormat

Footballguy
This came up in another thread.  No pole, I'll just assemble the results and post back here. 

Pretty simple approach -

1)  list your age range by decade - 20s, 30s, 40s, etc.

2)  Divide your music listening into three categories below by estimated percentage (should add up to 100%)

- full album ...start to finish

- custom playlist stuff

- pandora-type mix the "system" has created 

3)  Divide your music listening by device (should add up to 100%)

- phone/ipad with earbuds

- wireless speakers

- wired stereo system set up 

This came up in another thread.  No pole, I'll just assemble the results and post back here. 

Pretty simple approach -

2)  Divide your music listening into three categories below by estimated percentage (should add up to 100%)

- custom playlist stuff

- wireless speakers

50's

1SiriusXM

2Playlists I make

Wired stereo

Noise cancelling headphones

Last edited by a moderator:
47/M/Cincinnati

Full album: 15%
Playlists I make or songs I specifically pick that I want to listen to: 20%
Full live shows that I find and play: 10%
Everything esle: 55%.  This includes everything that is a "surprise".  So it could be a playlist created by someone else, a recommended playlist or mix made by Spotify (or rarely Pandora), but most of it is streaming radio (Jemp, WXPN, Inhaler, Sun Radio, etc.).

47/M/Cincinnati

Full album: 15%
Playlists I make or songs I specifically pick that I want to listen to: 20%
Full live shows that I find and play: 10%
Everything esle: 55%.  This includes everything that is a "surprise".  So it could be a playlist created by someone else, a recommended playlist or mix made by Spotify (or rarely Pandora), but most of it is streaming radio (Jemp, WXPN, Inhaler, Sun Radio, etc.).
how about your listening device percent amounts?

1)  30s

2)  - full album ...start to finish 15%

- custom playlist stuff 70%

- pandora-type 15%

3)  - phone/ipad with earbuds 60% 

- wireless speakers 25% 

- wired stereo system set up  15% 

*My wireless play would have been a lot higher a year ago but I took a much closer job and so I don't drive nearly as much. 

Pretty simple approach -

- custom playlist stuff

- wireless speakers

1) 50s

2) 30%,20%,50%

3) 5%, 50%, 40%

Off topic but I have over 200 CDs that I have not listened to in years,  Are they worth anything?
Pop one in and give it a listen. You may be surprised at how much better the sound quality is over streaming. I know I fell into the trap of it was easier and cheaper to stream. But one day I put a real cd on and it is noticeably better. 

Great topic. Just this past weekend I set up my old stereo system that's been collecting dust in my basement for a number of years.  Mainly wanted to fire up the turn table and I forgot how fantastic vinyl sounds through good speakers.  Might be my new hobby...adding more vinyl to my collection.  I only have about 40 LPs (Appetite and Synchronicity) my best 2 and wore those suckers out this weekend.  Anyway to answer your question...

1.  49 so still 40's for another 10 months

2. 5% (likely to increase now), 75%, 20%

3. 25%, 70%, 5%

1)  50's

- full album ... 5%

- custom playlist stuff - 75%

- pandora-type mix the "system" has created  - 20%

- phone/ipad with earbuds -  60%

- wireless speakers - 35%

- wired stereo system set up - 5%

1) 50's

2)  Album - 5%, Playlist - 75%, Sirus XM channels - 20%

3) phone w/earbuds - 15%, Wireless speaker - 70%, Car (wired?) - 15%

1) 50's

2)  Album - 5%, Playlist - 75%, Sirus XM channels - 20%

3) phone w/earbuds - 15%, Wireless speaker - 70%, Car (wired?) - 15%
do you have a traditional "wired" stereo at home?  

in your car are you listening to the radio, or sirius, or streaming music from your phone ?

Pretty simple approach -

- custom playlist stuff

- wireless speakers

1) 40s

2) full album 60, custom playlist 0, random Spotify playlist 40 (I have no time or desire to create my own playlists)

3) phone/pc earbuds 95, wireless 0, wired via PC speakers 5

what is the estimated percentage of the time you listen to your playlists vs sirius?

so 100% of what you listen to is on your wired stereo?
i'm in my office during the day, listen to SiriusXM all day via wired speakers/sub.

Driving around, Sirius or my bluetooth cellphone Spotify or Napster playlists.   Through my cars Bose 9 speaker surround/sub system

At home, have a giant home theater/speaker setup with over $8000 worth of hi end speakers, sub and the deck itself.  Listen to music via bluetooth off Sirius XM or my playlists. I could put CD's in and listen but never have.  All my CD's i've digitized, the physical copies sit in plastic bins in storage.    I also have some very nice Sony noise cancelling bluetooth headphones i use to listen to music, often while i'm playing the drums along with whatever i'm hearing.   In the living room, we have some wireless speakers that we stream Sirius, Spotify or Napster off a laptop via bluetooth.   

that's how i consume music.   

I would say i listen to SiriusXM  70%  to 30% playlists.   That's lately.   Normally its 50/50

ETA:   the playlists are all stuff i put together along certain themes.   I don't use pandora or random system generated playlists, except for Christmas music during the holidays

i'm in my office during the day, listen to SiriusXM all day via wired speakers/sub.

Driving around, Sirius or my bluetooth cellphone Spotify or Napster playlists.   Through my cars Bose 9 speaker surround/sub system

At home, have a giant home theater/speaker setup with over $8000 worth of hi end speakers, sub and the deck itself.  Listen to music via bluetooth off Sirius XM or my playlists. I could put CD's in and listen but never have.  All my CD's i've digitized, the physical copies sit in plastic bins in storage.    I also have some very nice Sony noise cancelling bluetooth headphones i use to listen to music, often while i'm playing the drums along with whatever i'm hearing.   In the living room, we have some wireless speakers that we stream Sirius, Spotify or Napster off a laptop via bluetooth.   

that's how i consume music.   

I would say i listen to SiriusXM  70%  to 30% playlists.   That's lately.   Normally its 50/50
Congratulations on all your success  :thumbup:

Current number for the 40-49 YOs (6 so far)

Listen to

11%   Full Albums

63%   Select Playlist

26%   Radio/Sirius/Pandora

Listening Device Usage

31%   Personal device (phone/ipad/laptop) with ear buds

58%   Wireless speakers

11%   Wired System (Stereo/TV)

Congratulations on all your success  :thumbup:
sorry that's pretty douchy sounding in hindsight

the point is i'm an audiophile geek that is willing to blow money on stereos/speakers over the years.   I started accumulating these components in the 90's.   I'm such a geek about it that when i started digitizing and taking recordings from analog to digital i converted everything to WAV files for zero compression (lossless) audio files.   While its true you retain the original sound quality/depth by doing that, a 6 minute song is like 20-40MB.   Not the ideal way to store large amounts of music.   My phone has 18gb of music files on it jsut from stuff i transferred from my computer to the phone.    If i had more money i'd blow $50,000 on better speakers, bigger amps and better recordings.    I love stereo stuff.   Just can't afford to really love it

One of the coolest stereo geek things i ever went through was my dads old Marantz tube amp.   It was in his garage collecting dust, i said "Dad, why don't use use this?" He says it doesn't work anymore.   Dad, can i have it?  I'll fix it.    

"Sure kid. "

I took that to my stereo store and they fixed it as new for $200.   In todays world that deck is probably worth $800-1000 for nostalgia reasons, but I didn't care about that.   I cared about having this really #######g loud deck hooked up to my modern hi end speakers.  I wanted to see the difference between old school analog/raw power   vs modern digital/smoothed amps.

Immediate difference,  old amp almost blew my woofers.    There's no cutoff and the base is more midrange centered and wants to "pop" your woofers.   Along those lines an 80 Watt tube amp was much louder than a 200 Watt Denon digital processor amp.  All i can say is it seemed like riding a wild stallion vs a tame pony.  I can see why people blew their speakers alot in the 70's and 80's.

A few months go by and my stoner brother comes over to visit and asks if i'll loan him the Marantz for a little while as he moved into a new apartment and had no stereo.   I said sure.  Big mistake.   He sold it and bought drugs.    Oh well.

the point is i'm an audiophile geek that is willing to blow money on stereos/speakers over the years. 
so as a total listening percentage what are your percentages (understanding you can't listen to your big system everywhere ...)

earbuds with your phone/ipad - xx%

wireless speakers (like a free standing speaker not your stereo system) - xx%

your premier stereo system - xx%

1)  list your age range by decade - 20s, 30s, 40s, etc.

30s

2)  Divide your music listening into three categories below by estimated percentage (should add up to 100%)

- full album ...start to finish 25%

- custom playlist stuff 40%

- pandora-type mix the "system" has created 35%

- phone/ipad with earbuds 20%

- wireless speakers 60%

- wired stereo system set up 20%

----

I'm kind of all over the place. I enjoy listening to full albums and like to listen to new ones that come out each week. 

In that same kind of new music discovery mode, I listen to a lot of custom playlists of new music as well as the Sirius XMU/Alt Nation types for new music. 

But around the house it's more my own created playlists that I listen to day to day. 

I listen on headphones at night or when I'm running, wireless speakers for most of the new music, blasting around the house etc day to day and on the weekend, I'm more likely to bring out the wired system and some vinyl. 

sorry that's pretty douchy sounding in hindsight

the point is i'm an audiophile geek that is willing to blow money on stereos/speakers over the years.   I started accumulating these components in the 90's.   I'm such a geek about it that when i started digitizing and taking recordings from analog to digital i converted everything to WAV files for zero compression (lossless) audio files.   While its true you retain the original sound quality/depth by doing that, a 6 minute song is like 20-40MB.   Not the ideal way to store large amounts of music.   My phone has 18gb of music files on it jsut from stuff i transferred from my computer to the phone.    If i had more money i'd blow $50,000 on better speakers, bigger amps and better recordings.    I love stereo stuff.   Just can't afford to really love it

One of the coolest stereo geek things i ever went through was my dads old Marantz tube amp.   It was in his garage collecting dust, i said "Dad, why don't use use this?" He says it doesn't work anymore.   Dad, can i have it?  I'll fix it.    

"Sure kid. "

I took that to my stereo store and they fixed it as new for $200.   In todays world that deck is probably worth $800-1000 for nostalgia reasons, but I didn't care about that.   I cared about having this really #######g loud deck hooked up to my modern hi end speakers.  I wanted to see the difference between old school analog/raw power   vs modern digital/smoothed amps.

Immediate difference,  old amp almost blew my woofers.    There's no cutoff and the base is more midrange centered and wants to "pop" your woofers.   Along those lines an 80 Watt tube amp was much louder than a 200 Watt Denon digital processor amp.  All i can say is it seemed like riding a wild stallion vs a tame pony.  I can see why people blew their speakers alot in the 70's and 80's.

A few months go by and my stoner brother comes over to visit and asks if i'll loan him the Marantz for a little while as he moved into a new apartment and had no stereo.   I said sure.  Big mistake.   He sold it and bought drugs.    Oh well.
Just busting your balls man, that's cool. Back in the 80's i was that dude that had the stereo and the music collection. Drove a '76 Monte Carlo that got about 5 miles to the gallon and and had about 15 cassette cases in the back seat.

As to the highlighted, had a girlfriend who had a brother that was into the high end stereo stuff. I blew my speakers and couldn't afford to replace them so for my birthday she bought me a new set on the recommendation of her brother. So I get them set up and they are nice, sound good, yada yada. Keep in mind I'm in college and into hair metal so as soon as she leaves, me and the boys put on something loud & obnoxious and turn it up to 11. Blew both as soon as the first chord was struck. Ran down to Radio Shack, bought some cheap replacements and rebuilt them so next time she came over they at least didn't sound like ####. Ah good times...

so as a total listening percentage what are your percentages (understanding you can't listen to your big system everywhere ...)

earbuds with your phone/ipad - xx%

wireless speakers (like a free standing speaker not your stereo system) - xx%

your premier stereo system - xx%
no earbuds, hate 'em.   

wireless 10% 

computer/car  wired  70%

home theater/stereo 20%  

Users who are viewing this thread