What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

3-4 vs 4-3 defense list for 2020 season (1 Viewer)

This is precisely why it's important to go to true positions. No one's sure enough to list them definitively. But I'll try:

3-4: AZ, TB, CHI, BAL, PIT, GB

Hybrid leaning 3-4: LAR (? New DC with no experience coordinating an NFL D), DET, NYG, NE, MIA, TEN, DEN

Hybrid leaning 4-3: CAR (New DC with no experience coordinating an NFL D), NO, DAL, NYJ, JAX, HOU, CIN, CLE (? new DC)

4-3: SEA, SF, ATL, MIN (altho Zimmer has hired Tom Capers for some reason...), PHI, WAS, BUF, IND, KC, LAC, LVR

Wide open to revisions from the group...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great, a few comments:

DET, MIA, NEP are so far recently deemed 4-3 for IDP leagues that I’ve seen

DAL sending signals they will be a 3-4 but I haven’t seen that reflected in IDP leagues yet

JAX some hints I’ve heard they could be a 3-4 but nothing IDP league wise

NYJ & HOU seem to be deemed 3-4 everywhere I look...agree in real life lean hybrid for sure

yes....this is getting more difficult each year to determine....we need EDGE used in all IDP leagues to help alleviate most of the changes year to year

Cleveland will be a hybrid, but for our game's sake the edge guys will be DE no matter what platform you use. The only LB's on the roster with much game experience are Mack Wilson (it wasn't good) and BJ Goodson, who was basically only signed as a vet presence contingency plan should the young guys flop. Depending on how things go I could even see some 5-2 in this team's short term future. Point is, the edge guys will be DE and the inside guys won't typically line up at nose - they all will be in point production positions.

thx guys, I am using MFL, not sure how they define the team defenses before they decide between, DT, DE or LB (we do not use Edge designation)

As of 2019, MFL's position designations are no longer firmly routed in whether a team plays 3-4 or 4-3 base. Prior to 2019, Rotoworld depth charts fed MFL position designations. That's how they did it.

Starting in 2019, Fantasy Sharks took over from Rotoworld. Fantasy Sharks claim they won't necessarily allow base sets to define position designations and would look at players in subpackages as well. (Keep in mind there are well over 1,000 defenders on NFL rosters in August.) 

The result has been numerous players across multiple teams who play pretty much the same role with different position designations on MFL. Most of these were due to inaction - Day 3 rookies, lower level vets who changed teams, but especially scheme changes. They've all but admitted they're befuddled by hybrids. They seem snowed by misinformation from NFL teams. This post is getting long now, so I'll stop. 

Philly, I'd tell you to keep up with depth charts at FantasySharks.com. At least you'll be aware of position designation changes a few days before they arrive on MFL.

Users who are viewing this thread