What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reopening amid the coronavirus (1 Viewer)

jamny

Footballguy
With so many posters from so many different parts of the country and the world, I thought it would be interesting and informative to share your experiences from your area. How things are being handled, concerns about danger signs in stats, how things have changed for the better or worse as we go through this process.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good portion of NY State has already begun partial reopening. NYC and Long Island seem poised to begin Phase 1 next week. May 28th ends what is known as NY Pause and I doubt Coumo will extend it again so it's a good bet that the whole state will be in Phase 1 by then. Mask wearing is extremely high here and I'm curious to see how quickly that changes. 

Five Days into Phase 2 of 4 phases.   Salons and restaurants opened up this week to strict guidelines.  All appears well.  $300 mil in grants for small biz to apply for. Grants.  Self-employed like me can apply a week from today for a $7500 grant.   Idaho numbers have been at the same level for 8 weeks now.  Around 20 new cases per day.

We are opening in Phase 2 here in NC.  So that means limited capacities for Dine-in eating, hair and nail salons, churches, pools.  No mandatory face coverings for employees.

Northern VA.  Technically many things are not supposed to be open until May 29.  I'm not sure anyone is listening anymore.  But 99% of people are using masks and 50% of people wear gloves.  I think people are pretty much acting smart about it.  I don't get why anyone would not wear a mask no matter where they live.  So it's not full proof.  But it's better than not using it.  I might stick with it forever.  I think it looks pretty damn cool.

Washington State in phase 1 of reopening.  Restaurants take-out only.   Can golf.  State parks open for day use.   Governor getting sued to reopen schools, which would be the dumbest thing ever since we've already changed all of the grading for the year based on being out the rest of the year, and they'd get out in three weeks anyway.  

Mask wearing varies greatly depending on where you are.  At my nearest grocery store, I'd put it at 95%.   Heard from others on this board that about 10 miles north it's more like 50% or less.   

Not sure on the specifics here in SE Michigan. No restaurants are open for any in house service. The local Starbucks opened back up, but it's online orders only. You can't go inside. Lowe's and Home Depot are very busy but 95% masks. I am still mostly chillin at home as much as possible because why risk it? Not like I am missing anything. I am working from home, spending a lot of time doing yard work, working out a lot and going for long walks. 

Washington State in phase 1 of reopening.  Restaurants take-out only.   Can golf.  State parks open for day use.   Governor getting sued to reopen schools, which would be the dumbest thing ever since we've already changed all of the grading for the year based on being out the rest of the year, and they'd get out in three weeks anyway.  

Mask wearing varies greatly depending on where you are.  At my nearest grocery store, I'd put it at 95%.   Heard from others on this board that about 10 miles north it's more like 50% or less.   
My friend is a business administrator for a school district and of all the headaches of trying to open schools up safely, I never even thought of the one item that may be the most difficult of all: bussing. For districts that bus, how the heck do you get everyone to school while trying to keep social distancing, or make sure kids wear masks, or make sure surfaces are cleaned and disinfected? Trying to figure that out seems like a nightmare. 

I might stick with it forever.  I think it looks pretty damn cool.
Seriously, I swear I've gotten more "looks" from 20-something checkout women than 50 year old me would ever get before. Maybe it's because you almost have to make eye contact now.

I choose to believe it's not because I can't see their :mellow: or frown face.

My friend is a business administrator for a school district and of all the headaches of trying to open schools up safely, I never even thought of the one item that may be the most difficult of all: bussing. For districts that bus, how the heck do you get everyone to school while trying to keep social distancing, or make sure kids wear masks, or make sure surfaces are cleaned and disinfected? Trying to figure that out seems like a nightmare. 
For next year they're talking about staggered schedules...half the grades go early, half the grades go late, so that the schools are at half capacity the whole time.   If each bus were also carrying half as many kids, I guess that's the best they could do.

I manage a retail shop in southern Cali. We are technically a phase 2 shop so we are open for curbside--and drop offs and pick ups.  Our shop requires a mask for entry (i dont know if that is a county wide requirement--but we are making it a requirement for entry as we cannot afford risking an exposure that could lead to employees being quarantined and us being shut down again).   We basically allow two customers in the shop at the same time and we'll stagger where we help them (one on the left side of the store towards the front), one on the right side towards the back of the showroom.  We implement pretty strict sterlization protocols (most of which were designed and executed by me).  I will use uv-c lights before we open and after we close to sanitize the shop on top of wiping things down regularly.   I will put pens, items that we work on and repair in a uv-c chamber so for our protection and our customers protection.  

Overall--things have been good with the exception of a few customers that don't seem to understand that our mask requirement is not negotiable and that don't seem to understand social distancing.  I had a customer literally try to walk up to me to take her necklace off for cleaning--and I took several steps back and told her that she'd have to take the necklace off herself as we have to abide by distancing protocols .

I manage a retail shop in southern Cali. We are technically a phase 2 shop so we are open for curbside--and drop offs and pick ups.  Our shop requires a mask for entry (i dont know if that is a county wide requirement--but we are making it a requirement for entry as we cannot afford risking an exposure that could lead to employees being quarantined and us being shut down again).   We basically allow two customers in the shop at the same time and we'll stagger where we help them (one on the left side of the store towards the front), one on the right side towards the back of the showroom.  We implement pretty strict sterlization protocols (most of which were designed and executed by me).  I will use uv-c lights before we open and after we close to sanitize the shop on top of wiping things down regularly.   I will put pens, items that we work on and repair in a uv-c chamber so for our protection and our customers protection.  

Overall--things have been good with the exception of a few customers that don't seem to understand that our mask requirement is not negotiable and that don't seem to understand social distancing.  I had a customer literally try to walk up to me to take her necklace off for cleaning--and I took several steps back and told her that she'd have to take the necklace off herself as we have to abide by distancing protocols .
I assume that businesses have to take lawsuits into consideration. I know customer safety is a priority but is there also the thinking that if someone catches the virus in your store, you'd be much better off defending yourself if you followed all the protocols?

Here in Massachusetts, we are about to enter phase 1 of a 4 phase plan.

My wife and I work at a local library.  We are going to start with curb side pick up only, for a few weeks.  After that, the doors will be open but the amount of patrons allowed inside will be limited.

My wife and I have spent some of our virus down time re configuring the library's computer physical set up so that no patrons or employees will be with in 6 feet of each other when using a computer.

Ive found it quite varying in terms of what businesses are doing...and how people are acting.

Ive pointed out a few in the past..the biggest difference in people..

-Nashville/Davidson Co...just about a week and a half now into phase 1.  It seems there are a higher percentage of people wearing masks.  Customers I will say...I don't think its too surprising since Nashville was the most affected by this in the state.

-Mount Juliet and Lebanon/Wilson Co...I live close to the edge of Davidson bordering Wilson county...so I venture there for certain things...we pick up prescriptions there, usually shop there (but now the Kroger in Davidson that is about the same distance as the one in MJ...just more of a pain to drive to...but it handles curbside better IMO so I shop there)...anyway, they are like 3 and a half weeks...they had a surge of people going out when they first opened up, but that may have dropped off a little bit.  People there seem less apt to be wearing masks in the times I have been out.  Same in Lebanon.

-Varying counties east of here from Carthage to Cookeville.  Been that way once to fish, once to pick up a generator as Lowes in Cookeville was the only place near here with one a few weeks ago.  Definitely fewer people in masks there.  Workers seemed 80% in masks...but it didn't appear 100% to me...the people that loaded the generator into my car in the curbside thing were not wearing masks.  I had to go in for some longer extension cords and not all inside were either...but most)  These areas not hit bad at all.  The gas station around Carthage...it was as if people didn't know or care about the virus.  Older gentleman still sitting around a table with their coffee as they always seemed to be prior to it...workers in the gas station not in masks.

Cue up the doomsdayers from the covid thread,coming in here to say "stay home stay home 2nd wave coming", blah blah blah 

We were really never "shut down" by any meaningful measure here in Florida.  Small businesses, personal wellness, barbershops/hair salons, nail places were targeted and the parks are closed causing hotels to go to skeleton crews, but the parks did that on their own.  The parks and parking lots attached to beaches were closed, but the beaches themselves (with a couple exceptions) were open.  Restaurants were takeout/delivery only.  Bars, nightclubs and gyms are closed (I think that's still true).

As of today, all the things that were "shut down" have been open now for almost two weeks at limited capacity except for bars, nightclubs, gyms.  Should also point out we are seeing a hotspot forming in the Belle Glade area where the hospital is at 95% capacity and hundreds coming in each day to get checked out.  Most are being sent home to manage at home.

jamny said:
With so many posters from so many different parts of the country and the world, I thought it would be interesting and informative to share your experiences from your area. How things are being handled, concerns about danger signs in stats, how things have changed for the better or worse as we go through this process.
Here in Wisconsin the Governor and the Republicans in the Senate couldn't agree on what type of restrictions to have on opening so we are the "Wild, Wild West"..

Some counties have thrown up their hands and said "Good Luck, stay safe".. Others have implemented their own lockdowns.. Complete cluster..

Guess we will find out in a week or two how things go...  :oldunsure:  

Here in Wisconsin the Governor and the Republicans in the Senate couldn't agree on what type of restrictions to have on opening so we are the "Wild, Wild West"..

Some counties have thrown up their hands and said "Good Luck, stay safe".. Others have implemented their own lockdowns.. Complete cluster..

It's not as if reasonable federal guidelines haven't been put in place. Here in NYC, we've been locked down almost the longest and probably the tightest and people have, for the most part, been very good at letting the guidelines play out and reopen carefully. While it's a little frustrating considering that the only 2 metrics that have not been reached for NYC are beds and ICU bed availability, it's the rule and lets just get there and start. I'm also happy to see Idaho continuing to follow the guidelines and stick to what they laid out. We're flying to Boise on Saturday and am interested in how different it will be there.

It's not as if reasonable federal guidelines haven't been put in place. Here in NYC, we've been locked down almost the longest and probably the tightest and people have, for the most part, been very good at letting the guidelines play out and reopen carefully. While it's a little frustrating considering that the only 2 metrics that have not been reached for NYC are beds and ICU bed availability, it's the rule and lets just get there and start. I'm also happy to see Idaho continuing to follow the guidelines and stick to what they laid out. We're flying to Boise on Saturday and am interested in how different it will be there.
Ha....I'm old enough to remember when those guidelines were all the rage.  Now?  They are an afterthought.  Last I heard you could count on both hands the number of states satisfying those guidelines and that was with the vagueness playing in their favor.

I assume that businesses have to take lawsuits into consideration. I know customer safety is a priority but is there also the thinking that if someone catches the virus in your store, you'd be much better off defending yourself if you followed all the protocols?
Patients entering my clinics are all signing liability waivers. 

Here in Massachusetts, we are about to enter phase 1 of a 4 phase plan.

My wife and I work at a local library.  We are going to start with curb side pick up only, for a few weeks.  After that, the doors will be open but the amount of patrons allowed inside will be limited.

My wife and I have spent some of our virus down time re configuring the library's computer physical set up so that no patrons or employees will be with in 6 feet of each other when using a computer.
Good luck getting to Phase 4. What exactly will still be a no go by then? Concerts? Large gatherings? Sporting events? The governor didn’t exactly describe what Phase 4 entails, other than it will be the “new normal” and it won’t be until after there’s a vaccine that is widely available. 

Had to go to a bank by Queens Center mall. It's in a largely Hispanic population neighborhood. Probably saw 200 people with nearly 99% mask wearers. I haven't been in a densely populated area since this all began and I was pretty surprised at the compliance.

In Denmark things are a good ways back to what it was before Covid-19. It's easier to list what's closed (and will stay closed for the next couple of weeks) than what's opened or opening.

Still restricted is international travel but business travel will open up soon (we'll see if there are guidelines attached, this was just negotiated between the parties in parliament yday night)

Still max ten people together, plans to increasde that in a few weeks time

Keep 1m distance from everyone else (down from 2m as the models didn't show any difference whether 1m or 2m)

Restaurants and bars just reopened (based the 1m and 10 people guidelines)

Fitness centres are still closed I believe, as are discos, nightclubs, concerthalls, and all music festivals over the summer have been canceled

I think places of worship may open again soon on the basis of the 1m and 10 person rules 

The calculated R number is down to 0.6 but everyone knows it's bound to increase now. We still aim to keep it below 1.

ETA: Nothing about masks anywhere. You hardly see them

That is one of the issues with the "7 metrics". The hospital bed % and ICU bed % available shouldn't be a hard stop. The city has 27% of hospital beds available, and 26% of ICU beds. A couple of more days of net hospitalizations decreasing and it's there, or a rise in bed capacity if needed and it's there. "Oh, but 27% isn't 30%?" The truth is the city needs 10 days-two more weeks, Long Island needs another week. But a couple of percentage points is the hold up? That's not going to fly with people soon. "You need 5,000 beds, you only have 4,800 sorry" isn't so logical when hospitalizations are decreasing obviously. The 7 metrics are good guidelines, especially when they first came out, but now it's 3 regions left and 3 metrics left. Let's focus and get this done and not get hung up on being too "perfect" with the data. 

That is one of the issues with the "7 metrics". The hospital bed % and ICU bed % available shouldn't be a hard stop. The city has 27% of hospital beds available, and 26% of ICU beds. A couple of more days of net hospitalizations decreasing and it's there, or a rise in bed capacity if needed and it's there. "Oh, but 27% isn't 30%?" The truth is the city needs 10 days-two more weeks, Long Island needs another week. But a couple of percentage points is the hold up? That's not going to fly with people soon. "You need 5,000 beds, you only have 4,800 sorry" isn't so logical when hospitalizations are decreasing obviously. The 7 metrics are good guidelines, especially when they first came out, but now it's 3 regions left and 3 metrics left. Let's focus and get this done and not get hung up on being too "perfect" with the data. 
Totally agree. People have been very compliant here. I can't imagine Cuomo extending Pause again on the 28th. I think both Long Island and NYC will get to Phase 1 next week.

San Francisco's phased reopening is happening slowly.  On Monday, non-essential retail stores were allowed to reopen for pickup and delivery only.  Only a handful of stores in my neighborhood have done so, presumably ones that already had an established web presence.

Masks are mandatory in essential businesses with no apparent issues in the few places I've been.  Construction crews have masks but a lot of guys have them down around their chin.  When I walk around the neighborhood, I'd say more than half of people are masked.

In the past week or so, the city has begun to broadly publicize drop in testing sites.  In April, these were targeted at neighborhoods with higher incidence but the program has been expanded citywide.  There are posters everywhere and flyers were dropped off on porches and mailboxes. 

https://www.wisn.com/article/wisconsin-sets-new-record-for-single-day-jump-in-coronavirus-cases/32621461#

not so super!

Users who are viewing this thread