What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen King's, The Stand (1 Viewer)

Love the book, sure I’ll hate this. Ive come to realize that King stories rarely translate. 
For his big books I agree, the Dark Tower movie was absolutely abysmal. But the mini series angle here gives me hope.  Gives them time to fully explore it.  

For his big books I agree, the Dark Tower movie was absolutely abysmal. But the mini series angle here gives me hope.  Gives them time to fully explore it.  
Most individual books have a hard time translating into 120 minutes on screen. Was pretty easy to see that train wreck coming. 

Among The Living

Disease! Disease! Spreading the disease.
With some help from Captain Trips,
He'll bring the world down to his knees.
Power, yes Power! He'll show them all his power.

It pulses through his ice cold blood,
A whole world to devour!
Bridge He's seeing, he's calling, his legacy he's spawning.
He's coming, corrupting, among the living!

Murder! Murder! Commit cold blooded murder!
Like Nazis during World War Two, they only follow orders.
Hatred! Hatred! A crucifix is your bed,
Once he turns his eye on you, you'll be better off dead!

I'm the walkin' dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, I'm the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!
Man, fights Man! Divided they can't stand!

United, they can battle back, and make him force his hand!
Fear, yes fear! His end is growing near,
He didn't count on Man's good faith,
And their will to persevere.

Follow me or die!
Fire! Hot fire! Purge the world with fire!!
Damnation is the price he'll pay, for an evil man's desire!
Good, versus evil! The stand to vanquish evil!
Man can only live one way, that place right in the middle.

Follow me or die!

I loved the old mini-series. I’m sure it’s a bit dated now, but it was a solid mini series. I never read the book so not sure how well it translates but I think the mini-series itself was really good. It doesn’t need to be HBO like, because it wasn’t really that graphics intensive. Definitely more character driven and I could see this being a solid reboot. 

I read it back in 90 as a student in Boulder but during the summer when I was up in Alaska so seeing references to Boulder was comforting.

The book is too long.  The entire over-dramatic and quite boring part that goes nearly 100 pages on the Holland Tunnel was tedious to the point I nearly quit reading.  

Interesting plot though.

The plot centers on a pandemic of a weaponized strain of influenza that kills almost the entire world population.

I loved the old mini-series. I’m sure it’s a bit dated now, but it was a solid mini series. I never read the book so not sure how well it translates but I think the mini-series itself was really good. It doesn’t need to be HBO like, because it wasn’t really that graphics intensive. Definitely more character driven and I could see this being a solid reboot. 
1) I also enjoyed the first mini-series. 

2) READ THE BOOK!!!

1) I also enjoyed the first mini-series. 

2) READ THE BOOK!!!
Saving myself for the real GOT’s ending. I never was a huge book guy, but I’ve only got 5 more pre-college kid years left. I have a feeling I’ll be doing a bit more reading then. Hopefully, I’ll last long enough to enjoy some retirement!

Saving myself for the real GOT’s ending. I never was a huge book guy, but I’ve only got 5 more pre-college kid years left. I have a feeling I’ll be doing a bit more reading then. Hopefully, I’ll last long enough to enjoy some retirement!
I have tried three times to read GOT. I've not made it further than 200 pages in. George R. R. Martin is the king of bloat, Stephen King merely a count or duke.

I have tried three times to read GOT. I've not made it further than 200 pages in. George R. R. Martin is the king of bloat, Stephen King merely a count or duke.
Wow, that surprises me.  Yes, he gets a little windy with the food descriptions, bit I cant remember any time in the first 3 books where I was bored or wanted him to get on with it.  Imo nowhere near as bad a King when he meanders for 100 pages without stuff happening.  

My favorite book - the original mini series was pretty good - much better than the series on It......always thought it would be great as an HBO series - hopefully they dont censor too much but it definitely is character driven....and boy is it going to be interesting to see during/after this mess!

M-O-O-N - that spells cant wait!!!!  

My favorite book - the original mini series was pretty good - much better than the series on It......always thought it would be great as an HBO series - hopefully they dont censor too much but it definitely is character driven....and boy is it going to be interesting to see during/after this mess!

I hope they use the same opening music. Might be one of the best song choices in a TV show/movie.

Yep. I may pay to see Contagion. I've always had interest in this subject even before now.

Yeah, the movie cut out the entire inner dialogue on the author’s struggle with addiction. That made the story a lot leaner which helped the transition to the screen. 
And Kathy Bates was just terrific.  So was Caan, but really, that helped launch Bates' career.  I think.  

Not according to King it didn't.  ;)
True enough. IIRC, King's main issue is that the movie changed the ending (not exactly uncommon in Hollywood adaptations) and that it didn't show the warmth of the family - and Jack Torrence in particular.

What I thought absolutely translated was the chilling descent into madness, and translating some truly bizarre scenes on the page to the screen. Kubrick also did a pretty good job in conveying some abstract concepts -- like Danny being overtaken by "Tony" (kudos to the boy actor as well) and what the Shining is and does -- really well.

True enough. IIRC, King's main issue is that the movie changed the ending (not exactly uncommon in Hollywood adaptations) and that it didn't show the warmth of the family - and Jack Torrence in particular.

What I thought absolutely translated was the chilling descent into madness, and translating some truly bizarre scenes on the page to the screen. Kubrick also did a pretty good job in conveying some abstract concepts -- like Danny being overtaken by "Tony" (kudos to the boy actor as well) and what the Shining is and does -- really well.
I think one of Kings big beefs was in the movie Jack already felt unhinged at the start of the flick.  

Users who are viewing this thread