What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen King's, The Stand (1 Viewer)

I'm shocked anyone would pay for CBS all access. CBS should be ashamed charging anyone for anything. 
This is my issue to. I love Stephen King and I love The Stand. I will have to find another way to see it or skip it. Same is going on with Liseys Story which I believe will be Apple TV. We starting to get nickel and dimed to death with all these tv subs.

I have tried three times to read GOT. I've not made it further than 200 pages in. George R. R. Martin is the king of bloat, Stephen King merely a count or duke.
I tried to and I really wanted to like it. So many friends and people who's opinion I respect love it. I don't think I made it to 200 pages. The other book I really want to like but can't get past 100 pages is Dune.

Now I love King and have no idea what you guys are talking about his bloating. I have never felt that with King.

I guess it is all just personal preference/opinion.

Dunno.  Feel that way with Dark Tower.  Rave reviews on that series, but I had to tap out mid book 3.  
Dark Tower is my favorite series of all time. I have read it three times and probably listened to it another four. Some days were bad walking into work wiping tears away because I hit some sad stuff on the audio version. Crazy how attached I got to those characters. Dog I have now is named Shemie and the one that passed was Oy. :cry:

Dark Tower is my favorite series of all time. I have read it three times and probably listened to it another four. Some days were bad walking into work wiping tears away because I hit some sad stuff on the audio version. Crazy how attached I got to those characters. Dog I have now is named Shemie and the one that passed was Oy. :cry:
One of those things that I am sort of ashamed of is the first thought I had when S King was hit by the van. I absolutely went right to he did not finish The Dark Tower and now what? I then had a good cry because at the time I thought my favorite author who I am pretty sure knows me was dead.

I still feel bad about that first thought.

I tried to and I really wanted to like it. So many friends and people who's opinion I respect love it. I don't think I made it to 200 pages. The other book I really want to like but can't get past 100 pages is Dune.

Now I love King and have no idea what you guys are talking about his bloating. I have never felt that with King.

I guess it is all just personal preference/opinion.
Like you said, personal preference and all.  I think I get sucked into the quick pace and multiple character chapters of Song of Ice and Fire series.  Book 3 is long as hell, but never feels it to me and is one of my favorites I've read in some time.   Like I said GRRM loves his food descriptions, but what is that - a page or two?  I also wanna vomit in my mouth with the overuse of "seed" in the sex scenes.  

I think King is best when he is reigned and to under 500 or so pages.   This is not the proper word, but for lack of a better one, sometimes when I read his stuff now it feels a bit immature.  This is how I felt reading the Dark Tower books - between 'Detta's language, some of the descriptions like the lobstrocities (?), I dunno - it was just too much for me, and I new I still had 1000s of pages to go and talking trains, King inserting himself in the story.  Couldn't pull the trigger on more time spent on that.  

I also feels like he has nuggets of great ideas but has trouble connecting them for some reason.  

Users who are viewing this thread