What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best live album ever - whatcha got? (1 Viewer)

I want to at least feel like I’m at a concert if I can’t be at one. Listening to Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East right now. Need other nominations for my play list this weekend. What’s your #1?
You nailed my #1. Hands down the best ever live album, and my favorite band.

Others in my Top 5:

Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom

BB King, Live at Cook County

The Who, Live at Leeds

Sam Cooke, Live at the Harlem Square Club

Honorary mentions:

• Will always have a soft spot for Frampton Comes Alive - what a gd performance.
  • Bob Seger, Live Bullet - just an incredible musician and band when they are live
  • Everyone loves the Stones' Get Yer Ya-Yas Out, but I prefer their Brussels Affair
  • Springsteen 75-85 likely doesn't count as it's a box set, but man is that golden and treasured part of my vinyl
  • Ditto with The Band's Last Waltz -- one of the best assemblies of talent on a stage ever, but can't really count it as it's not just The Band. Love it

While one of my favorite albums of all time is Iron Maiden “Live After Death”, the live vibe was captured perfectly on Iron Maiden’s “Rock In Rio”. Over 200,000 fans in attendance, at points carrying the melody of songs with their singing. It’s a double album, so if you’re not a big fan, it may be a bit too much, but check out “Fear of the Dark” off of that album to get a taste of sitting there live. The Intro into “Wicker Man” is amazing as well.  :headbang:

Unfortunately, not Marvin Gaye at the Kennedy Center in 1972.

There's a huge draft going on where several have been chosen, and there are two real notables that haven't.

Undrafted ones at spoiler. Don't click if you draft!

Kick Out The Jams by the MC5 and Cheap Trick at Budokan are missing

Last edited by a moderator:

There's a huge draft going on where several have been chosen, and there are two real notables that haven't.

Yeah, trying not to spotlight here.

Although I did draft Thin Lizzy's Live And Dangerous, so I'll throw that one out as one of the better live rock albums.

Yeah, trying not to spotlight here.

Although I did draft Thin Lizzy's Live And Dangerous, so I'll throw that one out as one of the better live rock albums.
Thin Lizzy really is an underrated band, per the discussion in that thread. I only know the "hits," but Ted Leo and the Pharmacists did such a good and thoughtful cover of "Little Girl In Bloom" that I was hooked by both cover and original. I love the outtro to the song...

This feels like a set-up

Nope. I edited to add that. I think if you click, you'll be so disappointed that they're still there in Round 28 (or what have you) and you can't draft them with a clear conscience.

(I kid, of course).

This, however, is the most tempting of set-ups like that. To a cat, no less.

https://vimeo.com/126720159
lol

Not your post, the whole thread

Ramones "It's Alive"

MC5 "Kick out the Jams"

Who "Live at Leeds"

Bad Brains "Live at the Fillmore"

The Kinks "One for the Road"

Dylan’s “Royal Albert Hall” - Dylan and the band (lower caps, but some upper caps) and the crowd going back at each other. Crowd heckling and the “Judas” shout, with Dylan telling them to play even louder.

There are other concerts I like more but Phish "A Live One" seems to fit the genre you're asking for.  

U2 Live at Red Rocks was a classic I've not yet seen mentioned.  

MAC_32 said:
A week ago I thought it was Folsom alone at the top, but now I think there's competition.
I’m about to drop another that I think rivals JB and the FF. If you like Cash, it’s right in that wheel house.

Niel Diamond - Hot August Night

Honorable mention (single performance) Elton John - Bennie and the Jets

MindCrime said:
While one of my favorite albums of all time is Iron Maiden “Live After Death”, the live vibe was captured perfectly on Iron Maiden’s “Rock In Rio”. Over 200,000 fans in attendance, at points carrying the melody of songs with their singing. It’s a double album, so if you’re not a big fan, it may be a bit too much, but check out “Fear of the Dark” off of that album to get a taste of sitting there live. The Intro into “Wicker Man” is amazing as well.  :headbang:
This.

Beat me to it

"If you're feeling down, depressed and lonely . . . . . "

:headbang:

Hard to narrow it down.  In no particular order.

Rush All The World's A Stage

All the good early stuff. 

UFO Strangers in the night

Michael Schenker is a mad man

REO Speedwagon You Get What You Play For

All early stuff before they wussed out. Gary Richrath severely underrated

Led Zeppelin The Song Remains the Same

Although I prefer bootlegs that are from 1977 that include stuff from Physical and Presence

MindCrime said:
GREAT call out. Maiden live -- the whole band, from Bruce's lyrics to the searing guitar harmonies and impeccable drive and timing of the drums and base -- is just as good live as it is produced in studio.

On the opposite side of the talent/musicianship/hard rocking spectrum is a band like KISS, who was always more about marketing than music. But I have to hand it to them, their KISS Alive! live album is great.

I honestly cannot fathom why one of those albums in the spoiler has not been picked. It's a fantastic one, and constantly brought up as one of the best live albums of all time.

MAC_32 said:
A week ago I thought it was Folsom alone at the top, but now I think there's competition.
If you are into albums recorded in jails, go listen to BB King Live at Cook County. 

If you are into R&B, check out Sam Cooke Live at the Harlem Square Club. Aretha Franklin had a great live album in Live at the Fillmore West. 

J. Geils 'Blow Your Face Out'

J. Geils Band - Musta Got Lost Live w/ Intro

The Original Bad Boys of Boston: The J. Geils Band's famous live version, with front-man Peter Wolf's spoken, rap-like, intro to one of their greatest hits. From the 1976 landmark "Blow Your Face Out", a live album that came out at the least a good 3 years before the first Hip-Hop song "Rapper's Delight" by The Sugarhill Gang landed on the Billboard charts. Of course, this wasn't the first "Rap," but perhaps the most unique aspect about this song was that it was released a few years before Rap as a new genre arrived in the mainstream. Rap has been around for a long time, the music just did not get popular on the national level until the 80's. Therefore, this song was no doubt ahead of it's time!

Wolf was always and still is a crazy lead singer and showman. He's known for his funny stories and epic introductions. He used to be a radio DJ for the beloved - and no longer on radio airwaves -104.1 WBCN BOS station in the 60's before he joined JGB. "Woofa Goofa," Mama Toofa was his radio personality. This here is a classic rock staple and years ahead of its time. It's even "genres" ahead of it's time. Only so many songs in all of pop can claim such a unique feat!

MindCrime said:
You beat me to this.  And another poster beat me to saying that.   Maiden is incredible live.   I was blown away in the mid 80s and every time that I saw them after.   I grew up with Live after Death but Rock in Rio is even better.   Fear of the Dark is a better live song than studio song.  The energy of the show makes that song soar.   

The won’t be a popular selection but the one I find myself listening to the most is Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds live at Radio City 2007.  

Aretha at the Fillmore West

Jerry Lee Lewis at the Star Club, Hamburg

Otis Redding at Monterrey Pop (which is really half an LP as the other side is Hendrix at least on the copy I had at my old college radio station)

EDIT: Can't believe I left out Dr. John's Trippin Live

Not an official album but Radiohead live at canal+ from 2001. All kid a and amnesiac songs w an encore of Neil Young's cinnamon girl

Stop making sense talking heads

LCD Soundsystem long goodbye at msg

Another Radiohead that's not an actual album Bonnaroo 2006 

Low hanging fruit for Deadheads. Grateful Dead, Cornell May 8, 1977.
That’s a great show. This time of year when the weather warms up I love listening to this era of the dead. I was going to list “Europe ‘72”, the set list on that album is perfect springtime listening, as well as “reckoning”. “One from the vault” is also a solid listen.
I prefer the Brent Mydland era though, but the shows around that time can be hit or miss. “Without a net” being the easiest to come up with off the top of my head. The different eras of that band are so different, and you can actually hear the changes to technology if you pay attention- once the 80s hit jerry is using midi effects (bird song on without a net he plays a flute solo on the guitar, and is actually mimicking flute phrasings) and mydland is using all that synth, vs the 70s when they were playing piano/organ and bluegrass guitar. 

Users who are viewing this thread