What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bad Endings for Films - Spoilers Beware (2 Viewers)

Mr. Mojo

Footballguy
In the past, we've discussed many of the great endings for films, but how about some of the bad ones?

I don't necessarily mean that the film was bad, just the ending.

Here are a few that come to mind:

Titanic - Rose didn't share the piece of wood with Jack and even worse, she could have given the jewel to her family but gave it to....no one

Waterworld - the absurd bunjee grab

Fight Club - it started because Edward Norton was beating himself up in the parking lot???  (I know I'll catch some flack for this one from you fans)

Gone Girl - a good film with possibly the most absurd last 15 minutes imaginable

My mind always goes to one particular movie whenever this topic comes up. And while this one certainly isn't a great movie I thought it was very entertaining. All of the good vibrations experienced that accumulated throughout - poof - gone - in an instant. They were suddenly gone forever with this utterly preposterous ending.

Rat Race (the remake)

Finish this absurdity with the prostitute escaping with the loot and you have a cult classic. But, no. You had to finish at a ####### Smash Mouth concert with the maniacs giving the money away while singing along to All Star. I wish whoever was bought off to concoct that horrifically manufactured conclusion a fiery, painful death.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread may be too exasperating for me.

Let's start with the fact that theThe Titanic criticism has never, ahem, held water. If you watch close enough you'll see that he DID try getting on the debris (it's not even a door) but it nearly flips over when he does - as it was originally written in the script.

https://www.insider.com/jack-and-rose-werent-on-a-door-in-titanic-2019-7

And physics says the whole lot would have sunk even if he'd made it up there.

"Unfortunately, the size of the oak debris coupled with the weight of a sodden and hypothermic Rose on top could work, but not if you added Jack's additional weight to it. Since the Maritime Museum confirmed that the original wood paneling was indeed oak, this solution makes the most sense."

Now, as for Signs...

Let's start with the fact that theThe Titanic criticism has never, ahem, held water. If you watch close enough you'll see that he DID try getting on the debris (it's not even a door) but it nearly flips over when he does - as it was originally written in the script.
OK, but what about dropping the jewel overboard? Could that have been any dumber?

Because it was his anchor to civilization. It's what kept him from going completely mad. 
I understand that concept and know why he didn't open the package on the island (although it could have been a satellite phone to get him home).   I just hated that he never found out what was in the package once he delivered it.   I would have had to know. 

There were two times where I can remember leaving the theater angry:

(1) Back the Future II - Nothing was resolved.  I just spent $40 for me and a date and got to watch a 2 hour long trailer for Back to the Future III.  Come back in a year and watch the end!  

(2) Pretty Woman - It sucked me in and I thought there was going to be an original ending/movie because how many rich business guys fall deeply in love with a prostitute they hire for a weekend of fun?  This can't end well.  But no.  After Julia Roberts blathers on about how "When I was a little girl, I dreamed of a prince riding up on a white horse and taking me away..."  Oh, here comes Richard Gere driving up in his white limo looking like Prince Solicitation gathering Princess Prostitute just like in her dream.  How fricken' insipid and stupid.  I would've much preferred the ending in the original script.

I thought the premise of this thread was that the rest of the movie had to be good....

(Goes for Titanic too, for that matter)
Signs didn't immediately come to mind for me either for this reason.  That movie was ridiculous, not just the ending.

All The Right Moves

Cruise was a decent but not spectacular high school defensive back, yet gets a full 4-year college scholarship by his HS coach who is moving on. All because the coach feels guilty for wrongly cutting him from the team in Cruise's senior year. 

Love the movie, but the ending is ridiculous.   

No Country For Old Men

The Cohen's have the single greatest dialogue in film.  They are intimately aware of every nuance of their craft and the effect it has on the audience so they knew what they were doing at the end.

Basically mind-Fng the audience who had been with them every step of the way to the emptied rudderless crestfallen ending.  

Such a good flick up to that point, great scenes, acting, impeccable dialogue/characters/setting.  Everything magnifique but such a Lucy ripping the football out from under Charlie Brown ending.  Arghhhhhhhhhhh.

That would be a great Saturday Night Live skit.  Have the guys in the desert just waiting and waiting for the box and show Hanks on the island with the box just dripping and him wondering what is in it.  Then he eventually shows up late to the desert after everyone is gone wondering what to do with it.

All The Right Moves

Cruise was a decent but not spectacular high school defensive back, yet gets a full 4-year college scholarship by his HS coach who is moving on. All because the coach feels guilty for wrongly cutting him from the team in Cruise's senior year. 

Love the movie, but the ending is ridiculous.   
its not like it was Alabama :shrug:

i thought the end of gone with the wind when they magically invent the p51 mustang attack plane and use it to destroy the british like 50 years before the wright brothers even flew was totally implausible and ruined the movie take that to the bank brohans 

I understand that concept and know why he didn't open the package on the island (although it could have been a satellite phone to get him home).   I just hated that he never found out what was in the package once he delivered it.   I would have had to know. 
He was at the crossroads trying to figure out what he wanted to do.  The woman stopped and told him where each road would take him, then she rode off.  Once he realized she was the owner of the package (the wings on the back of her truck), and she was a looker... after looking at each road, he turns to the road she left on and decided to go back to her home.  It was left to interpretation but I thought it was obvious that he was going back to see her. 

At that point, I felt certain that he would tell her how the fedex package saved his life (or gave him hope) and "by the way, what the heck is in there?"  So I say he finds out after the credits roll.  

Raiders of the Lost ark
I want to somewhat agree but I don't know if the ending is necessarily bad, or just a good bit anti-climatic.  After the adrenaline rush of really the most of the movie but especially the escape/truck sequence, I usually turn it off as the last 20 minutes just end up being a bit boring.

I think what it is missing is that one v one final confrontation between Indy and Beloch.

He was at the crossroads trying to figure out what he wanted to do.  The woman stopped and told him where each road would take him, then she rode off.  Once he realized she was the owner of the package (the wings on the back of her truck), and she was a looker... after looking at each road, he turns to the road she left on and decided to go back to her home.  It was left to interpretation but I thought it was obvious that he was going back to see her. 

At that point, I felt certain that he would tell her how the fedex package saved his life (or gave him hope) and "by the way, what the heck is in there?"  So I say he finds out after the credits roll.  
It was a 'gag' gift for her husband--  a blow up sex doll..

It was a 'gag' gift for her husband--  a blow up sex doll..
Great conversation piece. To think he could have used that back on his lonely island.  And Wilson wouldn't have had to take so much... <>

He was at the crossroads trying to figure out what he wanted to do.
And it was an homage to Alfred Hitchock's 'North By Northwest' cornfield scene.

Cast Away cross roads scene - shot looking down at angle

Cast Away cross roads scene - Hanks looking down road

The package was his last bond to civilization so long as he didn't open it and acted as a macguffin to the 'meet-cute' leaving open the cliched happy ending that we don't see on film but assume where they fall in love and live happily ever... you know the rest.

I want to somewhat agree but I don't know if the ending is necessarily bad, or just a good bit anti-climatic.  After the adrenaline rush of really the most of the movie but especially the escape/truck sequence, I usually turn it off as the last 20 minutes just end up being a bit boring.

I think what it is missing is that one v one final confrontation between Indy and Beloch.
Well like they said on the big bang theory....the Nazis die anyway, he didn't even need to be there....lol

Gangs of New York just stopped the movie and did something else. 

Braveheart was great but it could have ended about 20 minutes earlier without the contrived heroic stand.

Stripes should have ended at graduation, but they decided to include stripes 2 winneboogaloo as a gratuitous encore 

It's almost Independence Day, when we celebrate the brave heroes who wrote an alien virus in minutes on a 1990s computer

The star trek reboot where they killed the aliens with beastie boys was funnier than it should have been because dude

The final scene of the departed should have ended 3 seconds earlier

It's all part of an unfortunate history of film. Lots of great ideas for the beginnings, but few endings that can match that first hour.

Gangs of New York just stopped the movie and did something else. 

Braveheart was great but it could have ended about 20 minutes earlier without the contrived heroic stand.

Stripes should have ended at graduation, but they decided to include stripes 2 winneboogaloo as a gratuitous encore 

It's almost Independence Day, when we celebrate the brave heroes who wrote an alien virus in minutes on a 1990s computer

The star trek reboot where they killed the aliens with beastie boys was funnier than it should have been because dude

The final scene of the departed should have ended 3 seconds earlier
hated the way gangs of new York ended

Lethal Weapon 2

Riggs lost his wife before the first movie and was suicidal through most of  the first movie because of that. Pouring salt into his wound his girl friend in the second movie is murdered, and by the same people who he learned had killed his wife. He's beaten to hell from fighting, and was just shot, and is now lying on the ground bleeding to death. "Knock knock knocking on heaven's door" is playing slowly and quietly in the back ground pulling all emotion out of viewers that he's about to die. He's gotten his revenge by killing those who killed his wife and girlfriend. He has nothing left to live for. He doesn't have to commit suicide to get the death he desired for so long after losing his wife, and is probably desiring even more after experiencing that pain for a 2nd time when his girl friend is killed. It's time....

But no. Roger tells a joke, making Riggs laugh, so that in seconds somehow it's a happy ending, and they can make another sequel. 

i thought the ending of star wars phantom menace when they have wilford brimley show up playing himself and kills a 9 year old not quite yet evil darth vader with a can of quaker oats that somehow turns into a light saber was just stupid take that to the bank brohans 

Users who are viewing this thread