What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ghosting (1 Viewer)

SInce I'm more than five years old, no.
This is awesome. Very true. I think the OP is being sarcastic, though. 

I ghosted someone once after years. We just couldn't talk without a fight, and I couldn't go through the two hundredth, so I just opted to not inform her we were through. My friend (who became a former friend) told her. This has always been a bit of a blight on my character, but I'm going to claim extenuating circumstances and forgive myself. 

I ghosted someone once after years. We just couldn't talk without a fight, and I couldn't go through the two hundredth, so I just opted to not inform her we were through. My friend (who became a former friend) told her. This has always been a bit of a blight on my character, but I'm going to claim extenuating circumstances and forgive myself. 
The sad reality is that most friendships have expiration dates, and a great majority of those do not need "we are breaking up as friends" conversations. Sometimes they just end and you both move on. 

The sad reality is that most friendships have expiration dates, and a great majority of those do not need "we are breaking up as friends" conversations. Sometimes they just end and you both move on. 
I agree, but this was dating. It had grown ugly, though. I remember getting kicked and stuff. Not good. Just tired of it. No more. No mas.

I agree, but this was dating. It had grown ugly, though. I remember getting kicked and stuff. Not good. Just tired of it. No more. No mas.
That has nothing to do with ghosting.  If there is a next time, end it at once.  Entities such as that deserve no consideration.

But ghosting is just juvenile.

That has nothing to do with ghosting.  If there is a next time, end it at once.  Entities such as that deserve no consideration.

But ghosting is just juvenile.
Yeah, you're right. I was twenty-two. It didn't phase me other than in retrospect. I think it was once, actually, that part. I was just sick of it. I'm forty-six now. I have no real esteem or issues of the ghosting/relationship type right now. Ghosting is often juvenile, stupid, and a power play for the emotionally stunted. Perhaps courtesy is outmoded, but I'd hesitate to think that.

Unfortunately, I also see the arguments for it. This has become the same culture where you can't tell or ask your neighbors to turn the stereo down for fear of escalation. Ghosting is a natural response to fear of physical or emotional reprisal for wanting to sever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this is the same thing, but I call it the Irish Exit, and I'm the master of it.  I never say goodbye at anything.  Odds are I'll see you again.  And who has the time.
My old friend James was the same way. You'd be out at a bar after hanging out all night, turn around, and James would have already pulled his exit. Didn't just do it to me. Did it to everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never done it to a romantic partner, but have with friends. This includes two people in the last six months, one of whom I've known since elementary school. My friend visited after not seeing him or communicating in years, and I realized we'd grown apart for a reason. After determining I'd cut ties with him, I decided I was wasting my time maintaining a friendship with a coworker as well. 

Our time on this planet is brief. There's no reason to belabor any relationship that doesn't enrich your life in one way or another.

Only once, and it was just a friend, not a lover.  I blame it on her though.  Every time we would make plans to visit, she would cancel at the last minute.  After about the 6th time, I gave up, and haven't replied to her since.  The only thing I feel even a little bad about is I have 2 of her yearbooks.  She ain't getting them back.

Agreed. 

I find Facebook makes this different than it used to be, at least if you're both somewhat active on the site. You both keep seeing each other's posts, sometimes you even comment on the other's.  Mostly because while I don't necessarily need to maintain a relationship with the person, I do generally genuinely want the person to be happy and do well. 

My old friend James was the same way. You'd be out at a bar after hanging out all night, turn around, and James would have already pulled his exit. Didn't just do it to me. Did it to everybody.
My buddy did this all the time. He called it "ninja bombing". 

Yep. The Irish Exit is my move too. My wife, on the other hand, is a master of the “keep asking open ended random questions right when we are trying to leave” move.
My GF is the same. She'll tell me we're ready to leave, then it's always another hour more because she ends up starting conversations with everyone as we try to leave. Super annoying. 

My GF is the same. She'll tell me we're ready to leave, then it's always another hour more because she ends up starting conversations with everyone as we try to leave. Super annoying. 
You think that’s bad? My wife forces us to stay until the end of every party, when she’ll offer to help the hosts clean up.

One of the many silver linings to pandemic social restrictions.

Terminalxylem said:
You think that’s bad? My wife forces us to stay until the end of every party, when she’ll offer to help the hosts clean up.

Sounds like you need to get so drunk at these parties that she wants to get you out of there ASAP.

Terminalxylem said:

Yikes that's terrible. I'd never go out if my partner insisted on that. After 2 hours I'm ready to leave all social events. 

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I call it the Irish Exit, and I'm the master of it.  I never say goodbye at anything.  Odds are I'll see you again.  And who has the time.
You’re one of those? 

It takes like one minute to say, “hey guys I’m outta here.” 

You’re one of those? 

It takes like one minute to say, “hey guys I’m outta here.” 
Whenever I'd say that no one would let me leave. It was always "c'mon one more beer"!  Just "going to the bathroom" and not returning is much easier. 

Whenever I'd say that no one would let me leave. It was always "c'mon one more beer"!  Just "going to the bathroom" and not returning is much easier. 
Then you say, "no thanks [insert whatever reason]" and you go. :shrug:  

I’ve only done it once. I dated this girl between my first and second marriage. She seemed into me but I guess I didn’t feel it. She had also said something about a lawsuit that was going on and she might be getting money out of it. She also had a nice house in a nice neighborhood. Anyway I ghosted her and forgot about her.

I took a second job for awhile and ended up talking to her on the phone a few months ago though she didn’t know it was me. I then looked her up later. First story popped up was she got the biggest judgment in a lawsuit in the history of my county. Man, I was depressed for a couple of days thinking about that. 

Users who are viewing this thread