What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite "The Supremes" Song (1 Viewer)

The Supremes

• Come See About Me

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Where Did Our Love Go

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Baby Love

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My World Is Empty Without You

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Reflections

• Back In My Arms Again

• Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart

• I Hear A Symphony

• You Keep Me Hangin' On

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • You Can't Hurry Love

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Stop In The Name Of Love

• Love Child

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Someday We'll Be Together

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Love Is Here And Now You're Gone

• Other

• Total voters
Diana Ross is my least-favorite classic Motown singer, but they knew how to build songs around what she could do.

I chose "You Keep Me Hanging On". The band is absolutely cooking (I don't recall which of the Funk Brothers is playing guitar on this, but he deserves a Nobel Prize in physics). This is music made to blast in mono out of a 20 oz dashboard speaker in a '66 GTO.

She wasn't even the best singer in her own group, but Berry Gordy wasn't infatuated with Florence Ballard. These are all better singers, IMO:

Marvin Gaye

Martha Reeves (criminally underrated)

Mary Wells

Levi Stubbs

David Ruffin

Gladys Horton

Eddie Kendricks

Smokey Robinson

That said, the actual records credited to The Supremes are some of the best ever recorded - anytime, anywhere

She wasn't even the best singer in her own group,
Diana's delivery has always struck me as deeply resonant. In Reflections when she sings "the hurt that YOU have caused" it just feels so personal, like she is burrowing into your soul. 

You are one of the most insightful musical guys on this board, so I defer to you.  I can't explain it, but Diana has always just gotten to me. 

Diana's delivery has always struck me as deeply resonant. In Reflections when she sings "the hurt that YOU have caused" it just feels so personal, like she is burrowing into your soul. 

You are one of the most insightful musical guys on this board, so I defer to you.  I can't explain it, but Diana has always just gotten to me. 
No deferring needed, my friend. We like what we like.

Ross not being my ideal singer doesn't mean she's not in the top .001% in rock history. I love all of those Supremes records. I chose "Hanging" because that's my favorite vocal of hers.

Voted can't hurry love, although the tune that comes to my mind when I see the title is Phil Collins :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread