What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does seeing this make you upset (OCMD and Lake of the Ozark) (1 Viewer)

Do seeing these pictures make you upset

• Yes

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 59 45.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 10 7.7%

• Total voters
No. I view it as a kind of experiment that will hopefully provide some insight on the state of the virus. I’m just taking care of myself and my family. I wouldn’t personally go near the boardwalk this weekend but I’ll be interested to see if there are any related spikes over the next few weeks as things reopen. 

No. I view it as a kind of experiment that will hopefully provide some insight on the state of the virus. I’m just taking care of myself and my family. I wouldn’t personally go near the boardwalk this weekend but I’ll be interested to see if there are any related spikes over the next few weeks as things reopen. 
+1

Doesn't really upset me, but does confirm my priors.  Just hoping me and the people I love make it through to the other side of this. 

It would’ve a month ago when I had some faith in this stupid country but I’m just going to assume it will get worse and take care of my family and ride this out. Doesn’t matter to me if some yokels get it. 

No. It doesn't make me upset.

I get the tension. I have friends who may never go to a restaurant again. I have friends who are ready for crowds now. 

I know quite a few folks who are very ready to start getting back out again. I'm not quite as ready but I am definitely moving more toward that way cautiously. I got a haircut at my barbershop last week. Masks and all. I was a little nervous but I also felt comfortable how they were doing things. And I also like my barber a lot and wanted to contribute. ($25 haircut and $20 tip) 

Even my own family is divided some. My step father is 75 and I've intentionally not seen him since this all started. But today he asked if he could visit and I agreed after telling him no a few times over the last month. We had lunch outside on the porch. My kids were concerned. I was concerned. He was much less concerned. I'm not sure what the right thing is. It hurts my soul trying to balance it all and makes me tired and sad. And all we're dealing with is just the distancing stuff. I can only imagine the folks dealing with sickness. 

I'm just tired with it. And yes, that's me whining. But real. 

My hope is we can all show each other extra grace.

Last edited by a moderator:
A more fully formed thought on this:

I had a friend ask me if the pictures of crowds made me angry.

No, it does not make me angry. But I absolutely get the tension. I have friends who may never go to a restaurant again. I have friends who are ready for crowds now.

I feel pretty lonely in the "middle" position of wanting to move towards reopening but also being cautious. It seems the only positions are you're either a sheeple idiot for staying at home or you're a selfish idiot for wanting to be out. It's so tiring to hear the fighting and acrimony.

Even my own family is divided. My stepfather is 73 and I've intentionally not seen him since this all started. But today he asked if he could visit and I agreed after telling him no a couple of times over the last month. We had lunch with my brother outside on the porch. I loved seeing them. My kids were concerned. I was concerned. He was much less concerned.

I'm not sure what the right thing is. It hurts my soul trying to balance it all and makes me tired and sad. And all we're dealing with is just the distancing stuff. I can only imagine the folks dealing with sickness.

And yes, that's me whining. But real.

Some people are legit still worried and have good reason to be. Some people are legit ready to get back out and have good reason to be.

Not everyone who doesn't think like you is an idiot.

I hope we can show each other some grace. I'm not seeing a ton of it.

It upsets me. Not because people want to get out and return to normal. But the fact that there is hardly a mask to be seen is inconceivable to me. 

Is it that hard to put a mask on as you walk down the boardwalk. Even if you do not believe it does anything, it is not really that big of an inconvenience is it?

Part of ‘getting back’ will be testing limits.  Wouldn’t be what I would do as I’ll be more cautious in my approach to re-entry, but it’s clear the ship has sailed in the US regarding SIP and social distancing directives.  So we’ll see what happens...

Not in the least,  more people need to do this,  the benefits outweigh the risks.  If this bother you people then just stay home but don't impinge on other people's liberties.

A more fully formed thought on this:

I had a friend ask me if the pictures of crowds made me angry.

No, it does not make me angry. But I absolutely get the tension. I have friends who may never go to a restaurant again. I have friends who are ready for crowds now.

I feel pretty lonely in the "middle" position of wanting to move towards reopening but also being cautious. It seems the only positions are you're either a sheeple idiot for staying at home or you're a selfish idiot for wanting to be out. It's so tiring to hear the fighting and acrimony.

Even my own family is divided. My stepfather is 73 and I've intentionally not seen him since this all started. But today he asked if he could visit and I agreed after telling him no a couple of times over the last month. We had lunch with my brother outside on the porch. I loved seeing them. My kids were concerned. I was concerned. He was much less concerned.

I'm not sure what the right thing is. It hurts my soul trying to balance it all and makes me tired and sad. And all we're dealing with is just the distancing stuff. I can only imagine the folks dealing with sickness.

And yes, that's me whining. But real.

Some people are legit still worried and have good reason to be. Some people are legit ready to get back out and have good reason to be.

Not everyone who doesn't think like you is an idiot.

I hope we can show each other some grace. I'm not seeing a ton of it.
This. 

I don’t know what the right thing to do is and most of the people I know are similarly confused. And when I say “right thing” I am speaking more on the macro level. We all wear masks and practice social distancing to try and protect others but life needs to continue.

For example have a friend who’s 7 year old has some challenges with interacting with others, etc and she hasn’t been to therapy for months and the lack of routine is taking a toll not only on all of the great progress she’s made over the last year but on the parents. They are starting up in person therapy next week. The pros out weigh the cons here but the decision making process has been tough.

I have seen a lot of goodness in/from people during all of this and some selfishness as well. No good answers for any of this.

btw the real headline here is that your stepfather  got younger between your first and second posts. 

It upsets me. Not because people want to get out and return to normal. But the fact that there is hardly a mask to be seen is inconceivable to me. 

Is it that hard to put a mask on as you walk down the boardwalk. Even if you do not believe it does anything, it is not really that big of an inconvenience is it?
Masks on a boardwalk? Yeah no thanks

Not in the least,  more people need to do this,  the benefits outweigh the risks.  If this bother you people then just stay home but don't impinge on other people's liberties.
I can't stay home. I have to go to work every day to take care of some of these people showing up sick in my office.  10-20 a day.  Some have COVID19.  And then I get to go home at night to my wife, daughters and an elderly mother-in-law.

There are many people like me out there in the herd being thinned not of our own volition. And not just health care providers but all front-line/essential workers.

This is why the Darwinism analogy doesn't work here.

So, yes, these photos upset me a lot.

I can't stay home. I have to go to work every day to take care of some of these people showing up sick in my office.  10-20 a day.  Some have COVID19.  And then I get to go home at night to my wife, daughters and an elderly mother-in-law.

There are many people like me out there in the herd being thinned not of our own volition. And not just health care providers but all front-line/essential workers.

Gonna need a link of the herd being thinned out.  All I've seen is something entirely different.

Just wondering where people are at when they see these images which were taken this weekend. 

https://twitter.com/ReutersZengerle/status/1264312586385928193?s=19

https://twitter.com/maxbaker_15/status/1264386140720771076?s=19

This is not the political forum. If you want to talk politics, take it over there. Just simply want to know if these images are upsetting to you
We are outside of OC MD and went to the boardwalk last weekend. It was crowded, but probably not as crowded as pictured...however, pictures are difficult to determine the spacing of people.

When we went, there was a lot of less than 6' spacing, but only briefly as you passed people. That's said, the more troubling part for me was maybe 1/20 were wearing masks. Masks are "suggested" but obviously most of the people arent taking the suggestion to heart. With people coming from all over (VA, PA, DE, MD) based on license plates, the potential for spread is high. Hoping it doesn't go there.

We went to Assateague Island yesterday, figuring OC was going to be packed. People did a great job social distancing, but the size of the beach is huge, and it wasn't as crowded...so much easier to do. But I bet certain pictures can make it look more crowded than it was.

I would certainly be a lot more upset if I was in your shoes.  

I have a friend who is having difficulty in Massachusetts and is flying into L.A. for a few weeks. He's quarantining, and then will officially be up for visits, etc. I have two elderly people I currently live with. Seeing him in an unlocked-down L.A. makes me really trepidatious. I'm not sure if he'll be offended if I don't see him or what. I have no real counsel on this. He was going through a tough time in MA which is why he came out here.

I don't really get angry at the pictures or the people, I just sort of sigh and wish they'd be more cautious.

I mentioned it in the NYC thread, but these areas that haven't been hit hard- it's easy to see why they don't think proper precautions as recommended by the Gov are necessary. Fewer people are sick, nobody is there to catch or spread the virus and I can't really blame them for assuming it won't happen there. 

That said, OC attracts people from all over and the boardwalk is chock full of now open places that people are engaging without masks or gloves. There wasnt' much of the virus here outside of a few hotspots...but that was due to the precautions taken imo, more than some innate safety net here. Removing those precautions in a big tourist area... I really hope nothing happens and that the numbers dont increase- especially for the people here just trying to do their jobs...but when people are so selfish that wearing a mask in an area like this during what is still a crisis is somehow a burden...dunno. 

I have a friend who is having difficulty in Massachusetts and is flying into L.A. for a few weeks. He's quarantining, and then will officially be up for visits, etc. I have two elderly people I currently live with. Seeing him in an unlocked-down L.A. makes me really trepidatious. I'm not sure if he'll be offended if I don't see him or what. I have no real counsel on this. He was going through a tough time in MA which is why he came out here.

I don't really get angry at the pictures or the people, I just sort of sigh and wish they'd be more cautious.
That's all I'm asking too.

That is cool and I fully respect your answer. BUT, it goes both ways right. I can just as easily say that these people are risking my safety and if that bothers them they shouldnt leave their house and impinge on my liberty. 

I was in ocean city 2 weeks ago. Every single person I saw had a mask. I was really happy about that. 

I am going back this week. No plans to go to the boardwalk. My place is basically in Deleware. 

And for the people talking about the 20 year olds, I would say these are mostly middle aged people out and about.

I hope everything works out and I am being overly dramatic. Then people will laugh at me and say, told you so. 

:rolleyes:

I love how following guidelines set forth by doctors and infectious disease experts somehow turned into impinging our liberties.  People getting murdered or people’s right to vote taken away, no problemo. But bah God if you make me wear a protective mask while I’m getting hammered on Pabst at the beach, MAH RIGHTS!!

I was in ocean city 2 weeks ago. Every single person I saw had a mask. I was really happy about that. 

I am going back this week. No plans to go to the boardwalk. My place is basically in Deleware. 

And for the people talking about the 20 year olds, I would say these are mostly middle aged people out and about.

I hope everything works out and I am being overly dramatic. Then people will laugh at me and say, told you so. 
Like I said....I was there last weekend. It was an all ages don't give a ####-a-thon in terms of masks. And since it's OC...lots and lots and lots of fat, like diabetic or prediabetic types. Thopras nothing happens.

My kids have been so used to being exceedingly cautious, they were angry at what they were seeing. I told them other people are free to live how they see fit without our judgement- but we are maintaining our vigilance about this and will continue to wear our masks where there are crowds and do our best to distance, washing hands etc.

That is cool and I fully respect your answer. BUT, it goes both ways right. I can just as easily say that these people are risking my safety and if that bothers them they shouldnt leave their house and impinge on my liberty. 
I'm not sure it goes both ways, every one is responsible for their own safety and their own risks that people take that is what freedom is about.  Unless they changed the definition of freedom.  Your making me responsible for your own safety that doesn't sound like freedom to me.   This is a public place which means you have to evaluate your own risks.  Don't place your fears on me.  

:rolleyes:

I love how following guidelines set forth by doctors and infectious disease experts somehow turned into impinging our liberties.  People getting murdered or people’s right to vote taken away, no problemo. But bah God if you make me wear a protective mask while I’m getting hammered on Pabst at the beach, MAH RIGHTS!!
These are the same Drs. And disease experts who have been wrong about everything.   Excuse me if I don't care what they say.   Hardly anyone healthy is dying from this.

Lol...it's so horrible to wear a mask when we've been told by every leading health expert that they help limit spread? I'm sure you know better.

Im all for opening places up if people can be vigilant and respectful...but clearly that's a big ask.
They definitely help limit spread. I personally wouldn't goto a boardwalk now because I would never wear a mask on a boardwalk. 

I'm not sure it goes both ways, every one is responsible for their own safety and their own risks that people take that is what freedom is about.  Unless they changed the definition of freedom.  Your making me responsible for your own safety that doesn't sound like freedom to me.
Tomorrow is a day to reflect on the exact opposite of what you are saying. There are times when we need to sacrifice for the greater good. Many have made the ultimate sacrifice. 

A herd to me being thinned out is healthy people all of these people had preexisting conditions.
I should not have used the phrase "thinning of the herd".

My point is that front line workers, who are taking all the recommended precautions, are having to care for these people who have chosen to take risks they didn't have to take.  And some of those front line workers have died because of it.

That's why I responded "yes" in this poll.

100k in two months with 90% of the country quarantined - ‘hardly anybody’ :loco:  
I got covid late January on flight to Puerto Rico, even posted I was going.  So just quit the whole two months lie, this has been here way before January.

The bold is key.

Users who are viewing this thread