What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kirk Merritt WR Miami Dolphins (2 Viewers)

Iceman03

Footballguy
Kirk Merritt

6’0 210lbs 

2014 HS SPARQ Champ: 148.83 (Would be 2020 top WR SPARQ, many are estimated due to Covid)

100m: 10.69

Pro day verified by Senior Bowl Scout Josh Cox

40 Time: 4.33

SS: 4.05

Vert: 45.5

Broad: 11”3’

Bench: 23 Reps

Background: Was kicked out of Texas A&M for indecent exposure after abruptly leaving Oregon. Had major offers everywhere coming into college. I’m guessing this was bad enough to lead to his UDFA status as well. Recruited as a RB. 

2018 Highlights

2019 Highlights

40 yd dash

Response to DK Metcalf’s Vert Jump today

Top 150 prospect for me but huge off the field risk. He would have been a top 125ish pick in this draft if he wasn't such a knucklehead. His tape is solid. He's good. 

This kid is super intriguing both from a talent and opportunity perspective. But it's gonna be really hard this offseason to justify having an UDFA - especially WRs - taking up a dynasty roster spot with this truncated team activity situation. We'll likely see the fewest UDFAs on making rosters than we have in a long time, especially with expanded practice squads.

Almost no chance for this kid, especially since UDFAs are going to have an even more difficult time making rosters with the shortened/limited offseason.

Why not Kirk?  He actually reminds me a lot of a very discount Jalen Reagor.  Problem with Merritt is that he mostly played slot, UDFA and not polished at all.  But he is a great athlete and did produce in his short time at Arkansas State.  He's competing with end of roster bad players though.  Same case that Preston had last year, should be easy to make the roster, and if he doesn't then big "uh-oh". 

Competing with Hurns, Ford, and Grant for #4-6 duty, which UDFA wouldn't want to go there?  

The only teams that seem to hold value for an UDFA of making the roster are New England and Seattle without checking other teams past history. Miami HC is from the BB tree so could Miami hit the head of the nail again with Merritt. Preston Williams showed very good progress when given the opportunity.

So take this statement with a tiny grain of salt but there are plays he makes that remind me some of Tyreek Hill. I sincerely believe his off field troubles contributed heavily to his not being drafted. If his 40 time is to believed or even if you adhere to the +.05 method he ran a sub 4.4 at 210lbs.

I understand the minimal camps hurt UDFA’s but I think there is an argument here. As previously stated there is a thin depth chart at WR beyond Parker, Gesicki and Williams (who is coming off a decent injury). There is also a thin depth chart at RB. Not saying a position switch is possible just that when you run thin like that it’s important to have some playmakers on the backend. He also has a history of returning kicks which could make his sticking to the roster easier if he proves to be a role player in that area.

I’m hesitant to overhype any UDFA at this point in my FF journey but this is an arbitrage Henry Ruggs that is easy to snag cheap right now. 

Picked him up in all my dynasty leagues where I had space. Tua looks like the real deal to me, and this guy is a freak. As others have said, if not for the off field stuff, guessing he would have been drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. If you have the space, grab him. 

Here are his numbers:

4.33 in the 40-yard dash (2nd among combine WRs)

4.02 in the 20-yard shuttle (1st among combine WRs)

45.5-inch vertical jump (1st among combine WRs)

23 bench press reps (1st among combine WRs)

11’3” broad jump (3rd among combine WRs)

All of that at 6’0” 215-pounds, and all results were verified by former NFL scout, Josh Cox. The athleticism is nothing new as he won the Nike SPARQ National Championship in high school (2014) and was a track and field star in Louisiana. In his Senior year of high school, he ran a 10.45 100m.

Kirk has now worked his way off the practice squad onto the Dolphins active roster and he has probably caught a lot of passes from Tua at practice. 

Dolphins looked pretty good taking a chance on Preston, hopefully lightening strikes twice 

Last edited by a moderator:
Grant is fast, I think his game speed is as good as Kirk's, possibly better. The analyses I've seen are that Merritt is not a refined route runner and should initially be used on bubble screens, jet sweeps and fly patterns.  

Merritt has been activated for this game.

I already scooped him up preemptively. They just traded Ford so maybe they plan to work him in. Not much comp to get to WR3 spot over there. Obviously it's a 2021 play, but I love the upside.

Picked him up in all my dynasty leagues where I had space. Tua looks like the real deal to me, and this guy is a freak. As others have said, if not for the off field stuff, guessing he would have been drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. If you have the space, grab him. 

Here are his numbers:

4.33 in the 40-yard dash (2nd among combine WRs)

4.02 in the 20-yard shuttle (1st among combine WRs)

45.5-inch vertical jump (1st among combine WRs)

23 bench press reps (1st among combine WRs)

11’3” broad jump (3rd among combine WRs)

All of that at 6’0” 215-pounds, and all results were verified by former NFL scout, Josh Cox. The athleticism is nothing new as he won the Nike SPARQ National Championship in high school (2014) and was a track and field star in Louisiana. In his Senior year of high school, he ran a 10.45 100m.

Kirk has now worked his way off the practice squad onto the Dolphins active roster and he has probably caught a lot of passes from Tua at practice. 

Dolphins looked pretty good taking a chance on Preston, hopefully lightening strikes twice 

Grant is older, shorter, and slower. Grant does have more experience playing on Sunday obviously. 

Grant is fast, I think his game speed is as good as Kirk's, possibly better. The analyses I've seen are that Merritt is not a refined route runner and should initially be used on bubble screens, jet sweeps and fly patterns.  
Back to Practice Squad

https://twitter.com/search?q=kirk merritt&src=typed_query&f=video

Some clips of Merritt in preseason. If he doesn't make the team, and winds up somewhere with a thin group, he might be interesting.  

Look up his college tape. He's a special athlete.
"Kid passed, C+ avg, thought you'd like to know"

Looks like he made the initial roster cuts. In order for this guy to make it, I think two things need to happen and they actually could. If you check in the Miami team thread you will see I laid out a scenario that could work involving Watson being traded on to Miami. Watson makes $10M this year, Tua makes almost $7M and WR D.Parker is due $12M...let me get you a napkin so you don't spill that coffee. 

Watson In, Tua Out, Parker Out, enter Merritt who makes the team and has just as much chance to develop chemistry with the new QB as any one else not named Will Fuller. In my scenario, Houston would get Tua in return for Watson and of course some draft picks but he was the No 5 overall pick so I don't think it takes 3 1st round draft picks, in fact it clearly won't any more. Houston has to save face and move on more than anything right now. Parker can be traded to a number of teams, he got a bad rap last year because of the FF community, he was a bust in that world. But in the NFL, Parker looked good but Tua seemed to not make the connection with him. Tua admitted he did not learn the playbook so let's leave at least partial blame with Tua.   

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread