What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lance Armstrong 30 for 30 (1 Viewer)

irish eyes

Footballguy
Apologies if there is already a thread, but this board has the worst search function in internet history.  Has anyone watched this? This may be one of the most unlikable people in history.  I feel bad for athletes sometimes in the spotlight,  but this clown deserved everything he got. Such a pompous jerk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no interest in watching this.

It's an insult to what the spirit of "30 for 30" used to represent.

It's not a compelling story, it's a glorified puff piece.

Maybe his drugs were better and maybe he just was a bigger **** about taking them (and everything else), but he was still a hell of a bike rider. 

I'm sure I wouldn't listen to half the music I do if I knew what those #######s were really like, either.

Am I entertained?  I am entertained.

Have always been interested in The Tour de France and in athletes who perform these type of extreme feats.

I’d put winning this race up there just below Alex Honnold free soloing type level of accomplishment. Just insane what these dudes do.

I watched this and will def watch next week. Nothing too new or earth shattering so far if you  are familiar with the story but still well produced so far and worth watching if the topic interests you at all.

Armstrong has definitely gotten used to describing how he used these drugs.

What exactly is the outrage against the guy. He did exactly what everyone else in biking was doing. Its not like he was the only one. Doesnt make it right, but why the immense hate for him vs any of the Italians or French. 

Add in the fact that he fought back from stage 4 cancer to race at a high level again (drugs or not) and it is incredible. 

I will also add, it sounds like he is a freak of nature. He was crushing without drugs in his early teens. 

If it was an even playing field with no one taking drugs, he probably wins most of the races imo

What exactly is the outrage against the guy. He did exactly what everyone else in biking was doing. Its not like he was the only one. Doesnt make it right, but why the immense hate for him vs any of the Italians or French. 

Add in the fact that he fought back from stage 4 cancer to race at a high level again (drugs or not) and it is incredible. 
The outrage and hatred for this guy is how much of a sanctimonious **** he was about his lie and how he went after people viciously who called him out and were threatening to expose him. He ruined people’s lives or tried to.

We’ll see if they get into that in the next one. 

The outrage and hatred for this guy is how much of a sanctimonious **** he was about his lie and how he went after people viciously who called him out and were threatening to expose him. He ruined people’s lives or tried to.

We’ll see if they get into that in the next one. 
I guess I see a point there. but I imagine the second anyone commits to cheating, it is established that you will do whatever you can to deny accusations. 

Barry Bonds isnt as hated as this guy but he didnt ruin anyone else that I know of. 

Eta: Thanks for the reply. 

I guess I see a point there. but I imagine the second anyone commits to cheating, it is established that you will do whatever you can to deny accusations. 

Barry Bonds isnt as hated as this guy but he didnt ruin anyone else that I know of. 

Eta: Thanks for the reply. 
Most cheaters in that sport just pretended the tests were false, blamed it on ridiculous stuff  like tainted meat and faded away.

Armstrong couldn’t really do that because he had built this whole empire around this story. He did some super **** stuff. Ruined people that had no chance against him. Pretty villainous stuff. 

He also did do great things with his charity. 

That combined with the amazing accomplishments he and his team did winning that thing seven times is why this story is so interesting to me. It really does have everything.

Just the sports part alone is amazing, and the stuff Lance did in those races is some badassery of the highest level.

Totally dominated guys. Laid out plans, told everyone what he was going to do then executed.  Crazy, crazy stuff those guys do in that race and Armstrong was was just a machine, cocky as hell, so much more interesting than anyone else in the sport. 

Maybe his drugs were better and maybe he just was a bigger **** about taking them (and everything else), but he was still a hell of a bike rider. 

I'm sure I wouldn't listen to half the music I do if I knew what those #######s were really like, either.

It has less to do with him cheating/doping and more to do with how and what he was doing while he did it.  This dude ruined people's lives, sold out life long friends, etc all while acting like he was this great person and they were the bad guys.

My dislike for Armstrong stemmed not so much from doping as from how vehemently and viciously he attacked people who accurately reported on his doping.  

Or what the free bagel said.  A very wise breakfast snack, indeed.

It has less to do with him cheating/doping and more to do with how and what he was doing while he did it.  This dude ruined people's lives, sold out life long friends, etc all while acting like he was this great person and they were the bad guys.
It’s really full circle IMO.  Guy mentioned yesterday that the difference between EPO riders and non-EPO riders was 10%.  Difference between first and last in the Tour was 2%.  Everyone was using.  His “friends” that outed him were using too... AND got paid to out Lance.  They’re just as big of dbags as he is.

It’s really full circle IMO.  Guy mentioned yesterday that the difference between EPO riders and non-EPO riders was 10%.  Difference between first and last in the Tour was 2%.  Everyone was using.  His “friends” that outed him were using too... AND got paid to out Lance.  They’re just as big of dbags as he is.
Have you watched "Stop at Nothing"?

I don't care that he used.  It's everything else that makes him dbag of the decade.

Episode one was interesting, enjoyed it. But it certainly cemented how unlikable Lance is.  Was always a cocky bully, even as a teen.  

I will also add, it sounds like he is a freak of nature. He was crushing without drugs in his early teens. 

If it was an even playing field with no one taking drugs, he probably wins most of the races imo
Don't think we can really ever know if he wasn't taking in his teens.  I mean the same sort of faith that he didn't take it could be used to point out his ball cancer was perhaps caused by putting stickers on his taint.  

This is true.  The French rags basically paid bounties to get him caught.   The scrutiny he had was unreal.  That part was not...?fair?  Not sure the right word, I hate the guy but I get it how and why he was so much a #### to his friends and the media.  Everyone was trying to bust him.  

Great first episode. I don’t expect any new ground to be broken in this this, but it’s a fantastic story about an incredible athlete.  I loved the  opening when he says he expects people he meets to say “#### you.”  If I ever met him, I’d thank him for the crazy awesome ride.  Then I’d say “#### you.” 

Great first episode. I don’t expect any new ground to be broken in this this, but it’s a fantastic story about an incredible athlete.  I loved the  opening when he says he expects people he meets to say “#### you.”  If I ever met him, I’d thank him for the crazy awesome ride.  Then I’d say “#### you.” 
A shame he was in the era that you had to dope or had no chance.  IMO, he may have been the greatest cycling athlete ever - I'd regard it as very likely he's the best that's ever been.  As a kid at 15 he comes off the bike ahead of Mark Allen - GTFO.  That's beyond mind boggling.  

That said, wait until the second one comes out.  He's definitely a bit of an ego-maniacal ****.   It's funny how MJ has that trait to (IMO) the same extent, but is loved. Athletes like McGuire, Sosa, etc. were drug cheats and yet still liked.  The only sports figure that I can think of that evokes more hatred is Pete Rose. Maybe Barry Bonds in there, too.

A shame he was in the era that you had to dope or had no chance.  IMO, he may have been the greatest cycling athlete ever - I'd regard it as very likely he's the best that's ever been.  As a kid at 15 he comes off the bike ahead of Mark Allen - GTFO.  That's beyond mind boggling.  

That said, wait until the second one comes out.  He's definitely a bit of an ego-maniacal ****.   It's funny how MJ has that trait to (IMO) the same extent, but is loved. Athletes like McGuire, Sosa, etc. were drug cheats and yet still liked.  The only sports figure that I can think of that evokes more hatred is Pete Rose. Maybe Barry Bonds in there, too.
The ‘greatest cyclist ever’ title is tough for me because he only rode the Tour. There’s no doubt he is the best the Tour de France has ever seen.  The run of 7 is one of the top athletic accomplishments of our lifetime.  I’m not sure this 30/30 can do it justice. I expect, by the end, viewers will know he was every bit the competitor and every bit the ###hole that Jordan was, and that was both on and off the bike.  

Makes you wonder - why not just let every athlete in every sport do whatever drugs they want?  In the end you still need the skill to play that particular sport.

This was my take away from the first episode.  I didn't realize that this was how he got started on the bike.  That is a lot of raw talent from a 15 year old.

This was my take away from the first episode.  I didn't realize that this was how he got started on the bike.  That is a lot of raw talent from a 15 year old.
Mark Allen was the best triathlete of his generation.  I guess a modern equivalent would be a 15 year old kid beating Galen Rupp through 20 miles in a marathon or beating Phelps until the freestyle leg of the 400IM.  It's hard to comprehend the natural talent there.  The only equivalent even close that I can think of was watching tape of LeBron in high school and knowing he was, at 17, in the top echelon of NBA talent in school there.

One thing they didn't mention, but is pretty obvious from seeing Lance as a kid and then when he won the Tour at the end, was the effect cancer had on his physique. He went from a much more muscular individual to being rebuilt from the ground up after his cancer fight as a lean cyclist.  I'm not sure if he's would have been as successful without that resculpting.

Mark Allen was the best triathlete of his generation.  I guess a modern equivalent would be a 15 year old kid beating Galen Rupp through 20 miles in a marathon or beating Phelps until the freestyle leg of the 400IM.  It's hard to comprehend the natural talent there.

One thing they didn't mention, but is pretty obvious from seeing Lance as a kid and then when he won the Tour at the end, was the effect cancer had on his physique. He went from a much more muscular individual to being rebuilt from the ground up after his cancer fight as a lean cyclist.  I'm not sure if he's would have been as successful without that resculpting.
I mean Froome et al are all presumably taking drugs to get that physique.  I think the better question is if he would have done those drugs as well or just stuck with the time trials/classics/one-day races like Cancellara.  

Lance cheated and was a jerk to many, many people with his lies. 

But if you benefited from the awareness or funds he helped raise for cancer research, then he may your favorite cheating jerk of all time. 

Huge **** but also a huge talent - maybe the greatest cyclist ever.  I really don’t care much about the doping - essentially ever top caliber guy was doing it.  I do care that he was a horrible person to his friends and colleagues.  Can’t root for anybody like that.  But still, having said that, he’s on a short list of most jaw-dropping performances ever.

I didn't see the last 20 minutes or so of the first episode and not sure what direction the 2nd will go.  I don't think there's enough time to fully cover the races AND the doping story in any meaningful way.  For this to get really good, they have to spend some more time with Betsy and Fankie Andreu and Tyler Hamilton, speak with Lemond, Emma O’Reilly, and Floyd. There are at least a dozen or so key characters in the doping saga covering the US Postal years.  They should speak with David Walsh and Dan Coyle.  Hincapie seems like a loyal guy still. I would think Hamilton and Livingston would spill their guts, but I'm not sure how much they have to say that isn't known.

I didn't see the last 20 minutes or so of the first episode and not sure what direction the 2nd will go.  I don't think there's enough time to fully cover the races AND the doping story in any meaningful way.  For this to get really good, they have to spend some more time with Betsy and Fankie Andreu and Tyler Hamilton, speak with Lemond, Emma O’Reilly, and Floyd. There are at least a dozen or so key characters in the doping saga covering the US Postal years.  They should speak with David Walsh and Dan Coyle.  Hincapie seems like a loyal guy still. I would think Hamilton and Livingston would spill their guts, but I'm not sure how much they have to say that isn't known.
He could roll on a few people for bagging.  No indication that will ever happen. 

There's a reason why the phrase "never meet your heroes" is a thing.  They are fallible just like the rest of us.

Dude could ride and didn't need to dope.  Instead of having two American that punked the Frenchies in there own race, we have one.  

Armstrong was without a doubt the best doper and tactician of that day. Smoked all the other cheats of the day.

Barry Bonds was mentioned up thread. That's a pretty good comparison I think. 

One thing I read regarding Lance being an all-time great is that he really just geared up to dominate The Tour de France and not the other races where as other greats in the sport won everything.

There's a fantastic documentary called "Icarus" about the Russian doping program. It starts about being about the filmmaker's doping experience while riding in the 7 day Haute Route.  He rides the first year clean and finished 14th.  Then he starts an organized doping program (EPO and other stuff) under professional guidance. In the second year, he finished in the mid-20's even though his watts and power were way higher.  That's an amateur race, so no where near the level Armstrong competed in. The filmmaker said there were always 8-10 guys at the top of the amateur classification that no one could touch.  Its just one anecdotal example, but the point I think is accepted - you can't compete at a high level without the drugs, but drugs alone, even for a top rider, don't guarantee results.  All of US Postal was on Lance's program for years. Maybe Hincapie, Hamilton or Leipheimer could have won in one of those years (all doping), but none of them could do what Armstrong did - no one was close. Ullrich, Beloki, Pantanini, Kloden, Vinokourov, Basso - all the top riders Armstrong competed against in those years were eventually busted.

I watched and was entertained. Seeing Stop at Nothing helps frame this quite a bit, but I enjoyed looking through another lens at it all. Looking forward to the next one. 

And yes, he’s a massive deusche bague. 

The General said:
Armstrong was without a doubt the best doper and tactician of that day. Smoked all the other cheats of the day.

One thing I read regarding Lance being an all-time great is that he really just geared up to dominate The Tour de France and not the other races where as other greats in the sport won everything.
The Bonds comparison is spot on. Both were world class all time great talents without the “juice”.  

CletiusMaximus said:
There's a fantastic documentary called "Icarus" about the Russian doping program. It starts about being about the filmmaker's doping experience while riding in the 7 day Haute Route.  He rides the first year clean and finished 14th.  Then he starts an organized doping program (EPO and other stuff) under professional guidance. In the second year, he finished in the mid-20's even though his watts and power were way higher.  That's an amateur race, so no where near the level Armstrong competed in. The filmmaker said there were always 8-10 guys at the top of the amateur classification that no one could touch.  Its just one anecdotal example, but the point I think is accepted - you can't compete at a high level without the drugs, but drugs alone, even for a top rider, don't guarantee results.  All of US Postal was on Lance's program for years. Maybe Hincapie, Hamilton or Leipheimer could have won in one of those years (all doping), but none of them could do what Armstrong did - no one was close. Ullrich, Beloki, Pantanini, Kloden, Vinokourov, Basso - all the top riders Armstrong competed against in those years were eventually busted.
That Icarus you mentioned is great.

The last part about everyone of Lance’a era getting busted is when it was obvious he was a cheat. I think there’s a couple years they couldn’t even award a winner because everyone at the top was busted eventually. Eventually the Feds got Lance then he had to come clean.

The top notch in that sport all have freakish physical characteristics that make them predisposed to excel in these type of outlandish endurance feats. Of those then you narrow down the ones that are mentally toughest. Then on top of that you mix in the PED’s - gets you down to a handful of people in the world.

Armstrong smoked all those dudes.

The General said:

He was like the Brooks Koepka of cycling

I don’t really blame lance for juicing up.  He wouldn’t have been able to compete for wins if he didn’t.  All the top guys were juicing.  Even his denials I can understand.

It’s the way he reacted by being a huge ##### during his denial phase.  He took a lot of people down with lawsuits/etc.

Meh.  He lived in a 'if you aren't cheating you aren't trying' era of biking.   No different than some of them recently putting motors inside the gear mechanisms.  Bonds and McGuire and others in baseball same thing.  Golfers used beta blockers for years.  75% of the NBA is high the entire season.

My opinion is it's up to the sports governing bodies to stop it before it happens to protect the field and the sport.  Or at least do something as soon as they know about it.  Otherwise, everyone is forced to cheat to keep up.

He's an interesting story.  Not likable in any way.  But the story is good.

Users who are viewing this thread