Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

Twitter vs Trump: Twitter puts warning labels on Trump’s tweets; Trump retaliates with threats and executive order

27 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

Republicans should see Trump's actions as a textbook definition of " the Slippery Slope that they might have to deal with when they don't have Executive Office power".

On a similar note, we should now all recognize the danger inherent in saying that corporations don't have first amendment rights.

Will we see a push to boycott Twitter?

That would be hilarious

4 minutes ago, Challenge Everything said:

Twitter should do the most simplistic thing it can. Delete Trump's account.

That would be awesome. 

Make him post his messages on Tik Tok.

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, belljr said:

Lol. Snowflakes everywhere!!!!

It's been a long 3+ year winter in America. #MAGA

Edited by Challenge Everything
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Sad thing is Trump being censored is getting more play than Trump censoring the economic report

Edited by yak651
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sam Quentin said:

Politicians have been harassing their opponents for as long as we have had elections.  Drawing that line will require more than a single word to define it.  Traditionally and legally the boundaries on that have been a tad more lenient in terms of what can be said of public figures...

You're conflating a lot of issues here... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, belljr said:

Twitter should just ban him

I'd rather they just continue to fact check him. Expose the lies for everyone to see. Otherwise you are just making the poor little guy a victim. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, knowledge dropper said:

Not at all.  It’s common sense that just bulk mailing out of ballots could lead to fraud.  

But.......but that's the only way Oregon has done it since I've lived here.  23 years. I've never read or heard anything about fraud.  This is such an odd take.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, yak651 said:

Sad thing is Trump being censored is getting more play than Trump censoring the economic report

He wasn’t censored.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

But.......but that's the only way Oregon has done it since I've lived here.  23 years. I've never read or heard anything about fraud.  This is such an odd take.  

Not sure how it's done in Oregon but here is the process in Colorado.  About 10 days before you get your ballot you get a notice to expect it. After you vote you get a notification either by text or email (not sure which it is ) saying they received your vote. 

This is a very slippery slope.  Can @Joe Bryant now be sued for banning or suspending someone that doesn’t meet his ground rules, even as a private owner of this forum?  Even though I’m not sure this will have any teeth, I don’t like this at all....

11 minutes ago, lakerstan said:

This is a very slippery slope.  Can @Joe Bryant now be sued for banning or suspending someone that doesn’t meet his ground rules, even as a private owner of this forum?  Even though I’m not sure this will have any teeth, I don’t like this at all....

If I open a business and a guy walks in shouting racist stuff. I ask him to leave and he doesn't. Can he say he has the right to say whatever he wants without any recourse from me, the business owner? I lose business and go under because of him, am I able to sue him? Answer would be 'no' because the lawsuit would infringe on his "first amendment" right at the cost of my income and so on.

Too many Republicans that I hear from only think of today and don't care how they got to today. Nor do they think about tomorrow or the next day when it comes to things they did today. I wonder what the response will be from the Radical Right Wing about Trump attempting to socialize social media.

• Like 1

Stolen from twitter:

Imagine if Trump responded to the threat of COVID-19 as quickly as he responded to himself being fact-checked on Twitter.

🤔

• Like 4
  • Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Stolen from twitter:

Imagine if Trump responded to the threat of COVID-19 as quickly as he responded to himself being fact-checked on Twitter.

🤔

"The United States does stand out among its peer nations in the Group of 20, the world’s financial powers. (The G-20 is composed of 19 countries, including China, and the European Union.)

Only Italy and Australia preceded the United States in imposing travel restrictions — though they were announced the same day"

Seems like Trump did as good of a job as you could expect, when in comparison to our peers.

Edited by giantcookie
  • Laughing 1

10 minutes ago, giantcookie said:

"The United States does stand out among its peer nations in the Group of 20, the world’s financial powers. (The G-20 is composed of 19 countries, including China, and the European Union.)

Only Italy and Australia preceded the United States in imposing travel restrictions — though they were announced the same day"

Seems like Trump did as good of a job as you could expect, when in comparison to our peers.

When you really didn’t stop anything from coming here it is not exactly anything to hang your hat on.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, giantcookie said:

Trump was terrible.  His response was terrible.  We can, and we should, demand better.

Own it.  Move on.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, General Malaise said:

So no application for an absentee ballot?  Must explain why Democrats hold Governor, both Senators, all but one US Reps, both houses of state legislature.  

3 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

When you really didn’t stop anything from coming here it is not exactly anything to hang your hat on.

3 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Trump was terrible.  His response was terrible.  We can, and we should, demand better.

Own it.  Move on.

I disagree. However, I think Andrew Cuomo should go to prison for how he handled it. Sending covid 19 patients to the nursing home was a death sentence to the elderly.

6 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

So no application for an absentee ballot?  Must explain why Democrats hold Governor, both Senators, all but one US Reps, both houses of state legislature.  

This might have something to do with it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Oregon

Main article: List of political parties in Oregon

According to the state's election agency, as of December 2019, there were 2,813,802 registered voters in Oregon, with their political party affiliations (highest to lowest) as follows:[27]

34.4% Democratic Party

34.0% "Non-affiliated" with any party

24.9% Republican Party

4.4% Independent Party

Gee if only Trump could put together a group to research voter fraud? Bet they could find all this massive voter fraud going on.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 3
  • Thinking 2

1 hour ago, squistion said:

This might have something to do with it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Oregon

Main article: List of political parties in Oregon

According to the state's election agency, as of December 2019, there were 2,813,802 registered voters in Oregon, with their political party affiliations (highest to lowest) as follows:[27]

34.4% Democratic Party

34.0% "Non-affiliated" with any party

24.9% Republican Party

4.4% Independent Party

so not just voter fraud, but registration fraud too?! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

Have you ever been to Oregon?  It’s as granola as it gets.  

20 minutes ago, Mile High said:

Gee if only Trump could put together a group to research voter fraud? Bet they could find all this massive voter fraud going on.

Or none and it would be disbanded after coming up empty.  

FYI, not sure if it's been discussed or not. We hashed it out in another thread. 

Political affiliation is not a protect class at the federal level, but, it is in California. Where Twitter is located. They cannot discriminate agaist customers based on political affiliation.  Fact checking Trump tweets and not his democratic equal would be against the law in California.  IMO.  

8 minutes ago, tonydead said:

FYI, not sure if it's been discussed or not. We hashed it out in another thread. 

Political affiliation is not a protect class at the federal level, but, it is in California. Where Twitter is located. They cannot discriminate agaist customers based on political affiliation.  Fact checking Trump tweets and not his democratic equal would be against the law in California.  IMO.  

I think that settles it.

6 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

Huh? What are you talking about?  We all vote by mail here.  It's convenient.  We all like it.  Sorry we elected the people in power I guess?

I voted for a Republican treasurer and he won.  Then died. :(

Voting by mail is how it should be done everywhere.  :shrug:

4 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Have you ever been to Oregon?  It’s as granola as it gets.  

Just Portland and Eugene.  Rest of the state is basically Idaho without the skinhead Nazis.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonydead said:

Well when a Democrat get elected POTUS (his equal) and then makes and erroneous claim on Twitter then maybe that theory can be tested.  

11 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I'd rather they just continue to fact check him. Expose the lies for everyone to see. Otherwise you are just making the poor little guy a victim. 

Just Trump, or all their users?  

7 minutes ago, Snotbubbles said:

Just Trump, or all their users?  

He's not the first to be factchecked and won't be the last. I guess any user who makes a habit of posting inaccuracies.

26 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

He's not the first to be factchecked and won't be the last. I guess any user who makes a habit of posting inaccuracies.

Don't know how accurate the report was but from what the report said he was the first person Twitter fact-checked.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Snotbubbles said:

Don't know how accurate the report was but from what the report said he was the first person Twitter fact-checked.

That's not accurate. They have been fact checking users that have been posting bogus information about the corona virus.

https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/product/2020/updating-our-approach-to-misleading-information.html

Edited by Leroy Hoard
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

33 million mail in votes in 2016.

He's trying everything he can to win this one.

And when did Republicans want the government to tell private companies what to do?

Edited by belljr
  • Like 1

Twitter has upped the ante by posting a notice on another of Trumps tweets that violated the terms of service....

9 minutes ago, belljr said:

33 million mail in votes in 2016.

He's trying everything he can to win this one.

And when did Republicans want the government to tell private companies what to do?

Social media platforms have become a place where a large percentage of the population gets their "news".  The whole Trump-Russia collusion stuff was rooted in social media misinformation.  Do you think the Facebook and Twitter revised their policies on political information without some government interference?  Also, Twitter is a public company.   

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, Snotbubbles said:

Social media platforms have become a place where a large percentage of the population gets their "news".  The whole Trump-Russia collusion stuff was rooted in social media misinformation.  Do you think the Facebook and Twitter revised their policies on political information without some government interference?  Also, Twitter is a public company.   

Twitter is a "publicly held" company in terms of stock ownership.  It is still a private company in that it is not owned/operated by the government.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Snotbubbles said:

So is the government going to tell Walmart, Exxon, Verizon, home depot, Ford and all the other publicly traded company how to run their day to day operations?

Eta: I'm not a Democrat or Republican.  I'm pretty straight down the middle. There are policies and things I like on both sides.  Im probably a little socially liberal and little fiscally conservative.  Anyway, I think both parties are ridiculous.  Im tired of politics of both groups.  No one is even trying anymore. For example, George W,  for all his faults and policies was at least a compassionate man.

I just want someone to be a professional and at least act the part. And I want freaking both parties at least try to help Americans instead of "getting wins" at all costs

The current President is an embarrassment to the World and U.S. as a leader, imo.  Not policy related, just as a leader.

That's my rant before I get accused of being a "lib"

Edited by belljr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

Republicans should see Trump's actions as a textbook definition of " the Slippery Slope that they might have to deal with when they don't have Executive Office power".

We’re long passed that. Both sides of the aisle have embraced the power of the Executive and abandoned checks setup by the Legislative branch. Executive orders have been increasing for a while and neither side cares to stop. President Obama really went wild with it and after a point I remember tons of Republicans reacting by promising to do the same thing if in power rather than fighting against the spread of the Executive. Both sides are going to rail against the abuse of Executive power when they don’t hold the office and then abuse the heck out of it when they do.

There are legitimate small government supporters out here, but are kind are less and less all the time and our warnings are constantly ignored. When President Obama was issuing executive order after executive order because of “the obstructionist Republicans”, his supporters and supporters of his policies cheered while deriding those of us who warned that it set a bad precedent and could be abused by their opponents just as easily. Now here we are and Republicans, an opportunist party who no longer even pretends to be about small government, is doing the same thing to the horror of those who formerly supported the indiscriminate use and expansion of executive power.

We’re far down the slippery slope and I’m not sure there’s a path back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Twitter has upped the ante by posting a notice on another of Trumps tweets that violated the terms of service....

Twitter has hidden one of Donald Trump’s tweets behind a warning that it “glorifies violence”, further escalating the social media company’s row with the US president.

The US president’s tweet, posted on Thursday night Washington time, warned people in Minneapolis protesting against the killing of a black man, George Floyd, by a white police officer that he would send the military to intervene if there was “any difficulty”.

“When the looting starts, the shooting starts,” Trump wrote, apparently quoting the former Miami police chief Walter Headley, who in December 1967 promised violent reprisals to protests over stop-and-frisk tactics.

Two hours later, Twitter added a notice to the tweet: “This tweet violated the Twitter Rules about glorifying violence. However, Twitter has determined that it may be in the public’s interest for the tweet to remain accessible.” 

The warning was accompanied by a link to its policies about public interest exceptions.

For people visiting Trump’s Twitter timeline, or seeing the tweet retweeted on their feed, the warning obscures the content until they tap to view it.

Users who try to reply to the tweet are instead presented with a second notice that reads: “We try to prevent a tweet like this that otherwise breaks the Twitter rules from reaching more people, so we have disabled most of the ways to engage with it.” Existing replies no longer appear below it.

The tweet’s spread will also be limited by Twitter’s algorithms, according to the company’s policy documents

• Like 1

If there's a chance they could lose liability protections, then it make sense for Twitter to closely monitor dangerous loose cannons like Trump.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pollardsvision said:

If there's a chance they could lose liability protections, then it make sense for Twitter to closely monitor dangerous loose cannons like Trump.

Exactly.  What do people think is going to happen here? More monitoring of post not less.

Posted (edited)

Speaking of fact checking both sides, it really highlights just how fundamentally different Trump is. 

Fact checking most politicians on Twitter would be a completely worthless endeavor. The traditional model for politicians is to be respectful, not actively try to enrage people, to speak in generalities that most would agree with, and try avoid blatant lies. Traditionally, politicians don't put wild lies and misinformation on a platter to make it easy for fact-checkers.

The Twitter feed for most politicians is a bunch of milquetoast politician speak. 

For a lot of Trump followers, this is why they like him. Instead of the same old politician, they get somebody that "tells it like it is". Of course, it's a falsehood to think that means telling the truth. 

Actually, anecdotally, everyone I've ever met that says they "tells it like it is" or "calls it like they see it" or "keeps it real" is not generally somebody I'd like to have as a leader.  It usually means an emotional, immature person that doesn't put in much thought before the words come out.

Edited by pollardsvision
  • Like 4
  • Thinking 1