What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about baseball this year? (1 Viewer)

Thoughts on MLB 2020

• Can't wait for the season

Votes: 28 11.9%
  • Still pretty excited for the season

Votes: 46 19.5%
  • Apathetic about having a season or not

Votes: 162 68.6%

• Total voters
Capella said:
Cards game cancelled again tonight. More Rona. 
@Ken_Rosenthal: MLB officially announces postponement of Cubs-Cardinals series and says two additional STL players and a staff member have tested positive in samples collected the past two days. Brings total of positive tests with club to 16 - nine players, seven staffers.

@NREC34  hasn’t posted about Betts in awhile 
You’re right. I don’t even know what he’s doing. I started losing interest in the sport and this thread when your boy (on a proven cheat team as well) threw at our guys heads twice and lots of people cheered it. Speaks volumes about them...

You’re right. I don’t even know what he’s doing. I started losing interest in the sport and this thread when your boy (on a proven cheat team as well) threw at our guys heads twice and lots of people cheered it. Speaks volumes about them...
So you have no trouble rooting for a team full of admitted cheaters, but throwing behind a guy (and actually hitting no one) drives you from the sport?

Seems really weird 

You cheered on huge cheaters but now are not watching the sport because some message board dudes you’ve never met and will never meet cheered on a beanball?? :lmao:  

I'll fill you in. 

Betts is doing very very well. Because he's a great player and all.

Watching the Tigers/Pirates game and there was just a nasty collision with 2 fielders going after a pop up in foul territory. Crazy to see a stretcher have to come out and mobilize a guy in baseball.

Also crazy that shots of the dugouts and bullpens show way too many guys not wearing a mask while right next to each other. They really are just asking to end up having to shut it all back down.

from Twitter... #STLCards  players are being informed today that the team will not be assembling for at least 3-5 days and to get in workouts on their own, per source. Pittsburgh series likely will be canceled

That would mean the #STLCards  would be playing 55 games in 46 days for full season. Uncle!

:lmao:  

Cards can’t just start up again after two weeks can they? Seems that would be a death knell for some of their arms. 

Cards can’t just start up again after two weeks can they? Seems that would be a death knell for some of their arms. 
You can keep throwing on your own.  You can even throw bull pens and stay more than  6 feet away from each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I feel about baseball?

I'm the worst fear of MLB come to fruition. I'm a 51 year old white male and I'm 100% ambivalent about MLB. They started to lose me about 20 years ago. Eventually I got to the point where I stopped following the sport entirely.  I don't have an opinion about the state of baseball either way. I believe Seager is still a Seattle Mariner. Other than him I can't name another player on the roster. I used to watch when I knew Felix was pitching, but haven't watched a game in at least a couple of years. 

I guess I bothered to respond to the thread. :shrug:  

I'm the worst fear of MLB come to fruition. I'm a 51 year old white male and I'm 100% ambivalent about MLB. They started to lose me about 20 years ago. Eventually I got to the point where I stopped following the sport entirely.  I don't have an opinion about the state of baseball either way. I believe Seager is still a Seattle Mariner. Other than him I can't name another player on the roster. I used to watch when I knew Felix was pitching, but haven't watched a game in at least a couple of years. 

I am the same way. Started watching a little bit this season just so I can have more entertainment. 

I have torn my achilles.  It feels like someone hits you in the heel with a bat.  But once it happens it doesn't really hurt anymore.  It just feels odd (at least on a complete tear)   I walked off the basketball court, took a shower (I did it at lunchtime from work), went to my boss to tell him I was going to the doctor.  Drove (tore the left achilles) to the doctor and he didn't even need an MRI.  Had surgery the next day.
I completely tore mine about 15 years ago.  Honestly, it didn't hurt at all.  It felt like someone threw a basketball (which I was playing at the time) against the back of my calf.  I even turned around to see who threw the ball at me since a rascally buddy of mine was on the sidelines at the time.  My leg got heavy and I knew something was wrong.  Knew it wasn't a sprain (had done that 100s of times before) and I didn't think anything was broken.  Went to one of those urgent care centers and they did an x-ray and saw nothing.  Went to my orthopedic guy the next day and he put my leg up on the table, squeezed my calf and with my foot not moving as it was supposed to, knew in 2 seconds what had happened and said "see ya in surgery!"

I completely tore mine about 15 years ago.  Honestly, it didn't hurt at all.  It felt like someone threw a basketball (which I was playing at the time) against the back of my calf.  I even turned around to see who threw the ball at me since a rascally buddy of mine was on the sidelines at the time.  My leg got heavy and I knew something was wrong.  Knew it wasn't a sprain (had done that 100s of times before) and I didn't think anything was broken.  Went to one of those urgent care centers and they did an x-ray and saw nothing.  Went to my orthopedic guy the next day and he put my leg up on the table, squeezed my calf and with my foot not moving as it was supposed to, knew in 2 seconds what had happened and said "see ya in surgery!"
Yep very similar to my experience (without the x-ray).  When it happened I asked the guy guarding me if he kicked me or landed on me.  Once he said no I got the cold sweats knowing it was bad.  When I was at the primary care doctor (so I could get referred) he felt where your achilles should be and his response was, "it's all mushy".  I said yep, that's bad huh?.  He immediately referred me to the ortho and he did the same calf squeeze and said I have an opening for surgery tomorrow afternoon, see you then. 

ETA:  Very long recovery time.  I was in a cast for 4 weeks and a boot for 8 more before I could put any weight on it.  I then had another 3 or 4 weeks with the boot but could walk on it.  Terrible injury to get.  I was never explosive but now it takes forever to get going.  I read somewhere it is the most common injury of active males between 35-45.  I was 39 at the time.  Right in the middle.  Awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep very similar to my experience (without the x-ray).  When it happened I asked the guy guarding me if he kicked me or landed on me.  Once he said no I got the cold sweats knowing it was bad.  When I was at the primary care doctor (so I could get referred) he felt where your achilles should be and his response was, "it's all mushy".  I said yep, that's bad huh?.  He immediately referred me to the ortho and he did the same calf squeeze and said I have an opening for surgery tomorrow afternoon, see you then. 

ETA:  Very long recovery time.  I was in a cast for 4 weeks and a boot for 8 more before I could put any weight on it.  I then had another 3 or 4 weeks with the boot but could walk on it.  Terrible injury to get.  I was never explosive but now it takes forever to get going.  I read somewhere it is the most common injury of active males between 35-45.  I was 39 at the time.  Right in the middle.  Awesome!
I was about 32 but I had my feet/ankles compromised so to speak in a car accident a year or so before it happened.  Yeah, the recovery was a beast.  At least the scar is cool.  :coffee:

OK

I'm in the same place.   20 years ago I could talk baseball for hours.  Now I doubt I could name 10 players in the entire league.   

This Fernando Tatis Jr. "controversy" has to be the dumbest thing ever. 

Kid smacks a HR on a 3-0 pitch when his team is up 7 in the 8th and the Rangers are crying about it?  Were they planning to just lay down in their last 2 AB's or where they going to try and make a come back?

Just absurd.

Kid smacks a HR on a 3-0 pitch when his team is up 7 in the 8th and the Rangers are crying about it?  Were they planning to just lay down in their last 2 AB's or where they going to try and make a come back?

Just absurd.
It's ridiculous, confirmed by the fact that no one can give a legitimate reason why he shouldn't be swinging other than "it's just an unwritten rule". Anything else will reveal that you want the Padres to give up on competing.

Someone pointed out that last year the Padres lost a game where they were up by something ridiculous like 11 runs at one point or blew a 7 run lead from the 8th inning on. 

It's ridiculous, confirmed by the fact that no one can give a legitimate reason why he shouldn't be swinging other than "it's just an unwritten rule". Anything else will reveal that you want the Padres to give up on competing.

Someone pointed out that last year the Padres lost a game where they were up by something ridiculous like 11 runs at one point or blew a 7 run lead from the 8th inning on. 
I have never heard of that "unwritten rule".  There are plenty out there in blowouts (don't steal, don't take extra bases) but don't hit isn't one them.  Realistically you should be swinging because sitting up there taking a walk when up by a bunch seems worse to me than getting some hacks.  This is just a big ole whiny baby situation. 

Just absurd.
Slow news day for the beat writers I guess. No COVID discussion to talk about...

So this happened last night during the White Sox v. Tigers game.  :D

https://twitter.com/NBCSWhiteSox/status/1295562093513584640

Luis Robert is a stud. And he's only played 20 games in MLB. He's going to be a huge force over the next 10 years. Eloy is definitely a work in progress in LF but damn, his stick is fire. 

And despite the obvious bias as a White Sox fan but I just love Steve Stone and Jason Benetti together calling games. They are just fun to listen to. 

Luis Robert is a stud. And he's only played 20 games in MLB. He's going to be a huge force over the next 10 years. Eloy is definitely a work in progress in LF but damn, his stick is fire. 

And despite the obvious bias as a White Sox fan but I just love Steve Stone and Jason Benetti together calling games. They are just fun to listen to. 
Love the look on the left fielders face.  :lol:

"Left field: Bugs Bunny. Center field: Bugs Bunny. Right Field: Bugs Bunny..."

Buttermaker told Luis to get to anything he can and make every play.  It's not his fault.  He was just doing what his coach told him to do.

Just absurd.

I have never heard of that "unwritten rule".  There are plenty out there in blowouts (don't steal, don't take extra bases) but don't hit isn't one them.  Realistically you should be swinging because sitting up there taking a walk when up by a bunch seems worse to me than getting some hacks.  This is just a big ole whiny baby situation. 
Damn that's stupid 

If you're at bat, swing and try to get a hit. Maybe don't slide with your cleats up into the 2nd baseman, but you gotta hit.

-OZ- said:
That look from Jimenez :lmao:
He's like a little kid out there and is fun to watch. His tilted hat, his goofy looks. Heck, the whole team is fun to watch. Their core is young and talented and I can't wait to see them continue to develop over the next couple of years.

If you need a team to adopt, the White Sox would be a good choice going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread